Melbourne Football

The A-League Broadcasting and Media Thread

kingawesomeness

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I only skimmed the article, but it does seem like the ABC are misconstruing the "without plan" part. Not that, it neccessarily means the payments are justified.

Also, the payments are largely related to televising women's sports. The real issue is probably more to do with whether taxpayers want the govt to subsidise the broadcasting of women's sports or not. To which I think the majority (even if only slightly) of people would say yes.

That being said it is questionable as to whether the way in which thry are subsidising it is the best way in which to do it, but I think people are more likely toake a "cash for mates" view of the payments as opposed to assessing what is happening in substsance (not that a substantive assessment would preclude a conclusion that its dodgy, just that I think people will judge too quickly merely because Foxtel are involved).

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

So weather cancels a game.

no worries Foxtel puts on top 5 Derbies. Great I think!. Then they show:

1. Sydney vs Central Coast.

2. Tards vs Perth

3. there is no 3*

Have I dropped into a parallel universe? Have I had a head knock?
* they then started to talk about top 5 superstars. 

Edited by Shahanga

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know where to put this but apparently channel 9 and Stan are hot favourites to buy the upcoming tv rights for the next season of the a-league.

Pain in the ass with all these streaming services now taking all these different sports off kayo/fox sports. Going to have to buy another streaming platform simply just to watch the games.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Don't know where to put this but apparently channel 9 and Stan are hot favourites to buy the upcoming tv rights for the next season of the a-league.

Pain in the ass with all these streaming services now taking all these different sports off kayo/fox sports. Going to have to buy another streaming platform simply just to watch the games.

Yeah. Definite pain in the arse.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Harrison said:

I was at the match so thankfully couldn’t hear him. Guessing he thought the penalty should’ve stood?

I watched it on replay myself. 

Yes, a clear pen apparently. Unfortunately rubbed out because Birighetti accidentally stood on O’Neill knocking him over. Should the pen be cancelled just because he accidentally stood on O’Neill?
An “interesting take” given that action caused the whole sequence. 
He also seemed to be talking up how well Mariners were going the whole game, though in reality they offered nothing in attack. 

To be fair, both penalty calls were 50/50 in real-time and VAR's replays and I definitely don't begrudge Mariners fans for feeling miffed. 

But Harper is weird when he commentates City games and for some reason, he does often seem to barrack - for the lack of a better word, against us. I like him as a neutral commentator otherwise so it's a pity. Bozza on the other hand fucking froths us hahaha.

Either way, I hope Fox Sports goes in the bin soon. Back in the days when the A-League was stronger, they provided excellent matchday coverage (RIP Simon Hill) along with terrific pre and post-match content but the budget slashes are all too evident. The awful timeslots the league have been held ransom to by Fox Sports are something else that I hope a new broadcaster rectifies. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Paramount+

$8.99 a month, so not horrible, but christ everything is getting splintered again.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-league-seals-landmark-five-year-200m-broadcast-deal-with-network-ten-20210525-p57v3m.html

Most interestingly, viacom also brought 2.5% of the League - so they're fairly invested in it succeeding. 

In the official announcement, it mentions club members will get discounts (maybe included subscription). 

• Like 1

Ok so my first impression is that this is fantastic news. $200m across five years with a trigger for a further three years. It's obviously a wait and see type situation for the new streaming service but their ambitions are good and they're clearly in this for the long haul (or long enough to try to grow the game). They've gone big in the US with football so they're not completely new to the sport. By the sounds of things they will spend a fair bit on advertising and FTA on a main channel on Saturday night, prime time is terrific. Added to this will be the capital injection from the PE group, so there's plenty of cash to invest.

APL will help with production, which is an interesting point, though I know they've been keen on that for a while. I think we can say goodbye to Fox Sports-level coverage (which was very good quality) for all matches (dead rubbers involving smaller clubs will probably be somewhat stripped back in terms of production). The other thing I don't know much about is the fixture. Do they have a preference for a summer or winter or hybrid season? Time slots? Do they want to have a lot of say on things like expansion? Wait and see.

All in all, this is a really good thing for football.

@jw1739 can we change the threat title to broadcasting or something? Might as well keep using this thread.

