Melbourne Football

Gym Rats

kingawesomeness

Yeh i am one of the lighter rucks in our league.

I wanted to get to 100kg before the season started. I didnt. 

It is probably because I do a lot of running during the game and training etc. Preseason killed my chances.

Gone are the days where I weighed 90kg and was pushed out of every contest. Now it only happens 50% of the time. Ha.

I'd assume its because he needs more weight for rucking?

lol tard, I understand why he wants the weight, what I dont understand is why he is trying to gain it 'in season' of a both aerobic and anaerobically taxing sport. Your body will struggle to adapt to the two types of training ie for football and trying to grow in the gym. Not saying it's impossible but their is a reason that professional football clubs tailor their gym programs for different stages of the year. I would be staggered to see any strength and conditioning professionals advocating a targeted growth program for a player on a full playing load. They separate it like so. Pre-Season: Size and Strength, In-season: Conditioning, muscular endurance/exhaustion, weakness/deficiency correction and rehab work.

So for a non-professional footballer ie Droy who is not receiving the same nutritional and professional support with smaller recovery periods and less focused training techniques I have my reservations about the aspirations he is trying to realise during the season. Not having a crack, just think you should focus your training differently until the season concludes. Until then, I would focus on training to get stronger for longer. Big blokes(size) aren't always the most effective ones on the field. The ones who know how to use their strength and size properly for longer will always win out in an aerobically taxing sport like footy.

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 1

Gone are the days where I weighed 90kg and was pushed out of every contest. Now it only happens 50% of the time. Ha.

My god, can't even imagine you at only 90 for your height. I'm pushing on 6'3" at 87kg, and am fucking skinny. You must have been bone thin.

I started back in November, during preseason. But also played baseball etc.

I eat a lot but burned it all by doing all the activities.

I understand I won't be able to gain weight during the season, unless I get injured and have time off, so I am just getting advice for after footy this year.

Is maltitol sugar/carbs? What is it? Can it be harmful to my dieting...?

It is technically sugar and is a starch extract if I remember correctly. It's used as a sweetener in substitution for for sugar but it does contain calories I'm pretty sure. 

Why do you ask? Looking at your chewing gum packets, LR9? :D

Nah, noticed it listed on my new protein bars, thought they were really good stats (35% protein, 10% fat and only 20% carbs) but then matitol is listed on its own (20%) not sure what to read in to it....

Edited by LR9

• 3 weeks later...

Older bloke?

Not sure, it happened not to long after I left the gym (thankfully, don't think I would have wanted to see), only have what I heard through friends who were there.

Not the first time something similar has happened, a lady had a cardiac arrest on a treadmill not to long after the gym opened (about a year ago), but was saved due to first aid performed by staff members until an ambulance arrived. She was in her 20s, non-smoker, and no history of heart problems.

Just shows, like BH said, there are dangers involved. Worth noting my gym has like 10,000 members or something so I don't want to scare anyone off with my multiple cardiac arrest stories.

Decided that I'm going to give protein powders and all that stuff one more crack. Starting in September when footy finishes. (We haven't won a game yet so I'm ruling out finals).

Where do I start? Do I go see my trainer at the gym? How much does one pay for things these days?

No cardio (limited) from September to Jan.

Decided that I'm going to give protein powders and all that stuff one more crack. Starting in September when footy finishes. (We haven't won a game yet so I'm ruling out finals).

Where do I start? Do I go see my trainer at the gym? How much does one pay for things these days?

Most protein powders are fairly expensive in Aus because they bastards seize 'dairy' products if you import. Overseas you can get them for a third of the price.

Most protein powders are fairly expensive in Aus because they bastards seize 'dairy' products if you import. Overseas you can get them for a third of the price.

You need a declaration from the manufacturer. They don't give you this because they want to protect the profits of the official importers (who then pay the manufacturer more)

I have gotten away with importing it before via vitacost, and there are also some protein powders you can legally import via bb.com because they provide a manufacturer declaration (shit selection on last check, been a while though)

You need a declaration from the manufacturer. They don't give you this because they want to protect the profits of the official importers (who then pay the manufacturer more)

I have gotten away with importing it before via vitacost, and there are also some protein powders you can legally import via bb.com because they provide a manufacturer declaration (shit selection on last check, been a while though)

Ahh ok, I didn't know about that. I guess it's fair enough to protect domestic businesses, but it's still far too expensive. I bought some off ebay at the start of the year and it was a decent price and has lasted for a fair while...but that's probably because I've barely been going to gym the last few months.

Can't wait until exams are over and I can get back into the swing of things hopefully.

This is a question/s that gets asked a lot. You will get mountains of bullshit, broscience and blind leading the blinding when getting it answered. You need to speak to somebody genuinely in the know in regards to nutrition and sports nutrition ideally. I would urge you to talk to somebody like Tachycardia who has trained for years, works in the industry, has a tertiary qualification in Health Science and lives and breathes the science behind sport/training.

MY ADVICE: Some people swear by supplements and say that you can't grow significantly without them and the other side claim that they are all bullshit marketing ploys etc. I disagree with both sides tbh. There are tangible scientific benefits to adding certain things to your diet and using a strategic supplement regime but that said I do also believe there is a lot of marketing, wank and hope sold in those big plastic jars too. 

You need to tailor your diet MOST importantly and then add what you lack and even some things you want more of in order to keep up with your increasing training load. There seems to be this strange aura around Protein, Creatine etc. that these products make your muscles grow directly. They aid recovery and CAN help encourage regeneration of muscle tissue thus making it easier to get back to the gym and train again. They are not steroids or HGH and are intended to be used as a SUPPLEMENT to a training targeted diet. 

Personally over the years I have tried many products but keep coming back to the basics and use brands that I know are sourced from decent ingredients.

Atm I am using:

International Protein: Synergy 5 WPI/WPC blend

Dymatize L-Glutamine

ON BCAAs 

and the occasional pre-workout (Max's) when I lack energy

I dont feel the need for much more and some would also argue that doubling up on the Glutamine with the BCCAs is superfluous as well but in my opinion there's not too much more you would want to splurging on. Although, maybe give a decent Micronized Creatine a go. I don't use it anymore as I don't feel like it did much for me but some people swear by it. Just dont buy CellTech unless you want Diabetes :up:

TLDR: Talk to somebody who ACTUALLY knows what they are on about. Tailor your diet and supp regime to your body and training goals

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 1

Cheers mate. Yeh I'm going to have a chat to a VFL nutritionist first. If I can't get onto them, then ill use my other contact who is friends with a former AFL nutritionist. definitley getting the best advice when it comes to this stuff now.

I will let people know how I'm going. Slash you will see the transformations... I hope.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally strung together a few sessions, so can confirm my return. Have become fat AF in the meantime. Anyway, I used to know all the good priced places locally for supplements, no longer the case. A1 supplements was a cheap one, though out of stock a lot of the time, but it seems to be closed now? The protein store at my gym used to be good but has progressively gotten more expensive. There is a cheap one near highpoint as well but cbf going there unless I'm in the area.

Any other cheap places?

I also remember before I stopped the On gold standard protein was getting significantly more expensive and harder to find, seems to still be the case, always liked it because of the large variety of flavours while being a trustworthy brand, any other tasty broteins?