Melbourne Football

Newcastle Jest

KSK_47

On 16/04/2017 at 0:13 PM, jw1739 said:

Mark Jones dumped by Newcastle. Appointed September 2016, sacked April 2017.
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/club-statement-newcastle-jets-part-ways-with-mark-jones/g2ifppau5wo216zvhidbvowtk

That announcement includes the comment that the assistant (Zane) will take training. They are still training? Why?

I remember in the horrible Aloisi era we trained on after the season was over, then released most of the squad.

Surely doing something this pointless is a sign of a horse and buggy outfit.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

That announcement includes the comment that the assistant (Zane) will take training. They are still training? Why?

I remember in the horrible Aloisi era we trained on after the season was over, then released most of the squad.

Surely doing something this pointless is a sign of a horse and buggy outfit.

I'd assume players are still under contract till June(?), so why would the club be wanting to pay players who arn't training. That's my view atleast.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Contracts are until 31st May unless otherwise specified.

Jets have signed O'Donovan from Central Coast.

This is great for the league, should add a little bit of spice to what's become a really boring 'derby'

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Not a bad move imo. He's not going to win them a title, buthe should at least be able to make them respectful

I thought similar when he started at Wellington. He could be past his use by date.

Surprised that Merrick was first choice, but hope he does alright.  Newcastle can't afford to keep fucking the head coaching position up.

22 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

What is with this league and recycling shit coaches?

Its clear that the league has gone past merrick now, just another bad decision by this mob :droy:

Tbh, I don't think the recycling is that bad.  

Of the coaches this season just gone, Okon and Jones were first timers.  Popovic and JvS were foundation managers for their respective clubs (iirc not many had a massive issue with JvS when he came back particularly given the circumstances when took his first break for family reasons), Muscat came through playing and then coaching at the tards, while Lowe and Amor came in from abroad.

From whose left, Merrick and Arnold have proven pedigree through what they've won in the comp; only Aloisi was baffling, and even then he does have the positive marketing element from that penalty in 2005.

Merrick did poorly at Wellington, but the so did Postecoglou whilst U20s and U23s coach with the Socceroos (after success with South Melbourne in the NSL). 

Merrick isn't going to guide Newcastle to a title anytime soon but  that shouldn't be their immediate goal at the moment anyway

Newcastle just needed someone to come in, stabilize their club and make them moderately competitive as soon as possible, Ernie will do that IMO. Once they achieve that for a couple of seasons then they can start to aim higher.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Embee said:

Merrick isn't going to guide Newcastle to a title anytime soon but  that shouldn't be their immediate goal at the moment anyway

Newcastle just needed someone to come in, stabilize their club and make them moderately competitive as soon as possible, Ernie will do that IMO. Once they achieve that for a couple of seasons then they can start to aim higher.

I doubt he will do that. First, the Jets were hit hard early on with injuries but when their key players came back they were competitive and were bidding for a spot in the six. Then something happened internally and the players lost their cohesion and thereafter were as competitive as Melbourne City. If the club owners are meddling in football then perhaps no one can save the Jets because as far as I can tell Asian club owners have very different ideas as to how clubs work.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I doubt he will do that. First, the Jets were hit hard early on with injuries but when their key players came back they were competitive and were bidding for a spot in the six. Then something happened internally and the players lost their cohesion and thereafter were as competitive as Melbourne City. If the club owners are meddling in football then perhaps no one can save the Jets because as far as I can tell Asian club owners have very different ideas as to how clubs work.

I don't see why not to be honest. I don't quite understand how it's become fashionable to think that Merrick is a useless coach at this level, he's had more good season's than bad and from all reports was extremely well liked by his Wellington players which would suggest to me he can build a cohesive culture.

If I was a Newcastle fan I'd prefer to see someone like Ernie with a solid track record in this league rather than a rookie like Kewell or an unproven 'name' coach like Teddy Sheringham who they'd been linked with previously.

Edited by Embee

12 hours ago, Embee said:

I don't see why not to be honest. I don't quite understand how it's become fashionable to think that Merrick is a useless coach at this level, he's had more good season's than bad and from all reports was extremely well liked by his Wellington players which would suggest to me he can build a cohesive culture.

If I was a Newcastle fan I'd prefer to see someone like Ernie with a solid track record in this league rather than a rookie like Kewell or an unproven 'name' coach like Teddy Sheringham who they'd been linked with previously.

I was referring to the stabilizing of the team. The team were competitive once they got over their injury woes but something happened in the last six weeks. It could be that Jones lost the players but I am thinking that the owners began interfering. If owners interfere without any background in football then the teams suffers.

Merrick's overall record for the A-League is 100 wins in 241 matches for a win percentage of 41.49. If he can do that at Newcastle then that's good enough to take the club to finish somewhere in the range 3rd-6th.

The challenge for the league seems to be whether any of the remaining eight clubs can develop the right mentality to regularly mount a serious challenge for silverware as Sydney and Victory appear to have done. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Merrick's overall record for the A-League is 100 wins in 241 matches for a win percentage of 41.49. If he can do that at Newcastle then that's good enough to take the club to finish somewhere in the range 3rd-6th.

The challenge for the league seems to be whether any of the remaining eight clubs can develop the right mentality to regularly mount a serious challenge for silverware as Sydney and Victory appear to have done. 

Not sure how much of that is mentality or size of the wallet 

• 7 months later...

Merrick to go window shopping after O’Donovan blow

"While Caltex Socceroos legend Tim Cahill is available after leaving Melbourne City, Merrick all but ruled out a play for Australia’s all-time leading goalscorer.

“Tim will probably go overseas I would think. Tim’s a very good player. He’s not the type of player we actually want in our side.

“He’s an excellent player. He’ll have no trouble finding a club.”

ha ha Timmy 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, n i k o said:

It was one of the worst things I've seen in the aleague. Well within the right range I reckon. 

The outcome may have been, but the 'crime' wasn't, I fail to see how this is anywhere near as bad as, say, Muscats tackle on Zahra where Muscat's aim was to get Zahra. 

Odonovon had his leg up in the air before tge keeper was moving forward and was looking the other way. If you watch it in slow motion it even looks he has tried to pull his leg back at the last second, though it only made it worse.

I dunno, I appear to be in the minority in regards to this incident, however I just see a large difference berween reckless behaviour and malicious intent. 

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, malloy said:

The outcome may have been, but the 'crime' wasn't, I fail to see how this is anywhere near as bad as, say, Muscats tackle on Zahra where Muscat's aim was to get Zahra. 

Odonovon had his leg up in the air before tge keeper was moving forward and was looking the other way. If you watch it in slow motion it even looks he has tried to pull his leg back at the last second, though it only made it worse.

I dunno, I appear to be in the minority in regards to this incident, however I just see a large difference berween reckless behaviour and malicious intent. 

I'd have to look at it again but I don't remember him trying to pull his leg away. I saw him take his eye off the ball well before it arrived and follow up with the studs to LT head. It's not as bad as Muscats in terms of intent but the gravity of the recklessness could have been significantly worse than what happened to Zahra. I see what you're saying though. Guess you could look at it from two different angles and that's probably where our point of difference is. 

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

I'd have to look at it again but I don't remember him trying to pull his leg away. I saw him take his eye off the ball well before it arrived and follow up with the studs to LT head. It's not as bad as Muscats in terms of intent but the gravity of the recklessness could have been significantly worse than what happened to Zahra. I see what you're saying though. Guess you could look at it from two different angles and that's probably where our point of difference is. 

I thought 10 was a bit on the heavy side, perhaps 8 closer to the mark. But it was a very reckless attempt to get the ball and had to be dealt with severely.

Muscat was a very different affair. His punishment was just woefully inadequate. You can see the intent to maim Zahra when he's yards away from actual contact. IMO he should have been banned from any involvement with football for life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I thought 10 was a bit on the heavy side, perhaps 8 closer to the mark. But it was a very reckless attempt to get the ball and had to be dealt with severely.

Muscat was a very different affair. His punishment was just woefully inadequate. You can see the intent to maim Zahra when he's yards away from actual contact. IMO he should have been banned from any involvement with football for life.

The counter arguement to the Muscat tackle is that they gave him 8 weeks only because it would rule him out of the rest of the season where he would end up retiring from football. 

The worst thing about the suspension for me is that an arguably genuine attempt at winning the ball gets more than double that of a coach running onto the field of play and laying hands an on a player whilst the game is still on.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Embee said:

The worst thing about the suspension for me is that an arguably genuine attempt at winning the ball gets more than double that of a coach running onto the field of play and laying hands an on a player whilst the game is still on.

I wonder...does the Committee have a "scale of seriousness" that it can refer to? The one that always gets me is Connor Chapman's four matches for making contact with a referee.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Embee said:

Talking in more general terms it frustrates me that incidents that are clearly not attempts to win the ball dont attract additional punishment. To me these should be dealt with much more severely but in fact often they just get a wink and a nod.

In regards to ODononvan I haven’t watched it over and over, but from memory it looked like say a 30/70 chance to get the ball. With the game on the line he went for it anyway and completely cleaned up Thomas, which was a predictable outcome.

Deserves a stiff suspension no doubt. 10 weeks? Not sure. That’s a lot, but it was pretty nasty. It’s just unfortunate that previous incidents haven’t been looked at it in the same light.

• Like 1

Wout Brama's 2 week ban for his leg breaker challenge on Corey Gameiro set the precedent for lenient bans, then they dish out 10 weeks out of nowhere. Everyone involved in FFA from Gallop down to the tea lady needs to be replaced. I can't think of one thing they've done right in the past 12 months.

9 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Wout Brama's 2 week ban for his leg breaker challenge on Corey Gameiro set the precedent for lenient bans, then they dish out 10 weeks out of nowhere. Everyone involved in FFA from Gallop down to the tea lady needs to be replaced. I can't think of one thing they've done right in the past 12 months.

I remember watching that tackle live, was that really only 2 weeks?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
33 minutes ago, Harrison said:

After last night's victory, Jets go through to the ACL play-off round and come up against Kashima Antlers.

Tough away match but Kashima are in their off-season so it's a great chance to make it through to group stage. 

I find this whole subject painful. It could have been us...