Melbourne Football

Mate Dugandzic

kontra.11

Hope he recovers well, takes his time doing his rehabilitation and comes back fresh for next year, feel for the guy.

Also heard JA say we aren't going to sign a replacement, i.e. an NYL player will be promoted. Thoughts on who that might be?

JA mentioned Gol Gol and Ben Garuccio. Gol Gol came on and scored tonight after replacing Fred who was in Mate's usual position???

It is great to see the young guys getting a run. Hopefully we can develop and KEEP the players that come in and excel. And sign Beckham :).

p.s. Hope Mate gets back to form and stays well during his re-hab. Must be frustrating for him.

Edited by Peter

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Mate: How to attack out of midfield

Learn how to play like Heart's skilful attacking midfielder Mate Dugandzic

dugandzic-how-to-play-as-a-winger.jpg

Beating opponents in one-on-one situations

"The distance between you and your opponent, while trying to beat an opponent, is very important. If you are too close, they'll be able to put a foot in. Too far, they'll be able to react.

"The main focus is trying to get them off balance. Whilst running at an opponent with pace, try to get the defender to move his feet into unnatural positions. Move the ball into positions that you yourself don't find uncomfortable by simply dropping a shoulder. If you're able to get the opponent off balance, the easier it should be for you to get past."

How to execute your favourite skill to beat an opponent

"The ‘scissors’ are probably my favorite, in the sense that you're able to keep up a decent pace whilst attempting the trick. I'd like to think that by facing the goal you'll have an advantage beating your defender due to them having to turn their body around to chase you. Also if you attempt one step over and the defender still remains in a good position, I'm still able to attempt another or assess the situation due to relative ease of the trick."

Creating space to shoot or cross

"There is always plenty of space behind your opposition. If you’re able to get in behind their defence, the more space you'll have at your disposal and the easier it will be to deliver a cross or shot.

"But if you come into situation where the opposition have organised themselves, faking a shot or cross can expose your opponent and they will be drawn into blocking your attempt. If they do 'bite' and try to block your shot or cross, your opponent will be vulnerable. By dragging the ball or tapping the ball past them you should be able to find a small amount of space which is all you need."

Set-pieces, executing a shot or cross from a dead ball

"Every single player strikes the ball differently. If you can, go on YouTube and see how the best players in the world hit set-pieces. Strike the ball how you see comfortable. Repetition is the most important thing on hitting dead balls. The more you are able to practice the more you’ll improve."

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/au/pro-tips/mate-how-to-attack-out-of-midfield

I'm looking forward to seeing him back next season.

Edited by Murfy1

• 2 weeks later...

From Facebook:

Behind the scenes with Matè Dugandzic

Since suffering a broken foot against Adelaide in November, Matè has been working hard to return to fitness:

“Wearing the boot was the most frustrating! The screw in my foot has since been removed and I’ve also had surgery on my hips.” Physiotherapist, Belinda Pacella said “his rehabilitation is well ahead of schedule. He’s very committed and we’re on target. He will be ready for modified training with the team once pre-season resumes and at full capacity by July. The surgery on his hips was successful. It has really freed his movement and we will definitely see a much more agile player.”

Will be very keen to see Mate back on the pitch doing his best work.

• Like 3

From Facebook:

Behind the scenes with Matè Dugandzic

Since suffering a broken foot against Adelaide in November, Matè has been working hard to return to fitness:

“Wearing the boot was the most frustrating! The screw in my foot has since been removed and I’ve also had surgery on my hips.” Physiotherapist, Belinda Pacella said “his rehabilitation is well ahead of schedule. He’s very committed and we’re on target. He will be ready for modified training with the team once pre-season resumes and at full capacity by July. The surgery on his hips was successful. It has really freed his movement and we will definitely see a much more agile player.”

Will be very keen to see Mate back on the pitch doing his best work.

If we had Mate and Behich killing them on the wings we would have looked a half decent side last season IMO.

• 6 months later...

Thought i would give this thread a much needed bump.

Ever since he came back from that injury last season, he's been half the player he was before hand. Do people still reckon he should start or come off the bench? 

Gol gol actually played quite well when coming on in the second half, i personally think he should start over mate.

Ever since he came back from that injury last season, he's been half the player he was before hand. Do people still reckon he should start or come off the bench? 

Gol gol actually played quite well when coming on in the second half, i personally think he should start over mate.

The warning signes where their for the first couple of games last season, I think Mate has been the worst effected by JA's time in charge.

He is a shadow of his S2 self.

