Melbourne Football

Matchday 21: v Brisbane - Sunday 1st March 6.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

Great game after the first 20 minutes of boring nothingness, then the tempo ramped up and we had some great plays from the defensive 3rd. 

I still think we are playing too wide for Jamie and we really need to cut in centrally to Florin and Luna to get the ball to Jamie's feet so he can take on the defenders. Many opportunities arose but the wrong option was taken imo.

It was a physical game and we met the challenge where previously, more often than not, we would let the opposition bully us into a loss.

Overall it was a 'need to win' game and we won as a team.

Well done guys.

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Great game after the first 20 minutes of boring nothingness, then the tempo ramped up and we had some great plays from the defensive 3rd. 

I still think we are playing too wide for Jamie and we really need to cut in centrally to Florin and Luna to get the ball to Jamie's feet so he can take on the defenders. Many opportunities arose but the wrong option was taken imo.

It was a physical game and we met the challenge where previously, more often than not, we would let the opposition bully us into a loss.

Overall it was a 'need to win' game and we won as a team.

Well done guys.

In my opinion, one of Jmac's weakest feature is actually taking on defenders at one on one and general fieldplay. He just needs to be put one on one with the goalkeeper or get good low or high crosses so he can ran against them - Any more time on the ball will get to his head and he won't even get the shot on target, that's obvious the last couple of games.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

In my opinion, one of Jmac's weakest feature is actually taking on defenders at one on one and general fieldplay. He just needs to be put one on one with the goalkeeper or get good low or high crosses so he can ran against them - Any more time on the ball will get to his head and he won't even get the shot on target, that's obvious the last couple of games.

Possibly, but he needs to be given more opportunities because atm he is mainly delivered low crosses and doesn't get the ball at his feet anywhere near often enough.

9 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Possibly, but he needs to be given more opportunities because atm he is mainly delivered low crosses and doesn't get the ball at his feet anywhere near often enough.

Yes either low crosses cut out but the first defender or a high cross from Noone landing on the linesman's head. Surely we train on this but for starters Noone can't cross and Susaeta doesn't seem to get past his man to get a good cross in. It needs to a lot work still but is trainable. We also seem to be outnumbered on many occasions when we breakout it's usually Jmac and three defenders in the box, that would require a pin point cross. On Sunday the only time we had the numbers in the box was after a super long possesion spell.  

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yes either low crosses cut out but the first defender or a high cross from Noone landing on the linesman's head. Surely we train on this but for starters Noone can't cross and Susaeta doesn't seem to get past his man to get a good cross in. It needs to a lot work still but is trainable. We also seem to be outnumbered on many occasions when we breakout it's usually Jmac and three defenders in the box, that would require a pin point cross. On Sunday the only time we had the numbers in the box was after a super long possesion spell.  

Yes, pretty poor delivery, however I still think the wide play doesn't maximise our forward strengths.

Even if we try to come forward through the centre and get it to Jamie's feet, he may not have a clear shot but at least he may drag out 2 defenders and create space for other players running through.

We need some other plays to break up the deep defensive lines and become more unpredictable going forward.

And to add as many others have mentioned for a few seasons now, we need to move the ball faster and with more intent.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

And for the love of god and all humanity,  no more copying the Perth goalkeeper kick out chant ... it is SO fucking bad, probably worse than supporting the tards 

This. Lowest point in terrace history when i heard that. I could actually see @Embee convulsing next to me with digust.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 02/03/2020 at 3:40 PM, Tomi said:

How is Genreau "much better" just out of curiosity? Not being a smart arse, geniune question.

I rate both these lads (and all the youth), and would love to see them on the field together more, but with all due respect, Genreau's had 4 years to prove himself, Metcalfe's had about 4 months. If you compare their stats, Metcalfe is way ahead .......What is it that I'm not seeing??  

I find that Genreau is more dangerous with the ball at his feet, is a great passer and creates more opportunity for others compared to Metcalfe who does those things but is not as consistent as genreau when given the opportunity. Metcalfe is just not as consistent and has the tendency to float in and out of games where I find that when genreau has played he has had a greater effect on the team.

Not to take anything away from Metcalfe, who imo has had good patches during the season but I think at this point in time genreau is more consistent in imposing himself on a game and a better player compared to Metcalfe.

9 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I find that Genreau is more dangerous with the ball at his feet, is a great passer and creates more opportunity for others compared to Metcalfe who does those things but is not as consistent as genreau when given the opportunity. Metcalfe is just not as consistent and has the tendency to float in and out of games where I find that when genreau has played he has had a greater effect on the team.

Not to take anything away from Metcalfe, who imo has had good patches during the season but I think at this point in time genreau is more consistent in imposing himself on a game and a better player compared to Metcalfe.

I don't neccessarily think one is better than the other, its more just a case, imo, that what DG offers is very much what the team is lacking.

• Like 1