Melbourne Football

Carl Valeri

Huzie

I always thought he was from Canberra. His name is always mentioned whenever talk of expansion to Canberra pops up.

He IS from Canberra. Don't know where the Melbourne talk comes from (maybe because most Italian-Australian footballers are from here).

Apologies. You are correct. Save to say that his wife is from Melbourne. 

• 4 weeks later...

Carl Valeri has revealed he is considering returning to Australia to play in the A-League next season as his career reaches a crossroads after 11 years in Italy.

By David Lewis

27 MAY 2014

The 29-year-old midfielder - overlooked by Australia coach Ange Postecoglou for the 2014 FIFA World Cup - has attracted interest from Melbourne Victory and will make a decision on his future in the coming weeks.

With Ternana - the club he joined four months ago from Serie A struggler Sassuolo - now safe from the drop into Italy's third tier, Valeri is assessing his options.

"I have always wanted to play in the A-League. Everybody knows the competition is growing and improving, so there's definitely an attraction there," said Valeri.

"There has been some talk (about Melbourne Victory) and that's all it is at this stage. But I am definitely not ruling the A-League out, But, of course, Europe has so much to offer also.

"I have to sit down and think about things and discuss with my family what's best for us. Now is the time to start looking at what's out there. Hopefully I can make a decision quite soon.

"In football you can't wait too long because there are a lot of great players out there."

In a hint that either Victory, or possibly Melbourne Heart, could be his next destination, Canberra-raised Valeri added: "My wife is from Melbourne and we always said we would go back and live there some day.

"I want to find a club that will commit to me and me to them. I am still 29 and I want to be a part of something important. Wherever, or whatever, that may be.

"I am open to everything at this stage. In many ways it would be sad to leave Italy and finish not in the way I would have wanted. I can't say whether I will stay, or whether I will go."

Valeri's dream of playing in Serie A was wrecked by a long-term ankle injury which ruled him out for the start of the season with Sassuolo and ultimately made breaking into the side a task too far as the club made it clear he would not be guaranteed a starting spot.

Hence the move to Ternana, where Valeri made eight appearances leading into the club's final game of the campaign away at Reggina on Saturday morning (AEST).

Valeri, whose injury woes began when he was hurt playing his 50th game for the Socceroos against Korea Republic in Hwaseong in November 2012, added: "One of the reasons I am looking to move on is the fact that we train on a synthetic pitch and, to be honest, that really kills me.

"While my ankle has healed it doesn't do it any favours and it's definitely a factor in me looking at what else is out there.

"The pitches we train on are not just not natural for me. Training on it every day does affect me.

"I've had a fun four months here and in staying up, our objective has been reached."

Valeri has always set his standards high in Italy without ever joining Socceroos glitterati like Vince Grella and Mark Bresciano in the promised land of Serie A.

But he is downbeat over the level of his performances for Ternana, admitting: "I probably haven't been at my best.

"People say 'Carl's always injured' but really, I have only had the one injury, which was the ankle problem.

"But that has cleared up now and I am back at full fitness and looking forward to the next challenge - wherever that might be.

"The funny thing is that a while back, when I was doing well I really only had one or two clubs looking at me.

"But now, where I haven't been doing so well, I have had a few more offers, which I find a little bit strange."

A part of Australia's team at South Africa 2010, Valeri has no qualms over failing to land a call up in 2014, declaring: "Things are always changing in football and that's the way it is. You have to accept that and keep moving forward."

Asked whether he thought he might break back into Socceroos calculations for next year's Asian Cup on home soil, Valeri replied: "I don't know, first I have to sort my future out at club level and play well consistently.

"Then maybe that can happen. But there's work to do between now and then."

On Australia's prospects in Brazil where Spain, Netherlands and Chile await, he said: "It's going to be really tough for what is a young team.

"But I will watch every game and I am wishing them well as a fan on this occasion.

"They have a hard group, maybe the hardest of all, but I am not counting them out.

"I just want to see them do us proud and give everything they have got.

"I know Ange likes to play good football and it will be interesting to watch."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2014/05/26/valeri-open-league-opportunity

would like to see him here, but we have just added Mooy and Melling.  add to that Murdocca, Germano and Kalmar in terms of central midfielders and we already have a lot of depth.  

by all means Valeri would have to be a starter, but then one of those five would have to become deadwood.

that said, we could use a bit more steel in that mid.  frankly i dont trust Kalmar or Germano to be consistent enough on the tackle / defensive duties required to be a solid defensive mid.

would like to see him here, but we have just added Mooy and Melling.  add to that Murdocca, Germano and Kalmar in terms of central midfielders and we already have a lot of depth.  

by all means Valeri would have to be a starter, but then one of those five would have to become deadwood.

that said, we could use a bit more steel in that mid.  frankly i dont trust Kalmar or Germano to be consistent enough on the tackle / defensive duties required to be a solid defensive mid.

Kalmar already is dead wood.

Don't forget Mauk.

The weaknesses are not in midfield. They are GK, defence and strikers.

If he does sign for the tards, you'd assume it'd take up a fair slice of the cap if Milligan doesn't move. They need 3 starting defenders and will have little left under the cap with the wife beater, Coe, Finkler, Leijer and Kosta all on substantial dollars.

Edited by mus-28

Kalmar already is dead wood.

Fully agree. Just has not taken the next step.

Have never rated this guy.

Fully agree on this too. Valeri is one of those players that is strong but hardly a standout.

Valeri to Victory according to Ray Gatts twitter. 

Makes sense. MV need some re-enforcements and he would likely fit in well for them.

If we can sign Erik Paartalu (who Heart have already tried to sign twice over the past several months) when he's out of contract in November (around the start of November, I believe), that would be much better than Valeri, and that would that ensure Heart are completely solid in the holding/defensive midfield area.

• Like 1