Melbourne Football

Sunday October 21 - 5:00pm Perth vs. Melbourne

cadete

Big game which will be a great indicator of where we really stand in the scheme of things, if we dont get of to a good start I could see things getting a bit out of hand.

In saying that I am confident we could get a draw at least - If we are a bit more efficient than yesterday.

If you wanna watch the big game in Perth with fellow MHFC Supporters then get down to The Gimp:

http://www.facebook....74050702675222/

Edited by cadete

Huge danger game for us, 8-0 against them over the past 2 (frendly and final).

Colosimo obviously out. Garrucio is back from Int. duty and Germano and Golgol will need to pass fitness tests.

If Williams is still out I'd line up like this:

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Gray - Behich

Gerhardt

Thompson - Fred

Mate - DMac - Garcia

B: Redders, Hoff, Kalmar, Tadic

If Willo is back:

Bolton

Garcia

Thompson - Fred

Mate - DMac - Williams

B: Redders, Gerhardt, Kalmar, Tadic

If Germano is back, he'll likely be on the bench, as much as we'd love him to start...

Edited by LR9

Huge danger game for us, 8-0 against them over the past 2 (frendly and final).

Colosimo obviously out. Garrucio is back from Int. duty and Germano and Golgol will need to pass fitness tests.

If Williams is still out I'd line up like this:

Bolton

Gerhardt

Thompson - Fred

Mate - DMac - Garcia

B: Redders, Hoff, Kalmar, Tadic

If Willo is back:

Bolton

Garcia

Thompson - Fred

Mate - DMac - Williams

B: Redders, Gerhardt, Kalmar, Tadic

If Germano is back, he'll likely be on the bench, as much as we'd love him to start...

Calling it early, but would love to see the following if Williams is still recovering:

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Gerhardt - Behich

Garcia

Thompson - Fred

Dugandzic - MacAllister - Garrucio

BENCH: Redmayne - Gray - Germano - Tadic

If Williams is back, I would be tempted to put Garrucio on the bench and leave Gray out. Germano would be the nominated "backman on the bench". Germano is the most versatile guy to have on the bench for at minimum that reason, not to mention midfield dash. Hoffman hasn't showed why he deserves a spot even on the bench, and Kalmar was very unimpressive.

• Like 1

Kalmar was being played centre forward yesterday.

Hardly a performance that we can judge him fairly on.

He did look a little sluggish and disinterested, though.

Well considering we have now both Fred and Garcia its not like he will be playing in his ideal spot either if he wants a spot in the side.

We have a bit of a strange history against Perth. Our competitive match history includes 3 draws, 3 losses and 1 win. But in Perth we've drawn 2 (0-0, 1-1), won 1 (2-1) and lost 1 (last season's final, 3-0). We've played worse against Perth at AAMI Park, with 1 draw (2-2) and 2 losses (1-2, 1-2).

I don't think much can be made of that preseason friendly. It was a preseason match, and it is not reflective of how the teams have played in their first 2 games. Perth haven't been scoring a lot (won their first game 1-0, and lost their second 0-1), and we haven't been conceding a lot (2-1 and 1-1).

But, as always, history only means so much in football and anything can happen on the day. I don't think we need to be too daunted going into this match though, but it should be a competitive and entertaining game.

I think the squad will stay the same except for LW and Colosimo's spot. Gray hasn't even made the bench, so I reckon Vrankovic will start in Colosimo's place. And I'm tipping Williams to get the nod for LW.

Edited by Murfy1

It seems very likely that Perth will at least start with predominantly the same tactics that worked so well in the practice game: press aggressively on our CBs and midfielders, forcing us to play speculative long balls and then be first to every second ball. We coped very poorly and were muscled out of the game. JA and pizza boy need to come up with an effective plan to disrupt this.

I honestly can't see us getting anything from the game in truth. We haven't shown in the past an ability to cope with teams like glory pressing us high. You never know though. Will have to improve tenfold on our performances in the first two rounds so far.

did u guys finish your tifo for this game? If u can, get some one to take photos of it at the game when u unveil it n post em on here.

• Like 1

Date: Saturday 21 October, 2012

Kick-off: 2pm WST, 5pm AEDT

Venue: nib Stadium

Head-to-head

Played: 4 Wins: Glory 3, Heart 1, Draws: 0

Previous encounter

Glory 3, Heart 0, 4 April 2012

Form:

Past five matches:

Glory: LWLWW

Heart: DWLDD

The Game

Glory will have the bonus of taking on a Heart side without defender Simon Colosimo, who was sent off for handling the ball in last weekend's draw against Wellington Phoenix, while striker Shane Smeltz is expected to be back from international duties for the Kiwis.

