Melbourne Football

A-League players are golfers at Heart

Murfy1

A-League players are golfers at Heart

10 Oct 2012

by Hamish Jones / Golf Australia

00122954-image.jpg

For Melbourne Heart FC striker and new Crown Lager Social Golf Club member David Williams, the golf course is one place where he can take time out from his match regime and enjoy a round with team mates.

Williams, who scored in the Melbourne Derby last Friday, joined fellow former Socceroo and Heart captain Simon Colosimo and team mates Matt Thompson, Andrew Redmayne, Jason Hoffman, Nick Kalmar and Stephen Gray for a round at Yarra Bend Golf Course in Melbourne as new members of Golf Australia’s Crown Lager Social Golf Club.

Originally from Brisbane, Williams has played for A-League sides Brisbane Roar and North Queensland Fury as well as a stint at Danish side Brondby where he scored in the league and UEFA Cup.

“I’ve probably been playing golf on and off for the last four years and only recently got my own clubs. I need to get into it a lot more. I enjoy the walk around and it’s a bit of exercise outside of a football,” Williams said.

“Golf is such a technical game and you’ve got to master it and I still wonder how the hell some of these unbelievable professional players make some of the shots that they do but I can understand if they came to footballers and asked us about making that kind of kick or pass – it works both ways.”

Williams said golf was a good outlet and chance for the squad to spend time together away from the club.

“It’s good bonding too, for us as a team. For me it’s a really calming game - not always for everyone else but it’s funny to see the boys react when they don’t hit the shot they wanted. It’s enjoyable to get away, you drop everything as soon as you get on the golf course and you don’t really think about anything else.”

“I’ve been in football six years now and it’s the thing to do outside of football – to play golf,” Williams added.

http://www.golfaustralia.org.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=73154

• Like 1