Melbourne Football

John Aloisi

kingofhearts

This guy is running the club into the ground. We've played 8 games now, and with only 2 wins, it is simply not good enough.

All he seems to do when we lose is come up with bullshit excuses such as 'it was too hot, thats why we lost!"

instead of taking blame himself for the teams poor performance.

He also seems content in allowing a goalkeeper who can't pass the ball for shit out of the backline, as well as allowing for a defender who i swear to God has never defended in a game in his life, he allows both of these people to continue to get constant minutes and cost us games we're neither of these people would even be on the bench for other clubs.

He also persisted in wasting one of our visa spots on a player who has not even been on the bench for one of our games, and who has yet had an opportunity to prove himself in a position we need filled dearly.

Simply he needs to be sacked, he is just not ready for coaching yet at this level

EDIT - Thread titled fixed. Stop derailing threads, everyone. - Ando

Edited by Ando
  • Like 1

I disagree with you. I can see JA's philosophy and I don't think that it's the problem. He wants to add some directness to our game that makes it more flexible although we then ean towards becoming more of a counter-attacking team - I think that suits our players better, we just can't pass accurately enough to be a possession based team. The big problem I think is our back 4 for reasons I've mentioned elsewhere: poor final balls from both Behich and Marrone, particularly Marrone often negates their excellent work upfield and marginalises Tadic and DMac. Colosimo does many fine things but makes too many fatal errors, Gerhardt would shine even more in midfield. I agree with you about Gray, he was impressive in the Hawwaii tournament and Aloisi (who coached him there) signed him on that basis - it mystifies me why he hasn't been played over Colosimo. Vrankovic would be a better option, he'll make as many mistakes but there's room to improve with experience unlike Colosimo. We will be markedly better with Grella and a good CB signing, we aren't playing so badly that we are never in the game (except against Perth) rather we just leak goals at a rate that really limits our chances of winning any game.

• Like 1

Aloisi is on a three-year contract. The Board obviously agonised over the decision between him and Milicic, and I doubt that having made their choice they are going to sack the guy in his first season.

I'd say that JA is the reason we have Garcia, and if he ever gets on the pitch, Grella. If we didn't have Garcia we would really be in the poo.

The question I have is whether JA has the balls to make the tough decisions that coaches have to make, such as to drop players who he played with and who are out of form. In general terms, to impose his will on the playing group. Something that Ange and Arnie do so well. I expected him to make tactical match-day errors such as he made on Saturday. Some coaches are lucky, but he unfortunately didn't get away with it.

Another question is how he gets on with Didulica. It is not necessarily the coach who makes the final decisions about signings, even though it might appear as though it is. And remember, he inherited certain players from the previous coach - Colosimo, Thompson are still on their initial contracts, and Hoffman, Behich and Marrone were both extended under Jv$. And a number of others including Fred and Germano are in the second year of a two-year contract.

• Like 1

I disagree with you. I can see JA's philosophy and I don't think that it's the problem. He wants to add some directness to our game that makes it more flexible although we then ean towards becoming more of a counter-attacking team - I think that suits our players better, we just can't pass accurately enough to be a possession based team. The big problem I think is our back 4 for reasons I've mentioned elsewhere: poor final balls from both Behich and Marrone, particularly Marrone often negates their excellent work upfield and marginalises Tadic and DMac. Colosimo does many fine things but makes too many fatal errors, Gerhardt would shine even more in midfield. I agree with you about Gray, he was impressive in the Hawwaii tournament and Aloisi (who coached him there) signed him on that basis - it mystifies me why he hasn't been played over Colosimo. Vrankovic would be a better option, he'll make as many mistakes but there's room to improve with experience unlike Colosimo. We will be markedly better with Grella and a good CB signing, we aren't playing so badly that we are never in the game (except against Perth) rather we just leak goals at a rate that really limits our chances of winning any game.

Well there's your problem Bela, JA being a striker luvs to strike and hates defenders. In fact he wouldn't give defenders a second thought. In fact he's probably not given OUR defence a thought at all thinking that if we bang in enough it'll make up for the ones that have been leaked. Well, maybe not working so well ATM.

We are not Victory, give it time, we will improve. We are probably just a Grella and a decent CB away from being good. let's not get on the silly sack the coach merry-go-round. That's what the other clb did and they wasted a whole year. We need to replace key members of our squad (not the coach) and we'll be fine.

We are not Victory, give it time, we will improve. We are probably just a Grella and a decent CB away from being good. let's not get on the silly sack the coach merry-go-round. That's what the other clb did and they wasted a whole year. We need to replace key members of our squad (not the coach) and we'll be fine.

