Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The numbers for City and Victory are distorted by the number of home derbies played in any particular season - either 1 or 2. This season we have 2 home derbies, and our "average" for the season is therefore elevated over last season.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The numbers for City and Victory are distorted by the number of home derbies played in any particular season - either 1 or 2. This season we have 2 home derbies, and our "average" for the season is therefore elevated over last season.

They are comparing it to our previous all time high (which one would assume was a 2 home derby season) therefore our figures aren't distorted in that perspective. They will be distorted ,however, by the fact that the remainder of our season games are non derbies that will all reduce our average as it is unlikely they will be above season to date average. I suspect they average attendance this season will normalise down to a similar level as to that of the comparative in the table.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, malloy said:

They are comparing it to our previous all time high (which one would assume was a 2 home derby season) therefore our figures aren't distorted in that perspective. They will be distorted ,however, by the fact that the remainder of our season games are non derbies that will all reduce our average as it is unlikely they will be above season to date average. I suspect they average attendance this season will normalise down to a similar level as to that of the comparative in the table.

According to Ultimate a-league our average crowd last year with only one home derby was 10,528. This year with our two home derbies we are currently standing at an average of 10,116 and this average should drop over the last non derby home games. So we are NOT tracking very well at all.

But then neither is any other team. Only Newcastle significantly and Adelaide by a small amount have increased their average attendance over last year.

31 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

According to Ultimate a-league our average crowd last year with only one home derby was 10,528. This year with our two home derbies we are currently standing at an average of 10,116 and this average should drop over the last non derby home games. So we are NOT tracking very well at all.

But then neither is any other team. Only Newcastle significantly and Adelaide by a small amount have increased their average attendance over last year.

Would have been great to been apart of the crowd for the Newy vs Sydney game. Great atmosphere 

I've gone though my spreadsheet again. If we include all regular league home matches including derbies and regional matches but exclude finals, we've played 108 matches averaging 9,962. This season so far is 10,304. I'm not quite sure why my long-term average crowd differs from the one quoted, but yes, our average this season is above the long-term number. But I don't see that that means anything.

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I've gone though my spreadsheet again. If we include all regular league home matches including derbies and regional matches but exclude finals, we've played 108 matches averaging 9,962. This season so far is 10,304. I'm not quite sure why my long-term average crowd differs from the one quoted, but yes, our average this season is above the long-term number. But I don't see that that means anything.

I took the all time crowd average to be our all time high. But you are probably correct in that it is inception to date (or inception to end of previous season) average.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Excitement?

lol, like watching the 3 best players in the country shred teams to pieces isn't enough excitement.

Give me Sydney's season and I'd be over the moon. Some people will just never be pleased either way.

• Like 4

The FFA need to take full responsibility for the failings of the game and of the A-league, this season.

Inept, gutless, self preserving management of a game they are out of touch with, and a game that is not the AFL or NRL.

The game has always been on the back foot with these clowns, who once again have put all their eggs into one basket (the WC), whilst keeping their tails firmly beneath their legs, in dire fear that someone is going to kick them in the nuts.

It goes back to the TV deal.  They needed to get more genuine star power into the league.  Not through rubbish salary cap conditions and a set of restrictions that are counter intuitive to the business of running a profitable league and clubs, but by allowing the clubs / owners run the league so that they can make a profit. And also, by getting better free to air coverage.  There are so many bad decisions that happen all the time regarding every aspect of the game, through to match scheduling, international breaks, genuine promotion, embarrassing comp rules, shite refs, Wellington Phoenix ... the list goes on!

There are international rules in play for this world game.  There are heaps of people that love the game.  Get the foreign owners in, get the quality up, get some promotion happening (and relegation in a few years), make it more affordable and accessible, produce teams that are genuine star power AFC contenders, and then the fans will start coming back.

When the Socceroos get spanked in Russia, its going to be even tougher to build up some momentum for next season... the FFA must step back and let the clubs and the owners take charge for next season.

The game has so much potential ... it is so frustrating to watch it go backwards.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Embee said:

lol, like watching the 3 best players in the country shred teams to pieces isn't enough excitement.

Give me Sydney's season and I'd be over the moon. Some people will just never be pleased either way.

