Melbourne Football

Gym Rats

kingawesomeness

Aiming for 11% bf by end of Feb.

Currently sitting around 17 or so.

NEED. TO. DO. CARDIO.

6% bf in 6 weeks, it will be challenging.

Dont go to fast, not worth loosing fat fast if you can't increase or at least maintain strength IMO. I'm trying to lose fat and increase strength at the moment, not easy to do but just got to be consistent.

6% bf in 6 weeks, it will be challenging.

Dont go to fast, not worth loosing fat fast if you can't increase or at least maintain strength IMO. I'm trying to lose fat and increase strength at the moment, not easy to do but just got to be consistent.

Agreed. I dropped from 29% to about 10%ish atm, but I started losing weight in April 2011. Lost about 25kg in 4 months, and now am still trying to get my skin to tighten back up. Lost about 5.5kg lean mass in the process and spent the next 4-5 months building it back up again.

If you're going to cut, make sure you're losing a maximum of 3kg/month and that you know exactly what you're putting into/working out of your body so you don't lose muscle.

If I were you, I'd give myself at least 2 months to lose that kind of weight, especially because dropping from 12% to <10% is the hardest part of cutting.

I need to motivate myself to do more cardio, that's number 1 aim.

Due to eat being holidays, I'm waking up pretty late and not eating much during the day, I'm definitely keeping below 1500 calories most days.

Is this the right way to do it?

If all you cared about was losing fat and maintaining muscle, I wouldn't do cardio. Cardio takes away from your recovery time from lifting. When on a cut you have less food to use to recover from lifting, so it is actually the worst time to do cardio in a lot of ways. But I know you also play footy so you would want some conditioning and thats why for you I would say stick with the cardio.

But dont jog, jogging is gay, and leaves you looking like a kenyan/ethiopian marathon runner. Sprints and walk in between sprints. Also would be similar to what you do in footy anyway I would imagine, you dont jog around the whole time do you, I would imagine a mixture of sprinting and walking is closer to what you end up doing amiright?

Yeah, absolutely.

I've read all about different ways of doing cardio and have decided that my form of cardio is sprinting.

It's difficult to do sprints at this time of year though as you can't do them on a treadmill, you must be outside and it's just too fucking hot man.

Yeah, absolutely.

I've read all about different ways of doing cardio and have decided that my form of cardio is sprinting.

It's difficult to do sprints at this time of year though as you can't do them on a treadmill, you must be outside and it's just too fucking hot man.

Sounds like an excuse to me. Do it late in the day. Shit its light out till almost 9pm these days, and it ain't even hot at that time. Perfect time, nice weather, nice lighting, etc.

Hit 50kg for reps on barbell press, apparently I am now a novice lifter instead of untrained (lawl) according to this http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/PressStandardsKg.html and I assume thats for 1 rep instead of the 5 I done did. Going to make it my goal to hit 62.5 (which it says there is intermediate) in 2 months, I will work press about 12 times till then, I am 5 x 2.5kg weight increases away. Thats more than 2 session per increase, I have been increasing almost every session recently so should be doable. My best lift (relatively speaking) while being the least trained, must be dem Eastern European genetics for putting heavy weight overhead (see Olympic lifting, all end with weight overhead, dominated by Eastern Europe).

Also aiming to finally have good low-bar back squat form down within the next week, so much time wasted working on form, my body wasn't meant for squatting I dont think, but what can you do. I train squat every workout, plus even gone in on off days to work on the form with light weight, and have got my grip right, got bar placement right, got depth almost right, hip drive almost right, just leaning to far forward and almost good morninging the weight. Soon it will be mine turn for perfect low-bar squats.

PS high bar squats are gay.

Edited by Tesla

Tbh, it is an excuse.

Didn't go to the gym tonight either.

ffs.

Skipping sessions? Whats the problem?

Progress is the best motivator. I am like a 1 in 1000 with my inability to add muscle mass, but I still never miss a session, because I focus on increasing my lifts and thats easy. Aren't you excited to go and increase your lifts? Do you know how long I was looking forward to hitting 50kg on overhead press, and I did today, feelsgoodman. Set some numbers like that as goals, eg 50 is a nice number, and now I focus on 60 because 60 equals 1 plate on each side. On bench i am looking forward to 90kg as that equals 200 pounds. Then after that there is 100kg which is again a nice number and also represents 2 plates on each side. I find this way I am never unmotivated, in fact I can't wait till workout days.

As for cardio, just got to find a way to measure your progress and get excited to improve it too. Maybe how far you can go, or how fast you can get to a certain location, etc.

I play sports so isn't clen cheating?

Depends on sport. Footy, yes. Elite level bodybuilding and powerifting, no.