Agreed, move our DM playing at CB into DM, put our Young Socceroo into CB, replace aging former socceroo with import CB, sign David Beckham "and every little thing gonna be alright".

• Like 2

I spoke to JA after the match at the Member's Function. He said that he was constrained to playing a 4-3-3 or variation thereof because of the injuries and availabilities of players. I said, "It would be great to see something completely different, like a 3-5-2 or something", to which he replied, "Yeah, I could see that happening if we had enough fit players through the midfield".

The bloke knows what is going on and how he wants to play, he just seems stuck in a situation where he has to work out how to play Hoffman and Kalmar without us looking like a bunch of tits.

I must admit JA is kinda growing on me, but i think he would've been a better assistant coach to iron out his flaws and further develop as a manager. Perhaps sacking is a bit harsh, but demoting to assistant is a much better porposition i feel, perhaps something to think about for next season.

The club is stuck with JA whether it turns out good or not. 3 years for a coach who has never coached a senior team is way too much. On top of that, having just as inexperienced Hayden Foxe as assistant means that neither can help each other when problems arise.

Poor Ante Milicic is more qualified than both of them. I don't think he is ready either but the club abandoned its plan of having Ante do an apprenticeship. JA seemed nothing more than a marketing decision and we lost Ante at the same time who has a lot of knowledge and history with this club and group of players..

The club should have gotten another good experienced coach from overseas and had Ante and JA under him for a season, then they would be ready.

Like this we have to tolerate JA and Foxe learning a lot of basic things on the job except that the club can't really afford it given it needs results to generate crowds and interest.

Victory figured out last season that you can have the best players but it means nothing without a good coach. We are learning the same thing now....unfortunately.... because I reckon JA is a top bloke.

Get rid of the 'sack' title of this thread.

Edited by kontra.11

I don't feel so negative about JA. He's worked under a lot of very good coaches including Javier Aguirre, I'm sure that he's learned a lot. Of course he's learning on the job, so is The Special One! I think that the problem is more around squad recruitment than a coaching issue, we really need to sign a good CB, either play or 'retire' Gray and sign a foreign player in January or a local player as we still have squad vacancies. We can sign a local immediately as an injury replacement for Mate. I would like to see JA use some of his Spanish connections as a recruitment source. With 25% unemployment and many footballers not being paid the HAL would be looking very attractive unless you were playing for the top half of Primera Liga

• Like 1

Sack aloisi, just like the sack tadic thread..

Time is all people need, people are so impatient. Tadic has come good and is now one of our best and aloisi signed him.

Please.. Enough with the sack "xxx" threads, I pride myself as being a heart supporter because we back our team reagardless.. Please don't tear this good name down

Arsene Wenger will be on the lookout for a new job soon... just sayin

Nah, he's not Dutch.

Feel a bit sorry for JA. After not sounding fazed missing the three for the Aussie camp, JA now appears to be under a bit of pressure.

From theage.com.au:

Frustrated Melbourne Heart coach John Aloisi called for the A-League to be put on hold when its players are required for Socceroos duty after his understrength side drew with Sydney FC on Sunday.

Aloisi took aim at officials after Sunday's bottom-of-the-table clash at Allianz Stadium, which left both sides occupying the last two spots on the ladder.

On a weekend where most teams lost players to an A-League-heavy Australia squad for the East Asian Cup qualifiers in Hong Kong, Heart were among the worst hit with Richard Garcia, Aziz Behich and Michael Marrone absent.

And rookie coach Aloisi felt it was unfair his ninth-placed side had to try and turn its season around without its best players.

Advertisement <iframe id="dcAd-1-4" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/adi/onl.age.news/news/breakingnewssport;cat=breakingnewssport;ctype=article;cat1=sport;cat2=soccer;pos=3;sz=300x250;tile=4;ord=7.4819342E7?" width='300' height='250' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"> </iframe>

"The national team have to do a job and the have to qualify and pick which players they feel should play for the national team," Aloisi said.

"But I don't understand how it's in the middle of the season and that nothing is done about it in our league.

"It seems that our three players that went missing, a top-of-the-table team only have one and another top side have two. Maybe they think that we're better than our position says."

Asked if the competition should be placed on hold for such occasions Aloisi said: "Yep. If you're going to have three players away for three weeks then yes.

"And I don't know what condition they are going to come back in.

"They have four games in eight days and by all means I'm not blaming the coaching staff of the national team because they have to worry about their job.

"But it doesn't make life easy for me. If I'm under pressure and I'm not winning games, they don't care."

Sydney were missing Brett Emerton and Terry Antonis for the clash, but incoming coach Frank Farina welcomed the result as the Sky Blues snapped a four-game losing streak.

