Melbourne Football

Melbourne vs. Brisbane - AAMI Park - 9/11/12

Jimmy

Moving on too next weeks game. We need something to change in a hurry if we're to turn this form around.

If I were in charge I would put a rocket up the squad and flog the shit out of them all week. My squad would be this:

Redmayne

Marrone Vrankovic Gray Mitchinson

Gerhardt

Garcia Duga

Williams Tadic Behich

Bench: Bolton Fred Kalmar Colosimo

Aloisi will continue to just go through the motions however. He really is out Mehmet Durakovic. It's shame he'll be sacked because I really like JA.

0-3. Crowd 6.1k

Edited by Jimmy

Hope we actually have a game plan... I really want us to try and build up the play

Vlad for that to be effective we need to have good movement off the ball to create space, accurate passing and good ball speed. We don't have any of those things. I think that JA recognises this and so we are playing more direct counter-attacking football. This works better against possession based teams like WSW or Roar. I expect crowds will keep dropping as we continue to lose at home, don't expect it to change until Fred and Grella are on the pitch. Fred is a major weakness for the club, we cannot win and are unlikely to even draw without him on the pitch. Rather than a like for like replacement I think that Grella will potentially be able to do a better job as far as ball distribution and on-field leadership goes with added defensive muscle.

• Like 1

Vlad for that to be effective we need to have good movement off the ball to create space, accurate passing and good ball speed. We don't have any of those things. I think that JA recognises this and so we are playing more direct counter-attacking football. This works better against possession based teams like WSW or Roar. I expect crowds will keep dropping as we continue to lose at home, don't expect it to change until Fred and Grella are on the pitch. Fred is a major weakness for the club, we cannot win and are unlikely to even draw without him on the pitch. Rather than a like for like replacement I think that Grella will potentially be able to do a better job as far as ball distribution and on-field leadership goes with added defensive muscle.

You mean our whole season depends on two ageing injury-prone players, one of whom wasn't even signed until the season was underway? In other words, the squad is not up to A-League standard? Then someone's head should roll.

You mean our whole season depends on two ageing injury-prone players, one of whom wasn't even signed until the season was underway? In other words, the squad is not up to A-League standard? Then someone's head should roll.

Yes, that's right, it's about team balance. The problem we have in the league os that squad size and salary cap restrictions make it difficult to build a balanced team with adequate backup of similar quality. It took Roar time to do it and they were assisted by the 'voluntary departure' of many unsuitable players. Grella was being courted by JA for a long time, as you know we were talking about it here for ages before the season even started. Our football is distressing to watch at the moment but in a league without the pressures of relegation, we should give JA time. as you could see last year the MV problem wasn't solved by either the sacking of Mehmet or the hiring of Ange.

I agree with you though that we have an alarming number of injures and also repeat injuries. this needs to improve.

• Like 1

Would like to see something along the lines of:

Redmayne

Marrone Vrankovic Gray Behich

Gerhardt Fred

Dugandzic Garcia

Tadic Macallister

Bench: Bolton, Thompson, Williams, Colosimo

or (more realistically):

Bolton

Marrone Colosimo Vrankovic Behich

Fred Thompson

Dugandzic Garcia

Tadic Macallister

Bench: Redmayne, Gerhardt, Williams, Garrucio

Edited by Ellki

I understand the point that you're coming from, and you might be right considering I have only starting following Heart, but even in counter offensive football you need a lot of the qualities you'd need in a build up type play. In both cases players need to be able to run fast with and without the ball, have good vision, good movement, accuracy and so on. I myself am a big fan of counter offensive football but the way JA is trying to make it work right now is just messing it up completely. From what I caught in the WSW game ( Didn't have a chance to watch of it) we would boot the ball up the field the entire time and hope it reaches our players, but the A-League from what I have seen is very physical and is full of players who can easily handle these high air balls. Now if we started or counter attack through quick short passes across the pitch it would have the same effect but it would make it harder for the direction of the ball to be figured out by the opposing team. I can see your point though, and I agree with it, but I think a solid game plan is needed.

Concerning Fred, again I'm a new member, and I'm over seas so its extremely hard for me to keep in touch and keep up with the A-League, but from what I've seen he seems to be a very vital player to the team, but we can't relay on him all the time as you said because a team has to balanced, and to be honest I think Hearts team is fairly balanced. For example in the WSW game, if Grey would have taken the CB spot and Gerhard would have moved to he midfield instead of Hoffman I think our play would be much more productive. I'm not denying that Grella and Fred are amazing and brings a lot of strength to the team, but from the looks of the squad does have death and with a bit of guidance could do fairly decent without them, but of course would benefit if they helped.