Pretty sure your trolling, but anyway the legality of it shouldn't be your first concern. The way I see it, someone lifting for a sport like footy or someone lifting for aesthetics has no reason to ever ride a bicycle.

Edited by Tesla

I use the cable machine for my bench press exercises, strengthens my core a heap but limits as to how much you can 'lift' due to the weight of the plates pulling me back. This is just what the sheila at the gym told me to do to start off.

I do this, pull down with a chin up technique (hands facing me), dumbell row, dumbell fly's for my chest and dumbell shoulder press.

Increased weight significantly in all of them but not sure how good they are for footy. This gym shit is foreign to me.

Depends on sport. Footy, yes. Elite level bodybuilding and powerifting, no.

Pretty sure your trolling, but anyway the legality of it shouldn't be your first concern. The way I see it, someone lifting for a sport like footy or someone lifting for aesthetics has no reason to ever ride a bicycle.

What?

I use the cable machine for my bench press exercises, strengthens my core a heap but limits as to how much you can 'lift' due to the weight of the plates pulling me back. This is just what the sheila at the gym told me to do to start off.

I do this, pull down with a chin up technique (hands facing me), dumbell row, dumbell fly's for my chest and dumbell shoulder press.

Increased weight significantly in all of them but not sure how good they are for footy. This gym shit is foreign to me.

Don't listen to what anyone at the gym tells you, they are generally idiots.

Do a proper bench press.

Do actual chin ups.

Any sort of flys are stupid if you ask me, but if for some reason you need to isolate your chest then i guess they are fine.

I'd also say do shoulder press with a barbell instead, at the very least it requires more effort to balance it so you will also gain in that area.

DB row is fine, but personally I do that with a barbell as well, thats just a personal preference. You might want to try it and see what you like better.

I dont know what exactly your goal would be for footy, but I assume its both size and strength, for a good mix of size and strength the big compound exercises in the 5 rep range is a proven formula thats been in use for decades and you can't really go wrong tbh.

• Like 1

Don't listen to what anyone at the gym tells you, they are generally idiots.

Do a proper bench press.

Do actual chin ups.

Any sort of flys are stupid if you ask me, but if for some reason you need to isolate your chest then i guess they are fine.

I'd also say do shoulder press with a barbell instead, at the very least it requires more effort to balance it so you will also gain in that area.

DB row is fine, but personally I do that with a barbell as well, thats just a personal preference. You might want to try it and see what you like better.

I dont know what exactly your goal would be for footy, but I assume its both size and strength, for a good mix of size and strength the big compound exercises in the 5 rep range is a proven formula thats been in use for decades and you can't really go wrong tbh.

Thanks mate, I basically have no idea what I should be doing. All I want is to put on some size and add strength, but nothing silly that will restrict me in footy terms.

Grab the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. You can't go wrong with Rippetoe when it comes to strength, the man knows his strength training. I currently have a routine similar to the Starting Strength routine just modified a bit to include some chinups and then some other things which are specific to goals I have. It will give you some size and it will definitely give you a lot of strength in no time. Just make sure you are eating enough, as long as your strength is progressing you are fine, especially if you don't want to put on too much size.

I wish I was on SS when I started, would be doing some impressive lifts by now.

Edited by Tesla

>Go out after match on Wednesday

>No longer skinniest cunt in the venue

>Bitches be mirin'

>Lads move out of my way

>Some old friends who are into athletics/rugby comment on my progress

>feelsgoodman

Thanks lads, you and /fit/ have been incredible help, I actually feel confident in my knowledge, and am seeing the results of my hard work.

• Like 1

>Go out after match on Wednesday

>No longer skinniest cunt in the venue

>Bitches be mirin'

>Lads move out of my way

>Some old friends who are into athletics/rugby comment on my progress

>feelsgoodman

Lawl, the way you wrote it reminds me of this copypasta:

-so i have to do presentation for class

-awkward as ****

-start working out

-not so awkward

-zyzz is my inspiration

-presentation again

-trembling

-just keep telling myself "i'm fawkin zeez bruh"

-get confident

-my turn

-i get up there

-start shaking uncontrollably

-start telling myself "i'm fawkin zeez bruh"

-teacher says I can start anytime

-I start off with "i'm fawkin zeez bruh"

-at this point I'm so nervous I blackout

-"i'm fawkin zeez bruh"

-repeat at least 4 more times

-look around the room, people are saying "why does he keep saying that?"

-girls start laughing

-I pass out

-hit head on the corner of teacher's desk

-minor concussion

-teacher thinks I was on drugs

-classmates call my zeezprah

-nickname eventually turns into zebra

-i haven't heard my real name in months

-haven't been this depressed since high school

Except yours has a better ending.