• Like 2

you can tell he's lost all his confidence. Struggles to get past players, rarely blazes down the line, and his decision making has been quite poor. From how im seeing it now, id rather have Golgol over Duga on the wing.

You can see him pull out of all 50-50 chances.. It will take time to get over this and hoping this is sooner rather than later

I think Gol gol plays way better when he comes off the bench. Perhaps a half time sub if Mate plays shit?

Edited by Tony999

you can tell he's lost all his confidence. Struggles to get past players, rarely blazes down the line, and his decision making has been quite poor. From how im seeing it now, id rather have Golgol over Duga on the wing.

You can see him pull out of all 50-50 chances.. It will take time to get over this and hoping this is sooner rather than later

Also caught ball-watching frequently, and being back on his heels before he starts to move. Sadly no longer A-League standard due to the combination of injury and the awful way we are playing. Also not helped by the right back position, which I said at the beginning of this season was going to be a problem for us.

Also caught ball-watching frequently, and being back on his heels before he starts to move. Sadly no longer A-League standard due to the combination of injury and the awful way we are playing. Also not helped by the right back position, which I said at the beginning of this season was going to be a problem for us.

I think its quite evident now the most reliable and IMO best Full Back this club ever had was Marrone.

He was a big part in Aziz and Mate being much better players two seasons ago.

Not arguing about the quality of Marrone, but Walker last season looked good with Garcia with him on the right.

Football is a team sport and without being surrounded by quality, individual players get sunk.

I like the idea of Williams being on the right in front of Walker as Williams gets back and tackles well and would support Walker. Dugandzic could then move into the no. 10 position. Worth a try if we have to stick to the current formation as things aren't working as they are. But then again, who am I?

Not arguing about the quality of Marrone, but Walker last season looked good with Garcia with him on the right.

Football is a team sport and without being surrounded by quality, individual players get sunk.

I like the idea of Williams being on the right in front of Walker as Williams gets back and tackles well and would support Walker. Dugandzic could then move into the no. 10 position. Worth a try if we have to stick to the current formation as things aren't working as they are. But then again, who am I?

Williams has never been very defensively minded when deployed on the wing for us...

Dugandzic has always appeared to me to be someone who would be a much better player if he had been able to playing circa 2000 as a part of a partnership with someone like Viduka, Sutton or a even a young Heskey.

• 1 month later...
Dugandzic: Relieved but not satisfied

By Jordan Lim   January 18, 2014

Match winner Mate Dugandzic has spoken of the relief in the Melbourne Heart camp after his side secured a maiden victory for the season, beating Newcastle Jets 3-1 at AAMI Park.

Dugandzic netted a brace either side of the half-time break to ensure Heart’s winless streak ended at 20 games.

The forward was pleased with not only the result, but also with the performance his team put on show for a win hungry Melbourne crowd.

“Obviously happy, a little bit of a sense of relief,” he said.

“We played quite well, especially in the first half – it felt like we dominated the majority of the play.

“They only really had the one shot on goal and obviously it went in but that’s the way it goes sometimes, but we were able to come back and were able to fight back, so that a promising thing we can take out of the game as well.”

Dugandzic was in particular proud of his sides ability to come back from a goal down, and turn the game on its head on the stroke of half-time.

“I supposed we were always into the game, we felt like we were dominating,” he said.

“They scored against the run of play but when Iain [Ramsay] scored, it felt like it gave us an extra boost.

“We knew we were always in the match, we always knew we were going to create more and more chances throughout the match, so we just wanted to take one and thankfully it took a slight deflection and went in.

“That changed the tide a little bit for us and we got on top a lot more.”

Dugandzic put Heart 2-1 up minutes later ensuring coach John van ‘t Schip had a much easier half-time talk.

“[van ‘t Schip] said to keep on going the way we were, keep on creating chances and hopefully we’ll manage to get one and thankfully we did,” Dugandzic said.

“Obviously there was a couple more chances, I’ll put my hand up I probably should have scored two more.”

Despite the victory, Dugandzic remains grounded, preferring to look at the whole season so far as the basis for judgement.

“We know ourselves there’s a long way to go into the season and playing 14-15 games and winning only one game, its not good enough, we know that ourselves.

“[van ‘t Schip] has come in and he’s wanted us to play, so I’ve felt like the style of play has been slightly different, and we’ll keep on going the way we are and hopefully we’ll get a few more results.”