Central Coast (20 points) lead the competition after nine rounds following their 2-1 win in the top-of-the-table battle against Adelaide United (19) on Saturday night.

Melbourne Victory (16) are third after continuing their recent good form with a 1-0 win over Perth Glory (11) on Friday night.

Newcastle (13) are in fourth after a 1-0 loss to seventh-placed Brisbane Roar (10).

Wellington Phoenix (12) climbed into the top six after defeating Western Sydney (10) at Westpac Stadium on Sunday.

The Heart (9) and Sydney (7) have plenty of work to do to get their campaigns back on track and the Sky Blues are sweating on the fitness of marquee star Alessandro Del Piero after he failed to finish Sunday's match due to a hamstring complaint.

A three year contract means little in football.

Didn't hear Aloisi complain when Wellington had seven players out.

Short memory.

What we might well ask is that if we're so good that three of our players are good enough for the national team, plus Garrucio and Vrankovic good enough for their age-group, why aren't we a lot higher up the league?

I wouldn't be calling for his head, but for the love of christ does he not watch what we're watching?

how many mistakes must shime make before he's dropped?

how many times must hoffman be out of position and gives away cheap FKs before he reckons, i'll try someone else there,?

Fred, Our chocolate captain - where to begin eh?

Squad needs a shake up. Have the balls to do it

Want to say one thing. Just watched the press interview. JA was upset, especially over the Garuccio incident, but he handled himself pretty well in the circumstances.

He's clearly feeling the pressure. Despite that he had some decent things to say about David Beckham.

Admire him for handling the situation as he did.

Want to say one thing. Just watched the press interview. JA was upset, especially over the Garuccio incident, but he handled himself pretty well in the circumstances.

He's clearly feeling the pressure. Despite that he had some decent things to say about David Beckham.

Admire him for handling the situation as he did.

Yeah that Garuccio thing.... What a fucking stooge.

But Aloisi needs time and the club will give it too him and this is why we are a better club than those other stooges in Melbourne

Edited by Dylan

He's a nice guy but he simply isn't ready for coaching yet. All he had was 1 year of coaching in youth team and that's it.

At least if he had surrounded himself with some older, wiser heads he would've been alright but the whole coaching staff is too in-experienced.

Should we lose to perth by a big margin next week it may be the last week we see him as coach

• Like 1

From the get go it's felt like the club, board, players and most of the supporters are content with mediocrity both on and off the pitch. For the most part no one really seemed bothered by the mediocre results of JVS' first two seasons. Excuses were constantly made like "We're a new club and need time to settle", "He's building a football club, the results will come", "We've got too many out" etc. And now you're spewing out the same for JA. "Give him time".

Off the field the board has seemed fine with living in the Victory's shadow. Not wanting to go after marquees for the first 2.3 years and just waiting for the crowds to show up. Countless excuses have been made like "We don't have the money for proper marketing", "The crowds will come when we start winning". There are plenty of quotes from Munn along these lines as well. Saying things like he's happy for Victory to have all the media attention.

There just seems to be this overwhelming feeling from the club that they're content with themselves and I'm sick of it. We need some ruthlessness. I want a club that not only expects greatness but demands it. A club that's willing to go out and be successful, not just cost cut and expect good crowds and results to land in it's lap. It's about time this club and it's supporters grew some balls and does something about our overall shitness.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

From the get go it's felt like the club, board, players and most of the supporters are content with mediocrity both on and off the pitch. For the most part no one really seemed bothered by the mediocre results of JVS' first two seasons. Excuses were constantly made like "We're a new club and need time to settle", "He's building a football club, the results will come", "We've got too many out" etc. And now you're spewing out the same for JA. "Give him time".

Off the field the board has seemed fine with living in the Victory's shadow. Not wanting to go after marquees for the first 2.3 years and just waiting for the crowds to show up. Countless excuses have been made like "We don't have the money for proper marketing", "The crowds will come when we start winning". There are plenty of quotes from Munn along these lines as well. Saying things like he's happy for Victory to have all the media attention.

There just seems to be this overwhelming feeling from the club that they're content with themselves and I'm sick of it. We need some ruthlessness. I want a club that not only expects greatness but demands it. A club that's willing to go out and be successful, not just cost cut and expect good crowds and results to land in it's lap. It's about time this club and it's supporters grew some balls and does something about our overall shitness.

Spot on, mate. Felt this way for most of last season. When my 73 year old father who would watch 22 ants fight over a crumb because he'd somewhere see a game of football in it, well when he says :"Don't take me to this shit anynore" like he did after home games last season, there's a fricken' problem.

No ambition, no leadership, no passion for the shirt from too may players for too many games.