Do you really find the smurfs exciting to watch? There's something about the way that Arnold's teams always suffocate and strangle the life out of the game that just makes them hard to watch. there's no denying it's effectiveness but if effectiveness was all every fan wanted then their number would be up. Jet's have been equally effective (barring the last 4 games) but have also been exciting. Granted, they've come off a lower base as their numbers had dropped off but look at the increase in attendance

45 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Do you really find the smurfs exciting to watch? There's something about the way that Arnold's teams always suffocate and strangle the life out of the game that just makes them hard to watch. there's no denying it's effectiveness but if effectiveness was all every fan wanted then their number would be up. Jet's have been equally effective (barring the last 4 games) but have also been exciting. Granted, they've come off a lower base as their numbers had dropped off but look at the increase in attendance

I do. They were somewhat ponderous in the first half of last season but imo they've been quite good to watch this year, and increasingly so as their confidence grew. The Jets weren't 'equally effective' (even if they were on the whole) as evidenced by the table and points.

I'd argue that the Jets increase, whilst definitely largely influenced by results, is also boosted by the fact they've been shit for so long, and the factor of being a one team town. Their NRL club has also stunk in recent times so it's no surprise they've backed a winner when its finally turned up.

Sydney fans are obviously fickle, as is the case across most of their codes in that city. IMO the complete lack of promotion from FFA has played a role too, which i think is the main factor in lower attendances across the competition, followed by a staleness brought on from 5 seasons in a row of the same teams three (and even more in some cases) times a season.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3

Sydney are fantastic to watch most of the time. Their full backs join in the attack and provide quality supply to Bobo's head, their front 4 work together unbelievably well and their movement off the ball tears defences open. We've managed to play like that for a 3 or 4 game stretch at best in our history, Arnold has Sydney doing it week in, week out.

This season they scored 64 goals in 27 games, a whole 23 more than us. 

Arnold may be a whinger, but he is a superb coach who's a proven winner. If I were a Sydney supporter I'd try to get to every home game, you're nearly guaranteed good football. Something we've never had the fortune of.

• Like 1

Agree that the League has been an absolute fizzer this year. 

Victory would be really worried about their staggering fall in support. No, I do not care personally, but I want the league to be strong and I want 45,000 at derby games  at the footy stadium, and AAMI sold out for the same fixtures. The derbies are not what they used to be.

What I don't want is the A-League ending up like the Scottish Premier League where, say,  2 clubs rule the roost by virtue of their riches, and the rest are also-rans every season for decades (give or take aberrations such as Rangers' tax-enforced relegation to the bottom division, Aberdeen in the 1980s, etc...)

Even though, on paper, we would be one of those giants.

That's the one thing the current set-up must be admired for.  Even chances from the off for every club.

UNLESS.... EVERY A-League club got  foreign sugar daddys..... 

Edited by CityWildcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I do. They were somewhat ponderous in the first half of last season but imo they've been quite good to watch this year, and increasingly so as their confidence grew.

I'd argue that the Jets increase, whilst definitely largely influenced by results, is also boosted by the fact they've been shit for so long, and the factor of being a one team town. Their NRL club has also stunk in recent times so it's no surprise they've backed a winner when its finally turned up.

Sydney fans are obviously fickle, as is the case across most of their codes in that city. IMO the complete lack of promotion from FFA has played a role too, which i think is the main factor in lower attendances across the competition, followed by a staleness brought on from 5 seasons in a row of the same teams three (and even more in some cases) times a season.

I agree with all those other factors that you mention but if you look at past A League seasons, every dominant team has had an increase in attendances bar the smurfs

15 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I agree with all those other factors that you mention but if you look at past A League seasons, every dominant team has had an increase in attendances bar the smurfs

Exactly, just look at Newy this season 

19 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Look at Roar when they were dominant, the visit0rs, Adelaide...

Look at us when we were scoring goals every game with the holy trinity and broke (at the time) the total goals record........... oh wait :facepalm:

EDIT: Actually pretty sure our attendance was up 5%-10% that season

Edited by haz

27 minutes ago, haz said:

Look at us when we were scoring goals every game with the holy trinity and broke (at the time) the total goals record........... oh wait :facepalm:

EDIT: Actually pretty sure our attendance was up 5%-10% that season

I think that it's pretty simple, the team needs to play good football and win, not one without the other. That's not rocket science but it sets 2 clear goals for the team, not one

On 4/8/2018 at 9:56 AM, jw1739 said:

Average attendance for our non-derby league matches at AAMI Park in season 2017-18 is 7,963.

