Melbourne Football

Literature Thread

marteaux

I've also started reading through one of my work mates Uni textbooks, I've forgotten it,s name but it is by far the best educational book I've ever read.

I usually read through my school textbooks first to last page quite quickly, but this is going to take a while. It's 800 or so pages.

Game of Thrones - Finally make headway and I refuse to watch the episodes where I am not well past so nobody ruin it for me.

Malloy told me about this on the bus trip back from Sydney, was on Foxtel the other day but I didn't watch because I didn't know if I should read the books before watching, should I read them before watching?

Malloy told me about this on the bus trip back from Sydney, was on Foxtel the other day but I didn't watch because I didn't know if I should read the books before watching, should I read them before watching?

Definitely read the books first! Watching the series ended up ruining a lot of things for me even though at points the tv series seems only to be loosely based off the books.

Definitely read the books first! Watching the series ended up ruining a lot of things for me even though at points the tv series seems only to be loosely based off the books.

In saying that both my brother and father say the TV series in this rare case is as good as the book.

I've also heard game of thrones is pretty awesome. I need to step up my daily literary intake.

Scouser, I've got a few photocopied issues of The End (was mentioned briefly in Phil Thornton's book) from a family friend from England, and have flipped through a couple of them. Pretty cool stuff in there, did you ever read them as a youngin in Liverpool?

I want to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before seeing the movie aswell, but I doubt I'll get around to it.

• Like 1

Scouser, I've got a few photocopied issues of The End (was mentioned briefly in Phil Thornton's book) from a family friend from England, and have flipped through a couple of them. Pretty cool stuff in there, did you ever read them as a youngin in Liverpool?

Yeah Mate back in the 80's when i was your age & it THE END was just an A5 size photocopy :P

When i heard that they where gonna release all the back issue's as book i ordered it straight away ......... Top Read & is taking me back to my Yoof ;)

i too am looking to increase my literary intake. I credit my heavy reading of books at a very young age for my genius level intelligence today, but haven't done much reading at all in the last 10 years tbh.

Currently looking to get stuck into the Game of Thrones books (excuse this misnomer, forgot what the book series is called). Watched the first series of the Game of Throne tv show on malloy's recommendation, I was sceptical at first as i dont usually like things with fantasy type shit in them, but I am hooked now and can't wait for the other books to be turned into a TV show so just going to read the books. Upon consultation with others who have undertaken similar action, I have been advised that reading the first book would still be beneficial even though I have watched the first series of the tv show, do others agree?

@Tesla. the series is called " a song of fire and ice"

the tv series and the first book being called Game of Thrones

It is well worth reading the first book even if you have watched the first season as there is a fair bit left out.

@cadete, the show is not as good as the book, however it is probably one of the best tv/movie adaptions of a book that i have seen.

for those that have neither seen the tv series or read the books. if you are interested read the books first as they are farkin good

Finishing up "False Economy" by Alan Beattie - is an interesting account of recent world history combined with current world status based on economics.

Slowly trawling through "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein - an analysis of the use of disaster (both natural and man made) to implement free market economies.

Re-emerging myself into "Joint Structure and Function" by Cynthia Norkin and Pamela Levangie - biomechanics textbook, nothing exciting for the layman.

Also hit up chapters of "What the Dog Saw" by Malcolm Gladwell - a collections of his articles. Really good short reads.

Read a couple of pages of the Andre Agassi book, quite strange that one day before his match in the French Open he forgot his underwear, so he played with no underwear and went on to win that match.

He wore no underwear for the whole tournament after that, and he ended up going on to win the French Open, amazing story.

• Like 1

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon is my current favourite book. I'm reading another one by him, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay which is also great but I'm slow about reading it.

I've only read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, none of the others in the series, but it's definitely a good book. The movie is a David Fincher joint so it'll likely be worth a watch - of course movies based on books always tend to alienate big fans of the books.

Also reading The Walking Dead but that's a comic book so not sure it fits onto the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

With my mother being a librarian i've always got soemthing to read.

Just started "The Postcard Killers", loved the idea for the story so i though i'd give it a rad. Superb so far.

Recently finished "Those feet" which is an extremely in depth historical look at England and it's association with football failure. Really good read and the amount of random information picked up about the game, the country and the world etc is insane.

Has anyone finished "sheilas, Wogs and Poofters ?" If so how was it?

Has anyone finished "sheilas, Wogs and Poofters ?" If so how was it?

I bought and read it the week it was released. I was re-reading it last year but my copy was destroyed in my bag during the great downpour of the Mariners game (last season). I have been meaning to buy another copy but have not gotten around to it.

I honestly think every Australian football fan should read this book.

I bought and read it the week it was released. I was re-reading it last year but my copy was destroyed in my bag during the great downpour of the Mariners game (last season). I have been meaning to buy another copy but have not gotten around to it.

I honestly think every Australian football fan should read this book.

Sounds great.

Felt like an in depth read on Australian Football and who better to tell it to someone who has been there through it all. Will have to borrow it tomorrow.

Anyone ever read Eurotrashed?

I've only read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, none of the others in the series, but it's definitely a good book. The movie is a David Fincher joint so it'll likely be worth a watch - of course movies based on books always tend to alienate big fans of the books.

Watch the original movies, way better... If you don't mind subtitles. Only in America would they remake a movie only 2 or 3 years old

Currently reading, the man behind the mask by Marc Leverton, Banging your head against a brick wall by Banksy and am always flicking through Wall and piece by Banksy which is just flicks of his stuff with occasional paragraphs of his late night missions.

STRONGLYsuggest to the people who like hip hop culture, the kings way book with kings way number 2 coming through

wall and piece is the best. some of the stuff in it is sooo good

well did you know the documentary, exit through the gift shop, is a banksy documentary made by banksy, he is mr. brainwash and only made it to prove to the world how easy it is to fool society thats wit.. if you ask me

Or self-indulgent wank disguised as a social comment/experiment and lapped up by the banksy fan chorus and so called 'intellectuals'/social commentators who are incredibly programmable and critically passive when it comes to popular sub-culture 'artists'???

• Like 1