But seriously, sounds like nice progress. Keep us updated on how thick, solid, and tight you get. Good luck on your getting swole goals in 2012.

Edited by Tesla

*NEED. TO. GET. DIET. IN. ORDER. TO. CREATE. CALORIC. DEFICIT. AND. ENSURE. HEAVY. RESISTANCE. TRAINING. TO. MAINTAIN. LEAN. BODY. MASS. AND. RE-ASSES. UNREALISTIC. TIMEFRAME. FOR. AFOREMENTIONED. GOAL.

^This.

I'm giving myself an entire month to move from about 12% to 10%. And even then I'm not 100% sure that I'll have that down pat.

*NEED. TO. GET. DIET. IN. ORDER. TO. CREATE. CALORIC. DEFICIT. AND. ENSURE. HEAVY. RESISTANCE. TRAINING. TO. MAINTAIN. LEAN. BODY. MASS. AND. RE-ASSES. UNREALISTIC. TIMEFRAME. FOR. AFOREMENTIONED. GOAL.

Saw him eating a massive kebab on Sunday at the NYL game.

Sort your diet out, young man!

brb, getting my knee checked at the physio after smashing Micha in the kickaround. Goooooo medial collateral!

What do you use to track your intake?

Do you weight all your meals?

Yes I weight it, and then check packet for macros or online if its meat or fruit etc., and chuck it into a spreadsheet (tried myfitnesspal and didnt like it, havent looked for another app so just use a spreadsheet). And yeah I do it for every meal usually, though obviously not always possible when eating out so estimation does come into it

Great article on building muscle for beginners. Everyone here should read it before posting, no matter how "advanced" they are:

http://www.greatist.com/fitness/the-beginners-guide-to-building-muscle/#

The genetic potential part is interesting, especially since they say its based off of your frame/joints/etc. whereas I would have though its more based off of levels of testosterone, cortisol and all those other hormones (though obviously a taller person would be able to gain more muscle mass), since its possible to go past genetic limit with steroids. Also the part about how much muscle can be gained realistically, there definitely seems to be a lot of cases of people who have gained more than 25lb in 1st year, but I guess whats possible with above average genetics is obviously higher than what is average.

Edited by Tesla

Saw him eating a massive kebab on Sunday at the NYL game.

Sort your diet out, young man!

brb, getting my knee checked at the physio after smashing Micha in the kickaround. Goooooo medial collateral!

Used my unlimited cardio to run all day at the post NYL kickaround, then did an intense pre-season session tonight. Still near the fittest at my club and missed an entire week with absolutely zero exercise.

Based off my current VO2 max (Coopers test + Yo-Yo intermittant test) I'm sitting on about middle-lower range professional athlete. Going to hopefully push it up a bit by the end of pre-season, but I'm not sure how much more improvement I've got in me.

25 lbs (~11 kg) of pure muscle is a shit ton! Scale weight is often higher, but I'd be surprised if someone (aside from outliers) truly gained much more than that.

Of course, these are averages, if you do a regression analysis ;) you will see that some will achieve over that, some under that.

Hormone levels will affect things like how quickly one gains, whether they are closer to the upper limit of muscle gain or the lower limit, strength levels and the level of leanness that is easily/naturally maintained.

Also, muscle attachments will affect how big someone looks and how much muscle that person can gain. Muscle increases in volume, so an extra cm of muscle belly length greatly increases the potential size of the muscle. Also, if you have short attachments, you will have to gain more weight to appear as large as someone with more favourable bone structure and muscle attachments.

Edited by tachycardia
  • Like 1

25 lbs (~11 kg) of pure muscle is a shit ton! Scale weight is often higher, but I'd be surprised if someone (aside from outliers) truly gained much more than that.

Of course, these are averages, if you do a regression analysis ;) you will see that some will achieve over that, some under that.

Hormone levels will affect things like how quickly one gains, whether they are closer to the upper limit of muscle gain or the lower limit, strength levels and the level of leanness that is easily/naturally maintained.

Also, muscle attachments will affect how big someone looks and how much muscle that person can gain. Muscle increases in volume, so an extra cm of muscle belly length greatly increases the potential size of the muscle. Also, if you have short attachments, you will have to gain more weight to appear as large as someone with more favourable bone structure and muscle attachments.

In summary:

Genetics is key.

I did the Cooper test just prior to Xmas and just managed to hit 'Good' for experienced athletes, which is just on 3.4kms. I think I was just under though, so I've got a bit of work to do.

Getting to that magical 3.7kms is only another lap of the hockey field. How hard can it be, right?