2010-11: 5,828.
2011-12: 6,472.
2012-13: 7,075.
2013-14: 7,255.
2014-15: 9,074.
2015-16: 8,779.
2016-17: 9,417.
2017-18: 7,963.

Might as well repeat the post I made only a few days ago. Pretty hard to draw a lot of conclusions from these numbers. When you look at the whole spreadsheet it's pretty clear that the only stand-out home league attendances we've had apart from the first seven seasons' home derbies (not this season - a marked drop in lack of interest, especially from Victory fans) were those when a real star player was on show - David Villa and Alessandro Del Piero.

IMO we don't have a real star player in the A-League this season, and the so-called marquees are a pretty ordinary bunch, and not particularly good in terms of a marketing focus.

Otherwise, IMO the reasons why the League remains as it is have been pretty well articulated by others above, particularly by @bt50 and @Torn Asunder. As far as City is concerned we have had our best-ever league finish but it's been pretty pedestrian football to watch much of the time, and we just didn't get it right with our visa/marquee positions.

On 17/04/2018 at 4:15 PM, belaguttman said:

@bt50 and @mus-28 have basically covered most of the points I would make about Sydney, but yes, I find them very entertaining to watch and I quite enjoy seeing players like Adrian, Bobo and Ninko tear sides apart. The Jets have not been equally effective in any metric. Sydney have more points, more goals for and less goals against, all of which they lead by double figures outside of goals for which they lead by 7. 

As BT mentioned, Sydney fans are fickle and and this is consistent through the other codes in the state.

Edited by Embee

On 17/04/2018 at 3:42 PM, Torn Asunder said:

The FFA need to take full responsibility for the failings of the game and of the A-league, this season.

Inept, gutless, self preserving management of a game they are out of touch with, and a game that is not the AFL or NRL.

The game has always been on the back foot with these clowns, who once again have put all their eggs into one basket (the WC), whilst keeping their tails firmly beneath their legs, in dire fear that someone is going to kick them in the nuts.

It goes back to the TV deal.  They needed to get more genuine star power into the league.  Not through rubbish salary cap conditions and a set of restrictions that are counter intuitive to the business of running a profitable league and clubs, but by allowing the clubs / owners run the league so that they can make a profit. And also, by getting better free to air coverage.  There are so many bad decisions that happen all the time regarding every aspect of the game, through to match scheduling, international breaks, genuine promotion, embarrassing comp rules, shite refs, Wellington Phoenix ... the list goes on!

There are international rules in play for this world game.  There are heaps of people that love the game.  Get the foreign owners in, get the quality up, get some promotion happening (and relegation in a few years), make it more affordable and accessible, produce teams that are genuine star power AFC contenders, and then the fans will start coming back.

When the Socceroos get spanked in Russia, its going to be even tougher to build up some momentum for next season... the FFA must step back and let the clubs and the owners take charge for next season.

The game has so much potential ... it is so frustrating to watch it go backwards.

And yet Gallop gets his contract renewed.

in my view the number one problem with the attendances this year is the leagues decision to place infighting above promoting the game.

If Gallop and Lowy had integrity they’d resign for compromise candidates.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

And yet Gallop gets his contract renewed.

in my view the number one problem with the attendances this year is the leagues decision to place infighting above promoting the game.

If Gallop and Lowy had integrity they’d resign for compromise candidates.

You and CFG. https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/city-bosses-disappointed-by-a-league-489384/page0

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, jw1739 said:

Might as well repeat the post I made only a few days ago. Pretty hard to draw a lot of conclusions from these numbers. When you look at the whole spreadsheet it's pretty clear that the only stand-out home league attendances we've had apart from the first seven seasons' home derbies (not this season - a marked drop in lack of interest, especially from Victory fans) were those when a real star player was on show - David Villa and Alessandro Del Piero.

IMO we don't have a real star player in the A-League this season, and the so-called marquees are a pretty ordinary bunch, and not particularly good in terms of a marketing focus.

Otherwise, IMO the reasons why the League remains as it is have been pretty well articulated by others above, particularly by @bt50 and @Torn Asunder. As far as City is concerned we have had our best-ever league finish but it's been pretty pedestrian football to watch much of the time, and we just didn't get it right with our visa/marquee positions.

Its poor and needs to lift but how do we lift home crowds ? sad to see so little people at home games really is.

• 4 months later...
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic