Melbourne Football

How should Heart play?

Vlad

JD is involved in player recruiting, and some decisions there look questionable.

Gerhardt isn't exactly popular is he? Macallister and Golgol weren't exactly being chased by any other clubs. And I don't understand taking a visa place with Gray if we're not going to play him. So I wouldn't class any of these signings as master-strokes.

I'd like to see the team give up possession, and play some mad counter attacking football. 17% possession worked for Celtic didn't it? :P

Agreed, under Mich d'Avray the Glory for a number of years of dominated the NSL by using a Counter Attack strategy which netted them both the 2003 and 2004 NSL League Titles. :up:

Edited by cadete

Fast and effective counter attacking football is also a lot more exciting than the crap we dish up so we'll draw crowds as well.

If u look at when we did our best work last year it usually due to Eli getting on the end of a counter attack and using his pace and strength to slot one home.

You can have your counter attacking football. I don't want to pay money to watch the other team have the ball and control the game while we cower in our own half. Counter attack will never win you a league title unless all the teams are doing it. It might win you the odd game but not a league.

Gerhardt isn't exactly popular is he? Macallister and Golgol weren't exactly being chased by any other clubs. And I don't understand taking a visa place with Gray if we're not going to play him. So I wouldn't class any of these signings as master-strokes.

I don't think it's Gerhardt's fault when he's under instuction to play the way he's playing, in a position that probably isn't his first choice.

Win first- then worry about making it look good

I reckon that might be the attitude of the current coaches.

I'd say you're more likely to win games when you've got a tactically smart idea about how you want to play. I'm probably a purist and I dont care if anyone wants to use that word as an insult. I think it's a good thing. Good football and tactically astute coaching will win more games than the crap we've dished up in the last three weeks. The way you play matters and I think we've ceded a lot of ground in that area so far this year. The game against CCM was so boring, it was the first time I've wanted to leave a game early. (And when you then see Victory getting their shit together, under a coach who values attractive football, things are worrying for us right now.)

I don't mind so much whether it's a quick counter attacking game or a possession based game. As long as it's done well. At the moment, I'm struggling to see either.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 2

You can have your counter attacking football. I don't want to pay money to watch the other team have the ball and control the game while we cower in our own half. Counter attack will never win you a league title unless all the teams are doing it. It might win you the odd game but not a league.

All we want is to get back to Gimp and get drunk after a win, so could u please just go to your local Orange Brick University and watch for free some Boho's play Hacky Sack instead of Melbourne Heart on TV. :up:

Scary times.

From tonight's club e-mail: 'I've been quite happy with our performances, but we do need to get the points because we don't want to be too far behind just yet.

There is a long way to go; it's a long season and we're building still and I'm sure that we'll be ok.

There are little things aren't going our way, but there's not too much going wrong. As a coach you would be worried if we were being completely outplayed, but that is not happening at all.'

Edited by jw1739

Scary times.

From tonight's club e-mail: 'I've been quite happy with our performances, but we do need to get the points because we don't want to be too far behind just yet.

There is a long way to go; it's a long season and we're building still and I'm sure that we'll be ok.

There are little things aren't going our way, but there's not too much going wrong. As a coach you would be worried if we were being completely outplayed, but that is not happening at all.'

Sick of people fucking saying that Aliosi should come out and be negative, what do you want him to say??

" Yeah we're playing like shit and we're probably gonna win the wooden spoon but keep coming to our games please"

As bad as we are playing people just need to shut the fuck up and get behind there team. Going to start flagging every comment

i hear out of you whining faggots. It's a loooooooooooooooooooong season

Scary times.

www.iamdelusional.com

As I posted in the Vince Grella thread, there is great consternation and debate within the coaching group as to the style of play. Too many long balls for some and our ability to play out from the back is obviously below par. Tadic is apparently excellent and clever with the ball at his feet and yet we keep lobbing it up the park to a bloke who needs the ball on the deck, and Mate who is too small to compete aerially. Be it counter attacking or possession based, we would be best served by passing our way up the park rather than lobbing and hoping. And for me the problem starts at the back with our inability to play out concisely and quickly. I'm told Gerhardt is here to stay and Vrankovich, who can play out, is a real option. It's a risk putting our hopes in a makeshift centre back and an 18 year old kid, but compared to the rubbish being dished up at the moment, I think some tough decisions need to be made very quickly. We can't compete with the current plan.

You need to play a different style and adapt accordingly.

We need to have a passing game, a possession game, counter attacking and direct. We need to know all these different styles and play them well. How you play vs SFC is different PG is different to ADU. You cant play the same style week in week out with our talent.

Look at Mariners...been such a good team for 3 season with GA in charge. He's regularly gone with a 3-4-3, 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and swapped mid-game.

You remember the SFC game last season? we went from a very narrow 4-4-2 to a wide 4-3-3 and scored 4 goals once JVS changed the formation and style.

Agree, but I don't think you should apply that to different opponents, it should be applied to when you receive the ball and the during a game. If you get a turn over from the pressing high then counter, if you get the ball from a goal kick play out from the back. Some teams will play in a way that will dictate what situations we receive the ball but we should be the ones deciding what we do with it when we get it.

Last season when we played well we where on of the better teams attacking in the oppositions half but we where terrible coming out of our own half. If we could incorporate more patience in getting the ball to the feet of our midfielders and we kept that one touch passing and quick ball movement we did show at times last season we would be good to watch, pro-active, and developing a style that would win out titles.

Agree, but I don't think you should apply that to different opponents, it should be applied to when you receive the ball and the during a game. If you get a turn over from the pressing high then counter, if you get the ball from a goal kick play out from the back. Some teams will play in a way that will dictate what situations we receive the ball but we should be the ones deciding what we do with it when we get it.

Last season when we played well we where on of the better teams attacking in the oppositions half but we where terrible coming out of our own half. If we could incorporate more patience in getting the ball to the feet of our midfielders and we kept that one touch passing and quick ball movement we did show at times last season we would be good to watch, pro-active, and developing a style that would win out titles.

Don't neccassarily disagree with this however i think the main issue was and still is how slow we play out from the back.