Melbourne Football

Matchday 17: v Adelaide - Saturday 1st February 7.30pm at Coopers Stadium

Harrison

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Mombaerts said that when he arrived, the first sessions that he had with the team were in basic skills like trapping the ball. He needs some more sessions on passing to a team mate and heading the ball to a team mate. We get very few second balls

Our off the ball movement is rubbish, the only time anyone moves is if they are the one who will receive the ball. No one moves to create space for others no one moves to create extra options. It is like the whole team just stand there think og he will pass to him so I don't need to do anything yet.

Edit:

Also our defendive pressure is pretty poor too, when one player is closing down the ball we really try to put pressure on ghe options so that the opposition are forced into making rushed or hopeful passes.

In summary we are a reactionary team not a proactive team.

Edited by malloy

4 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Everything about the club just comes across as soft, with little ambition and complete push overs in any meaningful game as proven season after season... 

We're like the metronome of mediocrity. 

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the successful womens teams and youth teams

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Our off the ball movement is rubbish, the only time anyone moves is if they are the one who will receive the ball. No one moves to create space for others no one moves to create extra options. It is like the whole team just stand there think og he will pass to him so I don't need to do anything yet.

Edit:

Also our defendive pressure is pretty poor too, when one player is closing down the ball we really try to put pressure on ghe options so that the opposition are forced into making rushed or hopeful passes.

In summary we are a reactionary team not a proactive team.

That's a change, we used to have good movement with and without the ball. It's dropped off since Xmas.

Our team press has also dropped off nd is not coordinated, our movement off the ball used to cut off passing lanes, now it just seems to create space for our opponents to pass through

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

The game was a debacle.

What is Mombaets doing?

The team is all over the place.

Team tactics and strategies are straight out of the U12s playbook.

Basically we hold the ball in defense, the midfielder run up to the opposition defensive line and we hoof the ball out of defense.

No transition through the midfield and when we do pass mid pitch it goes wide and gets blocked, players don't know where to position themselves and we pass to the opposition, and no player runs onto the ball.

Then Susaeta gets played out of position as a CM, Najjarine starts in Susaeta's natural position(swap with Noone) where Najjarine has been by far out worst wide player, while Metcalfe and Genreau who do play in the middle sit on the bench. So basically Susaeta skillset get nullified and we play a rubbish winger.

Then we have a debacle of a defense where we are playing a hybrid RB who doesn't know where he is meant to be and play our natural RB on the left when we have Atkinson on the bench.

This manager is an absolute joke, the players don't know where they need to go or what to do, and we have one of the best strikers in the league as a bystander watching this comedy show unfolding before his eyes.

I was actually embarrassed watching this whole incompetent performance.

I don't mind losing in a high quality game where both teams battle and play good football but gee the standard of our play is atrocious on every level.

What a circus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

The game was a debacle.

What is Mombaets doing?

Basically we hold the ball in defense, the midfielder run up to the opposition defensive line and we hoof the ball out of defense.

No transition through the midfield and when we do pass mid pitch it goes wide and gets blocked, players don't know where to position themselves and we pass to the opposition, and no player runs onto the ball.

Then Susaeta gets played out of position as a CM, Najjarine starts in Susaeta's natural position(swap with Noone) where Najjarine has been by far out worst wide player, while Metcalfe and Genreau who do play in the middle sit on the bench. So basically Susaeta skillset get nullified and we play a rubbish winger.

Then we have a debacle of a defense where we are playing a hybrid RB who doesn't know where he is meant to be and play our natural RB on the left when we have Atkinson on the bench.

This manager is an absolute joke, the players don't know where they need to go or what to do, and we have one of the best strikers in the league as a bystander watching this comedy show unfolding before his eyes.

I don't mind losing in a high quality game where both teams battle and play good football but gee the standard of our play is atrocious on every level.

What a circus.

I couldn’t work our game plan.. could not even get it in our attacking third. Verbeek Outcoached Mombaerts for the second time and I’m worried if Mombaerts thought that second half was acceptable as he stated in the second half. Looked toothless and pragmatic when down 3-1. 

6 hours ago, belaguttman said:

That's a change, we used to have good movement with and without the ball. It's dropped off since Xmas.

Our team press has also dropped off nd is not coordinated, our movement off the ball used to cut off passing lanes, now it just seems to create space for our opponents to pass through

Our off the ball has become non existant lately, in this game many times the person with the ball would hold out his arms, as if to say what am I mean to do, someone make themselves available.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, playmaker said:

The game was a debacle.

What is Mombaets doing?

What a circus.

I heard that Galloway has played LB before and is comfortable doing it, I even think it was an Adelaide United supporter who wanted him to play there. Whether that is true or not.

