Melbourne Football

Literature Thread

marteaux

Acquired 1984 due to 3 different teachers recommending it today.

They should be teaching it not recommendng it... :angry:

These Unionist High School Teachers have probably got your reading some Communism Gone Right Crap. :droy:

Hi Braveheart :up:

• Like 1

It is being taught in year 11 at my school, idk anothers.

It first came up when my english teacher was having a go at everyone in our class for having shit vocab and made a reference to us stripping lanuage 'to the bone' and only one person responded to that and she freaked out because only that person had read the book. 

• 1 month later...

So I have just bought these three after watching some doco's on foxtel that sparked some interest:

Scally - The Shocking Confessions of a Category C Football Hooligan

Cass Pennant Autobiography - West Ham InterCity Firm - Football Hooligan book

Service Crew: The Inside Story of Leeds United's Hooligan Gangs-Caroline Gall

Approx $16 each

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Soccer-Books/Football-Hooliganism-/_i.html?_fsub=14208425&_sid=36913691&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Edited by Young Polak

Let us know how they turn out Young Polak, sounds like an interesting topic providing its done right.

I've managed to get myself 

Soccernomics - Why England looses, Why Spain, Germany and Brazil Win, and why the US, Japan, Australia, Turkey and even Iraq are destined to become kings of the worlds most popular sport.

The numbers game - Why everything you know about Football is wrong.

To tide me over for a flight from Melbourne to Paris tomorrow, hopefully they're both good books on the emerging soccer-statistics revolution.

• Like 1

The Outsider by Albert Camus is a long time favourite of mine. 

The Image of the City by Kevin Lynch is also essential reading if you want to understand more about our built form. 

China Mieville has been writing some lovely strange sci-fi for a few years now, I highly recommend. 

• Like 1

Back issues of When Saturday Comes after missing a few months not renewing my subscription. Great mag and easy public transport reading.

Literature wise, working through Andy Warhol's autobiography. It's average fodder, mostly stuff that's been done to death in movies about him - book is essentially him ranting about his life.

• Like 1

I read this books as my trash fix when I want a break from my harder book at the time on kindle,

So far I have read ones on:

Aberdeen

Celtic 

Hibs

Birmingham

Liverpool

Man Utd

About four of Doug Bimsons

And a 2 book long A-Z of fims

And I am almost through Cardiff which I have on my kindle atm.

Plus a host of more general themed books - The best by far with out a surprise our Phil Thorton's "Casuals", Ian Hough's "Perry Boys" and I highly recommend Bill Buford's "Among The Thugs".

is your the cardiff one: Diary Of The Real Soul Crew?

There is:

-Diary Of The Real Soul Crew: Invasion of the Bluebirds
-Diary Of The Real Soul Crew 2
-Diary of the Real Soul Crew: The Complete Chronicles

All have the same author, but I'm just not sure if the complete chronicles is a book with 1 and 2 combined or just a 3rd book about them

Edited by Young Polak

Eurotrashed is by far his best book - and to be honest would be on the required reading list in a Subject on Terrace Culture.

Ran out of likes but enjoyed this one. 

Just put down Catch 22 - One of those books that I finally just got around to. Worth it for literally everyone. I love 20th century American Novels, but this now comes close to top of the pile.

• Like 1

Eurotrashed is by far his best book - and to be honest would be on the required reading list in a Subject on Terrace Culture.

This one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Eurotrashed-The-Rise-and-Rise-of-Europes-Dougie-Brimson-/400453371569?pt=AU_Non_Fiction_Books_2&hash=item5d3ce186b1

Yes

But I recommend getting the Free Kindle App on your smart phone and reading these Hool Books for a couple of bucks this way...

Was thinking about getting an app for the phone, but for me, I like having a hard copy of a book and start having a collection of it on the shelf. More convenient for me.

Try out and see what u think,

What I love is it means you always have your book on you when you need it - You can also read in the dark when others need to sleep.

• 2 months later...

Have finished all four Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books as well as High Fidelity recently.

Hitchhikers was good entertainment, nothing too deep though. That being said, I did find myself looking forward to train trips so I could read a few more pages, which is rare. It's also 100000x better than the movie.

High Fidelity is defs in my top 5 books I've read, have been able to relate to almost the entire thing. Won't describe it in detail, but fuck, finished it within the week, it was that good.

Need a couple of books now for my travels, preferably stuff that will help explain the world to me. Recommendations?

Have finished all four Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books as well as High Fidelity recently.

Hitchhikers was good entertainment, nothing too deep though. That being said, I did find myself looking forward to train trips so I could read a few more pages, which is rare. It's also 100000x better than the movie.

High Fidelity is defs in my top 5 books I've read, have been able to relate to almost the entire thing. Won't describe it in detail, but fuck, finished it within the week, it was that good.

Need a couple of books now for my travels, preferably stuff that will help explain the world to me. Recommendations?

Not sure i can help you on the last part but have you read Nick Hornby's other stuff? Fever Pitch and Juliet, Naked are quality. About A Boy is decent too.

He can get a bit predictable though, have a look at these authors for something a bit different...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brat_Pack_(literary)

• Like 1

Speaking of Ben Elton, did you read that Ben Elton book Where it was against the law not to give your personal information out on social networks?

I read it years ago so I can remember what it was called or much about it. All I remember is that it completely sucked balls!

Lol - yeah I did...

The bloke lived around the corner from me in Freo, so I gave him a go a few times.

The worst were his murder mysteries where u knew the killer as soon as u had finnished the first page.