Melbourne Football

Matchday 17: v Adelaide - Saturday 1st February 7.30pm at Coopers Stadium

Harrison

There are 3 main selection issues with this week

Bouzanis vs Glover in goals - this is a real flip of coin for me. I'm probably leaning towards Bouzanis, 2 clean sheets in a row and in both of them he has made saves to protect it. It's unfortunate for Glover. But can easily see them going for Glover

Left back with Jamo suspended - Galloway to the left is most obvious choice, or does Delbo go out there and Atkinson plays. Or do we go to a proper back 3

Berenguer vs Metcalfe vs Genreau - I'm picking either of the 2 kids, probably which one returns in better shape. Berenguer can sit back on bench

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 28/01/2020 at 11:26 AM, Harrison said:

Defence will be tested by an Adelaide team that just scored four against WU. Jamieson is suspended so Galloway might be picked here, or Delbridge goes to LB and Atkinson comes back in.

Olyroos players are back too. 

The WU defence is not what it was at the start of the season, it's been extremely disrupted as half their defenders have left. I'm not surprised that they're conceding a lot of goals. We've just strengthened our defence

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

The WU defence is not what it was at the start of the season, it's been extremely disrupted as half their defenders have left. I'm not surprised that they're conceding a lot of goals. We've just strengthened our defence

I don’t just look at the defence though. Adelaide has quality in their attack with McGree, Mileusnic and Halloran. They are good, quick players who will exploit weaknesses.

I’m also not convinced we will go with the same defence, obviously because of Jamieson missing, but there’s a question around the three CBs. Could be a horses for courses type of approach now where we play all three CBs against counter attacking sides but revert to a more traditional two CBs and two FBs against sides that are more possession-based and so susceptible to our high press. 

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Jack HENDRY, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 14.Markel SUSAETA, 17.Denis GENREAU, 19.Lachlan WALES, 20.Adrian LUNA, 21.Ramy NAJJARINE, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 30.Moudi NAJJAR, 34.Connor METCALFE, 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI

**2-3 to be omitted**

Ins: 1.Tom GLOVER (returns from international duty), 17.Denis GENREAU (returns from international duty), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (returns from international duty), 34.Connor METCALFE (returns from international duty)

Outs: 3.Scott JAMIESON (suspended – 1 week), 46.Joe GAUCI (omitted)

Unavailable: 40.Richard WINDBICHLER (hamstring)

Bouzanis 

Delbridge.    Hendry.     Good.   Galloway

Brillante.   Metcalfe 

Luna

Susaeta.            Maclaren.          Noone

Glover, Atkinson, Genreau, Berenguer, Griffiths, Wales, Najjarine 

That doesn't look too bad at all

4 hours ago, neio said:

Bouzanis 

Brillante.   Metcalfe 

Luna

I would swap Noone for Atkinson and then have Susaeta swap wings with Atkinson

8 hours ago, neio said:

Bouzanis 

Brillante.   Metcalfe 

Luna

Would be good to see Susaeta start in his natural position.

Gaffers got some hard calls at the back this week.

Deans been in good form so he’ll need to make the call on him or Glover. (Don’t care)

Cant play that weird lopsided back 4 this week, so I suspect one of Delly, Hendry and Good will need to go. Tough decision considering how well they all played. (Delly  to be shafted for me)

Who to bring in for Berenguer? Maybe he stays of course but Genreau and Metcalfe look better choices. (Genreau for me).

Bench looking a hell of a lot better now.

• Like 2

We welcome back the best youth players in domestic football after a month away❤️❤️❤️  I’d start Metcalfe and Glover (tough luck Dean), bring Ramy on in 60th minute and watch him and Susaeta tear it up.

Still in second after a tough slog this past month. Time to launch and make a statement in the city of churches, particularly given the embarrassment we served up the last time we played there.

Not so sure Ramy will get a run. I think he's fallen behind a lot of the forwards, I'd say behind Colakovski now. I reckon Mombaerts isn't particularly enthused by his lack of industry off the ball and with his defensive duties. Also he hasn't been popping them in enough to carry his lack of work. But that's only my opinion

• Like 2

Luna out apparently.

From Mombaerts, via The Age

"Just Glover has played a lot of games. Connor and Denis also did not play enough. Ramy did play a little more," he said. "I think its too early [for Glover]. Genreau is fit now but he has a lack of competition game and training. He needs more [time] to recover."

Interesting, so with Luna out we definitely could see a 3-4-3/5-2-3 with Galloway and Atkinson as wing-backs that offer support in midfield.

As @Shahanga said above, I’d prefer we not play with three CBs in a back 4, it does give us more solidity but it makes it harder for us to properly control the game in the middle, which is what Mombaerts alluded to. We also lose drive from the wide position on the right as there’s little overlap down that side with Delbridge restricted.

Alternatively, we could still go with our usual system and use Griffiths as the defensive midfielder. 

Shapes to be a very interesting match.

9 hours ago, Dezy94 said:

We welcome back the best youth players in domestic football after a month away❤️❤️❤️  I’d start Metcalfe and Glover (tough luck Dean), bring Ramy on in 60th minute and watch him and Susaeta tear it up.

Still in second after a tough slog this past month. Time to launch and make a statement in the city of churches, particularly given the embarrassment we served up the last time we played there.

Metcalf fell ill, let's assume it's the coronavirus for now.

hopefully Rammy gained some confidence he seems to be lacking, I still think Colocovski is ahead of him with his forward play and physicality, I like the kid.

1 hour ago, moops said:

Metcalf fell ill, let's assume it's the coronavirus for now.

hopefully Rammy gained some confidence he seems to be lacking, I still think Colocovski is ahead of him with his forward play and physicality, I like the kid.

Bit disappointed in this post. It started in the right vein but then fell out of the forum vibe.

How about this:

1.Metcalfe fell crook, probably Coronavirus, I’m expecting it to spread to the entire club

2. Glover played every game, he’s stuffed and needs a rest.

3. Genreau had an injury and only played a little. He’s probably injured, unfit and has his confidence shot now.

4. Remy got a bit of time off the bench but had been really confused by the different managers styles. Thinking of converting to a central defender now in order to cope.

Edited by Shahanga

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

But disappointed in this post. It started in the right vein but then fell out of the forum vibe.

How about this:

1.Metcalfe fell crook, probably Coronavirus, I’m expecting it to spread to the entire club

2. Glover played every game, he’s stuffed and needs a rest.

3. Genreau had an injury and only played a little. He’s probably injured, unfit and has his confidence shot now.

4. Remy got a bit of time off the bench but had been really confused by the different managers styles. Thinking of converting to a central defender now in order to cope.

That's it, you got it.

Sorry for my tardiness.

Edited by moops
  • Haha 1