Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

It is also worth noting in regards to pitch size the Glenferrie Oval is tiny due to it being essentially squashed due to the train line which makes it close enough to a football pitch.

Understandable, but still, wouldn't the stadium be a good option till we can pull larger crowds/support ourselves better?

It is also worth noting in regards to pitch size the Glenferrie Oval is tiny due to it being essentially squashed due to the train line which makes it close enough to a football pitch.

http://en.wikipedia....Glenferrie_Oval

Current capacity is stated as 10k but as an AFL oval. Can get more then if converted to rectangle. Seems like a good starting point. On whether these things have been discussed before, well Scott Mun said we weren't into marquee players earlier this year and now we apparently are gunning for Becks. How things can change. Cevapi and Giros at Glenferrie. Now that could attract a crowd. :P

Edited by HEARTinator

What's the difference between this and AAMI park with the top level closed?

We have enough supporters around, we just need them to turn up to games rather than watching on TV.

We need to make attending Heart games a part of Melbournes sporting culture.

Because the stadium would look less empty and the atmosphere would be better. Even if the crowd was 20k,there would still be 10k seats left empty

this thread, condensed into a single post. no wonder we're such a rabble.

- the club needs to do something

- the club needs to do nothing

- the government should do something

- the government will do nothing

- the fans need to suggest something

- the fans shouldn't suggest something

- build/move to a new stadium

- don't build/move to a new stadium

- international supporter makes helpful points

- international supporter gets shot down

- positive ideas met with negative responses saying we should be more realistic

- realistic, negative responses met with positive responses saying we shouldn't think the way we do and/or do not

• Like 2

this thread, condensed into a single post. no wonder we're such a rabble.

- the club needs to do something

- the club needs to do nothing

- the government should do something

- the government will do nothing

- the fans need to suggest something

- the fans shouldn't suggest something

- build/move to a new stadium

- don't build/move to a new stadium

- international supporter makes helpful points

- international supporter gets shot down

- positive ideas met with negative responses saying we should be more realistic

- realistic, negative responses met with positive responses saying we shouldn't think the way we do and/or do not

You forgot the most important one and the one that'll make the biggest difference, we need to regularly win at home

Edited by belaguttman

true we should get results at home and or not get results at home and convince the club to do better to convince us

In any forum, in any sport, you will have people who have differing opinions.

Some see the club through rose coloured glasses and the club, in their eyes, can do no wrong. They will always side with the club, no matter what.

Then you will have some that want more and see the club holding back and want to place pressure on them.

This will cause differing opinions. It's a fan forum, this is what it is about. We all have a deep passion towards the club so providing discussion is a great thing. It shows that we do have passionate fans who care.

Right now, I won't agree that everything is great with our club and we should just sit back and let the club handle it. This process has got the club in the mess they are now. But I respect people who don't agree with me.

Changes and success is made by doers though. We can talk all we want on here but action needs to be taken. This will occur.

• Like 1

Yesterday's crowd was well below average. Meaning, it's not indicative.

There's enough good will to build the crowds - which have been edging up since year one. (Except for the last few weeks.) The problem has been that every time we've reached a higher crowd, we've squandered it with a shit performance.

We did it last year when we lost to Perth and Adelaide at home in front of crowds around 8,000. We did it again this year when we couldn't beat Wellington in front of 10,000. And then followed that with three losses in a row.

Yesterday was always going to be a low crowd - we haven't been playing well, weather, and playing a side that regularly beats us easily. (By the way, I couldn't go because of work, and it was the first home game I've missed since I started going.)

But now we have a chance to build again. We won, and we're at least mid table now instead of being in the last two. The next home game is a derby, so there's no better opportunity to get fans excited again.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but it's about performance and results. Without results, I believe there is nothing we can do to increase crowds.

Edited by Sash
  • Like 1

I think we need to establish a base. What is the base crowd we should average without the derby. Then from there the club has to do two things;

1) Retain these supporters with all aspects of supporter content and giving them reason to turn up every week. I think a solid base would be 7,500.

2) Find new supporters. If you can get 1,000 - 2,000 fans a week to be theater watchers that would be ok. People that follow the side but not so passionate to commit to membership or come every week.

On point one, we only have 5,850 members and that figure should be diluted with giveaways and the like. I am saying maybe 5,000 people have committed to be core. Now, the club has stated there are a few thousand who have committed in the past but not come back. Get on the phone and talk to these people and even offer them a membership at a discounted rate for the rest of the year. Along with that, if they take the deal, they get to be in a competition to win a major prize. the competition could be something cool like a penalty shoot out at half time of a game. Get them interested in the club again. They made the decision to commit before so bring them back. The competition could be spread out over a few weeks so they have the chance to be on AAMI Park a few times. This will bump up the membership figures this season as well as providing some TLC to former members. It also brings them back to games every week for the competition. We desperately need to build our core members up to at least 7,500 who turn up every week rain, hail or shine. Also as stated on here, content from the club needs to be addressed. Website should be overflowing with information, videos, competitions etc. Our players and key staff should be flooding the airwaves and tv all week. Melbourne Heart should populate the media. If we have around 2,000 people who have lapsed we should be doing everything to get them back again.

On Point number two, most will hate this but it's a way to get people in. Giveaway premium seat tickets on the outer wing to families and communities. Yes give them away. So physically go to a few Primary Schools, talk to the Principle, and have him commit students and their families to come along to a game. Tell them they will have the best seats in the house,their schools will be recognised on the scoreboard and after the game they will meet a player and the kids get a showbag filled with stickers, MH water bottled and pencil cases. You do this with three different schools a week for the rest of the season. What this will do will promote the club to these school kids, have them enjoy the whole experience and want to come back, fill a part of the stadium which is vital for us, and with a bit of TLC to these people, bring them back again. We offer each of these families a voucher for a Family membership next year, when they present this voucher they will get a Family membership, at a cheap rate, at a Premium location. Now if your bringing three different schools a week, say 100 kids each school can commit, plus mum and dad. That's around 1,000 people a week we are getting extra to come and if you work on sales logic, we should be able to retain 40% of those if we work it right. 400 x how many games left looks great already for next season's membership numbers and our promotion to these communities.

I don't understand how we can have Premium A seats out on that outer wing. Have it as a family area, away from the Active area where some parents may feel threatened and if it is a Family area, they will feel safe and enjoy the experience more. Also, there are seats right on the wing on the half way line with a decent view. The kids will love being around other kids their age, parents can meet other parents etc. They will talk and want to do this again I assure you. The club does the initial stuff ok but never follows up. Maybe for the last home game, everyone who has attended get cheaper admission tickets to come again and sit in that area. So that's ALL the schools that have been invited. Last game of the year, big crowd, more people in their area, PUMP membership message to them there. A win would guarantee them come back next season. Of course, the club keep the data on who attends and doesn't to market to them again. Give each kid a flag or banner to hold up at the game to create colour....so many options.

I know most will say giving away isn't fair and it will cost the club, but I would rather action like this be taken then a wish and a dream. This gets people to attend games, experience the club and gives them a feeling of priveledge with the support we show them. If we do have Premium A members there (I heard we have around 60 on that side) move them to the bench wing for the rest of the year.

Anyway, yet another suggestion.... don't know how good or bad it is.

• Like 1

Well said Melburnian and a good balanced perspective. The match day results are obviosly vital, but I also want to grow rusted on supporters through thick and thin. As a Tigers AFL supporter, it's not only on field success that brings supporters, but other factors. Let's be honest, Richmond have been shit for 30 years but still have a solid base.

There are many ways to improve attendances and many different skill sets of all supporters. I for one have no idea about marketing, building a ground or how to run community engagement. What I can do is buy a decent family membership (ie a donation component) which forces me to take friends when my wife and daughter aren't keen to attend. Several friends have joined because of the experience. I also coach junior soccer so I get kids to clinics run by the club or the five a side day, wear my Heart shirt or jacket at training to get some kids interested, and my team are walking out at the start of the game on Feb 9 next year with the players. I suppose what I'm saying is that there is no magic bullet, but if we all think about what we can do on a micro level with our own resources and ideas, we can slowly turn things around. I certainly encourage all ideas because, from reading this forum, we have a passionate, variable and highly capable group of people contributing. We also have people with the ideas and skill sets to look at a macro level and this should certainly be encouraged and fostered. The link between macro ideas and the club could be improved, and any micro ideas should be placed on this forum. I for one am always interested in others' ideas and how I could implement them.

I suppose I'm invoking the JFK " ask not what your country can do for you, ...............".

Actually, I agree about doing something with the premium A and B sections. Personally, I think Premium A and B reserved seating should just be on the city side at this stage. And leave the outer side as general admin. Then only open up the outer side for reserved seating if there's enough demand.

The outer side isn't as good anyway, because you're looking into the sun whenever we play in the afternoon. And maybe we could do something more for premium A and B members given that there would be general admin seats which are almost as good.

I do like the school idea, it would not only bring more people through the gates, but also advertise the whole community engagement thing that the club tries to promote. I also think that it is important to try and get friends interested, just asking is good, even if you think they'll say no, it is good to ask because they may say yes, and enjoy the experience.

The idea of "free" childrens tickets is good. Saturate Melbourne with them. Then when parents come with their children and realise that a family ticket is $50.00 and then add up their two GA adult tickets, they will smile and know what has happened to them. But as the original childrens tickets were free they will still be happy, won't they?

"Loss leaders" work elsewhere and this idea may well work in the long run for Heart. Try it!

The idea of "free" childrens tickets is good. Saturate Melbourne with them. Then when parents come with their children and realise that a family ticket is $50.00 and then add up their two GA adult tickets, they will smile and know what has happened to them. But as the original childrens tickets were free they will still be happy, won't they?

"Loss leaders" work elsewhere and this idea may well work in the long run for Heart. Try it!

Have FREE tickets for the whole family from those schools. Children, Mum and Dad. I want them paying nothing for the game the attend. Not a cent. It is once they walk into the stadium, take their seat, where we add new supporters to our great club.

This promotion is needed to gain some new supporters and members. If we get the kid crazy about us, the parents will follow.

1+ to the school idea. but not primary school, year 10-12 imo

need moar sluts

No, sorry mate, primary schools. This is where we can make our significant mark.

Just out of curiosity, does the club have to pay for the free tickets it gives out, or can they just let in who ever they want, and just pay the stadium rent?

From what i know with the Melbourne Tigers. They pay to rent the stadium for the game and the money they make from tickets they get. So there would be a minimum attendance of paying fans they aim for each time to break even and if they get more than that it is a bonus. So i would assume Heart would be the same as the Tigers and it would not cost them that much for the free tickets if they break even.

• Like 1

Actually, I agree about doing something with the premium A and B sections. Personally, I think Premium A and B reserved seating should just be on the city side at this stage. And leave the outer side as general admin. Then only open up the outer side for reserved seating if there's enough demand.

The outer side isn't as good anyway, because you're looking into the sun whenever we play in the afternoon. And maybe we could do something more for premium A and B members given that there would be general admin seats which are almost as good.

The Premium B tickets are worse than GA, that's why we dropped them and went GA after season 1. They have a worse view and are exposed to the rain and season 1 & 2 it was always raining

The Premium B tickets are worse than GA, that's why we dropped them and went GA after season 1. They have a worse view and are exposed to the rain and season 1 & 2 it was always raining

I agree. What is the point in them.

I say have Premium A on the wing bench side of the stadium, have family seating on the outer wing, no Premium B, and active side of the ground and a GA side of the ground.

• Like 1

I believe our current seating plan needs to be reassessed. It is vital that our clubs product becomes more appealing to TV viewers by better filling the stadium and specifically the east wing. This needs to be achieved however not by just making a whole wing GA or something ridiculous like that but to make it more affordable to sit on the wings but to still make it justifiable to buy a Premium A seat. I've made up my own seating plan which I think is perfect for us. It expands where someone with a GA ticket can sit, gives Premium B a point and retains the value of Premium A by giving them the best seat in the house.