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/dugandzic-relieved-satisfied/

Great game last night. Looked like the 7 goals 7 assists Dugandzic of his first season at Heart. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Dugandzic pushes for further improvement

Tuesday, 21 January 2014

00083777-leadimage.png

Mate Dugandzic’s two goals on Friday night helped Melbourne Heart FC to a 3-1 win in the Club’s 100th Hyundai A-League match, but the winger has called on further improvement from the Red and White.

Dugandzic said the team had remained grounded in its celebrations following the team's first win of the 2013-14 season, and recognised improvement is still required to resurrect the campaign.

“To be honest, there wasn’t too much celebrating; we were all happy and relieved to get the first win,” Dugandzic said.

“[but] we know ourselves it’s a long way into the season, playing 14-15 games winning only one game, it’s not good enough, we know that ourselves, so it was pretty low-key – just a few high-fives.”

While Dugandzic said the team did not dwell too much on the win, it could take a number of positives out of the result and performance.

“I suppose we could take a few positives out of the match, we played quite well, especially in the first half we dominated the majority of play… and we were able to fight back [from a goal down] and that was a promising thing we could take out of the game as well.”

There was a slight scare for the Red and White when Taylor Regan's header hit the back of the net in the 37th minute giving the Newcastle Jets a shock 1-0 lead, but Dugandzic said the overwhelming feeling was not one of panic.

Instead of retreating, the Red and White took a stranglehold on the match, with Dugandzic playing a pivotal role in the momentum swing.

“I suppose we felt like we were always in the game, we felt like we were dominating - obviously they scored against the run of play,” Dugandzic said.

“But when Iain [Ramsay] scored it felt like it gave us an extra boost; we knew we were always in the match, we always knew that we were going to create more and more chances.”

Dugandzic’s first goal, on the stroke of half-time and a minute after Ramsay’s equaliser, turned the tide in the Red and White’s favour with the score at 2-1.

“When the opposition concedes two late goals, they are going to be feeling a little bit frustrated with themselves," Dugandzic said.

"[JVS] said at half time to keep on going the way we were and keep on creating chances, and hopefully we can manage to get another one.

"Thankfully we did and obviously there were a couple more chances; i'll put my hand up and say 'I should have scored two more'."

While he was the first to admit he could improve his finishing, Dugandzic still managed to seal the result with an excellent third goal.

"It was great, obviously it was a fantastic through ball by Iain; he saw me make the run and it was a perfectly weighted pass," Dugandzic said.

"The keeper came out and I had a feeling he was going to jump so I just hit it low and thankfully it went in. It was fantastic to score in front of the Yarraside and get the win."

Dugandzic's two goal haul has earned him plaudits in the media and the Hyundai A-League’s 'Player of the Week', but the winger is just happy to be playing regularly after a long injury lay-off last season.

"Football is a team sport and at the end of the day I was on the end of two fantastic passes, one from Aziz and one by Iain," Dugandzic said.

"Coming back from injury was tough, but I'm here now and you can't really complain too much about what has happened, you just need to move on and keep on moving forward."

Player Stats

Mate Dugandzic

Matches Played: 14

Games Started: 11

Substitute On: 3

Substitute Off: 7

Goals: 2

Assists: 2

Yellow Cards: 1

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Dugandzic-pushes-for-further-improvement/83777

Didulica told SEN today that Dugandzic had 4 different surgical procedures over the off-season, so it was always going to take him a while to start performing near his peak after so many issues with injuries and recovery. After effectively missing the whole of last season, it's good to see the real Dugandzic back. And now that he's fit and being coached by JVS, I reckon we'll see a lot more performances from him like the one we saw on Friday night.

Edited by Murfy1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would like Mate to be re-signed. 

My rationale is i think he has potential to be a very good player.  We saw in the 2011-2012 season (when he was only 22) what a positive contributor he could be.  Last year he had that horrible leg injury and this year he has taken most of it to recover from that injury (confidence wise etc).  His finishing this year has been terrible, granted, however I think he can improve a lot on what we've seen this year.

I think the bare minimum is a one year deal.

• Like 2

I would like Mate to be re-signed. 

My rationale is i think he has potential to be a very good player.  We saw in the 2011-2012 season (when he was only 22) what a positive contributor he could be.  Last year he had that horrible leg injury and this year he has taken most of it to recover from that injury (confidence wise etc).  His finishing this year has been terrible, granted, however I think he can improve a lot on what we've seen this year.

I think the bare minimum is a one year deal.

Agreed. There's still a lot of work to be done - definitely his finishing - but the improvement from the start of the season to now surely shows enough. Give him a full pre-season under a decent coach, and I believe we could be back to watching the Mate of 2011/12.