Melbourne Football

Matchday 18: v Victory - Friday 7th February 7.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

Probably best that we move on from the weekend's debacle. This is a great chance to prove to everyone, inluding ourselves, that we're not a spineless bunch of pushovers. Of course, we are, but if we can beat Victory here then we could use it as a springboard.

I'm predicting wholesale changes in this one, even though only two are forced.

Bouzanis out for mine after copping three, bad luck there. Obviously Delbridge is out for some time through suspension and Hendry might be done for good. Jamieson will walk back into the team. I'd be dropping Najjarine and moving Susaeta back out wide after he was almost invisible in the middle. Berenguer probably holds his spot over Genreau because of fitness but Metcalfe should get a start. I'd be tempted to give Colakovski a start over Noone but this is very unlikely.

Could easily see this:

Glover

Atkinson/Griffiths/Good/Jamieson

Metcalfe/Brillante/Berenguer

Noone/Maclaren/Susaeta

53 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Probably best that we move on from the weekend's debacle. This is a great chance to prove to everyone, inluding ourselves, that we're not a spineless bunch of pushovers. Of course, we are, but if we can beat Victory here then we could use it as a springboard.

I'm predicting wholesale changes in this one, even though only two are forced.

Bouzanis out for mine after copping three, bad luck there. Obviously Delbridge is out for some time through suspension and Hendry might be done for good. Jamieson will walk back into the team. I'd be dropping Najjarine and moving Susaeta back out wide after he was almost invisible in the middle. Berenguer probably holds his spot over Genreau because of fitness but Metcalfe should get a start. I'd be tempted to give Colakovski a start over Noone but this is very unlikely.

Could easily see this:

Glover

Atkinson/Griffiths/Good/Jamieson

Metcalfe/Brillante/Berenguer

Noone/Maclaren/Susaeta

That looks pretty good on paper

I know it won't happen, and I know that half the forum will disagree. But I'm starting Wales this week instead of Noone. Since we have gone to absolute shit the one thing that has changed is Cabrera, that guy who gets the ball runs forwards and takes on his defender. By him doing that it made a CB have to cover leaving maclaren more space and only 1 defender he needs to deal with. Wales is similar to cabbie, except without the end quality. But I'd much prefer to see Wales being positive and making a wrong decision sometimes then having see a CB launch a 50 metre high ball that Donachie will head all day

1 hour ago, neio said:

I know it won't happen, and I know that half the forum will disagree. But I'm starting Wales this week instead of Noone. Since we have gone to absolute shit the one thing that has changed is Cabrera, that guy who gets the ball runs forwards and takes on his defender. By him doing that it made a CB have to cover leaving maclaren more space and only 1 defender he needs to deal with. Wales is similar to cabbie, except without the end quality. But I'd much prefer to see Wales being positive and making a wrong decision sometimes then having see a CB launch a 50 metre high ball that Donachie will head all day

Noone at least scores a goal wales has 3 in 50. Noone has 3 in 4

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

FWIW Noone has scored in 3 of the last 4. The 4th was a 0-0 draw. I know its not everything, but theyre still good numbers for a winger.

The extent of the Noone hate is unjustified tbh, he's been one of our better players in a shitty month tbh.

Was just having a look at some A-League stats and he's equal 3rd in the league for chances created (the same amount as Diego Castro) so clearly he has worth. Sure, he's a little slow and predictable but I don't believe our gameplan suits his or Maclaren's style at the moment and we all know they're our two most likely avenues to goal. 

We desperately need Atkinson or a fit, running Galloway to play right-back to help out Noone so he can interplay more rather than running down the wing all by himself, then inevitably cutting in and getting blocked just about every time because at the moment, he's way too isolated for such a slow winger.

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

The extent of the Noone hate is unjustified tbh, he's been one of our better players in a shitty month tbh.

Was just having a look at some A-League stats and he's equal 3rd in the league for chances created (the same amount as Diego Castro) so clearly he has worth. Sure, he's a little slow and predictable but I don't believe our gameplan suits his or Maclaren's style at the moment and we all know they're our two most likely avenues to goal. 

We desperately need Atkinson or a fit, running Galloway to play right-back to help out Noone so he can interplay more rather than running down the wing all by himself, then inevitably cutting in and getting blocked just about every time because at the moment, he's way too isolated for such a slow winger.

Noone imo is a victim of the same problem that the fans have of the club; the fans own lofty expectations aren't being met, but objectively theyre still better than average in almost every aspect.
He definitely needs to have more impact, but i think there has been some good steps forward in his contributions over the last month or so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Noone at least scores a goal wales has 3 in 50. Noone has 3 in 4

And where has those 3 goals got us? This isn't an attack on Noone, but we need something different in attack. At the moment we are very easy to defend against. I highly doubt Noone will be dropped to bench, but we need to look at something

I'll admit that Atkinson as an attacking full back behind him, will definitely help this and that's hopefully the way we go this week

Glover

Atkinson - Griffiths - Good - Galloway

Genreau - Brillante - Metcalfe

Susaeta - Maclaren - Noone

Their midfield is awful, if we can't dominate the middle of the park we may as well fold the club. Get our wingers switching instead of the predictability of Noone cutting inside, it'd be nice to see him cutting the ball back across the box for Maclaren. With any luck Luna is fit and can slot in the middle and give us a bit more attacking punch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

If we're lucky will get that.

Its sad watching the old derby highlights the city Facebook page has been putting out and seeing the ground packed

Now we struggle to get half of that 😢

Was gonna post the same thing.

The Yarraside end was fucking phenomenal that day and it still shows on those highlights. 
It's hard to see how the club will ever regain that level of passion from its supporters ever again tbh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, neio said:

If you think we need wales in a reckon we are better off playing Susaeta as a out and out #10 having noone and wales on the wings

19 hours ago, bt50 said:

Noone imo is a victim of the same problem that the fans have of the club; the fans own lofty expectations aren't being met, but objectively theyre still better than average in almost every aspect.
He definitely needs to have more impact, but i think there has been some good steps forward in his contributions over the last month or so.

Keep posting sensible stuff like this and you’ll be banned or ostracised 

Do we need to play this game ?

just give us the 3 points.

Genreau, Metcalfe, Griffiths and Jammo in for mine, Brtenguer, Najjarine, Hendry, Del out.

6 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Keep posting sensible stuff like this and you’ll be banned or ostracised 

Do we need to play this game ?

just give us the 3 points.

Genreau, Metcalfe, Griffiths and Jammo in for mine, Brtenguer, Najjarine, Hendry, Del out.

Nah, bt50 is usually readable and thoughtful. Even if I don't agree, his point will usually be well made. Noone frustrates me, but there is undoubtedly talent there. How to play him to maximise that? 

10 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Nah, bt50 is usually readable and thoughtful. Even if I don't agree, his point will usually be well made. Noone frustrates me, but there is undoubtedly talent there. How to play him to maximise that? 

Noone is a huge disappointment in my eyes. A one-trick pony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

You miss understood me. I agree with BT.

incidentally I consider Noone one of our best players. Has class, creates havoc and chances. Plays like I want my wingers too.

One of the first names on the team sheet every week.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

You miss understood me. I agree with BT.

incidentally I consider Noone one of our best players. Has class, creates havoc and chances. Plays like I want my wingers too.

One of the first names on the team sheet every week.

No worries. You agreed with bt and I agree with you. I think we all agree! 

12 hours ago, Dylan said:

After all of this I’m starting to think that one of the clubs major issues is that it changes too much from season to season. 

Agree, like to see most of the players retained next year and see what happens with a stable squad and a good marquee midfielder. It's not like we're way off the pace.

58 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Agree, like to see most of the players retained next year and see what happens with a stable squad and a good marquee midfielder. It's not like we're way off the pace.

Exactly. I also have a feeling that allowing Mombaerts to bring in his own assistant who is now tech director might be an understated benefit. I also think PK needs to go abroad soon, for his own development.

Id keep all the players we have except the obvious off contract ones like Florin.

13 hours ago, Dylan said:

After all of this I’m starting to think that one of the clubs major issues is that it changes too much from season to season. 

Don't think there's much doubt about this. IMO our turnover of players and assistant coaches has been horrendous. I also get the feeling that there's a significant turnover in administrative staff as well.

• Like 2

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 14.Markel SUSAETA, 17.Denis GENREAU, 19.Lachlan WALES, 20.Adrian LUNA, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 30.Moudi NAJJAR, 36.Kerrin STOKES, 34.Connor METCALFE, 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI

**2 to be omitted**

Ins: 3.Scott JAMIESON (returns from suspension), 20.Adrian LUNA (returns form injury), 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI (promoted), 36.Kerrin STOKES (promoted)

Outs: 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE (suspended - 2 weeks), 5.Jack HENDRY (knee)

Unavailable: 40.Richard WINDBICHLER (hamstring)

Anyone else reckon Brillante might play CB again? 

Victory have such a potent and quick attack that perhaps Brillante will be a better defensive option given his rapid closing down speed. Griff can then screen in a defensive midfield position in front of him against a crappy Victory midfield.

• Like 1

I fear this one. Rojas has always been one of their better attackers and is a more than able replacement for Kosta up front.

I feel OK saying that, it is NZ's national day today and those two and me are all Kiwis.

It's the day before the derby and we are still on page one of match thread.  Says it all really. 

36 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

🤦‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Tomi said:

Poor fellas probably had a nervous breakdown from reading top comments like this week in week out 🤦🏻‍♂️🙅‍♂️

If he read he read the comments on here he would've quit a long time ago.

Tongue in cheek comment at most mate, obviously I hope he's alright personally

• Like 1