Melbourne Football

Experience No Issue For Coach Foxe

Murfy1

Experience No Issue For Coach Foxe

By Kathy Stone Oct 28 2012 12:54

EXCLUSIVE: They may be the most inexperienced partnership in the A-League but Melbourne Heart assistant coach, Hayden Foxe said working alongside John Aloisi at the expansion club has plenty of advantages.

The former Socceroos teammates have notched up just over a year’s coaching experience between them thanks largely to Aloisi’s one-season stint with the Heart youth team before taking over the top job.

But Foxe, who was hand-picked for the assistant role by Aloisi, said the fact both had hung up their boots in February last year gave them a better insight into the mindset of their players.

“As far as experience goes there are pros and cons for both sides we know that – that’s going to be the case no matter what job you take,” Foxe said.

“Our knowledge is quite good. I’ve learnt a lot of football from a lot of top coaches over the years. The positives are that we’re only quite fresh out of the game as well.

“Our memory is still quite strong about what players are feeling and thinking, and how we felt when we were training and playing.

“So it’s quite a big plus that we can relate to the players quite well because we’re still at a younger age group.”

Aloisi orchestrated a brilliant win over their cross town rivals Melbourne Victory in the opening game of the season and his first as senior coach. But the team currently sits in seventh on goal difference going into Sunday’s tricky home match against reigning premiers Central Coast Mariners.

The 35-year-old Foxe – who has achieved cult-status with his game day kit – enjoyed a stellar career with the likes of Sanfrecce Hiroshima, Ajax, West Ham, Portsmouth and Leeds said nothing prepared him for the rigours of playing the game from the sidelines.

“As a player I used to be a coach killer – I used to be the one who made the mistakes and obviously not performing at certain times,” said the former defender who is completing his UEFA A Licence through the UK .

“But as the coach you find you don’t put the ball away. As a player you prepare yourself and get yourself right for the game and do what you need to do for the week and you’ve only really got yourself to worry about to be honest.

“With coaching it doesn’t stop. You have to prepare a whole team and squad. You’ve got players that aren’t playing, those that are injured, certain players who might not be performing – there’s a lot more to it.

“You’re analysing games and performances and come up with coaching sessions to try and break oppositions down and trying to stop them breaking you down. It’s a lot more involved than just playing – that’s for sure.”

Heart’s coaching team also draws on the knowledge of technical advisor Ron Smith who Foxe worked under at the AIS as a teenager and still counts as one of the biggest influences in his playing career.

But if the rookies calling the shots are new to life on the sidelines they have plenty of on-park experience to carry through their game plan with veterans Clint Bolton, Simon Colosimo, Fred, Richard Garcia, Matt Thompson and Dylan Macallister now joined by Vince Grella.

Foxe said of their latest recruit and former Socceroo teammate: “He’s the ultimate professional – his knowledge of the game is second to none.

“And what he will do, he’ll guide the young ones through and he’ll coach on the pitch, and that’s quite important.

“You can do a lot of coaching off the pitch but if you can have someone on the field, coaching the right way and how you perceive the game to be played that helps you 10-fold.”

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/254753,experience-no-issue-for-coach-foxe.aspx

Is anyone else concerned by JA's comments after the last 2 games. After the Perth game he blamed the heat. I understand Perth is extra hot and the game was early, but this is a summer comp and will likely be many hot games. He seemed to think that was an acceptable excuse.

And then after the CCM game he said he thought we played well because we created 3 good chances. Erm, to me that is not playing well. Also saying that it was hard to beat CCM/hard to penetrate etc that's why we lost. Then why didn't he try something different?

I love Aloisi, but he just seems to be making excuses and thinking its acceptable to lose.

However, I am willing to give him time of course.

• Like 1

Is anyone else concerned by JA's comments after the last 2 games. After the Perth game he blamed the heat. I understand Perth is extra hot and the game was early, but this is a summer comp and will likely be many hot games. He seemed to think that was an acceptable excuse.

And then after the CCM game he said he thought we played well because we created 3 good chances. Erm, to me that is not playing well. Also saying that it was hard to beat CCM/hard to penetrate etc that's why we lost. Then why didn't he try something different?

I love Aloisi, but he just seems to be making excuses and thinking its acceptable to lose.

However, I am willing to give him time of course.

Absolutely. Tired of the excuses - the temperature, other teams being hard to break down, etc. etc. This is summer football and the A-League - what does he expect Arnold to do - come to Melbourne and concede the game to us? Aloisi and Foxe are there to devise ways of winning - that's what they're paid to do.

Tied of the excuses and the same old method of play. It's not just this season, it's since we started.

If you keep repeating the inputs then the outputs are likely to be the same.

So try something different. If necessary, copy CCM - it did get them to a Grand Final

• Like 1