Current seating plan:

11658240.png

My seating plan:

11658254.png

The better seats for Premium B members on the east wing is justifiable as they have to look into the sun for our afternoon games. These changes should also be accompanied by a $5-$10 dollar drop in ticket prices across the board.

Edited by Jimmy

I believe our current seating plan needs to be reassessed. It is vital that our clubs product becomes more appealing to TV viewers by better filling the stadium and specifically the east wing. This needs to be achieved however not by just making a whole wing GA or something ridiculous like that but to make it more affordable to sit on the wings but to still make it justifiable to buy a Premium A seat. I've made up my own seating plan which I think is perfect for us. It expands where someone with a GA ticket can sit, gives Premium B a point and retains the value of Premium A by giving them the best seat in the house.

The better seats for Premium B members on the east wing is justifiable as they have to look into the sun for our afternoon games. These changes should also be accompanied by a $5-$10 dollar drop in ticket prices across the board.

Posted this at the end of last season, very similar thoughts and I think it is still relevant...

20u7ozr.jpg

I still think we need a smaller ground as AAMI is way to big for us atm.

it's a good (and rather 'romantic') idea that we would break the shackles of a 30,000 seat stadium (which i think we were expected to fill at least once outside of a derby).

however as the stadium is only four or so years old (not sure how much you know about the stadium etc), the likelihood (and sadly the cost) of moving to another stadium is a pipe dream maybe 10 or 15 years down the track unless something dramatically changes.

Heart's chief executive Scott Munn admitted that Saturday's slide, in particular, was a concern. It was hot, but Munn is more inclined to blame the kick-off time, a schedule dictated to by the demands of television, than other factors.

''Most of the feedback seems to be that summer sport has an impact on some of our younger fans. If you are playing cricket, for example, that doesn't finish until Saturday evening, and also many younger people work on Saturdays, so a 5.30 kick-off hurts that.

''Our membership has plateaued [around 6000] and we know the marketplace is tough and competitive. We also realise the best way to attract supporters is to have a winning team. The victory over Glory at the weekend helped boost everyone, and we look forward to a big crowd against Victory on December 22.''

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2EmzhG41N

More excuses as to why nobody can be arsed coming down to watch us play.

Edited by KSK_47

Heart's chief executive Scott Munn admitted that Saturday's slide, in particular, was a concern. It was hot, but Munn is more inclined to blame the kick-off time, a schedule dictated to by the demands of television, than other factors.

''Most of the feedback seems to be that summer sport has an impact on some of our younger fans. If you are playing cricket, for example, that doesn't finish until Saturday evening, and also many younger people work on Saturdays, so a 5.30 kick-off hurts that.

''Our membership has plateaued [around 6000] and we know the marketplace is tough and competitive. We also realise the best way to attract supporters is to have a winning team. The victory over Glory at the weekend helped boost everyone, and we look forward to a big crowd against Victory on December 22.''

http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2EmzhG41N

More excuses as to why nobody can be arsed coming down to watch us play.

Sign Beckham and all will be fixed. For a while.

• Like 1

I say we keep focusing our attention more on minimal charity work than being a football club. Then all we need to do is wait for a game with a kickoff time that suits everyone in the city and make sure the temperature, UV index and atmospheric pressure are perfect. Then we will see crowds come in their tens of thousands!

Focus on Minimal Charity Work so fucken true - Love it H!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cant wait for the Purists to swoop on that one...

:tooth:

I say we keep focusing our attention more on minimal charity work than being a football club. Then all we need to do is wait for a game with a kickoff time that suits everyone in the city and make sure the temperature, UV index and atmospheric pressure are perfect. Then we will see crowds come in their tens of thousands!

So, so very true.

It looks like One Man Band Ange seems to have the answers in regards to the importance of match day atmosphere - and K. M****t.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/fans-an-integral-part-of-the-journey-dont-leave-them-behind-20121213-2bcm1.html

Whilst at Heart we have a passionate core, we need greater numbers to generate more buzz. Hopefully this call to involve supporters will be heard around the league as some clubs seem to value their supporters more than others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic