Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

You saying we have good crowds in WA, NSW and SA? Really, only MV has a solid turnout. Crowds drop under 10k when their team is doing crap.

Oh right. Sorry. I thought you meant specifically Melbourne.

I think places like WA and SA get reasonably good crowds considering population, etc. True they do drop when the teams perform poorly but overall I think they do OK (not great but reasonable). Nsw doesn't get good crowds at most NRL games unless its something really big happening or a team is doing exceptionally well, so "secondary" sports like soccer doesn't stand much hope.

But yeah. I know what you mean.

Tony99 - in answer to your question.

Like KSK-49 says (and as paraphrased from JFK), the real question is, ask not what we can do but ask what CFG should be doing - to make us want to do something.

If just encouraging friends to join is the sole measure, well I've done my bit and have directly got 6 others to join up and numerous others. However I went further and spent a fair bit of time in thinking about how the club could engage its members and promote itself to the community. I then put these ideas to the club with the offer of help. These suggestions were graded with some of the ideas utilising the club's support base so that none or minimal work was required by the club itself. After 10 months of frustrating emails and one personal meeting the sum result was …..........nothing. So what do you do from there?

We all agree that the on field performance is what is the ultimate glue but there are still many other ways that this club could package the product attractively and provide the emotional attachment. Like:

Advertising, advertising, advertising

Signing a name (even if it's a recognised name coach) and promoting them properly

Making the game day experience better (other than the on field stuff)

Publically engaging and getting on board smaller soccer clubs

Publically giving promotion time to school and kids teams

Offering game or membership tickets as prizes particularly to kids (just like McDonalds do)

Involving members in all sorts of events and activities

Listening to its members

Rewarding its members

Show and give support to active (I'm not an active member but, by gosh, they are good for the club and game day experience)

The list goes on and on and none of it is hard. Belaguttman hits the nail on the head, when he says the trouble is this club operates on the “old media” model ie its very paternalistic - we know what we are doing and we will treat the members like incidentals.

I would presume that, like me, we all joined with enthusiasm, hope and a desire to work together to produce a club that we would all be proud of.

I bloody well hope that the new Membership Officer is more dynamic, more willing to listen and is committed to making this club an icon.

After that rant I really do believe that next year will be better (as was last year and the year before that and ...)

Hi I'd like to add my 10 cents to this discussion and get some fedback on an idea I have.

Do you think our memberships packages would be more attractive to supporters if, as part of the package, City offered a streaming service of all away games online? Of course this woudl be somehow password protected and would need some kind of deal done with Foxtel.

It just seems to me that membership packages cater only for home games and do nothing as far as away games. Clearly members are interested in all the games so why not try and cater for that?

cheers Peter

Tony99 - in answer to your question.

Like KSK-49 says (and as paraphrased from JFK), the real question is, ask not what we can do but ask what CFG should be doing - to make us want to do something.

If just encouraging friends to join is the sole measure, well I've done my bit and have directly got 6 others to join up and numerous others. However I went further and spent a fair bit of time in thinking about how the club could engage its members and promote itself to the community. I then put these ideas to the club with the offer of help. These suggestions were graded with some of the ideas utilising the club's support base so that none or minimal work was required by the club itself. After 10 months of frustrating emails and one personal meeting the sum result was …..........nothing. So what do you do from there?

We all agree that the on field performance is what is the ultimate glue but there are still many other ways that this club could package the product attractively and provide the emotional attachment. Like:

Advertising, advertising, advertising

Signing a name (even if it's a recognised name coach) and promoting them properly

Making the game day experience better (other than the on field stuff)

Publically engaging and getting on board smaller soccer clubs

Publically giving promotion time to school and kids teams

Offering game or membership tickets as prizes particularly to kids (just like McDonalds do)

Involving members in all sorts of events and activities

Listening to its members

Rewarding its members

Show and give support to active (I'm not an active member but, by gosh, they are good for the club and game day experience)

The list goes on and on and none of it is hard. Belaguttman hits the nail on the head, when he says the trouble is this club operates on the “old media” model ie its very paternalistic - we know what we are doing and we will treat the members like incidentals.

I would presume that, like me, we all joined with enthusiasm, hope and a desire to work together to produce a club that we would all be proud of.

I bloody well hope that the new Membership Officer is more dynamic, more willing to listen and is committed to making this club an icon.

After that rant I really do believe that next year will be better (as was last year and the year before that and ...)

Hi I'd like to add my 10 cents to this discussion and get some fedback on an idea I have.

Do you think our memberships packages would be more attractive to supporters if, as part of the package, City offered a streaming service of all away games online? Of course this woudl be somehow password protected and would need some kind of deal done with Foxtel.

It just seems to me that membership packages cater only for home games and do nothing as far as away games. Clearly members are interested in all the games so why not try and cater for that?

cheers Peter

yes, that would be the sort of value adding that is innovative snd helpful although unlikely to get support from Foxtel of course (speaking of old media models). Remember though that our money doesn't buy membership but rather season home tickets, that is precisely all we are buying. It could maybe be streamed through the Melbourne City app that also provides other game metrics and stats live during the game

IMO you can only add value if the basic product is sound in its own right, and so far our home season tickets for reserved seats are amongst the most expensive in the league and the football we have produced has never been more than mediocre.