These teams are both pretty close to full fitness right now, with only long-term injuries to Glory duo Evan Berger (hamstring) and Chris Coyne (Achilles) keeping them out of the selection picture. Other than that, it's a full compliment to pick from.

The big issue

Perth Glory – Playing in the Western Australian capital makes last season's grand finalists an even tougher proposition. The Glory have won their past three home matches and with hot weather predicted on Saturday, their advantage will only be amplified.

To accuse Glory of inconsistency just two rounds into the season is a little harsh but their two performances so far have been like chalk and cheese. Ian Ferguson's men were irrepressible in their opening round victory over Brisbane Roar but always looked like losing on Sunday as they fell 1-0 to Central Coast Mariners. Would the real Perth Glory please stand up?

Melbourne Heart – For the opening two weeks John Aloisi's charges have been inefficient in front of goal.

They wasted many chances in the 1-1 draw with the Wellington Phoenix last start when they created many opportunities with Richard Garcia, Fred and Josip Tadic all missing opportunities to snare a match winning goal.

The performance mirrored the Victory match in week one, as Dylan Macallister and David Williams both scored but also failed to convert follow-up chances.

Given Aloisi is a former Socceroos striker who scored 27 goals in 55 international appearances, Heart out of all A-League sides should be the least worried about finishing.

Heart may not have so many chances in a tough away clash against the Western Australians.

Gamebreaker

Who else but the A-League's all-time goal scorer Shane Smeltz?

The Kiwi sharpshooter scored a hat-trick to sink Melbourne Heart in the finals last season and contributed two goals against the red and white in September's pre-season friendly, a match Glory won 5-0.

Prediction:

Perth will start as deserved favourites but this really could go either way.

Perth, second favourites for the championship, are a formidable side but they're susceptible to fast counter-attacks and that's one area the Heart can rightly claim to be better at - the pace of Mate Dugandzic and the poise of Richard Garcia can hurt teams when they least expect it.

But on the other hand, the Heart's young defence will find it tough to deal with goal machine Shane Smeltz and his crafty strike partner Billy Mehmet, who scored Perth's only goal this season.

We're tipping Glory to win 2-1 in an entertaining clash.

http://www.sportal.com.au/football-news-display/preview-perth-glory-v-melbourne-heart-204190

Those statistics in the head to head are off. They only include last season, where Heart won 1 and lost 1 (2-1 and the final 0-3) at Perth and lost 2 in Melbourne (1-2 and 1-2). There were also 3 draws in our first season, 1 at AAMI Park (2-2) and 2 in Perth (0-0 and 1-1).

The 'form' section is misleading as well, with the last 3 stats being matches played last season, I think.

Looking over all the stats and matches I don't think we have ever really been outplayed by Perth. The 3 draws against them in our first season were all pretty awful matches (the first one with truly awful refereeing, where we should of won but Perth received a penalty for a dive in injury time). Last season we gifted them their first win at AAMI, with Thompson's terrible performance as CB. Then we had a solid win in Perth. The last match of the season proper was a poor 1-2 loss at AAMI, where I think we had Good and Hamill in defence. Finally, we were absymal in the finals and we played both Good and Hamill at once again.

The analysis is pretty accurate IMO. The match could go either way, and it should be an entertaining game.

I think if our defence can do a good enough job we can edge a win. If Gerhardt and probably Vrankovic are solid enough in the centre of defence and just keep Smeltz from being too influential we'll win. I've got faith Vrankovic, so I don't think we should doubt ourselves at all going into this match.

Edited by Murfy1

News that Smeltz might be out. If so the chances of us winning go dramatically up:

Ferguson said Glory’s star striker, Shane Smeltz, would have to be assessed by the club’s medical staff after they received word that he had developed “hamstring tightness” playing for New Zealand in World Cup qualifying games.

Smeltz represented the Kiwis against Tahiti in Papeete on Saturday and Christchurch on Tuesday, with the All Whites winning both games. Smeltz only came off the bench in the second game, midway through the second half.

Ferguson said Smeltz arrived back in Perth last night.

“Our physio was among the group that went out to the airport last night,” he said. “He was checking on Shane’s condition, and he’ll be further assessed today. I can’t be sure about his chances of playing on the weekend until we get a full report.

