Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

Throwing it out there, im sick of never cracking the 10k mark consistently. What is it? Ticket prices too high? Lack of interest? 

With kids coming free and on at a great time im suprised we didnt get at least 11k. 

Anyone have any ideas for how we can improve? Possibly giving away tickets to kids through schools or something. Whatever newcastle did it worked perfectly.

16 minutes ago, Hazzaverx said:

Throwing it out there, im sick of never cracking the 10k mark consistently. What is it? Ticket prices too high? Lack of interest? 

With kids coming free and on at a great time im suprised we didnt get at least 11k. 

Anyone have any ideas for how we can improve? Possibly giving away tickets to kids through schools or something. Whatever newcastle did it worked perfectly.

Win more games

8 hours ago, Hazzaverx said:

I have been saying since forever to attract more people we need to 1- win and 2- not be boring.

Yesterdays game suggests to me that the "I don't care how we do it as long as we win" attitude is the minority. As great as it is to wave won the first three games of the season, it is pretty difficult to get sentimental about games like that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hazzaverx said:

Absobloodylootly. 9091 is a poor attendance. They have an empty stadium. Fill it up with promotional activities - free tickets or prizes to schools, soccer clubs etc. A good crowd means a good and more entertaining atmosphere.

There hasn't been advertising from anyone, i know its on because i am a keen supporter and member but if its not marketed in the right way to the right people then its gonna be a slow burn with getting people along. Im not sure if its Citys or FFA's fault but at least im getting to hear from players and coaches more in the media and hopefully that becomes somewhat of a trigger for people to get along and see us. 

9,091 is a strong crowd until you remember that kids went free. 

Now there are a number of reasons why our crowds aren't larger than they are and they have seen natural growth since the club's inception, but I don't believe City have the leverage to charge $30 for an adult GA ticket.

I get City want to position themselves as a 'premium' product, but we're not in the Victorian sporting landscape so we can't pretend that we are. When the big bash or AFL tickets are as little as $15-$20 it just adds another hurdle in getting people to try the A-League and Melbourne City when you charge an entry price of $30...particularly when the Big Bash and AFL match day experience is approximately three to four hours when ours is only approximately 2 hours.

Drop the prices of tickets and have GA adult at $20 and not only will we see crowds increase 15-20% but it'll generate a much better atmosphere which would see the value of a Melbourne City ticket improve.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I have been saying since forever to attract more people we need to 1- win and 2- not be boring.

Yesterdays game suggests to me that the "I don't care how we do it as long as we win" attitude is the minority. As great as it is to wave won the first three games of the season, it is pretty difficult to get sentimental about games like that. 

Winning is the more important of the two in attracting new fans in my opinion.  Obviously the two aren't mutually exclusive (though it may appear that way with heart/city), but if you had to choose one or the other you would go with winning.  People like to attach themselves to the notion of success.

30 minutes ago, malloy said:

Winning is the more important of the two in attracting new fans in my opinion.  Obviously the two aren't mutually exclusive (though it may appear that way with heart/city), but if you had to choose one or the other you would go with winning.  People like to attach themselves to the notion of success.

Winning is more important in attracting new supporters, however winning and success is never permanent. What keeps fans is an attractive style and the ground atmosphere

34 minutes ago, malloy said:

Perhaps. We have never had either so I suppose we don't really know if one will be more attractive to new fans than the other. 

Personally I think both are just as important as each other. When we have played well but lost people were frustrated and became disengaged. And judging by the way people seemed bored out of their skull at games this season even when winning, I don't think people will be in a hurry to come back if we are boring but win.

Why not just open up the gates for one or 2 games a year, spruik it over all media. CFG surely can foot the bill for extra security and we might get people that have been looking for an excuse for a while to actually come along. I would like to know the numbers of actual members as opposed walk ups that we get each week. 

On 10/21/2017 at 0:23 AM, haz said:

Win more games

On 10/22/2017 at 8:51 AM, KSK_47 said:

Definitely agree that winning games brings people in but far out we played some of the best football in the league 2 seasons ago and still struggled to bring people through the gate.. We're one of the most liked teams on facebook (not that that really means much being in city football group as fans from parents clubs will have an interest in us) but surely thats an indicator that there is genuine interest in our team..

Im all for giving away tickets, but you have to be careful not to give away too many so as members feel theyre being ripped off.

$30 for an adult ticket however is too high. Agree that $20 should be the max someone pays for an adult GA.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

The game has hit a speed bump.

I put it down to the issues with the Socceroos, the rift between the A-League owners and the FFA and the genuine lack of star power within the comp.  This last point links back to the salary cap and the inability for clubs to build and sustain a squad capable of ongoing success in Asia.

The FTA deal with 10 may help drag in a few new fans over time, but in the short term it may actually reduce the attendances for the premium Sat night games.

There is a market for football in Aus ... just look at the numbers attending the games with the big name overseas clubs, or international teams.  These games, with exorbitant ticket prices, smash a-league and even Socceroo attendances. And there are so many kids that play the game, with families invested in the sport in someway, without any interest in the A-league.

For the game to go to the next level, the overall quality of the product needs to improve by freeing up restrictions to enable the creation of Asian Champions League quality teams, with big name players and more star power.  Clubs need to be able to use the free commercial market without the controlling shadow of FFA, who expect them to spend big and make a loss, without a genuine end game.

The FFA have put all their eggs in one basket (the Socceroos) and this is failing.  The A-League clubs know this and are fighting back through FIFA.  A better strategy for soccer in Australia is to enable a strong (Asian Champions producing) national comp that is well attended, with a commercially driven framework that encourages investment by individual clubs at all levels, which ultimately feeds up into the A-League.  The FFA cant continue to horde all the money for a State League / Junior system that simply hasn't produced genuine star players in recent times.

@Torn Asunder I'd like to see this in the Australian Football sub-forum - either in FFA Management or A-League Expansion. Brilliant summary of where we at. It will get lost in this thread, whereas it deserves a solid discussion.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Melbourne Heart/City are like the failed Masters chain. Got in too late, market was already saturated and fighting a losing battle against Melbourne Victory/Bunnings for the same group of people. That the Manchester City influence and money has not changed the status quo means this situation will remain as it is for some time yet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, MCMLIII said:

Melbourne Heart/City are like the failed Masters chain. Got in too late, market was already saturated and fighting a losing battle against Melbourne Victory/Bunnings for the same group of people. That the Manchester City influence and money has not changed the status quo means this situation will remain as it is for some time yet.

Don't agree. Masters could have won if they provided a better product. So can we. All we need is entertainment (and winning).

3 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

Don't agree. Masters could have won if they provided a better product. So can we. All we need is entertainment (and winning).

The masters/Bunnings analogy is a surprisingly good one.

Masters were essentially trying to deliver the same thing as Bunnings but in different packaging. Even if they were successful in what they wanted to achieve I  don't think they would have survived anyway because there would be no insensitive to change. Much like us, we are failing to deliver even the same thing against a well established brand that people know and trust. Why would anyone willingly choose us?!

To complete you need to exploit a gap in the market. Deliver something the competition are not providing. For us, I believe that means delivering football that is entertaining enough to convert the "soccer is boring" crowd.

How do you do that in a salary capped league in a country with little interest in even the best leagues in the world? No fucking idea. But I am not the one who bought an a league club and made promises of turning it into an Asian power house. 

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

The masters/Bunnings analogy is a surprisingly good one.

Masters were essentially trying to deliver the same thing as Bunnings but in different packaging. Even if they were successful in what they wanted to achieve I  don't think they would have survived anyway because there would be no insensitive to change. Much like us, we are failing to deliver even the same thing against a well established brand that people know and trust. Why would anyone willingly choose us?!

To complete you need to exploit a gap in the market. Deliver something the competition are not providing. For us, I believe that means delivering football that is entertaining enough to convert the "soccer is boring" crowd.

How do you do that in a salary capped league in a country with little interest in even the best leagues in the world? No fucking idea. But I am not the one who bought an a league club and made promises of turning it into an Asian power house. 

You're an insensitive to change! :lowy:

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I think the word you were looking for was incentive. :) 

Hahaha. Oh right. Damn autocorrect. I shouldn't go on rants first thing in the morning. My proof reading is just up to scratch.

*Edit- I probably shouldn't go on rants at any time of the day

Edited by KSK_47

15 hours ago, MCMLIII said:

Just a couple of points. "Got in too late" - Melbourne Victory had a signed agreement with FFA that no other A-League club would be allowed in Melbourne until the 6th season of the A-League.

Secondly, since your comment is posted in the "attendances" thread, I presume that you're concerned about our attendances. Why is that? Presumably the owners of the club are satisfied with progress, otherwise they would be taking further steps to increase the numbers. As a matter of fact, attendances have increased, albeit slowly. Excluding derby matches, the average attendance in 2010/11 was 5,828, in 2016/17 it was 8,580, and so far this season it is 8,839.

