Melbourne Football

Groundskeeper Awards

KSK_47

soccerfieldfail2.jpg

soccerfieldfail3.jpg

the groundsman must have had a big night out doing the lines lol. Fixed

Honestly though, whilst we may be having a laugh about the lines when the real groundsman do's the lines he puts down a string line pulled tight between the points he wishes to line and then follows that string line.

The person that did these lines was not very experienced at all and should really be embarrassed about his/her efforts.

Do you catch my drift?

Edited by n i k o

• 3 months later...

Wanting to pick some brains regarding over-sowing a pitch. Currenty we have Santa Ana Couch on a Sandy Loam base with Clay underneath. During Summer it is brilliant and looks like this:

579836_423142127699291_2137099363_n.jpg?

But as soon as winter hits it goes dormant and is absolute shit to play on. We're looking at over-sowing it in September, so it should be pretty good for pre-season in February.

Problem is there are a shitload of different Kikuyu's and Couch's available, but not sure which is the best all round grass that will be good from February to September. Watering isn't an issue, as we water daily during summer. 

Wanting to pick some brains regarding over-sowing a pitch. Currenty we have Santa Ana Couch on a Sandy Loam base with Clay underneath. During Summer it is brilliant and looks like this:

579836_423142127699291_2137099363_n.jpg?

But as soon as winter hits it goes dormant and is absolute shit to play on. We're looking at over-sowing it in September, so it should be pretty good for pre-season in February.

Problem is there are a shitload of different Kikuyu's and Couch's available, but not sure which is the best all round grass that will be good from February to September. Watering isn't an issue, as we water daily during summer. 

I think what you need is what is known as a cool season grass to oversow the Santa Ana for winter when the couch is dormant , i think you may be looking at something like Ryegrass which is very hardy and would take the ground over winter. The Ryegrass would need more water than the couch so hope you have plenty in reserve.

we've already oversown with Rye and it didn't provide enough coverage and didn't take long for it to chop up.

Personally, I think the Santa Ana isn't thick enough, as it gets cut at 15-20mm high and doesn't provide much cushion under foot. Ideally whatever we plant will be mixed with Rye to give it some colour during winter.

we've already oversown with Rye and it didn't provide enough coverage and didn't take long for it to chop up.

Personally, I think the Santa Ana isn't thick enough, as it gets cut at 15-20mm high and doesn't provide much cushion under foot. Ideally whatever we plant will be mixed with Rye to give it some colour during winter.

If you want to go with another couch then i would suggest you investigate Sir Walter since it is supposed to take some amount of hard wear and is slightly shade tolerant which may help over winter.

Please bear in mind that most couch varieties do have some dormancy period so you need one with the shortest dormancy period.

Edited by johnno cpfc

• 1 month later...

O.K. that looks to be a fair thing, the Fescue will give you a quick cover and the Ryegrass will give you grass over the next winter. I hope things turn out well for you out there. Oh i almost forgot to say the increase in cutting height will certainly help over the summer too.

Edited by johnno cpfc

Will also be telling councils lawn mower man to only mow it. Last year they sprayed it and killed off everything except the couch in February. The season before that they dumped a few tonne of sand over it. Unfortunately it was too thick and the couch couldn't get any sun.

So this season we'll do all the maintenance and they can just mow it. Will try and get some pics of before and after.

About the only thing other than mowing you might get them to scarify next spring to thin out the old couch runners this will make the couch set new runners and make for a good surface. It will also allow the Ryegrass to fill out more, good luck with the maintenance remember to keep the water up to the Ryegrass as it sets.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

3598.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

:lol:

Argentina football officials order team to fix crooked field after 30 years

From above, the football pitch in Liniers – a working-class neighbourhood in Buenos Aires – looks like an elementary school pupil’s first attempts at geometry: the touchlines are parallel, but the goal lines both slant disconcertingly, and one half is noticeably shorter than the other. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/12/argentina-crooked-football-field-liniers-google-maps

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This sort of thing just leaves me almost speechless. And this in the city that some say would like to host an A-League club.  I would have thought that FFA would have someone check the venue the day before the match. All round inept management.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/06/2019 at 11:25 AM, KSK_47 said:

This is some wild shit

FB_IMG_1561769728145.jpg

I love that ground although I never went there. This is a shot of the second of the famous "beech hedges."

Edited by jw1739
Image deleted
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...