Now I might be wrong since I am a new member so I apologize :)

• Like 1

Moving on too next weeks game. We need something to change in a hurry if we're to turn this form around.

If I were in charge I would put a rocket up the squad and flog the shit out of them all week.

Aloisi will continue to just go through the motions however. He really is out Mehmet Durakovic. It's shame he'll be sacked because I really like JA.

0-3. Crowd 6.1k

So aloisi is going to get sacked for losing to perth and central coast, and if you were in charge you would predict to lose 0-3..

Hmm

I understand the point that you're coming from, and you might be right considering I have only starting following Heart, but even in counter offensive football you need a lot of the qualities you'd need in a build up type play. In both cases players need to be able to run fast with and without the ball, have good vision, good movement, accuracy and so on. I myself am a big fan of counter offensive football but the way JA is trying to make it work right now is just messing it up completely. From what I caught in the WSW game ( Didn't have a chance to watch of it) we would boot the ball up the field the entire time and hope it reaches our players, but the A-League from what I have seen is very physical and is full of players who can easily handle these high air balls. Now if we started or counter attack through quick short passes across the pitch it would have the same effect but it would make it harder for the direction of the ball to be figured out by the opposing team. I can see your point though, and I agree with it, but I think a solid game plan is needed.

Concerning Fred, again I'm a new member, and I'm over seas so its extremely hard for me to keep in touch and keep up with the A-League, but from what I've seen he seems to be a very vital player to the team, but we can't relay on him all the time as you said because a team has to balanced, and to be honest I think Hearts team is fairly balanced. For example in the WSW game, if Grey would have taken the CB spot and Gerhard would have moved to he midfield instead of Hoffman I think our play would be much more productive. I'm not denying that Grella and Fred are amazing and brings a lot of strength to the team, but from the looks of the squad does have death and with a bit of guidance could do fairly decent without them, but of course would benefit if they helped.

No I agree with you, but as our pass accuracy and movement off the ball is also poor we have little option that a long ball. This can also be effective if its an accurate long pass, speculative long balls are rubbish and a waste of time. I agree that we should move Gerhard to midfield and play Gray/Vrankovic/Colosimo as CBs. We should try to buy out Madaschi's contract with his Korean club.

You make a lot of sense. Keep posting! :)

Besides hoffman being dropped, dugandzic really deserves to warm the pine. He was been crap since december last year apart from the derby this season.

Would agree based on performances, but is he just out of position? He's a smart, talented player who's good in tight spaces. He is bad at dribbling and crossing. Play him as the creative mid.

He reckons he wants to be match for by end of November (lol.)

There's no point JA playing Tadic & Maccalister together if Tadic goes out wide in a 4-3-3, a 4-4-2 must be played if they're playing tohether, because Tadic is not a winger & is wasted there.

Would like to see something along the lines of:

Redmayne

Marrone Vrankovic Gray Behich

Gerhardt Fred

Dugandzic Garcia

Tadic Macallister

Bench: Bolton, Thompson, Williams, Colosimo

or (more realistically):

Bolton

Marrone Colosimo Vrankovic Behich

Fred Thompson

Dugandzic Garcia

Tadic Macallister

Bench: Redmayne, Gerhardt, Williams, Garrucio

Edited by Ellki

Bolton

Marrone Colosimo Gray Mitchinson

Hoffie

Garcia Thompson

Williams Macalaister Behich

Gerhardt simply can not be trusted to play in this game. against a forward line who are prone to going to ground easy, he'll be giving away free kicks like their smarties and brisbane will defiantly be targeting him as our weakest link. although after witnessing his finishing in front of goal he could be given a run out up top.

I don't think it will doom and gloom like everyone else is predicting, we tend to play well against the better teams that are more open and attacking.

score draw for me.

• Like 1

What on earth are we going to do next year when Garcia and Grella arnt there? Who else has one year deals?

Doesn't answer your question directly, but AFAIK players coming out-of-contract at the end of this season are:

Bolton

Colosimo

Gray

Fred

Garcia

Germano

Thompson

Hoffman

Kalmar

Grella

Dugandzic

Possibly also Behich and Tadic??

