Melbourne Football

Matchday 17: v Adelaide - Saturday 1st February 7.30pm at Coopers Stadium

Harrison

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

Oh no. For real? I said in his thread before that it looked really nasty. Is it a partial tear?

I actually think we’re fucking cursed. 

Mombaerts unsure. Just suspects its bad. Off for confirmation.

League wide this happens all too often. We suspect its the pitches. It is such a bad look when foreign players are considering coming here. As if we need the prospect of serious injuries against our league - already have enough going against us.

Edited by JMSTEP123

One thing I’ve also noticed is that we actually have nobody who convincingly and constantly can take on a couple of opposition players and can get past them. Can be one of reasons we never look threatening if the crosses and long balls don’t land.

Just watching the Perth - Victory game and this Kampsoba is becoming a handful.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

One thing I’ve also noticed is that we actually have nobody who convincingly can take on a couple of opposition players and can get past to them. Can be one of reasons we never look threatening if the crosses and long balls don’t land.

Just watching the Perth - Victory game and this Kampsoba is becoming a handful.

I miss Arzani. 

12 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

And that’s why we needed Rojas a player who can actually take on players and dribble. We have no one who could do that Noone just cuts in and haven’t seen enough from Susaeta to judge. 

They will both cut in because both are in unnatural positions. This is a big disadvantage for Maclaren barely any normal crosses or cut backs from the back line coming in.

Edited by Mr MO

15 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Definitely not following the Manchester style of play there. 

Well we are copying the Manchester style because Sterling and Bruno Silva are playing as unnatural wingers too. 

The issue is that Maclaren isn’t suited for this. Aguero or Jesus are different players then Maclaren, they like to drop off and get the ball in their feet, both can dribble too. Jmac, lacks the technique for this unfortunately and needs to be served differently.

Edited by Mr MO

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Well we are copying the Manchester style because Sterling and Bruno Silva are playing as unnatural wingers too. 

This is issue is that Maclaren isn’t suited for this. Aguero and Jesus are different players then Maclaren, they like to drop off and get the ball in their feet, both can dribble too. Jmac, lacks the technique for this unfortunately and needs to served differently.

Don’t think I’ve seen one cut back to Maclaren. Can’t remember many if any.

He’d suit those because he can finish well and quickly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr MO said:

This is issue is that Maclaren isn’t suited for this. Aguero and Jesus are different players then Maclaren, they like to drop off and get the ball in their feet, both can dribble too. Jmac, lacks the technique for this unfortunately and needs to served differently.

That’s why gameplan doesn’t suit our style. Verbeek outcoached Mombaerts again and Maclaren in last 180’ fed off scraps vs Adelaide. 

Well JMAC hasn’t scored from open since the 2 precarious goals he got vs Western 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

Exactly my point - you will barely get any of those cut backs or good crosses if you wingers are cutting in and 7 out of 10 will shoot a curler.

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Exactly my point - you will barely get any of those cut backs or good crosses if you wingers are cutting in and 7 out of 10 will shoot a curler.

Well all our wingers do is cross or cut in drink and repeat predictable as shit along with our long ball tactic to a small striker who is not known for his hold up player like Bruno. Game plan doesn’t suit strengths of our players stop trying to play man city 2.0 just play to our team strengths like Sydney and Perth do 

17 minutes ago, Harrison said:

The only one I think of, away against WSW, guess what - Wales went to towards the back line and layed it off to him.

7 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Well all our wingers do is cross or cut in drink and repeat predictable as shit along with our long ball tactic to a small striker who is not known for his hold up player like Bruno. Game plan doesn’t suit strengths of our players stop trying to play man city 2.0 just play to our team strengths like Sydney and Perth do 

Half of these crosses seem to land behind Maclaren as well.

Edited by Mr MO

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The only one I think of, away against WSW, guess what - Wales went to towards the back line and layed it off to him.

Half of these crosses seem land behind Maclaren as well.

Or to no one in the box. Missed Luna tonight and have learnt Berengeur is just not up to it gave  him a chance but in his 2nd season  could you name one memorable thing he has done at the club I couldn’t. 

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Or to no one in the box. Missed Luna tonight and have learnt Berengeur is just not up to it gave  him a chance but in his 2nd season  could you name one memorable thing he has done at the club I couldn’t. 

