Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

On 09/01/2016 at 2:13 PM, possiblygeorge said:

They've been told to be scared of us Sokkah hooligan terrorists

So true! Get a bit over asking if people want to come along. First thing they ask is "how many flares are we letting off or have we got" and the second would be "is it a bit violent between the supporters" 

If this is public perception then it's going to be hard to get new people along. 

5 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

So true! Get a bit over asking if people want to come along. First thing they ask is "how many flares are we letting off or have we got" and the second would be "is it a bit violent between the supporters" 

If this is public perception then it's going to be hard to get new people along. 

They'd rather go wait until the Footy season starts to watch a season full of bs off-field drama's. I remember when AFL was my favourite league. Right behind Premier League/A-league, my local Aussie Rules league, and then there's AFL.

26 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

They'd rather go wait until the Footy season starts to watch a season full of bs off-field drama's. I remember when AFL was my favourite league. Right behind Premier League/A-league, my local Aussie Rules league, and then there's AFL.

Last year I found myself not even watching a full game and in no rush to get home to watch it either. So much off field shit!

If it wasn't for the pro-AFL media, AFL would be pulling less than 20k per game. Interesting point, 72% of football supporters are under 40 years old in comparison to 56% of AFL fans are under 40. I sure don't see ganny's at football matches with their pom-poms as l see at AFL games. Also, these figures tell you what the future general public of Australia prefer.

Will probably end up bring half a dozen or so, everyone wants to see Mooy put on a show. Also noticed at the start of games the aami park staff don't particularly monitor the bays on the wings that well, been able to sneak in a couple of times onto the upper deck areas of level 1

On 12 January 2016 at 9:32 PM, Tony999 said:

If it wasn't for the pro-AFL media, AFL would be pulling less than 20k per game. Interesting point, 72% of football supporters are under 40 years old in comparison to 56% of AFL fans are under 40. I sure don't see ganny's at football matches with their pom-poms as l see at AFL games. Also, these figures tell you what the future general public of Australia prefer.

To me, those figures show its AFL as it's pulling from across the Australian population and has a bigger pool of potential attendees. 

looked like much more than a little less than 11k, prem b left of city bench where i am was more packed too, not sure if they just snuck in or if they've signed up but definitely more families around with kids in this seasons jerseys which is a good thing, was a happy family on the tram back saying they loved it (2nd game) and child saying he likes it more than footy and can't wait for the next game

4 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

looked like much more than a little less than 11k, prem b left of city bench where i am was more packed too, not sure if they just snuck in or if they've signed up but definitely more families around with kids in this seasons jerseys which is a good thing, was a happy family on the tram back saying they loved it (2nd game) and child saying he likes it more than footy and can't wait for the next game

Thrillhouse, was the official attendance for just the customers that paid, excluding the free tickets for kids? Maybe that is why it looked more.

Most likely it did include the freebies but if this game was played on the weekend without freebies it would've attracted the same crowd. Weekday games makes it so hard for people who do not work in the city let alone the guys that work and live further out. Regardless, a solid crowd and it can only build from here.

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

Thrillhouse, was the official attendance for just the customers that paid, excluding the free tickets for kids? Maybe that is why it looked more.

It's not tickets sold or given free that count, it's those that are scanned on the way in. Therefore the attendance equals the number of people who used their ticket (membership card + match + free match) to enter the ground. The only group that I'm not sure about are those who go into corporate boxes.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It's not tickets sold or given free that count, it's those that are scanned on the way in. Therefore the attendance equals the number of people who used their ticket (membership card + match + free match) to enter the ground. The only group that I'm not sure about are those who go into corporate boxes.

Corporate boxes attendees still need to go through turnstiles.

Now that crowd numbers are building it would be great if most of them could get a little more involved in the match atmosphere. Not expecting whole stadium to turn active however when we playing great and controlling the game with our best strikers scoring for fun, why is it so hard for the north end to get up to "stand up if you love city"chant????

30 seconds upright too taxing on the legs???