• Like 1

stop being so doom and gloom everyone.

we have lost a few games, and its been disappointing but we have shown glimpses of what we can do.

i think there were positives for our game vs western sydney

ie. Tadic scoring, and playing crazy good ... Garcia has shown consistancy ... and Mitchinson has potential.

sure the result wasnt good but we'll be fine... eventually.

onto Brisbane. 2-2 is looking likely for me.

New supporter, witnessed majority of the first 3 games, and its quiet frustrating as we all know. The game against ccm was abysmal.

Ofrom my point of view, the club set itself up for a poor season from the moment it apointed aloisi as coach. This guy is not fooling me with his fancy clothes, guardiola is actually a good coach, not just good looks mr aloisi. I dont have snything sgainst him, but the club does have a decent squad, should be in contention for top 6 but i fear it will be too little too late.

Tadic i thought was shocking excuse for a footballer, but his performance convinced me he can come good, and definitly cant play alongside mccallister. Its one or the other, and i think tadic has more in his locker. I think duganzic should be our iniesta, play him centrally where he showed promising signs against ccm. With him, fred, tadic and williams there is good promise. Defence needs some more training and gelling. Luckily clint bolton fills me with some confidence.

Bolton

Maronne vrankovic colisimo mitchinson

Gerhardt

Garcia Dugandzic

Willo tadic behich

Bench

Redmayne, Dmac, Gray, Kalmar/Fred

Really don't know how to call this one. We've played well v roar traditionally but we still look clueless moving forward ATM. However we could get some more room up front v brisbane than other teams. If gerhardt and colisimo start together at cb we can kiss the game good bye.

Tadic i thought was shocking excuse for a footballer, but his performance convinced me he can come good, and definitly cant play alongside mccallister.

+ 1000

We've seen the best of macallister already, don't think he'll get much better and i think we all expected Tadic to be the first choice striker and it just doesn't work playing them together. Has to be one or the other

I'm hoping our midfield to eventually have Grella and Germano in there and Fred as AM which should see our distribution and passing of the ball improve a lot

• Like 2

Doesn't answer your question directly, but AFAIK players coming out-of-contract at the end of this season are:

Bolton

Colosimo

Gray

Fred

Garcia

Germano

Thompson

Hoffman

Kalmar

Grella

Dugandzic

Possibly also Behich and Tadic??

Tadic's contract expires end of this season as well, not too sure about Behich but i'm guessing he'll most likely be off to Besiktas or somewhere else overseas next season

wasn't dugandzic signed on a 3 year deal?

Tadic's contract expires end of this season as well, not too sure about Behich but i'm guessing he'll most likely be off to Besiktas or somewhere else overseas next season

wasn't dugandzic signed on a 3 year deal?

Apologies for missing Tadic. I'm not sure on Dugandzic - he was a 'Jv$ Special' signing, and don't recall seeing the full details. (I try to keep details for 'Schip Happens.')

IMO we will see another massive turnover in players again. If results don't improve I can't imagine Garcia and Grella wanting to stick around. Most of the others, I suspect, won't have a choice. Fred and Germano will need to spend more time on the park to be offered extensions.

I just hope that Didulica and Aloisi are already thinking about next season. It seems a long way away, but this season has again shown that the earlier you get the squad together the better it is. We also IMO need a much tougher pre-season.

During preseason I was very excited by how Garcia played. I was also highly impressed by Vrankovic, and by Tadic's potential, which looks to be coming good, and the really good thing was that against WSW he did not go to ground looking for soft free kicks.

I was concerned by the form of Fred, Behich, Marrone and very concerned about PG, and that he would cost us goals and games as a CB.

I was also hopeful that Williams would come good and deliver and he seemed to get his head in the right space, but is missing games for minor annoying ailments.

JA is definetly still learning and I think he will eventually be a better coach than JVS, but he must start playing the best players, in the right positions, have a plan B and change it up during games...I am not liking the current excuses, they offer false hope.

Simply put, Vrankovic or Grey must start ahead of PG and JA must play a true defensive midfielder. Grella 1st choice, Germano second and PG third option. Fred and Thompson should be interchanged, with Garcia the key attacking midfielder.

Tadic should be the main man up front, with wingers continually rotated week by week.

We also must improve at set pieces and a good set piece taker should be a priority for the club for one of our remaining spots - with our current list I cannot think of 1 decent freekick or corner where we scored

• Like 4