He speaks French that’s the only reason he’s allowed to play out his contract. Do you speak French?

Florin did try today I noticed the runs he makes are deliberately missed by our players, almost like they have no faith.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

He speaks French that’s the only reason he’s allowed to play out his contract. Do you speak French?

Should have been gone last season or in the transfer window literally offers nothing to the game, not creative just sideways. Doesn’t take game by scruff of the neck and take authority too timid. 

Trys to make runs and flicks but team has no cohesion even though we’re 16 games in. 

Edited by CityBoyz

the 'problem' is that we are not very good, but a good run early with a hot streaking Mclaren has caused too many to believe it was sustainable and this club is really 2nd.

Firstly, we are not - you have to assume those with games in hand win them so we are equal 4th/5th in reality. (yes I know Perth play the nux next week, but we wont beat victory in a fit)

How is Florin in an a-league squad, let alone a starter? In a highly capped league, all players have limitations so you need guys that can offer something, and hopefully deal with their limitations. Florin is so vanilla he is of zero value. Probably not shocking at anything, but cant do anything either. There is absolutely no place in the squad for him at this level which is clearly above his head.

The spanish guy hasnt impressed me at all either. Noone should go. Our 'scouts' clearly dont exist, or are taking the piss. 

My prediction from the start of the season stands - we will fight to make the finals and all this because of a hot streak early. If it wasnt for that, we probably wouldnt even be in the equation. What else is papering cracks is there is literally 1 decent team in this league. The rest of us are absolute rubbish and borderline unwatchable. 

Edited by CityHeart
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I didn't get a chance to watch the match so I can't make any comments but reading the blog, did the problem begin in the team selection?

I'd say not really, it was strange game as before we went to 10 we looked reasonably comfortable in defence in general play. We just couldn't create anything. The issue was with set pieces

I didn't think Berenguer and Najjarine worked at all in midfield so you could be critical there, but without knowing exactly how Metcalfe and Genreau came back fitness wise, it's hard to completly say it was selection issue

An absolutely typical Melbourne City performance. Predictable. Mediocre players being given starts time after time. Not playing to the players' strengths. Dumb player and coaching decisions.

In our 10th season of this kind of rubbish. No wonder the supporter base is drifting away.

We need a fan boycott.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hanz said:

I think our team is very talented. They are just playing for a CFG franchise and we don’t have any heart...

When we go a goal down all I see is heads drop.

There’s no fight at all, fire up, push someone over have a little passion.

I'm with @HeartFc, we have no alphas on our team

As soon as the going gets tough, we roll over

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

An absolutely typical Melbourne City performance. Predictable. Mediocre players being given starts time after time. Not playing to the players' strengths. Dumb player and coaching decisions.

In our 10th season of this kind of rubbish. No wonder the supporter base is drifting away.

We need a fan boycott.

With the decreasing attendances what do you think is happening?

1 minute ago, NewConvert said:

With the decreasing attendances what do you think is happening?

I think that people are drifting away on a permanent basis i.e. it will be extremely difficult to attract them back. I was thinking of just one match where members might stay away en bloc  - as a demonstration of dissatisfaction. But Abu Dhabi wouldn't take any notice anyway. Too fucking arrogant to admit that they've got things wrong.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that people are drifting away on a permanent basis i.e. it will be extremely difficult to attract them back. I was thinking of just one match where members might stay away en bloc  - as a demonstration of dissatisfaction. But Abu Dhabi wouldn't take any notice anyway. Too fucking arrogant to admit that they've got things wrong.

People dont feel allegiance to the club in the same way you see across the world. For one, I feel closer to my Eng club than I do Melb City. And that says a lot. Having said that, I attend every game and spend a lot of time on City.

It is just not the same for others. A League is 'cheapish' family entertainment devoid of entertainment. The rusted on faithful, hoping one day to lift the Aussie standards and love of the game, will always be there. These are few and far between. Everyone else needs convinving to come - City needs further convincing given Victory are more appealing and have better history, play in Asia and generally are up there come seasons end.

Even JMac is not enough to entice UNLESS he is firing with others around him. The general view is that we are offering the same mediocrity despite our good start. As others have said - these issues are cultural. Something still smells off at CFG.

1 hour ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Even JMac is not enough to entice UNLESS he is firing with others around him. The general view is that we are offering the same mediocrity despite our good start. As others have said - these issues are cultural. Something still smells off at CFG.

