Melbourne Football

Welcome Markel Susaeta

kingofhearts

My concern on him is that he seems to get knocked off the ball too easily. Looks like he has come from a league where as soon as you go down, you get a foul. 

Also, a couple of times he's looked through on goal and where you'd expect a quick player to go all the way, he's stopped and doubled back. Maybe that's a result of the above or perhaps he's still not there fitness wise and has slowed down.

Both him and Noone seem to lack pace. Also both coming from higher league have issues with the physicality of the A League, Noone also gets pushed of the ball easily. All very similar, except Markels crosses and corners are much better. Perhaps that’s why we look stale going forward?

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

At the moment none of the front three look dangerous. The quick, dangerous interplay between them isn’t there and against a back 5 it’s so important. 

Susaeta is a class above in his skill and intelligence but it doesn’t always translate into output. 

The lack of pace is a bit of an issue though. 

2 hours ago, haz said:

He reminds me of Colazo (the dude with the nice wife). He's got the technique Etc but jesus he doesn't do much else.

Colazo was a class above Susaeta. IIRC he scored 4-5 goals for us and was stricken with a ruptured eardrum for some of the time he was with us - which is a debilitating condition.

For me, Susaeta is a huge disappointment, as is Noone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Colazo was a class above Susaeta. IIRC he scored 4-5 goals for us and was stricken with a ruptured eardrum for some of the time he was with us - which is a debilitating condition.

For me, Susaeta is a huge disappointment, as is Noone.

Yea that is true.

Agree, Noone is hopeless

He's been ok - it still hasn't been nearly long enough for us to make a definitive statement imo, and people seem to be forgetting just how good he was in the derby a few weeks ago. 

I would definitely hold off on signing him as a marquee player until we see more though, sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Both him and Noone seem to lack pace. Also both coming from higher league have issues with the physicality of the A League, Noone also gets pushed of the ball easily. All very similar, except Markels crosses and corners are much better. Perhaps that’s why we look stale going forward?

Noone has been a huge let down this season and Markels is following in his footsteps... 

12 hours ago, bt50 said:

Shown enough for me to try to sign long term, but not worthy of a marquee slot on current showings for me

Won’t be any marquees  next year all 5 visas are outside the cap. We have 2 vacant spots for next season 

Edited by CityBoyz

31 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Won’t be any marquees  next year all 5 visas are outside the cap. We have 2 vacant spots for next season 

Maclaren? He's not a visa player and is one of our current marquees. I don't think this "marquee" issue has been thought through yet.

2 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

That is just accounting. Remember that right now marquee means outside teh salary cap.

I think you might be missing JW's point. If the visa players are the only ones outside the cap then potentially a very highly paid Aussie's could cause a team to be outside the cap when under the current (and more strict) rules they would not be outside the cap and not cause any issues.  e.g. a $1M a season Aussie brought inside the cap for four $200k a season visa players.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, malloy said:

I think you might be missing JW's point. If the visa players are the only ones outside the cap then potentially a very highly paid Aussie's could cause a team to be outside the cap when under the current (and more strict) rules they would not be outside the cap and not cause any issues.  e.g. a $1M a season Aussie brought inside the cap for four $200k a season visa players.

My bad. Got it. And I think JW may be right.

That was indeed my point. Also, it's not fair to bring in such a change when some clubs have already got both marquee and visa players under contracts for next season. At least one season notice should be given for such a change. Indeed for any change in the cap situation.

I think he's a very good footballer, but not quite a game changer or a player who generates numbers. He finds nice pockets of space and is very intelligent on and off the ball. With some more productive, direct players in the final third (ie. not Craig Noone) alongside him he could be quite damaging.

If we can get an explosive, impact type on the other wing then I'd be very interested in keeping him as a non-marquee player.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

He is a solid player who is getting better each week as he acclimatises to Australia 

The thing that hasn't helped fan expectation was whoever said he is our Castro. He isn't at that level at the moment, but that's not to say he isn't a good footballer

2 hours ago, Embee said:

I think he's a very good footballer, but not quite a game changer or a player who generates numbers. He finds nice pockets of the space and is very intelligent on and off the ball. With some more productive, direct players in the final third (ie. not Craig Noone) alongside him he could be quite damaging.

If we can get an explosive, impact type on the other wing then I'd be very interested in keeping him as a non-marquee player.

Agree. I'm more confident of my opinion of him a month ago in that he was never the kind of player to dominate games. But he is a very effective cog in our front third. I too would be keen to keep him, also as a non marquee player. 

• 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Sad, yes, but as others have said, he didn't really have the impact that his CV would suggest he should have. 

I think if the season was unaffected by COVID we would have seen vast improvement.

I think it can be an issue for players coming over here to 'drop down' a level in terms of the basic buildup play and ball movement of Australian teams. As a general statement I find that Australian teams tend to be more reactive in how we play as opposed to thinking three or four passes ahead.

I think this was evident with Sibon (who had to drop into attacking midfield to provide the service that he himself should have been getting), Tadic (whose runs and movement was never recognised by team mates to be able to provide adequate service to him). I think it was also evident with Kewell when he first played in the A-League with Victory and it seemed that he was a few too many steps ahead of the rest of his team mates and it took him a bit of time to adapt to that level.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, malloy said:

I think if the season was unaffected by COVID we would have seen vast improvement.

I think it can be an issue for players coming over here to 'drop down' a level in terms of the basic buildup play and ball movement of Australian teams. As a general statement I find that Australian teams tend to be more reactive in how we play as opposed to thinking three or four passes ahead.

I think this was evident with Sibon (who had to drop into attacking midfield to provide the service that he himself should have been getting), Tadic (whose runs and movement was never recognised by team mates to be able to provide adequate service to him). I think it was also evident with Kewell when he first played in the A-League with Victory and it seemed that he was a few too many steps ahead of the rest of his team mates and it took him a bit of time to adapt to that level.

Absolutely. Technically and tactically well behind our European counterparts. We have tended to value running hard and giving a lot of effort. 

Edited by n i k o

On 14/07/2020 at 1:37 PM, malloy said:

Perhaps I expect too much, but I honestly think that this is a bit of an excuse for performing below expectations. I think a player who has played over 300 matches for Bilbao ought to be able to adapt very quickly to a different style and pace of play. He looked physically under par to me, and perhaps that was a factor counting against him. I'm sad to see him go, but I don't think he played up to his pedigree.

• Like 3