Melbourne Football

Fred

Murfy1

Fred Targets Australian Passport

By Kathy Stone

Oct 12 2012

EXCLUSIVE: Melbourne Heart skipper Fred wants to follow in the footsteps of fellow Brazilian Cassio and become an Australian citizen if he can extend his stay in the A-League.

The midfield maestro’s contract with the expansion club runs out at the end of this season but with his young family settled in Melbourne, he hopes to secure a more permanent arrangement.

A lot will depend on whether Heart offers the 33-year-old import another contract – something he says he would grab with both hands.

Just last month Adelaide United left back Cassio celebrated his Aussie citizenship with family, friends and teammates at the Reds’ home ground, Hindmarsh Stadium.

Now Fred, who has two daughters aged five and one, says he hopes to take a similar step.

“If I stay here longer I will – it’s something I’ve been thinking about,” he said. “If we stay longer it’s better for the family to do the citizenship.

“My wife (Debora) loves it here and my oldest one likes it here too. My little one is just one year – so she doesn’t know just yet.”

Fred enjoyed a stellar season with Melbourne Victory in 2006-07 before signing for DC United in the MLS. After five years, he said, his family was keen to return to Australia.

Injuries plagued his first season with Heart but now, close to full fitness following groin surgery, he’s keen to lead a team he believes can go all the way.

“I think when you have a group with good players and good friendships in the group, everything goes well,” Fred said.

“That’s why Melbourne Heart is very good – everyone’s like a family. When you win we win all together and when you’ve lost everyone’s lost. You never point the finger at any player. That’s why it’s very good.

“Every club you play for is different – different players, different situation but I’m very happy for Melbourne Heart and I hope I can stay here for long.”

Heart’s 2012-13 campaign got off to a blinder last week with a 2-1 win derby win over Victory, and Fred praised rookie coach John Aloisi for his meticulous preparation and ability to build a sense of belief in the player group.

“He’s a very good coach even though they say he’s young but I think he does a very good job,” Fred said. “During (last) week he tried to put everything to us to show us about our opponent.

“He got us very confident to play with his motivation before the game. Always he talk to us and give us confidence and I think this will help us during the season.

“He say to us: Look guys, we had a good week, we had a long pre-season, and you guys are very good players, we can win the game so just believe it. These words can motivate everyone I think.

“We feel we can do better than last year - we have more experienced guys in the team – but you always have to go step by step.

“Now we have Wellington (Phoenix) in front of us. We try to do our best and try to win another game and this will give us more confidence as we play each game. Then we look forward to be in the Grand Final.”

But he warned that visitors Phoenix – who he joined for a brief guest stint in 2008 – will be no pushovers on Sunday afternoon, despite losing half of their starting XI to a World Cup qualifier.

“That makes it worse,” Fred said. “They come from the bench and they want to show they can start every game so this will be very difficult for us.

"They are a very good team but I think if we play like we did against Victory we can do a good job.”

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/253283,fred-targets-australian-passport.aspx

Real pleased to hear those comments from Fred. He sounds like someone who truly gets out there and plays for the shirt, and it's good to hear he is already hopeful of getting a contract extension with Heart. If he can stay mostly fit he simply is a must to resign.

D-Mac also said Melbourne Heart is "like a family" and without any "big heads" in the dressing room. I think Heart could have a really strong season based on that team unity and solidarity.

Fred was pretty sloppy out there today. Can't see him going beyond this season.

I'll reserve judgement until after a few more rounds yet. Fred has shown some great touches and has got stuck in, but yes, has looked sloppy at times. Hope he picks up consistency as his fitness builds.

Fred was pretty sloppy out there today. Can't see him going beyond this season.

Agree. At times I think he wont be subbed off simply because he is 'Fred'.

At times, even last year, he was too individual. He must love turning into trouble rather than giving the simple ball.

Was I watching another game? Most of what he did today was typically excellent. A couple of turnovers/missed opportunities in front of goal probably stand out because they're so unexpected. He may have tired in the second half though. It can happen when you cover the ground he does, and you're down a man, and you started pre-season later than others. I'd be shocked if he's not playing next year. Only injury will stop him.

• Like 2

Absolutely useless in front of goal. He could've slotted that one on one so easily, then that "chip" he attempted was just laughable. He obviously doesn't believe in percentage play.

His passing was great and he created a few chances ( ie. Dmacs spastic slice ) but at the end of the day I blame him more than colossimo for dropping the 2 points.. And I think his a good enough bloke to realize that himself.

• Like 1

Absolutely useless in front of goal. He could've slotted that one on one so easily, then that "chip" he attempted was just laughable. He obviously doesn't believe in percentage play.

His passing was great and he created a few chances ( ie. Dmacs spastic slice ) but at the end of the day I blame him more than colossimo for dropping the 2 points.. And I think his a good enough bloke to realize that himself.

100% agree.

What simon did was not that bad. a goal line "save" could have saved us a goal. had the resulting penalty been saved i bet nobody would be on simons back. he would have been praised for his great team work.

Wow just wow. For 2 and a bit years now I've watched Colosimo play like a hack at the back. People still sing his praises. Can't pass, puts in terrible challenges and has a shit attitude. He has cost us so many games. I have a theory that he is Adrian Leijer in disguise. In contrast Fred is a super star and has largely been a one man midfield. Sure he scuffs a few shots but to say he was more liable for the loss than Colosimo. Just wow.

• Like 4

Wow just wow. For 2 and a bit years now I've watched Colosimo play like a hack at the back. People still sing his praises. Can't pass, puts in terrible challenges and has a shit attitude. He has cost us so many games. I have a theory that he is Adrian Leijer in disguise. In contrast Fred is a super star and has largely been a one man midfield. Sure he scuffs a few shots but to say he was more liable for the loss than Colosimo. Just wow.

KW3Q4.jpg

Nah i'm not having that. This is the a-league and Colosimo is a reasonable Cb and unless we've got the funds to go get someone better its not worth complaining about

Players should be judged not merely on what they do but on what they do relative to their potential. IMO too few of our players perform close enough to their maximum often enough, and the results of the past two seasons show that, as did Sunday's game. Just because Fred is Fred doesn't mean to say that he shouldn't be judged on the same criterion as any other player. Likewise Bolton and Colosimo. We should stop making excuses for what was a poor result against a half-strength Phoenix.

• Like 1

Sorry but I also think that Colosimo is not a great defender. He may have the experience and physical strength, but he is too slow and commits fouls because he comes in late, he is not the right type of CB for the type of football we want to play. Plus I thought that he would not make a mistake like on Sunday based on his experience.

I was disappointed with Fred because he was very inconsistent, brilliant one moment, terrible the next.

• 2 weeks later...

recruiting an over 30 year old injury prone player who is a former hero for our fiercest rivals and coming off an ordinary season in the MLS was a questionable decision by our club in the first place. ontop of that making him our captain was plain stupid IMO.

i thought we were meant to differentiate ourselves from the tards? i think it confused many supporters of the red and white but nonetheless supported it because of his obvious technical talents. but can we honestly say that he is captain material or shown attributes of a captain since? i dont think so.

now we have witnessed the downside of this recruitment. as we are so heavily reliant on him the minute he goes down shit hits the fan. having said that i hope his injury lay off is longer term as we can plan ahead and possibly look at dugandzic playing that role for the immediate future as its obvious that Fred wont last the season.

he must relinquish the captaincy for the good of the club. or if the coaching staff have any balls or brains which looks like they possess neither by looking at recent match day performances than they should make the decision themselves.

When Fred was signed JD said something along the lines that Fred '...is still in superb physical condition.'

Yes, there were injury concerns about Richard Garcia. He downplayed them, and so far he's turned out to be a very good signing. If you remember, even JA had to be nursed though his season as a player with us.

JA acknowledged that there were injury concerns about GolGol before he signed - the jury is still out on him.

Vince Grella - the jury hasn't even been selected.

We're never going to get these things right 100% of the time. No-one does. It would be interesting, however, to look at our injury statistics compared with the other clubs.

• Like 1

Wasn't this said about Garcia and Grella and probably a few others too?

D-Mac also.

Fred is good, just as good as Garcia.

wouldnt expect him to score, hes not the best finisher obviously, and thats up to the strikers.

if he chips in this year with at least 3 hes done his bit.

You have to add my mate cadete in this one too.

BTW can i half like fiz hearts post?

All I want to know Markn is why???

Why do u even bother coming on a Forum, where the only the feedback you receive towards your posts is negative?

You are the Jason Akermanis of this forum, every single opinion you post about MHFC on here is universally and automatically opposed by 90% of all posters.

Dont you think if the whole army is always marching to the tune of one beat and yourself always alone to the tune of another, that just perhaps you opinions may not be as valid and correct as you think they are???

Edited by cadete

Wasn't this said about Garcia and Grella and probably a few others too?

Yes but they're not international marquees hence my point. Garcia was always gonna be a very handy player and Vinnie is just Vinnie. Plus they're both on one year contracts.

Fred was given the keys to the club. Fucked if i know why!

And by that you mean terribly, terribly incorrect?

A little off topic but i'm happy to go there.

I may not always be right .......and i may not always be wrong..... but i always encourage logical rebutals. Sometimes a rebut helps raise points i never knew existed.

Barring a select few, i rarely receive any logical rebutals. (cadete is not included in my select few ;) )

For someone with less than 200 posts, i'm a fairly 'popular' man.

Everyone kept telling galileo he was wrong. I therefore must be galileo.