Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

Wow, so much doom and gloom. we have had 2 home games and crowds so far this year are better than last year and the year before that.

Don't read to much into it yet.

If heart keep going they will continue to grow , even if it is at a the slow rate of 1000 increase in avg attendance per year .

What you guys aren't seeing is the massive amount of support being generated by heart in the kids.

I have a lot to do with kids from 20+ clubs and you see that most of the kids are following the heart due to the community ground work the club is doing.

Not many of these kids are coming to games yet - but the support is there and soon enough 1 by 1 and there parents start showing up.

Ive already seen it starting to happen

There is no magic bullet that will make us instantly popular, but i think we are still headed in the right direction..

• Like 1

If there is a substantial amount of money that is going to flow to all clubs, does spending that on a marquee best benefit Heart?

Personally, no. Think about the internationals we have signed over our 3 seasons: Fred - Tadic - Gerhardt - Germano - Gray - Terra - Sibon - Worm - Maycon. Many were touted to be the next best thing, and I would say most supporters would think Fred, Germano, Terra and Sibon were/are worth the dollars.

It's hard to say, but who would be this "saviour" marquee? An ethnic cult hero? An EPL star?

As constantly stated, we are the youth policy team of Melbourne. We were upset because we lost Babalj, Good, Goodwin and Hamill, and we worry about losing Mate, Aziz and our Young Socceroos. So why don't we spend the money (if it comes) on new facilities. Better facilities mean better coaching technology and fitness programs. It also creates the "Collingwood Westpac Centre" effect through out the league. Attracting new players is made easier than the wheelie bin ice bucket image of La Trobe. And hell, work something out with Carlton/Princes Park, to work on that being the new home of Heart.

You don't win out of thin air. Create the foundations.

I should have senced a poor attendance this Season (thus far) given the poor turn out at the family day. Mind you there was little there for me to get excited about for next seasons family day.

Melbourne needs two teams. And the FFA needs the heart, as an 8 - 9 team comp does not look too good.

I question the heart membership figures. How do we have nearly 5.5k members yet only 6.3k turned up? How many free memberships were issued? I know for a fact a large number of memberships were issued free.

Make ticket prices more acceptable. I feel cheated paying $550 membership to watch rubbish like that. For that price I can see 40 afl games with an afl membership, rather than 13 a-league matches.

Hopefully they new tv rights will help solve a lot is these issues.

I'm a firm believer that it takes money to make money. Advertising isn't cheap and Heart don't have cash for advertising so they try to spread their cash as far as possible. I agree with the comment above about the kids following heart.

I'm also a believer that the best form of advertising is word of mouth, which is why I created the iPhone app (and android app coming) for _free_. Easiest way to double numbers if each person only brings ONE person a few weeks.

Bring along a mate, shout them some beers and show them a good time. Sure, it makes it hard to sell when they play like the Sunday just gone, but its more about the experience.

• Like 2

Wow, so much doom and gloom. we have had 2 home games and crowds so far this year are better than last year and the year before that.

Don't read to much into it yet.

If heart keep going they will continue to grow , even if it is at a the slow rate of 1000 increase in avg attendance per year .

What you guys aren't seeing is the massive amount of support being generated by heart in the kids.

I have a lot to do with kids from 20+ clubs and you see that most of the kids are following the heart due to the community ground work the club is doing.

Not many of these kids are coming to games yet - but the support is there and soon enough 1 by 1 and there parents start showing up.

Ive already seen it starting to happen

There is no magic bullet that will make us instantly popular, but i think we are still headed in the right direction..

This.

I thought the attendance on Sunday wasnt a big issue, I have a bad memory but pretty sure those sunday games last season never hit 6k attendance. Still to early to say, but our attendances appear to be up on last season.

Should also be noted that clubs playing in better leagues than ours, with bigger costs, survive with similar attendances to ours. We will be fine. Do your part to spread the word and we will continue to grow and eventually fill the stadium week in and week out.

Unless I've missed one, last season's Sunday games:

16th October, 5.00 p.m. vs Perth: 7,229.

15th January, 4.00 p.m. vs. Perth: 7,223.

26th February, 5.00 p.m. vs. CCM: 5,034.

Good point about overseas attendances Tesla. Many are pitifully small once you get away from the 'big leagues.'

Unless I've missed one, last season's Sunday games:

16th October, 5.00 p.m. vs Perth: 7,229.

15th January, 4.00 p.m. vs. Perth: 7,223.

26th February, 5.00 p.m. vs. CCM: 5,034.

Good point about overseas attendances Tesla. Many are pitifully small once you get away from the 'big leagues.'

Wasn't that game during the 50 degree day? Well close to it.

But thats like any sport in any league. Second tier comps are always small.

Not many people want to see second rate player, when they can watch the top flight on tv or in the stands.

The major difference b/w top tier and lower tiers are their wage bill.

As Mike Bassett quoted famously, although he coached Newcastle to regulation, he did save the club a substantial amount of money in player wage bills.

One of our biggest problem is we over pay our players, relative to our income. Our stadium fees wouldn't be all that cheap either.

But thats like any sport in any league. Second tier comps are always small.

Not many people want to see second rate player, when they can watch the top flight on tv or in the stands.

The major difference b/w top tier and lower tiers are their wage bill.

As Mike Bassett quoted famously, although he coached Newcastle to regulation, he did save the club a substantial amount of money in player wage bills.

One of our biggest problem is we over pay our players, relative to our income. Our stadium fees wouldn't be all that cheap either.

We are talking about the top tier in many nations, not lower levels.

There are clubs in Ligue 1, for exdample, with worse attendances than us. In Australia our perception of what constitutes a good attendance to a sporting event is distorted because AFL has such good attendances.

Edited by Tesla

In Australia our perception of what constitutes a good attendance to a sporting event is distorted because AFL has such good attendances.

Very true. Thats why they call us the sporting capital of the world.

But by no means would 6k been deemed acceptable in any other top tier football competition (bar developing, lower socio-economic countries)

Average attendance per game is up 2,854 from season 1. Things aren't that grim. If you chose to support the Mighty Hearts FC you've got to understand that it's going to be a slow burn to sustainability and success. We are growing year on year despite dismal performances and we will continue to do so. Just enjoy the ride and when we're averaging 14k+ and winning titles it'll be so much sweeter knowing that you never wavered from the start and stuck through the bad times.

We can all do our part to aid the "slow burn" by bringing a mate along and cheering our lungs out to add to the atmosphere. I live 3 and half hours away from the stadium and drag mates/family/a girlfriend every week.

That said, the team performing will obviously help substantially.

Edited by Jimmy

I did have a dream (lucid nightmare perhaps) the club came in to a lot of money. They bought and redeveloped the Vic Market site in to a boutique stadium and training complex. They ran community outreach programs when the club wasn't using it, and pre-game drinks were at the Drunken Poet.

Then I woke up.

• Like 1

Very true. Thats why they call us the sporting capital of the world.

But by no means would 6k been deemed acceptable in any other top tier football competition (bar developing, lower socio-economic countries)

That is because other counties dont have the AFL or the NRL.

That is because other counties dont have the AFL or the NRL.

the NRL dont draw too large of a crowd. they are a tv sport.

Other countries have other sports also. The US for example have numerous other sports. Canada etc

Granted not too many other countries have sports larger than world football. We have to deal with the hand we are dealt,

Edited by markn

the NRL dont draw too large of a crowd. they are a tv sport.

Its still in the Top 20 highest attended Leagues, as is Super Rugby and the Big Bash.

Other countries have other sports also. The US for example have numerous other sports. Canada etc

Granted not too many other countries have sports larger than football. We have to deal with the hand we are dealt,

FFS the population of USA/Canada is 16 times that of Aus/NZ, can u at least be realistic in your criticisms...

Very acceptable figure in countries like Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, etc.

These nations also have a better tv rights deal than us.

I also bet these clubs own their grounds and facilities so they dont have to pay the high leasing arrangements we do.

They also have a transfer market between the clubs to help generate extra revenue.

Latest transfers in Austrian Bundesliga

month

player

to

from

m€

Aug 12

Philipp Hosiner

Austria Vienna

Admira Wacker

Aug 12

Sadio Mane

Salzburg

Metz

Aug 12

Kevin Kampl

Salzburg

Aalen

PLUS - They also have the opportunity to play champions and europa league that generates even more revenue.

And on and on and on and on.......

Edited by markn

FFS the population of USA/Canada is 16 times that of Aus/NZ, can u at least be realistic in your criticisms...

i love it when you get on trying to rebut. i think at times you dont even read my content to understand a word i wrote.

I love going fishing when cadete is around.

We have to deal with the hand we are dealt!!!!!!!

I wrote that! How do you rebut my rebut with the same rebut? Only you know how.

FFS FFS FFS (That must be your favourite word) FFS. Try rebutting without the foul language FFS

Edited by markn

i love it when you get on trying to rebut. i think at times you dont even read my content to understand a word i wrote.

I love going fishing when cadete is around.

We have to deal with the hand we are dealt!!!!!!!

I wrote that! How do you rebut my rebut with the same rebut? Only you know how.

FFS FFS FFS (That must be your favourite word) FFS. Try rebutting without the foul language FFS

Just out of interest, have you got a membership yet, or are you complaining about our crowd figures without actually coming to games?

Melbourne should have had 2 A-League teams from the get go. North/West Victory playing out of Olympic Park and South/East playing out of Bob Jane.

^^ yer exactly, the fan base for both clubs would be huge if that was done.Victory to me is already the new south Melbourne IMO, they should update bob Jane and make it victorys new home ground. Fuck off South Melbourne Victory.

• Like 1

markn is the GOAT troll

I'm not that grumpy. I like the call. It would have gone over the heads of 99% of the people here.

I just like to call it the way it is. Sometimes its convenienct for half truths to be posted. I just like to add the other half.

BTW king??????? - I guess you dont read many of my posts if you have to ask questions like that. But does it matter if someone posts that are not "members"? Are we all members on this forum?

Keeping it real!

• Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic