Melbourne Football

Matchday 18: v Victory - Friday 7th February 7.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

It's good to get a win at home, even better against the visit0rs, who were pretty poor

Positive

The age of miracles isn't over, Florin scored and had an assist. If only he could play that positively every week

Not a poor player on the pitch, our midfield was very good, assisted by our wingers who often dropped back t create an overload in midfield

Glover good apart from his brain snap, but his positioning and organisation of the box is way ahead of Bouzanis

Our set piece defending was good

Negative:

We looked like we were running out of legs towards the end, luckily Kruse went walkabout

Negative: Lowest-ever home Derby crowd at 16,872.

Glover has played really well for us so that howler can be forgiven.  Jeeeze even De Gea has done similar in Manchester this year.  

I thought it was a gritty performance but I am quite amazed at the uniform praise here....we must have given the ball away 25-30 times in he second half alone.

Not our best showing at all this season. 

But it was a WONDROUS second goal.

Have a laugh at the table.....Victory are in serious danger of missing the finals.

• Like 1

another poor derby game, thought after the 1st goal we might actually attack throughout and dominate
defence was a fucking mess in the 1st half, (sick of having to watch jamo play, infuriating)
hardly noticed florin after the goal right until the assist, finally one of his flicks paid off, otherwise they just result in turnovers
noone is still fucking shit and should of been dragged

apart from the jamo tackle on the rat, the ref couldn't of been more 1 sided tonight, just plain ignoring everything the mongs did, numerous sliding tackles from behind not copping a card and at the end another pretty bad foul in a good attacking area saw no card. jamo down in the box holding his head and the spastic cunt lets them cross it back in again

content with the 3 points to hold onto 2nd for another week

Edited by Thrillhouse
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

another poor derby game, thought after the 1st goal we might actually attack throughout and dominate
defence was a fucking mess in the 1st half, (sick of having to watch jamo play, infuriating)
hardly noticed florin after the goal right until the assist, finally one of his flicks paid off, otherwise they just result in turnovers

apart from the jamo tackle on the rat, the ref couldn't of been more 1 sided tonight, just plain ignoring everything the mongs did, numerous sliding tackles from behind not copping a card and at the end another pretty bad foul in a good attacking area saw no card. jamo down in the box holding his head and the spastic cunt lets them cross it back in again

But you don't sound all that content at all

43 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

You would be fun at parties. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Caught the game on Fox - the atmosphere sounded fantastic. Was loud the whole time, crowd looked good despite what the official record suggests. Who cares. Entertaining football, a howler in there to give us the yips (which we got through and managed very well - which I haven't seen much in the Heart/City days as we would always capitulate). And we got the win, and I daresay some supporters who would come back on the back of that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neio said:

When I think of great Derby goals, I think of matt Thompson chip, paartalu header, cahill volley. And now I think Berenguer back heel sits up there. It was brilliant, where has this shit  been for past 18 months 

I was actually more impressed with Berenguer setting it up from our own half and than the long drive forward into the box. I had to look twice to see who made that run.

11 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I was actually more impressed with Berenguer setting it up from our own half and than the long drive forward into the box. I had to look twice to see who made that run.

You have to admit, that back heel was magic. If Messi did that people would be raving about it. He purposely bounce-chipped it over the defender’s leg. Very, very nice bit of skill. The entire goal was beautiful but the chip was a work of art. 

9 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

You make some fair points. I agree about Noone, and the referee. 

45 minutes ago, Harrison said:

You have to admit, that back heel was magic. If Messi did that people would be raving about it. He purposely bounce-chipped it over the defender’s leg. Very, very nice bit of skill. The entire goal was beautiful but the chip was a work of art. 

Goal of the year so far.

10 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

Surely you're taking the piss..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

He does that kind of stuff all the time and usually nothing comes out of it. Honestly mate, the back heel was intended but a back heel chip a little less so. But it worked magically I admit!

What we haven’t seen from him is a burst forward like that. Florin send Jmac away in the first place out of our own half and to assist on the back line is great stuff.

I guess we appreciate different things of the game! Which is fine.

Edited by Mr MO

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

He does that kind of stuff all the time and usually nothing comes out of it. Honestly mate, the back heel was intended but the chip wasn’t but it work out.

What we haven’t seen from him is a burst forward like that. Florin send Jmac away in the first place out of our own half and to assist on the back line is great stuff.

100 per cent he intended to chip that. You don’t backheel it the way he did (bent knee, heel on top) unless you want to bounce it.

But whatever. Happy just to argue this, at least I don’t need to defend his performance. 

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

I'm sure that isn't the first or last howler he or any other keeper will make.  they certainly happen less often than Bouzanis' howlers, and stand out even more as his performance has otherwise been good

He’s still young and inexperienced. He does seem prone to the odd mistake, I think it’s just the way he catches. What’s weird is he’s good high above his head but looks a bit more suspect when it’s chest height. But yeah, shit happens, just move past it. Mombaerts didn’t seem to be too annoyed, but the win obviously helps 😄

36 minutes ago, Harrison said:

100 per cent he intended to chip that. You don’t backheel it the way he did (bent knee, heel on top) unless you want to bounce it.

But whatever. Happy just to argue this, at least I don’t need to defend his performance. 

Defend his performance? I was the first one to vote for him. I know when credit is due he was good at last night!

But to say Florin is now Lionel Messi with eyes in the back of his head intending gravity defying back heels, bouncing it over defenders knees with precision is a little too far at stretched for me.

The backheel was great it worked and as always you need a little luck for all pieces to fall into place.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Harrison said:

He’s still young and inexperienced. He does seem prone to the odd mistake, I think it’s just the way he catches. What’s weird is he’s good high above his head but looks a bit more suspect when it’s chest height. But yeah, shit happens, just move past it. Mombaerts didn’t seem to be too annoyed, but the win obviously helps 😄

As soon as that ball slipped through his hands and was over the line he put his head in his hands with shame. That's a lad who cares about what he's doing. That's just one thing I like about him.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Defend his performance? I was the first one to vote for him. I know when credit is due he was good at last night!

But to say Florin is now Lionel Messi with eyes in the back of his head intending gravity defying back heels, bouncing it over defenders knees with precision is a little too far at stretched for me.

The backheel was great it worked and as always you need a little luck for all pieces to fall into place.

I know, just a joke, given we usually have a good chat about ol’ mate Florin. 

But I’m genuinely surprised you don’t think he intended that. I’m guessing you’ve played plenty of football before. A lot of players can execute the bounce back heel. It’s not hard to do that, the hard part is to make it all work given you need the receiver to get on the end of it.

But 100 per cent that was intended. It was a great goal, world-class.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harrison said:

But I’m genuinely surprised you don’t think he intended that. I’m guessing you’ve played plenty of football before. A lot of players can execute the bounce back heel. It’s not hard to do that, the hard part is to make it all work given you need the receiver to get on the end of it.

Certainly looks like it couldbe intentional. Only one person will know the truth. 

57 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I just think Florins idea was to back heel it back to Jmac so intend was very clear - no discussion there.

I just have my doubts that after sprinting halfway across the pitch, setting up play (very pleased about that) he was actually thinking about a backheel bounce chip over the defenders knee. At that moment on the back line with the ball running away from you, you will just try to give it power and direction (which he did). He had no idea where the Victory defenders were exactly located at that split moment - that’s luck you need sometimes.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

If you think that was a great team goal - the commentator certainly did - have another look at Alex Terra's goal in the inaugural Melbourne Derby. Marrone starts the move at right back, and it ends with Rutger Worm's deep cross on to the foot of Terra. Another one if you can find it was a goal by Harry Novillo after Aaron Mooy fed him from pretty much the same spot as Berenguer fed Maclaren last night.

15 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

Yes, we lack that killer instinct to punish teams. Luckily the visit0rs have such a poor team because we allowed them back into the game and players more reactively

Really enjoyed the game. I was afraid that both teams were going to try and park the bus but that did not eventuate - actually I was joking that the police were going to arrest 22 blokes for impersonating professional footballers. Instead I got two cracking goals, a physical game (what did cause the melee where Luna raised his 160cm height) one horrible blunder (bring back Tando!) and 3 points. I did say at the 68 minute mark that City had a way of throwing the points away and then came the blunder. For me I would have subbed off Noone. There is something not quite right at the moment. Otherwise a great team performance.

Also I am not buying Mombaerts explanation for the hoofball which we did not see much of last night.

25 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Also I am not buying Mombaerts explanation for the hoofball which we did not see much of last night.

You are right, however In his defense, I think his limited English does not allow him to elaborate on many things he tries to explain.

Well I hope so anyway.

We will see.