Melbourne Football

Matchday 21: v Brisbane - Sunday 1st March 6.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

The punt road end of the stadium was almost full. Did not mind teh atmosphere but active were rather quiet.

Another poor game by teh ref. No need to mention Berenguer. Jamie Young had a cracking game and just beaten once. Glover got lucky but his game was almost as good - and I was not comfortable with him venturing so far from the goals. And city is back in second place.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Had to win it and we did. It was always going to be a tricky match given they’re probably the form team of the competition and we haven’t beaten them this season. 

Can’t really complain. 

Agree. Considering that other than Luna our forwards were non-existent we did pretty well with 7 against 11. It pisses me off every match to see us hanging on in the final minutes.

I still don't understand Mombaerts substitution tactics.

Boring game but take the three points and move on.

• Like 1

A good result, a painful game.

Positives:

We won

We played mostly impotent football, and we won

Clean sheet

Negatives:

Ball speed to slow to shift the bus, few diagonal switches of play

No service to JMac who is out of form anyway

Poor crowd, no atmosphere after everyone in the stadium went to sleep

At least you are unlikely to get corona virus at a City game - actually, that's a positive

6 hours ago, belaguttman said:

A good result, a painful game.

Positives:

We won

We played mostly impotent football, and we won

Clean sheet

Negatives:

Ball speed to slow to shift the bus, few diagonal switches of play

No service to JMac who is out of form anyway

Poor crowd, no atmosphere after everyone in the stadium went to sleep

At least you are unlikely to get corona virus at a City game - actually, that's a positive

No mention of the comedy routine that Delbridge put on as a #9?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, NewConvert said:

The punt road end of the stadium was almost full. Did not mind teh atmosphere but active were rather quiet.

Another poor game by teh ref. No need to mention Berenguer. Jamie Young had a cracking game and just beaten once. Glover got lucky but his game was almost as good - and I was not comfortable with him venturing so far from the goals. And city is back in second place.

Punt Road end was packed put. I took 4 newcomers admittedly freebies of our membership and also ran into two guys from my club who don't normally attend. Active end was pretty thin though. With a bit of luck we might have had another 2-3 goals, Maclaren and Susaeta butchered good chances up our end, Griffs header got well saved by Young. Maclaren also had a couple of other chances, he's lost some form since early in the season

1 hour ago, rass said:

Isn't the Punt Road end the eastern wing side of the ground? Was ok but wouldn't call it packed.

Perhaps you mean Swan St end?

Correct. Swan Street/Olympic Boulevard end, and no way was it packed. Just look at some of the screen shots.

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

No mention of the comedy routine that Delbridge put on as a #9?

I'd dissociated

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Coach can’t rate Najjar. Surely he’d be the first choice, all being equal. Was such a strange move and it went as well as you’d expect  

I agree, it was one of the strangest moves Le Patron has made all season. 

6 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'd dissociated

I agree, it was one of the strangest moves Le Patron has made all season. 

Although overall I don't understand Mombaerts' substitution tactics - mainly his timing - I thought he brought on Delbridge up front to at least intimidate the Brisbane defence - which he did. Noone, Maclaren and Susaeta had been physically insipid all evening, and we looked like we could concede a goal in those last few minutes because even when we had the ball we were not threatening Brisbane at all.

I thought it was a good move because Brisbane had to rethink what they were doing.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Although overall I don't understand Mombaerts' substitution tactics - mainly his timing - I thought he brought on Delbridge up front to at least intimidate the Brisbane defence - which he did. Noone, Maclaren and Susaeta had been physically insipid all evening, and we looked like we could concede a goal in those last few minutes because even when we had the ball we were not threatening Brisbane at all.

I thought it was a good move because Brisbane had to rethink what they were doing.

Pretty much, Delbo played his part to stop Brisbane.

Griffiths' had a good game I thought, same as Good.

We really need a creative player in the middle or anywhere, we really lacked penetration, a lot of passing side to side.

3 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Personally i thought the gaffer nailed the subs and the timing.

Agree. Brisbane have developed a habit of scoring late recently. Those two late subs we made just halted their moment enough and the Delbridge one as weird as it seemed, was made to make them a little more accountable.

It may not have been the most entertaining game, but it was definitely a job well done and I thought managed quite comfortably - despite Fowler thinking they were robbed for some stupid reason. Exactly what was required with all our direct ladder opponents falling over this weekend.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, rass said:

Agree. Brisbane have developed a habit of scoring late recently. Those two late subs we made just halted their moment enough and the Delbridge one as weird as it seemed, was made to make them a little more accountable.

It may not have been the most entertaining game, but it was definitely a job well done and I thought managed quite comfortably - despite Fowler thinking they were robbed for some stupid reason. Exactly what was required with all our direct ladder opponents falling over this weekend.

When your side doesn’t register a shot until the 72nd minute you can’t complain about the refereeing  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Genreau should've come on before Metcalfe, he's much better then him imo

How is Genreau "much better" just out of curiosity? Not being a smart arse, geniune question.

I rate both these lads (and all the youth), and would love to see them on the field together more, but with all due respect, Genreau's had 4 years to prove himself, Metcalfe's had about 4 months. If you compare their stats, Metcalfe is way ahead .......What is it that I'm not seeing??  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlbionLoveDen said:

Hey, just so I'm up on it - what's the reason for the shit crowds, aside from the Maccas Lounge? I need to know in order to smack back at the office Victards. Yesterday was coronavirus panic, but not sure if I can use that retrospectively.

Only going on about crowds because they're too ashamed to talk about league position. Third team in Melbourne... 

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not saying that he did nothing, only that it would be more intimidating to bring on a striker to play as a striker, rather than a CB. If the idea was to stretch the Brisbane lines by lobbing a ball over the top for a player to run onto, the Najjar and Wales would be a larger threat than Wales and Delbridge

4 hours ago, AlbionLoveDen said:

Hey, just so I'm up on it - what's the reason for the shit crowds, aside from the Maccas Lounge? I need to know in order to smack back at the office Victards. Yesterday was coronavirus panic, but not sure if I can use that retrospectively.

Tell them that, if they want to watch football, then, apart from going to see WU, a Melbourne City game has the lowest risk of corona virus transmission in the League

• Like 1
  • Haha 2