Melbourne Football

Melbourne vs. Brisbane - AAMI Park - 9/11/12

Jimmy

Are Vrankovic and Garrucio back for this one?

No. The Young Socceroos will be playing 3 games in Saudi Arabia over the week.

The 4 man bench that comes with the A-League doesn't help but I think we really struggle with our changes. Each week we have a spot for a CB and a CF. Tadic/DMac are horrible together and unless a CB gets injured/red carded, it doesn't really help to have one coming on.

anyone that thinks redmayne will start at all this year unless bolton injures himself is surely trolling. he'll be #1 next year obviously but until then they'll keep bolton in. and that's fair enough as i think even though he's patchy at times, i don't think redmayne will get a chance to 'ease in' to the role (which could be seen as a good or a bad thing)

sadly i don't think we'll see mitchinson start again this week (i felt he was quite competent but not a goodwin esque debut). back to 4-3-3 likely.

if fred is fit he will start - it would be preferred IMHO if he came off the bench but we do need him out there.

i'd say what spain82 had, although i doubt aloisi has the balls (for lack of a better word) quite yet to bench PG.

anyone that thinks redmayne will start at all this year unless bolton injures himself is surely trolling. he'll be #1 next year obviously but until then they'll keep bolton in. and that's fair enough as i think even though he's patchy at times, i don't think redmayne will get a chance to 'ease in' to the role (which could be seen as a good or a bad thing)

And more's the pity. Bolton's distribution is poor - a long hoof from him is the same as a long hoof from Colosimo or Gerhardt, more or less a certain turnover. The contrast in the CCM game could not have been more noticeable - Matt Ryan's long clearances were accurate and telling.

• Like 1

And more's the pity. Bolton's distribution is poor - a long hoof from him is the same as a long hoof from Colosimo or Gerhardt, more or less a certain turnover. The contrast in the CCM game could not have been more noticeable - Matt Ryan's long clearances were accurate and telling.

Agree, also every time Bolton comes off the line and misses the clearance we concede. This probably says more about the box defence but I'd love to see Redmayne in goal.

absolutely. as lame as the term 'play it out from the back' is, we have the ability to do so when we're full of confidence.

a sense of urgency in our passing would be nice from both our CB's and bolton every now and again.

The reason we have so many hopeful long balls is that there is seldom a player making space in the attacking third of the park. This is the case for our goalkeepers who get more of the ball than they should by defenders who instead of playing forward play accross the field or back to the keeper who is only left with one option - kick it long.

I have often put myself in our midfielders place and wondered where I would play the ball - there are simply no good options. When you have the ball and there is no one in front or running into a position to receive the ball you can only either pass it back or try and hold it/run with it but without support you will generally lose out. And that's what happens to us.

• Like 1

The reason we have so many hopeful long balls is that there is seldom a player making space in the attacking third of the park. This is the case for our goalkeepers who get more of the ball than they should by defenders who instead of playing forward play accross the field or back to the keeper who is only left with one option - kick it long.

I have often put myself in our midfielders place and wondered where I would play the ball - there are simply no good options. When you have the ball and there is no one in front or running into a position to receive the ball you can only either pass it back or try and hold it/run with it but without support you will generally lose out. And that's what happens to us.

Insufficient movement off the ball. Too many backwards first touches, and too many back and horizontal passes. Been going on for all but the first few games when we played with width. Watch again Terra's winning goal in the first derby. We spread Victory wide open with a series of great passes right across the field before Worm put a deep cross right on Terra's foot for a classic goal.

No use going on about it I suppose. But why cannot the coaches see what the problem is?

a sense of urgency in our passing would be nice from both our CB's and bolton every now and again.

Nothing communicates urgency better than a good old fashioned firing squad. We should sort this traitorous rabble out with volley of 'motivational lead'.

The board also must be purged in order to rid ourselves of subversive forces from the inside!

ORDER No: 227- NOT A STEP BACK!

Edited by Comrade Stalin

with a fully fit squad, i really hope Grella, Germano and Fred are the first choice midfield trio.

They are all ball-playing players, and our forwards would really benefit from having better service and quality of passing. I think we'll really start banging them in and it'll bring the best out of players like Tadic, Williams and Dugandzic.

Not sure if that will be possible next Friday with fitness and injuries of players, but hopefully it's not too far away

with a fully fit squad, i really hope Grella, Germano and Fred are the first choice midfield trio.