Galloway is a fantastic LB, his ball into the box for our goal showed he can deliver quality on both feet. Him and Atkinson should be our full backs, but whoever partners Brillante in the middle has to have some mongrel unlike French Vanilla and help protect the centre backs when the full backs are advanced and we lose the ball.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Everything about the club just comes across as soft, with little ambition and complete push overs in any meaningful game as proven season after season... 

We're like the metronome of mediocrity. 

It has been said on here before that culture comes from the top. You've got to have people who have passion, determination to succeed, some aggression, the ability to drag staff, players and public along with you and an absolute fanaticism to achieve results. This has never been evident in our club with the seemingly primary goal being to "balance the books". Even their lack of desire to listen to the fans is in stark contrast to other clubs. As playmaker puts it "drain the swamp".

• Like 1

Griff should be in the XI before Berenguer every day of the week, he protects the defence and allows the full backs to get further up the park. Plus he has a cannon of a shot that we can use when the opposition get numbers behind the ball. It's a better option than than playing Delbridge at RB virtually stifling any attack down the right hand side for 90 minutes.

4 hours ago, moops said:

I heard that Galloway has played LB before and is comfortable doing it, I even think it was an Adelaide United supporter who wanted him to play there. Whether that is true or not.

Regardless, Atkinson and Galloway should be FB choices and not Delbridge.

This club really need to get back to basics and stop with all the trickster stuff to catch out the opposition.

Basic tactics, basic strategy, basic set plays, basic defense, midfield and attack. And d then when all this is mastered then move on to more complex ideas.

And for goodness sake, don't you think it's time to do something to counteract the opposition tactics to isolate Jamie, can someone at the club do something please. Maybe even to teach the players to pass the ball through  the centre and to his feet so be can try to create real opportunities rather than just bombing it high and wide.

Do something please.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the successful womens teams and youth teams

I really think it's a mistake to equate the women's team with the men's. The W-League is a joke really. Each "team" parachutes in a number of players each season for what is a very short competition, and I don't think these so-called "teams" represent the club whose colours they wear. To me it's rather like these manufactured BBL "teams" that don't really represent anything other than themselves.

Our youth team has not been successful in the past year either. Relegated in the NPL and nowhere in the recent NYL.  Probably related to the departure of Joe Palatsides, itself a fall-out from the Joyce Debacle. Individual young players are doing well, but not the team.

I'm afraid that I have become completely disillusioned with our future under the ownership of CFG. Something that at the time seemed to promise so much has delivered so little. As @mjake1234 says, there appears to be no passion or will to succeed in our club.

38 minutes ago, playmaker said:

This club really need to get back to basics and stop with all the trickster stuff to catch out the opposition.

Basic tactics, basic strategy, basic set plays, basic defense, midfield and attack. And d then when all this is mastered then move on to more complex ideas.

And for goodness sake, don't you think it's time to do something to counteract the opposition tactics to isolate Jamie, can someone at the club do something please. Maybe even to teach the players to pass the ball through  the centre and to his feet so be can try to create real opportunities rather than just bombing it high and wide.

Do something please.

Yeah, agree.

55 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Do something please.

Glad someone else thinks Delbridge at RB is bad management. It's a weird and unwelcome return to Joyce's tactics, and we all know how that went.

This back 4/back 3 switch when we go between phases is too difficult and complex for Delbridge and Noone to get right. 

Atkinson should be playing every game and preferably Galloway over Jamieson at LB. 

• Like 2

Its like we are tryng to recreate our Newcastle game everyweek, by playing so hurridely.  If only they could meld that performance with a more intelligent approach to attacking and defending, we would perhaps resettle and get some attacking confidence back, whilst being less kamizazee in defence.  Big boy Haz must learn from this season, as he has great potential ... he just needs to become a bit savvy and play to his strengths, with less full monger moments 

4 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Big boy Haz must learn from this season, as he has great potential ... he just needs to become a bit savvy and play to his strengths, with less full monger moments 

He's 28 in a month...not sure there's much potential left. He can get better (for example, by not going to ground when he needs to tackle) but he's not a young player anymore. 

What you see is probably what you're going to get with Delbridge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Griff should be in the XI before Berenguer every day of the week, he protects the defence and allows the full backs to get further up the park. Plus he has a cannon of a shot that we can use when the opposition get numbers behind the ball. It's a better option than than playing Delbridge at RB virtually stifling any attack down the right hand side for 90 minutes.

Playing RG in midfield detracts too much from JB, so if we have other players fit such as DG and CM then they should get the nod ahead of RG, regardless of whether his individual performance is better than his alternatives.