Thirdly I think you'll find that City is endeavouring to differentiate itself from Victory in ways such as "City Square", the "meet-and-greet" opportunities, the "City in the Community" program.

Sure CFG get things wrong, and I get irritated by things such as the failure of "City Voice" and failure to respond to e-mails etc. But you don't have to support the club if you don't want to, and you're free to walk any time.

• Like 1

Success is important, we won't grow without success on the field, however as you can see with the smurfs attendances, success alone is not sufficient. Win whilst playing an excruciating brand of football that squeezes the life out of teams whilst offering little entertainment beyond the final score and it'll attract little in the way of new support.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Success is important, we won't grow without success on the field, however as you can see with the smurfs attendances, success alone is not sufficient. Win whilst playing an excruciating brand of football that squeezes the life out of teams whilst offering little entertainment beyond the final score and it'll attract little in the way of new support.

There are a whole lot of factors involved in attendances, not just results and "performances." Kick-off times and buses replacing trains on PT are my pet hates in terms of Sunday matches, and it's difficult for me to persuade MrsJW to attend on that day.

Agree, but of course, all those obstacles become larger when there's little exciting to see beyond the result. I'm not saying that the result is nothing, exciting football without results isn't attractive either (except to the neutral) but there's many factors that are needed and 'feeling good' during and after a match is a very important one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There are a whole lot of factors involved in attendances, not just results and "performances." Kick-off times and buses replacing trains on PT are my pet hates in terms of Sunday matches, and it's difficult for me to persuade MrsJW to attend on that day.

Having taken three hours to do an hour's commute on Friday morning, buses replacing trains is my pet hate most of the time...

• Like 2

Anyone else been noticing that the attendance seems to no longer be  posted on the screens three-quarters of the way through the home games at AAMI?

Pretty sure I did not miss it last night. 

Not a bad turnout considering it was late on a school night.

Herald Sun is not posting in the online report was the crowd was either.  Is the paper telling us today?

55 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

Anyone else been noticing that the attendance seems to no longer be  posted on the screens three-quarters of the way through the home games at AAMI?

Pretty sure I did not miss it last night. 

Not a bad turnout considering it was late on a school night.

Herald Sun is not posting in the online report was the crowd was either.  Is the paper telling us today?

@CityWildcat It has not been announced for quite a while now. The A-League web-site has the official attendances up a little while after the matches have ended - the time delay seems to depend on which ground a match is played at.

Our average attendance so far this season is 8,560 - surprisingly - almost identical to the average non-derby attendance for last season, 8,580.

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@CityWildcat It has not been announced for quite a while now. The A-League web-site has the official attendances up a little while after the matches have ended - the time delay seems to depend on which ground a match is played at.

Our average attendance so far this season is 8,560 - surprisingly - almost identical to the average non-derby attendance for last season, 8,580.

That isn't bad considering we have been put through years of putrid football. At least we have loyal supporters. Some silverware will do wonders for our club.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 2:30 PM, jw1739 said:

Just a couple of points. "Got in too late" - Melbourne Victory had a signed agreement with FFA that no other A-League club would be allowed in Melbourne until the 6th season of the A-League.

Secondly, since your comment is posted in the "attendances" thread, I presume that you're concerned about our attendances. Why is that? Presumably the owners of the club are satisfied with progress, otherwise they would be taking further steps to increase the numbers. As a matter of fact, attendances have increased, albeit slowly. Excluding derby matches, the average attendance in 2010/11 was 5,828, in 2016/17 it was 8,580, and so far this season it is 8,839.

Thirdly I think you'll find that City is endeavouring to differentiate itself from Victory in ways such as "City Square", the "meet-and-greet" opportunities, the "City in the Community" program.

Sure CFG get things wrong, and I get irritated by things such as the failure of "City Voice" and failure to respond to e-mails etc. But you don't have to support the club if you don't want to, and you're free to walk any time.

Attendances are vital even if clubs are winning on the park.

40 minutes ago, Jovan said:

2 questions. 

Who was coach

What was the temperature 

@Jovan Jovan, you'll have to do better than that. 

We beat Newcastle 3-1. Iain Ramsay scored one and Mate Dugandzic two.

John van 't Schip was coach, John Aloisi having been sacked on 28th December 2013. We were of course bottom of the league at the time.

Indeed, it was a very hot day, and Melbourne was experiencing a 4-day heat-wave. Kick-off was at 7.30 p.m. but the maximum for the city on that day was 43.9 degrees. Avalon had reached 46.3 that day.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/month/vic/archive/201401.melbourne.shtml#recordsTmaxDailyHigh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic