Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

3 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

I finally made it on here.  Been attending the games since the first season of Heart, and (now work permits) a member for three years.

I find the Ticketek system utterly baffling and bloody useless to be honest. 

I got my son and I member allocations seats (not our reserved seats, we decided on a change)  and then hours later last Monday a week ago bought three more tickets for friends that wanted to attend... their three seats were better than our two!

I was disappointed in the turnout last night, but it can only grow.  It's far better than the Heart years, and it needs to be.

Welcome to the forum. When you combine FFA and Ticketek, it's a wonder any of us got seats at all

Edited by belaguttman

• 4 months later...

I'm quite surprised at how low attendance for City seem to be when you look at the population of Melbourne. 

Hopefully the populararity of the sport continues to increase because you have a great marketing mindset over here compared to the UK (outside the Sky Sports love in with the Premiership). 

Perhaps it's down to AFL being a bigger draw than soccer.

Melbourne is more than big enough for two teams capable of reaching 25/30k crowds regularly though.

18 minutes ago, Hughesie27 said:

I'm quite surprised at how low attendance for City seem to be when you look at the population of Melbourne. 

Hopefully the populararity of the sport continues to increase because you have a great marketing mindset over here compared to the UK (outside the Sky Sports love in with the Premiership). 

Perhaps it's down to AFL being a bigger draw than soccer.

Melbourne is more than big enough for two teams capable of reaching 25/30k crowds regularly though.

Population alone is not guarantee of anything. You have to give people a reason to why they should turn up. Melbourne is a very saturated market when it comes to entertainment and Melbourne city and Heart previously have been very low on the list for must see viewing. Melburnians are spoilt with choice and unless you produce a quality product you are destined for poor support.

That's why the first few weeks of this season will determine our prospects for the next decade and possibly beyond. If we stuff around and limp from round to round hoping for slow improvement and hope that we will make finals then in my opinion we will be destined to just over 12k to 15k for decades.

That's why we need to secure our Marquee and visa spot and start playing a particular solid style that will guarantee crowds and results. 

Possible. Definitely but will it happen I have my doubts.

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Population alone is not guarantee of anything. You have to give people a reason to why they should turn up. Melbourne is a very saturated market when it comes to entertainment and Melbourne city and Heart previously have been very low on the list for must see viewing. Melburnians are spoilt with choice and unless you produce a quality product you are destined for poor support.

That's why the first few weeks of this season will determine our prospects for the next decade and possibly beyond. If we stuff around and limp from round to round hoping for slow improvement and hope that we will make finals then in my opinion we will be destined to just over 12k to 15k for decades.

That's why we need to secure our Marquee and visa spot and start playing a particular solid style that will guarantee crowds and results. 

Possible. Definitely but will it happen I have my doubts.

That's fair enough. I get your point RE population not meaning totoo much. But at least the market is there. Here's hoping membership gets a boost with a couple of signings in the next week or so. Sooner the better of course so that they have time to gel into the team.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

What did everyone think of the crowd last night? 19k is good but I only hope our figures continue to be in the 5 digits.

Great effort. Was hoping for closer to the 20k mark but still far from a disappointment

Edited by KSK_47

27 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

What did everyone think of the crowd last night? 19k is good but I only hope our figures continue to be in the 5 digits.

Very happy with the number. 20k would have been good. For the short term future at least I think we could stay in the 5 digits as there will be a good buzz about our games. Wont be expecting it to be anything extraordinary though in the way of crowd figures. 

5 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

The atmosphere was incredible last night with such a big crowd. I look forward to the day that becomes a standard attendance for us

Yep. We were in Bay 13 at the Yarra End and the atmosphere was tremendous. The Melburnians were fantastic. I did think that we had cracked the 20K, but I was surprised to see so many gaps at the Northern End. But nothing can detract from what was a great night for the club and especially those of us who've been here since Day 1.

43 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

The atmosphere was incredible last night with such a big crowd. I look forward to the day that becomes a standard attendance for us

Absolutely. I was a bit worried we would be out sung at the beginning of the game because the sydney fans were fired up but cudos to melburnians (and the rest who got involved). Cracking atmosphere and we were farking loud

Edited by KSK_47

8,982 for the five home league matches so far this season is absolutely correct according to my spreadsheet.

I'm not sure that you can draw conclusions based on a small number of matches played against different opponents on different days of the week and with different KO times. However, FWIW this time last season (2015-16) we had played four home matches with an average attendance of just 7,370.

Our long-term average for the 76 regular non-derby league matches played at AAMI Park (therefore all home league matches excluding finals, derbies and regional matches) is just 7,378.

It is worth noting that in our first season the equivalent average was a mere 5,828, and the average has increased every season except for a minor blip caused by the two appearances of David Villa. Whether the numbers for certain other clubs have been adjusted to exclude derbies I don't know, but as always the only valid comparisons can be made when they are between exactly the same statistic. I would think that Perth and Wellington would always be at a disadvantage in any comparisons because of their distance from the other clubs, whereas Newcastle and CCM are within a stone's throw of Sydney and WSW, but how you allow for that - if you even can - I don't know. Perhaps the best indicator would be the raw data with no exclusions, but again I'm not qualified as a statistician so I can't say.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Still pretty poor to have the third best membership in the league and attendances like that

Tbh I'll never get the obsession that Australians, and in particular Melburnians have with attendances and membership stats. Honestly, unless it has a direct threat on our future, who cares. Sure it'd be nice to have big crowds, but i certainly dont enjoy it less because there is only 8 or 9 k there.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, GreenSeater said:

Still pretty poor to have the third best membership in the league and attendances like that

I suspect that if we knew what those membership numbers really were - i.e. the distribution between adults, families, children etc. we might have a clearer understanding. For example, I don't think that one family membership (2 adults plus 2 children) is really the equivalent to four single male adult memberships. Even though the membership numbers are equal, I'd be certain that the four adult males would attend more regularly than the four family members would.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh I'll never get the obsession that Australians, and in particular Melburnians have with attendances and membership stats. Honestly, unless it has a direct threat on our future, who cares. Sure it'd be nice to have big crowds, but i certainly dont enjoy it less because there is only 8 or 9 k there.

Agree. I've just looked at Saturday's match "City Insider" again, and there is so much that is more important about our club and the organization we're part of than just attendances. "Citizens Giving" and "City in the Community" are both featured. 

People get far too hung up on attendances.

Yes, we would all love to see more at matches but it just seems many get so side tracked by trying to count the seats filled and don't focus on the actual game on the park.

The FFA Cup success was a big step in the right direction and it is now up to the club to build on that confidence.

From what I can tell, many former and current fans are still watching on to see when they should really start to 'believe' in what is being offered.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Just received a questionnaire link from the franchise asking why I thought that so few season ticket holders attended matches. It specifically asked about match times but then provided a space for me to tell them what I really thought:tooth:

At least this time you did get the opportunity to say what you think and not just answer the set questions. And you told them...?

It's certainly an issue and time they addressed it. If you go online and want to buy a reserved seat membership you can check what seats are left. For City Blue you'll find that there are no more than 250 seats left at the whole of the Southern End. But as we all saw at the Christmas Derby there were huge gaps there. As another example, on the Western Wing Bay 28 is shown as having no seats available, yet the several seats next to us have not been occupied even once this season.

The club is just trying to find out what is going on. I volunteered to join in the on-line chat this time around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

At least this time you did get the opportunity to say what you think and not just answer the set questions. And you told them...?

It's certainly an issue and time they addressed it. If you go online and want to buy a reserved seat membership you can check what seats are left. For City Blue you'll find that there are no more than 250 seats left at the whole of the Southern End. But as we all saw at the Christmas Derby there were huge gaps there. As another example, on the Western Wing Bay 28 is shown as having no seats available, yet the several seats next to us have not been occupied even once this season.

The club is just trying to find out what is going on. I volunteered to join in the on-line chat this time around.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the opportunity to give feedback. I've also volunteered to join the on-line chat

• 3 months later...

For those interested, according to my figures our 2016/17 season average non-derby attendance was 8,580, down from 8,779 for 2015/16.

Disappointing when we consider we had our highest membership.

For season 2014/15 the corresponding average was 9,074, reduced to 8,009 if we exclude the two "David Villa matches." Probably unwise to draw any conclusions from such a small dataset, but our attendances appear to have plateaued.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

Those figures wouldn't surprise anyone on this forum, there just isn't an unlimited supply of masochists in Melbourne. Our football just isn't exciting to watch, our performances are too consistently inconsistent season upon season and light blue has nothing to do with Melbourne or Victoria

Edited by belaguttman

• jw1739 unpinned this topic