Melbourne Football

Rnd 22: Perth Glory v Melbourne City - Sunday 8th March at 6pm

n i k o

Will this game determine second position come end of season? 

Is a draw enough for us to finish in second position? Or can we do the seemingly near impossible and win a second game in a row for the first time since rounds 4-5 and do it away in Perth? 

So much on the line, can't wait for this one.

• Like 1

The above 3 posts are completely spot on.

The City we know would go to Perth and lose badly 3 or 4 nil, have a few wins to end the season finish 4th and lose again in the semis.

I'm hoping (based on pure hope) that we have learnt from our previous big game failures this season and play for a draw or a possible win. We maintain second and finally make a granny. 

Perth have conceded 12 goals out of 8 games played at home. Their next 3 home games are all against Victorian teams. 

Second is such a big leverage in finals as well because it means we are automatically in the semi and guaranteed a home game. Makes putting in a great performance this Sunday even more valuable. 

I saw a bit of the Jets v Glory game and thought Perth were toothless tbh.

Interestingly, the pen they received for the sliding handball didn't even end up in a caution for Boogard. Where as Delbridge in two very similar cases, received a 2nd yellow and a straight red...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Will this game determine second position come end of season? 

Is a draw enough for us to finish in second position? Or can we do the seemingly near impossible and win a second game in a row for the first time since rounds 4-5 and do it away in Perth? 

So much on the line, can't wait for this one.

Personally i think a draw here and we are the favourites to finish 2nd, albeit marginally. One slip up and we lose the initiative. Win and we are clear favourites, lose and Perth are clear favourites imo. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Personally i think a draw here and we are the favourites to finish 2nd, albeit marginally. One slip up and we lose the initiative. Win and we are clear favourites, lose and Perth are clear favourites imo. 

The pessimist that this club has created in me can't allow me to think a draw is enough for us to finish second. However if you could give me a choice between a draw right now or play out the game I'd take the draw for sure. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

The battle of 5th.

That is Perth are the 5th best home side in the league whilst we are, you guessed it, the 5th best away side.

Perth are going through a form slump right now. Given they haven’t had the best home form to start with, I see this as a very winnable game.

27 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

I think we should drop Florin this week get Susaeta into the number 10 role and get some pace onto the right wing! 
I’d push Natty to the Wing and play Galloway at RB ! 

It seems a bit of a risk to make 3 changes, 2 of them playing different positions and 1 coming in after not playing 90 minutes. And we would be changing a winning team. 

38 minutes ago, n i k o said:

It seems a bit of a risk to make 3 changes, 2 of them playing different positions and 1 coming in after not playing 90 minutes. And we would be changing a winning team. 

Just feel like Susaeta and florin had minimal impact in there roles on the weekend try and get more out of those positions 

Edited by Missing_Moy

Biggest game since the Newcastle semi-final in 2017-18, which we should’ve won. Win and we are favourites for ACL, lose and we will not be in second again. 

So given the stakes, I’m expecting a 3-1 loss with Kilkenny and Fornaroli to bury us.

19 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Being a fan of this club since inception and watching many games all I can say for this one is that we are no chance.

0%, Nada, zilch, zero, not a chance in hell, nope

Shut the thread, we never play well in Perth this will be a loss.

So glad you are keeping an open mind about it  lol.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Being a fan of this club since inception and watching many games all I can say for this one is that we are no chance.

0%, Nada, zilch, zero, not a chance in hell, nope

Shut the thread, we never play well in Perth this will be a loss.

Which of course means we will win

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a sense of excitement for this game.

I want to see a hard nut effort by our team battling to the very end like they did last week.

Mombaets really needs to get the boys to deliver balls to Jamie's feet and let him try to dance around the defenders because if Mombaets continues to attack from out wide and/or high balls then it won't be the right play against their tall backs.

For me this is a game that we need to adapt to win. Attacking through the centre is a must and Luna, Brilliante and Florin need to impose dominance in the midfield battle and released decisive through balls to our attacker's feet.

If we can achieve this it should be a good win and prove that we deserve 2nd place.

The game will be won in the midfield.

Looking forward to the game.

Come on City

• Like 1

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I want to see a hard nut effort by our team battling to the very end like they did last week.

Mombaets really needs to get the boys to deliver balls to Jamie's feet and let him try to dance around the defenders because if Mombaets continues to attack from out wide and/or high balls then it won't be the right play against their tall backs.

For me this is a game that we need to adapt to win. Attacking through the centre is a must and Luna, Brilliante and Florin need to impose dominance in the midfield battle and released decisive through balls to our attacker's feet.

If we can achieve this it should be a good win and prove that we deserve 2nd place.

Come on City

Haha ah yes I remember when I use to be optimistic about us playing in Perth too.

3-0 loss

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I could be wrong, but from what I noticed last week, I thought Berenguer aa

4 hours ago, playmaker said:

Come on City

I could be wrong, but from what I noticed last week, I thought Luna and Berenguer were a little too far away from each other when attacking. They seemed a bit too close to their respective sided wingers, which for mine, left a bit of a hole there.

I think little tweaks like tightening that will help us and allow us to drop that central ball in, instead of trying to move defences from side to side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

I could be wrong, but from what I noticed last week, I thought Berenguer aa

I could be wrong, but from what I noticed last week, I thought Luna and Berenguer were a little too far away from each other when attacking. They seemed a bit too close to their respective sided wingers, which for mine, left a bit of a hole there.

I think little tweaks like tightening that will help us and allow us to drop that central ball in, instead of trying to move defences from side to side.

Totally agree, we really need to look to play forward quickly to open up the central area by getting more players in that area which will open up the opposition by dragging their defenders away from their defensive lines. It will also hopefully encourage the forward central pass rather than the backward pass that we are so used to seeing and which allows the opposition time to organise themselves.

• Like 1