We have seen a steady but small increase in attendances so far, but the fundamentals of what is on offer have not been addressed, and I'm afraid that I don't think we will see regular five-figure attendances until they are addressed.

IMO you can only add value if the basic product is sound in its own right, and so far our home season tickets for reserved seats are amongst the most expensive in the league and the football we have produced has never been more than mediocre.

We have seen a steady but small increase in attendances so far, but the fundamentals of what is on offer have not been addressed, and I'm afraid that I don't think we will see regular five-figure attendances until they are addressed.

Marketing people seem to want to talk about "my match day experience".

Do you know what would enhance my match day experience?  Winning games.

What would make my match day experience fantastic? Winning games playing attractive football.

Don't really care who the ground announcer is (if anyone), what happens at half time, what is shown on the giant tele, what is available in the canteen, whether we have a "walkout song" or not, who or what the mascot is, if the coach smiles or sneers and I certainly don't care if there is a #quackbullshitcampaign.  

• Like 2

What would make my match day experience fantastic? Winning games playing attractive football.

Don't really care who the ground announcer is (if anyone), what happens at half time, what is shown on the giant tele, what is available in the canteen, whether we have a "walkout song" or not, who or what the mascot is, if the coach smiles or sneers and I certainly don't care if there is a #quackbullshitcampaign.  

#justfuckingwin

• Like 3

#justfuckingwin

#finalstraw

• 2 weeks later...

From just a casual look it would appear that the Melbourne Vixens netball team regularly draw several thousands to their matches at Hisense Arena.

They have some 3,700 members.

Isn't netball the highest participating sport behind football? Which puzzles me why are there so few fans at football games?

Dunno about other parts of Melbourne but in the West football is certainly huge. The problem in Australia, and actually in a lot of countries outside Europe and I guess South America, people are more interested in watching the European leagues and just assume the A-League is crap (which isnt the case).

Also, NSW is really where a lot of the players are, especially in parts of Sydney, so you have to question why the attendances aren't better there.

Edited by Tesla

So we should have at least 12k City supporters for this game against Victory?

I reakon more. I think most members with get extra tickets. I'm hoping we get 15+ and mostly together. Worst thing about shitihad is how scattered we have looked on the past.

I reakon more. I think most members with get extra tickets. I'm hoping we get 15+ and mostly together. Worst thing about shitihad is how scattered we have looked on the past.

Well I know I definitely will be scattered because they gave me two friggen tickets right next to the Victory bay! Taking my dad so I definitely don't want him hit on the head by KFC wrapping paper by some fat Victory kid so we will have to sneak into a City bay.

Well I know I definitely will be scattered because they gave me two friggen tickets right next to the Victory bay! Taking my dad so I definitely don't want him hit on the head by KFC wrapping paper by some fat Victory kid so we will have to sneak into a City bay.

Worst case scenario, find some Victory supporters who have wound up next to our bay and see if they want to swap.

From just a casual look it would appear that the Melbourne Vixens netball team regularly draw several thousands to their matches at Hisense Arena.

They have some 3,700 members.

Isn't netball the highest participating sport behind football? Which puzzles me why are there so few fans at football games?

Poor results for our games and quite simply, the euro snob.

many still find the a-leauge dull and boring and therefore wont show up to a-league games. (watch as they flock to drool over christiano ronaldo showboating for 50 minutes before he gets subbed off when madrid come to melbourne) 

Harry

A show boating Ronaldo is better than anything the A-League has to offer. Granted the A-League is the best in Australia, but by world standards it is well down the pecking order.

The A-League is the reason Euro Snobs are Euro Snobs. Hopefully with extra cash/marquees the standards will pick up, but with the limited players here being supplemented by the NYL, the A-League still has a long way to go.

• 3 months later...

Just noticed that the NSW government has committed to a 30,000 seat stadium for Wanderers (work to start in 2016) and a 50,000 stadium for Sydney City is on the cards.

Be nice when we start pushing these numbers.

Just noticed that the NSW government has committed to a 30,000 seat stadium for Wanderers (work to start in 2016) and a 50,000 stadium for Sydney City is on the cards.

Be nice when we start pushing these numbers.

• 1 month later...

8,408 is a good crowd considering there hasn't been much hype to the general public pre-season, the Derby kickstarted some blood into the veins, but the FFA Cup would have left a sour note and considering it was a Sunday 5pm against Central Coast, I'd take that. 

But I have no doubt the club are aiming for 10,000 each and every game outside the derby. Probably closer to 15,000 for Saturday night games.

8,408 is a good crowd considering there hasn't been much hype to the general public pre-season, the Derby kickstarted some blood into the veins, but the FFA Cup would have left a sour note and considering it was a Sunday 5pm against Central Coast, I'd take that. 

But I have no doubt the club are aiming for 10,000 each and every game outside the derby. Probably closer to 15,000 for Saturday night games.

Achievable..................................................ONLY IF THE WINS KEEP COMING!

• jw1739 unpinned this topic