“The word we got from him over in New Zealand was that he had a bit of hamstring tightness. I don’t know if he developed it in the first game against Tahiti or the second one, or whether he’s done anything significant to it. We’ll have to see him at training and go from there.”

Perth will play Melbourne Heart at nib Stadium on Sunday.

Ferguson said he had plenty of respect for Heart, which has beaten Melbourne Victory and drawn with Wellington Phoenix in the first two rounds. Glory has beaten Brisbane Roar and lost to Central Coast Mariners.

“I think Johnny Aloisi has done a good job with them,” Ferguson said. “They’re good at controlling the game, through Richard Garcia, and breaking forward, through Fred and Matt Thompson, and they’re dangerous up front, with strikers like Dylan Macallister.”

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1124962/Ferguson-defends-Glory-tactics

• Like 1

The analysis is pretty accurate IMO. The match could go either way, and it should be an entertaining game.

I agree. Perth deserve to be favourites, but I don't think it will be as one sided as some might think. If Smeltz misses, I think we're a pretty good chance.

If Williams is ok, I'd expect the same line up as round 1, with maybe Gray in for Colosimo - he's experienced and left sided so I've always had the feeling he was brought in as a straight replacement for whenever Colosimo is invariably injured or suspended. Vrankovic possibly on the bench again.

Edited by Sash

Smeltz officially out.

Big plus for us

Yep, this.

Smeltz will probably miss the match next round as well, so there is effectively no chance of a last minute recovery.

Of the 8 goals Perth scored against us over 4 games last season, Smeltz scored 6 of them (Memhet scored the other 2).

Assuming we don't drop our game we should at least be good enough for a draw IMO, and the odds of us getting a win are much better.

Melbourne Heart squad: 1. Clint Bolton (GK), 2. Michael Marrone, 5. Fred ©, 6. Patrick Gerhardt, 8. Matthew Thompson, 9. Dylan Macallister, 10. Josip Tadic, 11. Richard Garcia, 15. David Williams, 16. Aziz Behich, 17. Jason Hoffman, 18. David Vrankovic, 20. Andrew Redmayne (GK), 21. Steven Gray, 22. Nick Kalmar, 23. Mate Dugandzic

*one to be omitted*

So who will we leave out? Williams must come in. Following Simons suspension, i would guess Gray would make the bench. That may mean either Kalmar or Hoff will be dropped.

Did we only travel to Perth with only one player to be omitted? What if we have a few last minute exclusions ala williams last week?

Melbourne Heart squad: 1. Clint Bolton (GK), 2. Michael Marrone, 5. Fred ©, 6. Patrick Gerhardt, 8. Matthew Thompson, 9. Dylan Macallister, 10. Josip Tadic, 11. Richard Garcia, 15. David Williams, 16. Aziz Behich, 17. Jason Hoffman, 18. David Vrankovic, 20. Andrew Redmayne (GK), 21. Steven Gray, 22. Nick Kalmar, 23. Mate Dugandzic

*one to be omitted*

So who will we leave out? Williams must come in. Following Simons suspension, i would guess Gray would make the bench. That may mean either Kalmar or Hoff will be dropped.

Did we only travel to Perth with only one player to be omitted? What if we have a few last minute exclusions ala williams last week?

Hardly a mystery, Hoff will be dropped because his crap.

• Like 3

*one to be omitted*

So presumably Germano and Golgol are still injured? If so just highlights how critical it is in a 27-game season and with list of 20 to focus on getting and keeping these little strain/sprain type injuries under intensive management. Sometimes wonder how serious these injuries really are when I see the knocks that AFL players take every week and yet they still come up. You miss 3 games in a 27-game season - over 10%. Cortisone and strapping...?

Suggest it will be Kalmar omitted. He did not have much game time last week but he looked lost. Hoffman not popular on here but he has a bigger engine and is more versatile.

Smeltz out is a big plus for us. We have to play at the same level that we have so far this season.

It will be Kalmar dropped, because for some reason Hoff is loved by the coaches, I don't know why he is rubbish.

Hopefully we can get Gol Gol and Germano back soon, I thought they only had one week injuries FFS. Would like some more transparency from the club, we don't deserve to be treated like idiots

You mean more versatile in playing like shit in different positions?

Well, since you put it like that...er, yes.

AFAIK, technically they're no longer injured, just recovering and unfit.

Same difference. The season will be half over before some of our blokes have come out of their cotton-wool packaging. Can't help thinking there's a bit too much mollycoddling going on.