Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

Considering our recent form, 5,466 in that weather was a good turnout IMO. People are beginning to get behind the Heart.

This. After 2 years in a city that already has a team, we have a base of 5-6k that will come despite bad weather and terrible form. Get some decent performances going and this club can be a success.

I've just joined up this year, although have followed the Heart from inception. I see steady improvement with attendances and following but going back (I'm sure this was discussed) there was a massive opportunity screwed up in the Wellington match. Facing weakend opposition we should have come at them from the start and never let them settle but instead we played some truley terrible and boring football.

I was unable to make it tonight because of work but was watching on tv, we looked completely different to the team that went up against the Pheonix and Mariners, if we can start to back performances like tonight up our crowds will continue to build.

Edited by New2Heart

Now that I've basked in the glow of that win for a while it's time to get real. A crowd of 5.5k is nowhere near acceptable for a team that's been arguably the best team in a city of four million for three years now. We should be regularly getting crowds of 8-10k by now and there's no way we can keep on going with crowds like this.

However performances like tonight help.

Edited by Jimmy

Fuck off with all the excuses. We shouldn't be worrying about the fucking NBL. Next we'll see "oh but roller derby was on".

Yes it was raining. So? There's plenty of under cover seating.

Yes our home form is poor. So? If you don't get to games in the bad times as well as the bad why do you support the club?

I hate talking about crowd figures , especially after a cracking win.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned but why can't they open one of the top tiers of the stadium so that people who just want a general admission and are casual supporters can actually get a decent view of the game if they want rather than having to sit behind the goals..

Need to come up with cheaper ticketing options that encourage people to give it a go and have a good experience..

Not sure if this has been mentioned but why can't they open one of the top tiers of the stadium so that people who just want a general admission and are casual supporters can actually get a decent view of the game if they want rather than having to sit behind the goals..

Need to come up with cheaper ticketing options that encourage people to give it a go and have a good experience..

The club has to pay a higher rental (more staff required) to open the upper levels. It would be great to be in a position where this was possible without being financial suicide. If we keep playing and winning like we have against Roar then it may be possible.

Now that I've basked in the glow of that win for a while it's time yo get real. A crowd of 5.5k is nowhere near acceptable for a team that's been arguably the best team in a city of four million for three years now. We should be regularly getting crowds of 8-10k by now and there's no way we can keep on going with crowds like this.

However performances like tonight help.

we are the best team in the city but you'd never know it if you'd turned up the matches at AAMI Park that didn't involve MV. Our home record has been so consistently poor that it's had a significant impact on crowd growth.

I'm a casual supporter and I don't give a fuck about my view of the game.

#logic

Yeah I can tell you don't get a good view of the games, you were the one that started the sack Tadic and Gerhardt threads after all.. There can't be much football watching if you are coming to those conclusions. :P

But for people who aren't in the 'active' support and want to come to the game to watch good football, sitting behind the goals isn't satisfying and there is a big increase in price for B reserve..

I get the financial constraints but I wonder if we would draw bigger crowds.. Dunno, just a thought..

Down the other end of the stadium there was a little bit of singing. "We are Melbourne" or whatever it's name is was being chanted, a fuck off Brisbane was chanted a couple of times and the stand up for your heart chant was sung most corners. I rarely sit down that end but it was the most active I've ever seen it.

The attendance is a major issue and something that needs to be identified and fixed. No excuses for a poor showing like that.

We are in year 3 now, have made the finals, have had stars and developed some youngsters, we are known now, but for whatever reason, we do not have enough numbers. I don't want to be a small minded club. There are 4,137,000 people in Melbourne (stats from http://www.dpcd.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/99348/Vic-Pop-Bulletin-2012-FINAL.pdf as of June 2011).

I want to be the biggest, most supported club in not only Australia, but in Asia. I sometimes feel the people at our club due to limits placed on them, have limited their minds and ability to attract. We keep comparing ourselves and downplaying our measurement to Victory. Do Victory have all those 4 million people supporting them? Of course not. So what is stopping us reaching a massive target that surpasses Victory, but not only that, gets us to a new level. We are fortunate to have Melbourne as our name. Best city in the world. Sporting capital and all that. This club needs to expand itself. Nothing is impossible.

• Like 1

The attendance is a major issue and something that needs to be identified and fixed. No excuses for a poor showing like that.

We are in year 3 now, have made the finals, have had stars and developed some youngsters, we are known now, but for whatever reason, we do not have enough numbers. I don't want to be a small minded club. There are 4,137,000 people in Melbourne (stats from http://www.dpcd.vic....-2012-FINAL.pdf as of June 2011).

I want to be the biggest, most supported club in not only Australia, but in Asia. I sometimes feel the people at our club due to limits placed on them, have limited their minds and ability to attract. We keep comparing ourselves and downplaying our measurement to Victory. Do Victory have all those 4 million people supporting them? Of course not. So what is stopping us reaching a massive target that surpasses Victory, but not only that, gets us to a new level. We are fortunate to have Melbourne as our name. Best city in the world. Sporting capital and all that. This club needs to expand itself. Nothing is impossible.

i agree but money budget this year mate.

i agree but money budget this year mate.

That will be our excuse every year then mate. Without the growth in numbers, budget will always be small. Therein being a small club.

We can achieve targets that are sustainable and reachable without a huge amount of money. Our club (the people employed) have failed. I think their marketing and promotion of the club is small minded. Action needs to be had before it is too late.

