Melbourne Football

Melbourne vs. Brisbane - AAMI Park - 9/11/12

Jimmy

Let's not get too excited. This was a really similar game to the Victory game where they left a lot of space and we could counter attack.. The other teams in the league don't allow us to do it and we have to rely on building attacks and breaking down more defensive teams which we haven't shown that we are capable of doing yet. Until we play well against and can beat those teams then a game like this one means nothing really..

Our passing generally was still not good enough and too many times players look up, have nothing on so hit a hopeful ball..

At least we took our chances though..

All the morons questioning Tadic and Gerhardt know nothing about football. Great to see Kalmar given a go and prove what a quality footballer he is. If he isn't ahead of Thompson or Hoffman after last night then it just shows that JA is just playing favourites and Kalmar might as well go and find another club.. Garcia should be made captain when Fred isn't there..

A draw against Adelaide would be acceptable..

Great game to watch. However, our style of play does lend itself to looking good against some of the more open teams like Brisbane. When we can start pulling out these performances against more direct, compact teams like ccm, Perth etc we will have really turned the corner. For now will just enjoy what must be our second biggest win as a club.

Garcia and tadic were a different class.

Let's not get too excited. This was a really similar game to the Victory game where they left a lot of space and we could counter attack.. The other teams in the league don't allow us to do it and we have to rely on building attacks and breaking down more defensive teams which we haven't shown that we are capable of doing yet. Until we play well against and can beat those teams then a game like this one means nothing really..

This. We still only score goals on the counter, which is not our main gameplan.

All the technical stuff aside, I just thought Friday's game showed that the lads can control a game, score goals and win games when they lift their intensity. It was so obvious that when Brisbane came back into the game that it was because we had taken our foot off the accelerator. And we very nearly paid for it. Once we put the foot down again the goals just kept coming and it was more a question of how many.

We have to do that every game, not just for parts of a game now and then. To me that is JA's biggest challenge at the moment. He has just got to drive the squad harder.

Because of the rain we had retreated under the cover at the Northern End, and the people there were loving every minute of it. I've got no doubt that if we play with that intensity every week the crowds will build.

This. We still only score goals on the counter, which is not our main gameplan.

I wouldn't say all our goals against Brisbane were on the counter. Our first goal came when Brisbane had six players in the box and others around it, as Dugandzic sent in a second cross. Garcia's goal (the second) and William's goal (the fourth) were indeed classic counterattacking goals. I'm not sure I'd call the third goal counterattacking either, as the goal came from Tadic very smartly beating the defence on the edge of the box then Garcia winning a penalty. A defence had gotten back to defend the box, and we beat it.

Most of our goals have come from 'counterattacks', but that doesn't overly concern me as long as we are playing good, proactive football. Against Victory we didn't have most of the possession, but we were very proactive and indeed very attacking, pressing incredibly high up and asking questions of Victory's defence.

I hope to see us do more with ball and score more goals through possession-based play, but I don't expect or really want all our goals to come from Barcelona-esque intricate possession football. If we keep up the standard of football we've played against Victory, Brisbane and the first half against Wellington then I'll be more than happy.

All the technical stuff aside, I just thought Friday's game showed that the lads can control a game, score goals and win games when they lift their intensity. It was so obvious that when Brisbane came back into the game that it was because we had taken our foot off the accelerator. And we very nearly paid for it. Once we put the foot down again the goals just kept coming and it was more a question of how many.

We have to do that every game, not just for parts of a game now and then. To me that is JA's biggest challenge at the moment. He has just got to drive the squad harder.

The question I'm wondering is, why do we play with more intensity in some games compared with others? I don't think it's solely a matter of the coach not motivating the players sufficiently, or the players simply not being 'up' for the game. I reckon Heart, and most teams, play with high intensity when all the players know a gameplan that can work against an opposition. We've played best against Victory and Brisbane. In both games the players knew what they needed to do, in these cases frustrate the opponents possession-based football and their build ups from the back. And, I believe, our players played well and with high intensity because we had a good gameplan for both games that our players understood and could execute.

I think we sometimes lacked intensity against Perth, Central Coast and Western Sydney in part because they are physical and defensively solid teams, and in part because our gameplan either wasn't clear, good or well executed. I think it mainly was because our gameplans weren't clear and well executed against those three teams. Sometimes we booted the ball upfield from defence and sometimes we tryed to build up from the back. And I reckon we often played the long ball when we didn't need to and probably didn't build up from the back very well.

Anyway, the details don't really matter. I think Brisbane Roar played with high intensity over the past 2 seasons and found success because they had the best drilled gameplans and every player knew how the team wanted to play. I reckon if Heart's players continue to perform their roles and stick to a decent overall plan we'll keep our intensity up and keep winning matches.

Edited by Murfy1