19 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Ok so my first impression is that this is fantastic news. $200m across five years with a trigger for a further three years. It's obviously a wait and see type situation for the new streaming service but their ambitions are good and they're clearly in this for the long haul (or long enough to try to grow the game). They've gone big in the US with football so they're not completely new to the sport. By the sounds of things they will spend a fair bit on advertising and FTA on a main channel on Saturday night, prime time is terrific. Added to this will be the capital injection from the PE group, so there's plenty of cash to invest.

APL will help with production, which is an interesting point, though I know they've been keen on that for a while. I think we can say goodbye to Fox Sports-level coverage (which was very good quality) for all matches (dead rubbers involving smaller clubs will probably be somewhat stripped back in terms of production). The other thing I don't know much about is the fixture. Do they have a preference for a summer or winter or hybrid season? Time slots? Do they want to have a lot of say on things like expansion? Wait and see.

@jw1739 can we change the threat title to broadcasting or something? Might as well keep using this thread.

Starting in October .. $9 bucks a month and club members might get that even cheaper 

20 minutes ago, Harrison said:

@Harrison Happy to oblige. If you don't like my effort feel free to comment further. We might want to extend it to the Cup as well in due course. I've also pinned the thread for easy access.

I didn't quite understand what will happen from the note I saw from the club. I couldn't work out whether matches are intended to be concurrent or not. IMO there's a lot of "wait and see" to go. I don't watch a lot of TV at all, but I'd be more inclined to do so if it could be more selective in terms of what is presented - quantity is no substitute for quality. For some matches highlights would do me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

What concerns me is it might not be so easy to watch on a big screen for those of us who “can’t be fucked lashing out on a smart TV”.

I'm about 10 iterations behind when it comes to TV and accessories. People throw stuff out on to their nature strips that I've never had...

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

What concerns me is it might not be so easy to watch on a big screen for those of us who “can’t be fucked lashing out on a smart TV”.

Chromecast for under $100 (assuming TV has a USB port), then just cast from mobile device.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I currently have to hook up my laptop via a HDMI cord because my PS4 doesn't have a Kayo app (although I have a Foxtel app 😡

Not too hard, if but frustrating. 

At $9 (or there abouts) is decent, but as pointed out by another its frustrating you have to subscribe to so many platforms 

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

I currently have to hook up my laptop via a HDMI cord because my PS4 doesn't have a Kayo app (although I have a Foxtel app 😡

At $9 (or there abouts) is decent, but as pointed out by another its frustrating you have to subscribe to so many platforms 

Use the Internet browser function on the ps4 to load kayo sports website. 

This is awesome news.

About time we got a broadcaster that seems to have a genuine vested interest in growing the sport and the league - something that Fox Sports had all but given up on.
$9 a month ain't bad at all either.

15 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

I find HDMI to be a real pain. I like to watch classic shows that have been recorded and put up on YouTube. This used to be OK until my PC with its large screen crashed and was replaced by a laptop. I spent hours putting a neat little fold-down flap on the side of the TV cabinet, stained and varnished to match the cabinet itself, so that I could move the laptop there and connect to the TV via a short HDMI cable. But I found I was going through HDMI cables at a rate of knots, and worse still that the repeated unplugging and plugging has made one of the HDMI ports on the laptop slightly dodgy.

So it's back to watching YouTube on the laptop. I hate technology really. We are so dependent on it but it isn't robust enough. The PC is nicknamed "Lazarus" because it raised itself from the dead after months of being turned off, and the laptop is a real nuisance  - run more than a couple of applications concurrently and the bloody thing overheats. Mind you, if I understood what I was doing it would help...

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I find HDMI to be a real pain. I like to watch classic shows that have been recorded and put up on YouTube. This used to be OK until my PC with its large screen crashed and was replaced by a laptop. I spent hours putting a neat little fold-down flap on the side of the TV cabinet, stained and varnished to match the cabinet itself, so that I could move the laptop there and connect to the TV via a short HDMI cable. But I found I was going through HDMI cables at a rate of knots, and worse still that the repeated unplugging and plugging has made one of the HDMI ports on the laptop slightly dodgy.

