Jump to content
Melbourne Football
Sign in to follow this  
Harrison

Jack Hendry

Recommended Posts

came for game time, will he be able to nudge out our basically cemented pairing in good and delbo - seems a strange signing - we have rostyn to fill in any cb gaps (adequately might i point out).  I get that he is an injury replacement but I dont see him playing anytime soon unless he is drastically better than what we have

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really happy that we got some defensive cover, hopefully he works out. Let's just say he didn't make the biggest impact on Celtic fans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! Another good show of intent by the club, although I'm not sure whether he'll feature in our starting XI so might be surplus to requirements.

Apparently he can play right back so perhaps he might play there or maybe we'll play a back three eventually, idk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Originalmeme said:

came for game time, will he be able to nudge out our basically cemented pairing in good and delbo - seems a strange signing - we have rostyn to fill in any cb gaps (adequately might i point out).  I get that he is an injury replacement but I dont see him playing anytime soon unless he is drastically better than what we have

I reckon Erick’s not that keen on playing his midfielders in defence, plus as it stands the squad is very thin.

Im with you though, Delbridge and Good stay fit etc he’ll struggle for game time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I reckon Erick’s not that keen on playing his midfielders in defence, plus as it stands the squad is very thin.

Im with you though, Delbridge and Good stay fit etc he’ll struggle for game time.

Isn't Delbridge on the brink of suspension for accumulated yellows?

I see this signing as more of a peek at Hendry for the remainder of this season at no cost to the club with a view to replacing Griffiths at the end of this season when he will be out of contract. Croissant will surely be on his way season's end to create a visa place..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Isn't Delbridge on the brink of suspension for accumulated yellows?

I see this signing as more of a peek at Hendry for the remainder of this season at no cost to the club with a view to replacing Griffiths at the end of this season when he will be out of contract. Croissant will surely be on his way season's end to create a visa place..

I dont think theres any chance Hendry stays beyond this season. He was signed for a nearly 3 mil tfr fee a year or two ago and is contracted until 2022. I highly doubt we'll be buying him out.
Short term loan with nothing to lose for us, and hopefully hes good enough to force his way in and stay there until seasons end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, haz said:

3ATB 🧐

cos i love doing XI's:

                         glover

          hendry    good    delbo

atko                brill                      galloway

              florin       luna

                    susaeta

                      jmac

Edited by Originalmeme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

cos i love doing XI's:

                         glover

          hendry    good    delbo

atko                brill                      galloway

              florin       luna

                    susaeta

                      jmac

No

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t believe there’s people questioning bringing another dedicated central defender as an injury replacement. Hendry will 100% be on our level required.

Edited by Mr MO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I can’t believe there’s people questioning bringing another dedicated central defender as an injury replacement. Hendry will 100% be on our level required.

Think you might change your tune on this. Have you seen the clip above?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Think you might change your tune on this. Have you seen the clip above?

CFG are playing 4D chess here. Our history is signing good players then watching them flop..... now we've signed someone who is deemed shit, he will win the JW Medal

Edited by haz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Without knowing Jack (pun intended) about Jack, he can't be worse than Winbichler in terms of output. 

For whatever reason Windbichler hasn't been able to get onto the pitch and therefore is a confirmed waste of a visa spot. To bring in a 24 year-old with a few international caps (okay Scotland aren't great at the moment) he can't be that shit. 

So the way I see it, firstly it's great business by CFG to be able to bring in a fringe player from an elite club, which I doubt any other team in our League could do and secondly it clearly shows that in the long term we are learning from our mistakes (Aaron Hughes).

Anyone who opposes this loan signing should really take a second look. 

Pretty well. It's a free swing, and if he doesnt turn out to be better than Delbridge or Good then we've lost absolutely nothing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Embee said:

You're drawing a conclusion on a player (who's been deemed good enough to play 3 games for Scotland) based off of that 20 second twitter video?

I meant more that Mr Mo likes technical and skilled defenders by his own admission and that Hendry doesn’t seem like that type at all based on some clips of play I’ve watched and going by the comments I’ve read about him. 

But in general I’m not too keen on him as a player. I’ll happily eat my words if he comes in and plays well though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I can’t believe there’s people questioning bringing another dedicated central defender as an injury replacement. Hendry will 100% be on our level required.

I’m not questioning it but I’m assuming he will be 3rd choice centre back.

We certainly need another defender, as of today we have just 4 available, which is scary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Get rid of the cap and bring big shenks back

If he does, my mum will be back at games. Last season I doubt she ever watched the ball, just eyed off PK and Bort.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harrison said:

Think you might change your tune on this. Have you seen the clip above?

Yeah maybe, I was more hinting towards having a somewhat free injury replacement.

Everybody loves Delbridge so if this guy is average but can tackle then he will be a fan favorite in no time!

But you are right I’m bigger fan of footballing defenders rather than tackling defenders. Let’s see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, haz said:

If he does, my mum will be back at games. Last season I doubt she ever watched the ball, just eyed off PK and Bort.

Disgusting. Us blokes aren't pieces of meat you know!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given we've only kept 3 clean sheets in 14 games and have conceded the 3rd highest in the league I think we'll be trying to find a partnership that works well because Good-Delbridge isn't as good as Wilkinson-McGowan or Taylor-DeVere or Perth's back 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harrison said:

I meant more that Mr Mo likes technical and skilled defenders by his own admission and that Hendry doesn’t seem like that type at all based on some clips of play I’ve watched and going by the comments I’ve read about him. 

But in general I’m not too keen on him as a player. I’ll happily eat my words if he comes in and plays well though.

20 second clips here and there on twitter don't tell a complete story, just like insane highlight videos of extreme moments of quality.

The vast majority of social media commentary I saw from Sydney fans when we signed Brillante was that he was done as a star midfielder in this league and had been average at best for them over the past 12 months. We all know how that went....

Hendry's got a good enough CV for me to be confident he'll be a success for us. I could be wrong, but I'm not having to have that confidence swayed by a few video clips and some angry Celtic fans.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Embee said:

20 second clips here and there on twitter don't tell a complete story, just like insane highlight videos of extreme moments of quality.

The vast majority of social media commentary I saw from Sydney fans when we signed Brillante was that he was done as a star midfielder in this league and had been average at best for them over the past 12 months. We all know how that went....

Hendry's got a good enough CV for me to be confident he'll be a success for us. I could be wrong, but I'm not having to have that confidence swayed by a few video clips and some angry Celtic fans.

I don’t go on social media much so I didn’t see that Brillante criticism. That’s honestly mind-boggling but I suppose I can understand fans writing a player off when they feel he’s been disloyal or whatever. Just par for the course for Sydney fans. 

But to your point about Hendry, I’ve seen a fair few clips now and whilst it’s obviously not a good idea to dismiss a player based on that, I don’t think he’s a good player and I’m comfortable backing my football knowledge. And the criticisms of him aren’t from some fans, what worries me is the vast majority of posts about him on their forum are negative. 

But like I said, I hope he proves me wrong and is the next Bart because that means our team gets better and that’s what I want more than being proved right. Give me a GF win over Sydney with Hendry being MOM over me being right any day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celtic fans are notoriously fickle. They were treated to Virgil van Dijk so have pretty high expectations for their defenders. You just have to read any post on social media from their fans and the comments are usually split. 50% of their fan base would complain if they signed Messi because he isn't Henrik Larsson.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ye thats actually spot on. Celtic fans are always sooking and now that Rangers are back in the hunt they're in full panic mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Given we've only kept 3 clean sheets in 14 games and have conceded the 3rd highest in the league I think we'll be trying to find a partnership that works well because Good-Delbridge isn't as good as Wilkinson-McGowan or Taylor-DeVere or Perth's back 3.

From what I’ve seen a lot of the goals are coming from problems outside of the centre backs.

A few recent examples:

* sloppy give away by the RB

* attempted intercept by the AM gone wrong

* suicidal keeping

* LB out of position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Strong debut tonight. Looks a good player.

Not looking forward to all these John Stones comparisons for the rest of the season though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I liked is that he looked composed and comfortable but he also knew his limitations, as I said in match thread. Him booting it 50 metres upfield to reset cause he has no options is much better than trying to create something that isn't there and putting team under unnecessary pressure

Definitely a good starting game, and something to work with

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid debut, strong in a tackle, reads it well, aerialy decent. Not sure about his passing range most of his passes were safe short. Everything you need in a solid defender. 

I'm hoping he has more in his locker, that is able to drive through a line and hit a decent pass. 

Overall he is as good as Delbribge and Good with possibility of being better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...