Jmac is a touchy subject - in the eyes of some he’s a worthy marquee as he can score goals in the A-League and with others he’s not because he doesn’t bring bums to seats, goes missing in games and besides the poachers goals it’s nothing special skill wise.

I refuse to believe it’s 100% cultural, only look at some of the errors we make or basic football skills we lack - our players just aren’t good enough to make a difference in this league at the moment.

Some key players can’t even pass or control a ball properly, turn away or get past their direct opponent in situations when it matters.

You would be surprised what this team can do with another decent CB (Level Hendry of higher), proper marquee player maker and wingers in their natural positions to serve Jamie Maclaren. But I’m only dreaming.

Edited by Mr MO

We have too many new starters. We should be fine tuning the team mid season. Eric said that our Olyroos need time to settle back but then he rushed them back. What's the point of playing heavily strapped Metcalfe, before the derby.

We were more dominant in the air with Delbridge as CB. Besides, it's a known fact that he's too risky as a fullback. 

Susaeta plays like he is among the equals. He should be more adventurous.  It's a bit unclear whether he can play with the same passion and effect outside his home club. Hopefully he will show true colours next week. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Jmac is a touchy subject - in the eyes of some he’s a worthy marquee as he can score goals in the A-League and with others he’s not because he doesn’t bring bums to seats, goes missing in games and besides the poachers goals it’s nothing special skill wise.

I refuse to believe it’s 100% cultural, only look at some of the errors we make or basic football skills we lack - our players just aren’t good enough to make a difference in this league at the moment.

Some key players can’t even pass or control a ball properly, turn away or get past their direct opponent in situations when it matters.

You would be surprised what this team can do with another decent CB (Level Hendry of higher), proper marquee player maker and wingers in their natural positions to serve Jamie Maclaren. But I’m only dreaming.

I tend to agree with you. Sometimes watching City players versus other teams, the City players just don't seem to control the ball as well as others. Even in the air how often can they head the ball to a team mate? So I tend to believe that the issue starts with the skilsets that they have. And when I watch Retre and he can pass just fine then I realise the problem starts at the club.

As far as JMac is concerned, he is not going to poach any goals when the rest of the team plays hoofball. He is short and his marker is taller. He doesn't have the body strength that Fornaroli had to be able to physically match it with the other players. So JMac will start scoring again when the ball comes in low. Does he deserve marquee status? probably not. Does he deserve marquee salary most likely if the team plays low.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I agree. I am happy he is in our team but would be happier to see the service to him improve.

Yes you are right too - skill wise we have been low on competence. Frustrating to see.

6 hours ago, Hanz said:

I think our team is very talented. They are just playing for a CFG franchise and we don’t have any heart...

When we go a goal down all I see is heads drop.

There’s no fight at all, fire up, push someone over have a little passion.

Everything about the club just comes across as soft, with little ambition and complete push overs in any meaningful game as proven season after season... 

We're like the metronome of mediocrity. 

9 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Everything about the club just comes across as soft, with little ambition and complete push overs in any meaningful game as proven season after season... 

We're like the metronome of mediocrity. 

Does it come as a surprise that Zullo,  Retre, Brattan, Redmayne when they were at the club we won nothing of significance. Yet when they play at Sydney they have resilience never say die. Winning mentality.  It’s culture. 

Same at Perth with Franjic, Kilkenny, Bruno. 

Does it come as a surprise when players leave us they improve and are in winning mentality. It’s because we are under CFG with facilities they are just content compare to Sydney where they are all buy in to their culture. 

Edited by CityBoyz

51 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

We still don't have quality in midfield to create enough.  Our game style is just a bit too rushed at the moment.  We are very wasteful going forward at times.  AUFC hadn't scored from a corner all year - man,  when we are off,  it's very horrible to watch

When was our last decent outing? Newcastle was a gift - we did not earn that. Cannot remember for the life of me...

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

the City players just don't seem to control the ball as well as others. Even in the air how often can they head the ball to a team mate? So I tend to believe that the issue starts with the skilsets that they have.

Mombaerts said that when he arrived, the first sessions that he had with the team were in basic skills like trapping the ball. He needs some more sessions on passing to a team mate and heading the ball to a team mate. We get very few second balls