So it's back to watching YouTube on the laptop. I hate technology really. We are so dependent on it but it isn't robust enough. The PC is nicknamed "Lazarus" because it raised itself from the dead after months of being turned off, and the laptop is a real nuisance  - run more than a couple of applications concurrently and the bloody thing overheats. Mind you, if I understood what I was doing it would help...

A smart TV would change your life. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Reading the description of what a smart TV can do I would have no chance of driving it.

They’re actually very intuitive these days and there aren’t too many cables (just one cable going to the aerial outlet and one power cable) for a simple set up which might be all you need.

I have a Samsung smart TV and the remote is very simple. It’s mostly just using the arrow buttons and the ‘OK’ and ‘back’ buttons to navigate around and the apps are easy to download and access (they’re big, visible tiles). I’ve got Kayo and Optus Sport (soon to add Paramount+) as well as ones like Netflix and YouTube.

The setup guides on the TV are very simple to follow for connecting to WIFI. They basically hold your hand through it. Even an old timer like you could get it sorted!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harrison said:

They’re actually very intuitive these days and there aren’t too many cables (just one cable going to the aerial outlet and one power cable) for a simple set up which might be all you need.

I have a Samsung smart TV and the remote is very simple. It’s mostly just using the arrow buttons and the ‘OK’ and ‘back’ buttons to navigate around and the apps are easy to download and access (they’re big, visible tiles). I’ve got Kayo and Optus Sport (soon to add Paramount+) as well as ones like Netflix and YouTube.

The setup guides on the TV are very simple to follow for connecting to WIFI. They basically hold your hand through it. Even an old timer like you could get it sorted!

Can vouge for for someone like myself who is hopeless with technology, they are so easy to use.

• Like 1

Adam “AFL” White complaining on RSN that he didn’t know most of the players named in the Socceroo squad.

Jo Public comment then fair enough.

Adam though is a professional sports commentator. None of these guys were smokies, it’s his job to know who they are. All his comment does is reflect badly on him.

17 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Adam “AFL” White complaining on RSN that he didn’t know most of the players named in the Socceroo squad.

Jo Public comment then fair enough.

Adam though is a professional sports commentator. None of these guys were smokies, it’s his job to know who they are. All his comment does is reflect badly on him.

It does indeed. Out of interest I went to the FA (no pun intended) website, clicked on Socceroos, and then Squad, and then clicked on some of the names - e.g. Redmayne, Genreau and Metcalfe. There is a fair bit on Redders (didn't know he was married and a father!) but it's a bit weak on Genreau and Metcalfe. IMO what's missing is some video highlights of them in action, or an interview perhaps (or is it there and I didn't look hard enough?). You don't need $32m to use your existing resources to good effect.

So my summary: a pretty reasonable job, but could be enhanced.

Also these media people tend to forget that the information is out there, but (especially in Melbourne) it wouldn't matter how much was provided the mainstream media is obsessed with AFL. 

Even as City members it's hard work. I tried to give away my guest pass to the match against Central Coast but the friends I tried just CBF to get off their couches to go.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It does indeed. Out of interest I went to the FA (no pun intended) website, clicked on Socceroos, and then Squad, and then clicked on some of the names - e.g. Redmayne, Genreau and Metcalfe. There is a fair bit on Redders (didn't know he was married and a father!) but it's a bit weak on Genreau and Metcalfe. IMO what's missing is some video highlights of them in action, or an interview perhaps (or is it there and I didn't look hard enough?). You don't need $32m to use your existing resources to good effect.

So my summary: a pretty reasonable job, but could be enhanced.

Also these media people tend to forget that the information is out there, but (especially in Melbourne) it wouldn't matter how much was provided the mainstream media is obsessed with AFL. 

Even as City members it's hard work. I tried to give away my guest pass to the match against Central Coast but the friends I tried just CBF to get off their couches to go.

This is a problem affecting all sports because of COVID-19. AFL attendance figures are way down as well.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

To keep things about the A League deal real:

Old Foxtel deal: $346M/6 years (57M/yr)

New Ten etc deal $200M/5 years. (40M/yr).

It’s good they now have an interested broadcast partner, but a 30% drop in revenue is a massive step backwards.

Forgot  to add the 57m a year included FFA Cup, Socceroos, Matildas and ACL . Ten deal is just A-League alone 

• Thanks 2