Melbourne Football

Fred

Murfy1

Ladies and Gentlemen, remember that the posters to this forum are few in number compared with the total Heart membership. No-one can claim to 'represent' an overall view. What we post are our personal opinions only. I know the identity of only a couple of other posters. I don't know either Cadete or Markn and I personally welcome both their contributions. I agree with some, disagree with others, just as you all do with me.

• Like 3

After doing a bit of research, when Fred has missed games, or gone off injured, we have a record of zero wins, 5 draws, and 8 losses.

When he's played, we've won 10 games, drawn 6 and lost 3.

As well as his skill, his attitude and work rate have been exemplary. The only issue with his captaincy is that he seems to be the type that leads through example rather than using a lot of communication. He often does so much, that it's very noticable when he's not there because we haven't had anyone who comes close to replacing him. At times last year, he almost WAS our midfield. With Garcia and Grella, we should have a more balanced midfield this year, and players with the ability and skill to make up for his loss. But I really don't understand how people can undervalue his contibution.

The hamstrings are a concern though. As I understand it, when you tear a hamstring once or twice, it's more likely to succumb to a recurrence of it. Otherwise, he's physical condition has been excellent. His age in itself is no issue at all.

It will be interesting to see the impact that Grella has. Because otherwise, I reckon we probably have no hope of winning the league without Fred.

Edit: Actually, he went off at half time against Perth didn't he? Add another loss to the column when he's not there.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 4

After doing a bit of research, when Fred has missed games, or gone off injured, we have a record of zero wins, 5 draws, and 8 losses.

As well as his skill, his attitude and work rate have been exemplary. The only issue with his captaincy is that he seems to be the type that leads through example rather than using a lot of communication. He often does so much, that it's very noticable when he's not there because we haven't had anyone who comes close to replacing him. At times last year, he almost WAS our midfield. With Garcia and Grella, we should have a more balanced midfield this year, and players with the ability and skill to make up for his loss. But I really don't understand how people can undervalue his contibution.

The hamstrings are a concern though. As I understand it, when you tear a hamstring once or twice, it's more likely to succumb to a recurrence of it. Otherwise, he's physical condition has been excellent. His age in itself is no issue at all.

It will be interesting to see the impact that Grella has. Because otherwise, I reckon we probably have no hope of winning the league without Fred.

Edit: Actually, he went off at half time against Perth didn't he? Add another loss to the column when he's not there.

100% agree. Fred leads by doing the hard hards. He's almost everywhere at once, a 12th man on the pitch. We did well to get him. I hear Grella is good with the lads and I think he'll be really good at helping to organise the boys on the pitch during game time. Dare I say a kind of Muscrat presence.

Seriously, maybe Fred is a player whom we should be using selectively - i.e. we don't attempt to play him every single game so that we can give his body time enough to recover. For example, if that Won 10, Drawn 6 and Lost 3 was our home record we'd be drawing bigger crowds than we do currently.

We didn't attempt to play JA every game because of his legs - why not Fred?

Seriously, maybe Fred is a player whom we should be using selectively

You dont play your number "8" selectively.

Its like changing the engine of a car just to preserve the engine. If the engine is no good, you cut your losses and rebuild the car with a new engine.

Maybe we need a new number "8". I think we need a new number 8, but it does not mean Fred is not important. Given what i saw last week, Mate was fantastic.

is kalmar a striker? why was he subbed on against Wellington in that role?

Surely the hoff is better up front than kalmar. mind you all i can remember from kalmar is his goal against newcastle.

He was subbed on because he is good in the air and can replicate what DMac provides for JA's system I assume. That said, there were signs last week that JA was looking to vary the attack away from the long ball stuff. We just need midfielders that can pass and move intelligently to pull that sort of game off. Fred is the only player we have right now that fits that mold and he is only going to play half the games this year.