They are all ball-playing players, and our forwards would really benefit from having better service and quality of passing. I think we'll really start banging them in and it'll bring the best out of players like Tadic, Williams and Dugandzic.

Not sure if that will be possible next Friday with fitness and injuries of players, but hopefully it's not too far away

Where do you put Rich Garcia then?

Garcia, germano, grella, fred, would be an amazing midfield

Yet to say Gol-Gol play first hand but i think he is quite quick from recollection when we played GCU

maybe use maccalister as an Impact player, sub after 70' minutes,

If Gol-Gol can provide pace and Tadic skill and a sweet strike, can see our team playing some awesome attacking football

Where do you put Rich Garcia then?

left wing? pretty sure that's his preferred position iirc

either way, if we utilize him between the midfield and on the wings, it provides us with more versatility and depth.

bolton

marrone gerhardt colosimo behich

grella fred germano

dugandzic/(williams) tadic garcia

ideal lineup IMO

Well, methinks we can only go up from here, with an inferior goal difference to that of Brisbane. Victory are 2-0 up against Wellington, and assuming they continue on in that vein we will be bottom of the table tonight.

So, the boys are going to have to lift fast.

Imagine how Aloisi must have felt after the first round to how he feels now...

I hope he's more concerned than he appears to show. We seem to hear that he thinks we're playing well even after three defeats on the trot and doesn't appear to think much change is necessary, and that concerns me more than the three defeats themselves. I'd prefer to see rather more emotion and to get the feeling that we're going to see some changes in the way the team plays.

Am I the only one seeing us not being able to get any result purely because Brisbane just won't not pick up points three rounds in a row?

You're not the only one. I was watching the Brisbane Adelaide game hoping they would at least get a draw for that reason. However, they did lose 5 games in a row last season (i think) so we can only hope....

i'd say what spain82 had, although i doubt aloisi has the balls (for lack of a better word) quite yet to bench PG.

Stephen Grey must be getting a start this week. From what I seen on pre-season games, he's technically better than PG as well as more commanding and leading. PG has no composure on the ball and is surly going to be a liability playing against brisbanes forward line. I can't help but think we'll be a player down and maybe 1 penalty down at HT friday night if we go with PG

• Like 1

Stephen Grey must be getting a start this week. From what I seen on pre-season games, he's technically better than PG as well as more commanding and leading. PG has no composure on the ball and is surly going to be a liability playing against brisbanes forward line. I can't help but think we'll be a player down and maybe 1 penalty down at HT friday night if we go with PG

i quite like gerhardt because of the commitment he shows and he seems hungry for the ball. If gray is a better defender, why not put him next to colosimo and push gerhardt into defensive midfield? It'll give us a lot more height in the midfield, and we'll win a lot more 50/50 challenges

how far away are Mebrahtu/Germano?

Our football is very, very ordinary. Painful to watch. Like Colosimo getting the ball. Then hatching it, doing nothing, then finally slowly passing across the pitch or backwards. Or lobbing it forward where the opposition get it. It's so obvious why John van't Schip didn't play him last season. When I saw the exciting talent we lost from last season and who we were getting to replace them I predicted we'd finish last or second last, depending on how good the Wanderers were. Having seen the Wanderers play they have a Marquee who is better than what we have, they have Aaron Mooy who is better than what we have, they have a goalie who is better than what we have and they are far more determined and better drilled than we are. The standard of the A League has gone up. But our squad is probably worse than last season. And definitely much worse considering the improvement upside we were looking at this season from all the young talent we have lost. If Roar play to their ability they'll thrash us. If we sit back and defend there's a chance we might sneak a cheap goal or two on the counter.

Edited by Parrot

There is every chance we will jag a win with a counter attacking goal. That will just mask over all the problems with the team. I really can't see us winning any more than three or 4 games for the rest of the season if we keep playing the way we are.

futuramafry.jpg

Not sure if talking about Brisbane or Melbourne... (srs)

Fwiw, I think you have to give any manager more time than that, so I say stick with JA for now.

But if we are going to sack JA we might as well sack JD as well, what gives him a free pass? He is head of the football department, and this is the 3rd season in a row its been shit.

Sack JD.

• Like 1

JD has in all fairness pulled together a strong squad that as you said somewhere "should be pushing for the title" The problem has been how the team has been organised and motivated. Sack JA and HF.

Actually fuck it, we're bulk shit. Sack everything.

That's a bit harsh, but I do agree we need a new manager.