I am new to the a league and opted for heart. I would like to make it down to a few games, few things that put me off a bit. Getting to the stadium, lack of interest from mates, lack of attendances and atmosphere. Now the good thing is myki costs $3 apparantey on weekends so that makes getting to the game more appealing as it can be a nice trip to the game. My brother in law appears to be s heart fan too, so we might head down to a few games. I would be tempted if the club release s cheap 5 game membership. The lack of atmosphere isnt going to rectify itself, people must attend and id be happy to contribute.

I know i will most likely go to the derby and sydney games, as mates will be keen, but its your perth glorys, wellingtons etc i will struggle to make.

I am new to the a league and opted for heart. I would like to make it down to a few games, few things that put me off a bit. Getting to the stadium, lack of interest from mates, lack of attendances and atmosphere. Now the good thing is myki costs $3 apparantey on weekends so that makes getting to the game more appealing as it can be a nice trip to the game. My brother in law appears to be s heart fan too, so we might head down to a few games. I would be tempted if the club release s cheap 5 game membership. The lack of atmosphere isnt going to rectify itself, people must attend and id be happy to contribute.

I know i will most likely go to the derby and sydney games, as mates will be keen, but its your perth glorys, wellingtons etc i will struggle to make.

You're actually in a very important market that the club should be targeting. Casual fans who already have an interest in heart and consider going to games. These people are who we should be going after, trying to turn them into fanatics. It's a lot easier to do that than to convince people who have no interest in the league to get down to a game. A great match day experience and consistent home form is what will get these people coming back.

• Like 3

You're actually in a very important market that the club should be targeting. Casual fans who already have an interest in heart and consider going to games. These people are who we should be going after, trying to turn them into fanatics. It's a lot easier to do that than to convince people who have no interest in the league to get down to a game. A great match day experience and consistent home form is what will get these people coming back.

Yeah pretty much, have a blast amongst the fans and some promising performances and you can hook them in.

Buy a membership lad. That result mustve got you pretty pumped.

I will seriously consider a 5 game membership if they offer it, i just need my bro in law to agree to it aswell. If not then hopefully get membership for next season from the get go. Would love to do an away game aswell.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mate, you know what it is; we have probably 100's of people who thing the same as you. Lack of atmosphere, watched MH play shit while they attended, weather was shocking.... the thing is if all those people couldn't care less about those factors and had the mentality tomorrow will be a better day we would have mny more members. I bought my dad a membership whether he liked it or not. And I force him to games even though the poor guy works his butt off during the week and cbf going anywhere on weekends. Just make an effort my friend and convince othes to come :)

In reference to blokes considering buying memberships, it is is $20 a month for a GA membership. There are plenty of times that I cannot make matches but at least I know that the club is still getting their money from me through my membership.

$20 a month, it is so ridiculously affordable!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Realfootball said | December 9th 2012 @ 12:11pm | Report comment

At some point there is going to have to be a discussion about Heart’s crowds and the club’s viability. 4,500 puts the club now firmly in Gold Coast territory.

For whatever reason, it isn’t working for Melbourne Heart, and we need the discussion now, because the club will fold if these attendances continue:

- playing culture

- lack of geographical differentiation

- community connection

With hindsight, the decision to play out of AAMI Park looks to be a serious misjudgement. The branding has also been a failure. There has been no clear differentiation from Victory, no clear point of difference, and appointing Aloisi, with his kick and rush long ball game, has been a marked backward step in this regard.

Scottt Munn must be a worried man right now.

Realfootball said | December 9th 2012 @ 12:11pm | Report comment

At some point there is going to have to be a discussion about Heart’s crowds and the club’s viability. 4,500 puts the club now firmly in Gold Coast territory.

For whatever reason, it isn’t working for Melbourne Heart, and we need the discussion now, because the club will fold if these attendances continue:

- playing culture

- lack of geographical differentiation

- community connection

With hindsight, the decision to play out of AAMI Park looks to be a serious misjudgement. The branding has also been a failure. There has been no clear differentiation from Victory, no clear point of difference, and appointing Aloisi, with his kick and rush long ball game, has been a marked backward step in this regard.

Scottt Munn must be a worried man right now.

This is one of the few examples of what people think of us on sporting websites and blogs. We need a change. We should act like a brand new club in a normal footballing League. We need to start off with a small stadium of 15-20k.

maybe if we change our name to something better we can get more people?

That would hurt us even more. It's not about the name, it's the fact that the club expected everything to go as planned with very little effort, realized that's not the case and simply gave up.

This is one of the few examples of what people think of us on sporting websites and blogs. We need a change. We should act like a brand new club in a normal footballing League. We need to start off with a small stadium of 15-20k.

maybe if we change our name to something better we can get more people?

This is all kite-flying, based on assumptions and with no supporting evidence. As I've said elsewhere, let the club's owners worry about attendances, finances and the viability of the club. The club is privately owned, and if attendances are of concern to the owners, then they will do something to address the situation.

At the present time there is no viable alternative to AAMI Park.

Rebranding the club, or moving it to Woop Woop, is just starting all over again, with even less likelihood of success than now.

Everyone has a right to express their opinion. I respect that. But how about so-called supporters talking up the club rather than talking it down? We've just beaten Perth, one of our nemesis clubs, with three of our first-team players on international duty. Three of our young players - Golgol, J. Walker and Mitchinson had great home debuts. Maybe that's what we should be talking about?

• jw1739 unpinned this topic