• Like 1

Why is it so hard to understand that some people have no interest in creating some sort of artificial atmosphere and are solely interested in watching football?  Were they interested in doing so, they would probably have gotten active support tickets.

Not everybody feels as you do.  Don't consider it an insult to your efforts, but don't expect others to change how they enjoy a match to increase your enjoyment.

18 minutes ago, Moraiwe said:

Why is it so hard to understand that some people have no interest in creating some sort of artificial atmosphere and are solely interested in watching football?  Were they interested in doing so, they would probably have gotten active support tickets.

Not everybody feels as you do.  Don't consider it an insult to your efforts, but don't expect others to change how they enjoy a match to increase your enjoyment.

Could I add to that - I'm on the Western Wing, just the other side of half-way from the active supporters - and I can make out only the simplest and loudest of the chants. The rest of the time I can hear the noise, but not the chant itself. There was one chant last night that I don't remember hearing before; bloody good but no-one could pick up the words. Simple things - such as "Come on City" - will catch on eventually, but I don't think the others ever will TBH. Also bear in mind the acoustics of the stadium; if the chant or song is too fast then it won't be picked up around the ground.

1 hour ago, Jestr said:

Now that crowd numbers are building it would be great if most of them could get a little more involved in the match atmosphere. Not expecting whole stadium to turn active however when we playing great and controlling the game with our best strikers scoring for fun, why is it so hard for the north end to get up to "stand up if you love city"chant????

should be done for all our corners 

37 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Speaking of simple chants (I know that there's a specific forum for this) but I'd really prefer "Come on Melbourne"to "Come on City", it sounds too much like "Come on Sydney". It also remind people that WE are Melbourne, the visiting team is called Victory

We're more city than we are Melbourne though.

1 hour ago, Moraiwe said:

I'm not insulted I just find it funny that you think I won't enjoy the game because GA section doesn't feel like getting 1% involved to help players  

You are not doing it for me.

If you did you'll be doing it for the 11 guys on the pitch to show how much you appreciate their efforts. 

I guess that's why players come up to south end to thank the vocal supporters after the game, it's pretty obvious they appreciate crowd encouraging them on. 

19 minutes ago, Jestr said:

I guess that's why players come up to south end to thank the vocal supporters after the game, it's pretty obvious they appreciate crowd encouraging them on. 

Perhaps some acknowledgment of the other 8,000 supporters at the match wouldn't go astray?

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone went to watch Iran play during the Asian cup, but during the game they had a few drummers around the stadium that would go into every bay and get the crowd going all together.  Just something a little outside the box and worth a thought. This would probably require a good level of coordination though which I'm not sure we'd be able to pull off at this stage. 

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Don't know if anyone went to watch Iran play during the Asian cup, but during the game they had a few drummers around the stadium that would go into every bay and get the crowd going all together.  Just something a little outside the box and worth a thought. This would probably require a good level of coordination though which I'm not sure we'd be able to pull off at this stage. 

Looks like you have full support of north end

s6wPJjU.gif

6 hours ago, Jestr said:

What annoys me being in the south end is standing up 4-5 times in the space of 15 minutes and then sitting down straight away because the ole ole chant doesn't work anymore.

I think call to "stand up" needs to be really well timed based on the dynamic of the game to achieve crowd buy in.  When it is overdone it seems to have a negative affect on the buzz of the crowd as it fizzles out ... 

Another option would be to do it at a set time each and every game, at a particular minute that has some historical context

• Like 2

Just now, Torn Asunder said:

Another option would be to do it at a set time each and every game, at a particular minute that has some historical context

Spot on. Until some sort of organisation happens at this level the standard of active support will always be up and down depending on the context of the game.  

7 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

I think call to "stand up" needs to be really well timed based on the dynamic of the game to achieve crowd buy in.  When it is overdone it seems to have a negative affect on the buzz of the crowd as it fizzles out ... 

This. It is really effective when done in tense matches bringing the team home (eg in the Christmas derby). Against Wellington with the game in the bag it fizzled and was actually painful to watch.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic