Melbourne Football

Matchday 16: v Perth - Saturday 25th January 7.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

This is a difficult match but one we really need to win. Probably an unchanged XI for this one, although one change is obviously Susaeta for Wales but I’m not sure about his fitness. I figure we’ll be conservative with him and try to get him peaking for the end of the season. Maybe a new signing in Jack Hendry but doubt he’ll start. 

This will be tough. Perth have the best team in the league I believe, they have the best creative midfielder, in league the best central defender in league and a striker we know can score goals

I can see them doing a repeat of last time and sitting back and absorb pressure and hit on counter

We have to be at our best to win, which sadly we havnt been at too often when we reach one of these type of games 

• Sad 1

What I hope we learnt from the last time we played them is how to break down their system. They choked the middle and sat back with five defenders, which is something they do against other teams. We were unable to break them down last time because our ball movement was too slow and they pressed with intensity. It’s an interesting way of defending because they are always defensively compact and don’t give you much time but if you can get past the first line then it’s generally a pretty clear run at their last line.  

What is different this time around is our midfield. Luna and Berenguer will give us more scope to actually play through the middle and avoid the same mistakes last time of going wide or going long, which plays into their hands. Atkinson is more creative than Galloway so that gives us another avenue. Susaeta will get minutes and his ability to link up will be vital. Noone is in better form too. 

Will be a cracker. 

Based on recent form and our history against them, I don't expect us to win. They will take advantage of our brain fades and score at least one, while we will struggle to break them down.

A win would be great, but I'd take a draw. 

If we lose, I hope we show some spirit and keep fighting till the end. The 3-0 loss against them last month was a disgrace.

Melbourne City FC squad: 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 3.Scott JAMIESON (c), 4.Harrison DELBRIDGE, 5.Jack HENDRY, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Rostyn GRIFFITHS, 9.Jamie MACLAREN, 10.Florin BERENGUER 11.Craig NOONE, 13.Nathaniel ATKINSON, 14.Markel SUSAETA 19.Lachlan WALES, 20.Adrian LUNA, 22.Curtis GOOD, 23.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 36.Kerrin STOKES, 38.Yaya DUKULY, 39.Idrus ABDULAHI, 46.Joe GAUCI (gk), 49.Stefan COLAKOVSKI

**2-3 to be omitted**

Ins: 2.Scott GALLOWAY (returns from injury), 5.Jack HENDRY (new signing)

Outs: nil

Unavailable: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk) (international duty), 17.Denis GENREAU (international duty), 21.Ramy NAJJARINE (international duty), 34.Connor METCALFE (international duty), 40.Richard WINDBICHLER (hamstring)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Lowest attendance all season, with A open next door.. pretty silly to not announce the "free entry for all aus open ticket holders" 

In all honesty and I know it's different but i was pretty pissed off being a member and seeing "buying a Quarter Pounder from Maccas gets u a chance to get a free City Ticket" last season. It honestly it felt like a slap in the face when members are paying up to $1500, also as well the 3 game memberships which included a jersey was also a slap in the face as well.

Aussie Open or not  I don't want plastics there just because it's free. I would be pretty pissed off if that was the case

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx

55 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

In all honesty and I know it's different but i was pretty pissed off being a member and seeing "buying a Quarter Pounder from Maccas gets u a chance to get a free City Ticket" last season. It honestly it felt like a slap in the face when members are paying up to $1500, also as well the 3 game memberships which included a jersey was also a slap in the face as well.

Aussie Open or not  I don't want plastics there just because it's free. I would be pretty pissed off if that was the case

I'm afraid you're just going to have to put up with it. These sorts of offers come every season. You buy a season ticket for various reasons - convenience, loyalty, you like your seat, etc. etc.

I doubt that these offers ever do much more than attract a few hundred spectators, and I also doubt that they result in more members. Even when people are given memberships, if they're not really interested then they won't attend, as evidenced by our current membership total and our actual attendances.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm afraid you're just going to have to put up with it. These sorts of offers come every season. You buy a season ticket for various reasons - convenience, loyalty, you like your seat, etc. etc.

I doubt that these offers ever do much more than attract a few hundred spectators, and I also doubt that they result in more members. Even when people are given memberships, if they're not really interested then they won't attend, as evidenced by our current membership total and our actual attendances.

I always look at it as a chance to convert a soccer sceptic, for lack of a better word. I’m sure there are quite a few people out there who have always wanted to try the soccer but have never gone, but when this opportunity comes up they decide to do it because it’s so easy. The hope is that we convert a few of them into fans and then members. 

At this point, why would we not try these kinds of things? We can barely pull 6K to a double header on a Saturday night, we might as well try these types of promotions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

I always look at it as a chance to convert a soccer sceptic, for lack of a better word. I’m sure there are quite a few people out there who have always wanted to try the soccer but have never gone, but when this opportunity comes up they decide to do it because it’s so easy. The hope is that we convert a few of them into fans and then members. 

At this point, why would we not try these kinds of things? We can barely pull 6K to a double header on a Saturday night, we might as well try these types of promotions. 

Oh, I quite agree. We have to keep trying to promote the club and the game itself. My doubt is whether free tickets have any substantive effect. IMO it would be far better to promote loyalty from a member once he or she joins up, and then what the club does for them will spread by word of mouth. Simple things like junior members receiving a birthday card signed by their favourite player. Lucky number programs. A lucky member's draw each home match. A proper fan-representative group. Old-fashioned shit I know but it's proven to work.

Unpopular opinion: Double headers don't attract me at all. No way I'm going to sit at AAMI Park for that long.

Anyway, we should transfer this discussion to another thread.

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 1