Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

That would hurt us even more. It's not about the name, it's the fact that the club expected everything to go as planned with very little effort, realized that's not the case and simply gave up.

Exactly. Thought it would simply happen being in Melbourne and failed.

Sorry JW calling us so called supporters when we have the clubs interest at heart is a low blow by you. You can have your head in the sand all you like and look through rose coloured glasses as our club dies a slow death. All those positives you mentioned are great for core supporters, we all recognise this and wont be going anywhere. But it doesn't change the fact we are not sustainable.

Private owners or not this is my club and I invest time and money into it. I'm not simply going to rely on employees of the club as they have proven not good enough. I want to help make my club the best it can be, not sit back and ignore the negatives whilst the club goes backwards.

Edited by Melburnian

Low blow or not, it's hard to reach any other conclusion about your level of support when your posts are viewed as a whole.

Take this little offering for example:

'The other motive for sitting on the other side of AAMI was to get a different perspective of the crowd and atmosphere and see what can be done. I have to say, the club is failing. Match day atmosphere is subpar and if I am honest the worst in all sports. This is not the Yarraside who are the heart of our fan base and give 1000% but are doing the best with a club lacking ambition and creativity. This club refuses to be different and attract new people to games. It's the same dour message and it's embarrassing. Listening to SEN on the way to a mates house and they were all over the poor crowd, coming home tonight they were still discussing it and saying we should relocate to Geelong.

I am sorry to say, but the club is in serious trouble. The brand of football is mundane and the clubs ambition stinks. Happy to be the other team in Melbourne, in a city that wants ambition and leaders. Our club have none of this. Anyone defending the club really need to open their eyes.'

Overall it reads that everyone - the syndicate, the management, the employees, the players, even the other supporters who 'defend' the club - is at fault. Except, perhaps, yourself?

Low blow or not, it's hard to reach any other conclusion about your level of support when your posts are viewed as a whole.

Take this little offering for example:

'The other motive for sitting on the other side of AAMI was to get a different perspective of the crowd and atmosphere and see what can be done. I have to say, the club is failing. Match day atmosphere is subpar and if I am honest the worst in all sports. This is not the Yarraside who are the heart of our fan base and give 1000% but are doing the best with a club lacking ambition and creativity. This club refuses to be different and attract new people to games. It's the same dour message and it's embarrassing. Listening to SEN on the way to a mates house and they were all over the poor crowd, coming home tonight they were still discussing it and saying we should relocate to Geelong.

I am sorry to say, but the club is in serious trouble. The brand of football is mundane and the clubs ambition stinks. Happy to be the other team in Melbourne, in a city that wants ambition and leaders. Our club have none of this. Anyone defending the club really need to open their eyes.'

Overall it reads that everyone - the syndicate, the management, the employees, the players, even the other supporters who 'defend' the club - is at fault. Except, perhaps, yourself?

Myself and everyone that can see we are subpar.

Facts are facts. 4,505 people turned up. Embarrassing.

5,850 members. Viable?

Head in the sand stuff to think otherwise. Now you can either ignore this or want to try and help the club do things to improve.

I want a club to support for the rest of my life, not just the next 7 years.

Why is it that we are seemingly the only club that really gets put under pressure when we do badly with crowds? That bad Wanderers crowd won't even get a mention anywhere else. Adelaide United also get subpar crowds for a successful team, and being the only club in Adelaide.

For one it's wanderers firsty year, Secondly adelaide do pull decent crowds. The only reason why Heart are under pressure for crowds is because Heart need good crowds if they are too stay financially viable. At this rate it isn't looking good for heart.

For one it's wanderers firsty year, Secondly adelaide do pull decent crowds. The only reason why Heart are under pressure for crowds is because Heart need good crowds if they are too stay financially viable. At this rate it isn't looking good for heart.

I suppose, but it is just frustrating haha, we do have the potential to get decent crowds, but we actually need to start winning and playing well, at this rate I would be happy with 8-9k each game, but if something like that is to be done, we need to get results.

They should cop similar to what we are coping. They won't though, because our crowd was beyond poor.

I will state, we got in the 4000's they got in the 6,000's.

We deserve the critics we will get after this week. We are also in our third year, and should show more improvement. The worry for me is my club not WSW who I couldn't care less about.

Give us your ten step plan to increase crowds, lets see which ones we haven't done before.

It's easy to criticise from the comfort of your computer, while some of us go out of our way to put in effort and create change.

Alright, this is coming from a Heart fan who lives outside the country.

1. I've seen complainants about our club not having enough staff to deal with all the workload or that our employees are new to the country and the market. Tight budget? Internships. Get students from La Trobe, Melbourne Uni etc. From what I remember, there are 9 universities in Melbourne. I'm pretty sure they could use some internship programs. We could get these students to help with marketing, web design, art work, etc. They might even end up supporting us.

2.Get a smaller stadium. You have no idea how depressing it is to see the stadium empty. 30,050 places. That's how big our stadium is. We average what? 6-7k cowards? It's depressing to see such a large portion of the stadium empty, and trust me, when you watch it online, you can see how empty it is and it makes you want to cry. Get a stadium that can fit 15-20k people for the 2013-2014 season. This is way we can actual make our home ground a fortress. The most important thing about home games is the fact that the fans can help so much. Imagine 10k fans singing. Everywhere the opposition will look they'll feel surrounded and we'll also pump up our boys. Don't forget, ambition is what most of them lack, and a good atmosphere can offer them that.

3. We want to focus on a youth policy? Very well, get that going. Create a shuttle team in the VPL and use our youngsters there. Organize football tournament for kids and recruit the best players and invite them to train with the VPL team A-League team. Also, make a special contract with the AIS to get their top recruits, send our players there for recovery and training, seminars etc.

4. Get rid of all the deadwood in the team. There is no time for playing favorites. We need to get young blood into the team and get rid of players that are too old or not living up to the standard. If players still want to remain in Australia and are old ( for example Fred) you can offer them positions inside the clubs coaching team for the youth or VPL side.

5. Get the team on YouTube. Get highlights of the games on YouTube. Get interviews, at the end of the season make season highlights, pictures of the fans singing, etc.

6. Help fans, organize transportation for away games and even transportation for home games for people who have problem attending.

7. Don't spend the pre-season on holiday or training's wasting time. Invite teams to Melbourne and organize tournaments to practice against real teams, visit real teams in other countries. Don't play against VPL kids and old men.

8. Show a bond between the fans and the club management. Weekly interviews or podcasts with players? What if we had players talking about games, taking funny tests, singing? Hell, even organize parties and invite the fans to meet the players.

9. Make merchandise available, posters, stickers, cups etc. Don't have to make them. Just make them available and take in orders.

10. Organize better stadium seating. Another mentioned a seating system we can use in another thread, take a look at it.

• Like 1

Adelaide averaged a crowd of 8,867 for their first 4 home games. We averaged 7,463.

Adelaide are a 1 club town. We are neighbours to the A-leagues most supported club.

Adelaide are an established club, who have been around since the league's beginning. We are in our 3rd season.

Don't start writing us off yet.

• Like 1

5. Get the team on YouTube. Get highlights of the games on YouTube. Get interviews, at the end of the season make season highlights, pictures of the fans singing, etc.

Melbourne Heart have a youtube channel. 289 subscribers. Do people even know about it? Get someone to put videos up weekly.

The content has drastically reduced this year.

Content this year includes Melbourne heart matches in pictures. Averages less than 100 views..

Last year the content included.. Access All Areas.. most videos having 400-600 views with certain matches having thousands of views. Giving us supporters an insight into what happens behind the doors on matchday.

Had interviews with players.. 'Kalmar's corner' getting hundreds of views each video.

Disappointed that this part of the fan engagement has dropped off. I thought it showed something to fans that we normally don't get to see. Interviews with players about their personal lives so we can better connect with them. Poor effort.

• Like 2

Melbourne Heart have a youtube channel. 289 subscribers. Do people even know about it? Get someone to put videos up weekly.

Content this year includes Melbourne heart matches in pictures. Averages less than 100 views..

Last year the content included.. Access All Areas.. most videos having 400-600 views with certain matches having thousands of views. Giving us supporters an insight into what happens behind the doors on matchday.

Had interviews with players.. 'Kalmar's corner' getting hundreds of views each video.

Disappointed that this part of the fan engagement has dropped off. I thought it showed something to fans that we normally don't get to see. Interviews with players about their personal lives so we can better connect with them. Poor effort.

Very well said. I suggest the fan engagement has been totally lost this season.

I know they do. But as you said they don't use it.

2.Get a smaller stadium. You have no idea how depressing it is to see the stadium empty. 30,050 places. That's how big our stadium is. We average what? 6-7k cowards? It's depressing to see such a large portion of the stadium empty, and trust me, when you watch it online, you can see how empty it is and it makes you want to cry. Get a stadium that can fit 15-20k people for the 2013-2014 season. This is way we can actual make our home ground a fortress. The most important thing about home games is the fact that the fans can help so much. Imagine 10k fans singing. Everywhere the opposition will look they'll feel surrounded and we'll also pump up our boys. Don't forget, ambition is what most of them lack, and a good atmosphere can offer them that.

The problem with this is that Melbourne (and most of Australia, except the northern states because of rugby) have so little in the way of rectangular stadia, I agree with the thought, but the grounds just aren't there to implement it. The only other ones I can think of are South Melbournes ground (But that has a running track around it, and would be a pain in the ass for some to get to, like me for example who lives in Bacchus Marsh), the others are VPL grounds which are either too small even for us and have poor facilities (In fact, most are both).

The problem with this is that Melbourne (and most of Australia, except the northern states because of rugby) have so little in the way of rectangular stadia, I agree with the thought, but the grounds just aren't there to implement it. The only other ones I can think of are South Melbournes ground (But that has a running track around it, and would be a pain in the ass for some to get to, like me for example who lives in Bacchus Marsh), the others are VPL grounds which are either too small even for us and have poor facilities (In fact, most are both).

Well that's a pity, what about the VIS how are their grounds? Could we consider gaining our own stadium?

Well that's a pity, what about the VIS how are their grounds? Could we consider gaining our own stadium?

It is, because having a smaller stadium would add to matchday atmosphere and the like. I do not think the VIS grounds would be up to par to host A-League games, but I could be wrong. The problem with that is cost, the club doesn't have the money to make that kind of investment.

I am not saying that we should play there or anything, but when I went to the Melbourne Show, I was dragged into the stadium area against my will, and whilst sitting there I couldn't help but think to myself how much better the atmosphere at a Heart game would be in a little 'boutique' stadium.

Where? With what money?

You keep asking me questions, but I'm not from Melbourne, I haven't even been in Australia yet but I'm trying to offer help. You talk about the lack of money that our club has.But 1)the FFA is known to have helped clubs before and I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping out again. 2) Considering Australia wanted to bid for world cups you would need more then a few stadiums to host it, I'm sure the government would lend a hand. 3) Getting rid of Fred and Colosimo would free up a nice chunk of money. Considering they're both starting to let us down. If we replace many of the old players that are not longer useful and are on high paychecks with younger players who can play for a smaller sum of money, that's even more money saved up. 4) Sponsors would love to have their name on stadiums. Offering them advertisement rights, for example naming rights of the stadium, the advertisements at the side, advertisements inside and outside the stadium?

Honestly if you want a stadium that is as easy to get to as AAMI Park you'd be looking at at least $100 million.

:droy:

Sorry, wasn't aware of that. I'm a foreign supporter, was just trying to help.But if we really want progress, we can't be scared of spending money. Wouldn't the government chip in?

How's this for an idea. Glenferrie Oval is owned by the City of Boroondara and Hawthorn moved out long ago. HeartFC with FFA and Vic state government add money to create a 10k stadium which is within easy reach of the CBD and has a train station next door. The old stands adds lots of atmosphere and with a couple of cheaper areas including standing room would create an excellent little venue. Close to pubs and shops.

Edited by HEARTinator

Sorry, wasn't aware of that. I'm a foreign supporter, was just trying to help.But if we really want progress, we can't be scared of spending money. Wouldn't the government chip in?

The government just spent millions on a brand new stadium for football in a prime location, they wouldn't see the need to build another one, just because we can't draw crowds.

How's this for an idea. Glenferrie Oval is owned by the City of Boroondara and Hawthorn moved out long ago. HeartFC with FFA and Vic state government add money to create a 10k stadium which is within easy reach of the CBD and has a train station next door. The old stands adds lots of atmosphere and with a couple of cheaper areas including standing room would create an excellent little venue. Close to pubs and shops.

Thank you for the help. Someone who actually is trying to come up with solutions.

Not sure if serious.

The government just spent millions on a brand new stadium for football in a prime location, they wouldn't see the need to build another one, just because we can't draw crowds.

What about the fact that FIFA choose Qatar over Australia? Surely that didn't go down to well with them. If they want the world cup bid, you need stadiums,many different sizes and locations.

What about Westpac Arena? Westpac make $6 billion profit p.a, I wonder if they are keen. In the location is an inbuilt Westpac Branch with conference rooms and offices for staff they can use for business. Vic Market site or E-gate would be massive opportunities for their company also.

I wonder if they would be keen to help chip in for a boutique 20,000 seat stadium, Red and White throughout, their signage, also helping us keep the relationship going for a long, long time.

What about Westpac Arena? Westpac make $6 billion profit p.a, I wonder if they are keen. In the location is an inbuilt Westpac Branch with conference rooms and offices for staff they can use for business. Vic Market site or E-gate would be massive opportunities for their company also.

I wonder if they would be keen to help chip in for a boutique 20,000 seat stadium, Red and White throughout, their signage, also helping us keep the relationship going for a long, long time.

Another great location. Would find us a long term rich sponsor.

Not sure if serious.

Deadset serious. If you've been past Glenferrie you'll see it's conveniently located and the eastern area could be a great base for Heart. Unlike LaTrobe which is pretty much nowhere and difficult to get to (but obviously a cheap location). We need to establish a geographic presence closer to town. The FFA have bent over backwards to establish WSW and bankrolled the club. Well about time we sought some assistance. MV were given a 5 year head start on us and they soaked up the initial wave of supporters. We've got it harder but not impossible. We should get some support from FFA.

Edited by HEARTinator

I agree that this is an idea worth pursuing. It was brought up previously. It is not necessary to spend megabucks on the actual stadium - a number of clubs in Scotland have new stadiums that are essentially off-the-shelf, almost kit built. The company that specialises in these stadiums is called Barr Construction - http://www.barr-construction.co.uk/projects-and-case-studies/stadium-design-and-construction/

The problem with stadiums is usually two-fold. First the cost of land. Second is NIMBY. I suspect that the latter would kill the idea of Glenferrie as a 'soccer' ground. There are other issues of course, including transport, but this is well catered for at Glenferrie.

I would assume that the syndicate does consider these things. In previous discussions it's generally been agreed that our own stadium is a long way off, if it ever could be achieved.

I agree that this is an idea worth pursuing. It was brought up previously. It is not necessary to spend megabucks on the actual stadium - a number of clubs in Scotland have new stadiums that are essentially off-the-shelf, almost kit built. The company that specialises in these stadiums is called Barr Construction - http://www.barr-cons...d-construction/

The problem with stadiums is usually two-fold. First the cost of land. Second is NIMBY. I suspect that the latter would kill the idea of Glenferrie as a 'soccer' ground. There are other issues of course, including transport, but this is well catered for at Glenferrie.

I would assume that the syndicate does consider these things. In previous discussions it's generally been agreed that our own stadium is a long way off, if it ever could be achieved.

Pitch could be made to fit though. The smallest AFL pitch 149m x 136m, while the largest football pitch by FIFA rules is 110m x 75 meters. In the free space, more seats, benches, commentator boxes could be added.

What's the difference between this and AAMI park with the top level closed?

We have enough supporters around, we just need them to turn up to games rather than watching on TV.

We need to make attending Heart games a part of Melbournes sporting culture.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic