Melbourne Football

Welcome Markel Susaeta

kingofhearts

The other thing is, that tis his unambiguously the first signing we've made under the influence of Le Patron. If this is the type of player Mombaerts can get for us, long may he reign (although I wouldn't have minded if Bielsa had left Leeds to follow Susaeta here).

9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

To say nothing of his ability to adapt to Australian football, at least he’s a proper La Liga player. 

Our first, since Aloisi (the player), although I'd rate Athletic above Osasuna (also a Basque club BTW)

Edited by belaguttman

9 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The other thing is, that tis his unambiguously the first signing we've made under the influence of Le Patron. If this is the type of player Mombaerts can get for us, long may he reign (although I wouldn't have minded if Bielsa had left Leeds to follow Susaeta here).

Our first, since Aloisi (the player), although I'd rate Athletic above Osasuna (also a Basque club BTW)

But remember that we wanted Susaeta back in July. So if we wanted him then, either we assume that Mombaerts had a say in the other signings or he didn’t. 

Tbh i think Petrillo is the main man when it comes to signings. No doubt the coaches etc have some input and might even make the final decision, but everything ive heard and read points to him being in the driver's seat in terms of the start to finish process.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Tbh i think Petrillo is the main man when it comes to signings. No doubt the coaches etc have some input and might even make the final decision, but everything ive heard and read points to him being in the driver's seat in terms of the start to finish process.

Yep spot on. Petrillo is in charge of signings he is the classic Football director which all clubs have now. Managers say who they want but Petrillo is the one who shortlists and brokers the deal. 

Edited by CityBoyz

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

But remember that we wanted Susaeta back in July. So if we wanted him then, either we assume that Mombaerts had a say in the other signings or he didn’t. 

True, but we've selected him now. I don't know whether was ahead of behind Rojas in the scouting list, but he's no journeyman. I can't imagine Petrillo signing a player that Mombaerts didn't want

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

He may have, but now that he's been here half a season, he understands the list that he has, and the list that he wants. If it was wazza, he'd be signing another CB

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

True, but we've selected him now. I don't know whether was ahead of behind Rojas in the scouting list, but he's no journeyman. I can't imagine Petrillo signing a player that Mombaerts didn't want

He may have, but now that he's been here half a season, he understands the list that he has, and the list that he wants. If it was wazza, he'd be signing another CB

We sortve need a little bit of defensive cover lol

2 minutes ago, IssySG said:

Eh, I mean it can't be that bad

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 1.25.05 pm.png

Yeah, from what I read he wanted to be a Bilbao player for life so was understandably disappointed when his time was up. ..the fact that he chose to play in Japan and now Australia so he would never play against his old side shows the respect he has.

5 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

I guess people don't have a sense of humor on this forum and take shit too seriously 

Anyway, good signing from La Liga should provide opportunities for Jamie

A tip here mate... most people do have a sense of humour, but you may need to brush up on what being funny actually is....

7 minutes ago, rass said:

A tip here mate... most people do have a sense of humour, but you may need to brush up on what being funny actually is....

Yeah I get bagging our players for being shit is pretty funny but having a bit of mucking and making a meme isn't. Being all like if u do that again your banned, cmon man have a bit of banter once in a few years. 

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx

22 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Yeah I get bagging our players for being shit is pretty funny but having a bit of mucking and making a meme isn't. Being all like if u do that again your banned, cmon man have a bit of banter once in a few years. 

Rass never bags players and is always Mr reasonable, bagging players and club is my job!

Edited by Mr MO

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Rass never bags players and is always Mr reasonable, bagging players and club is my job!

Not really saying rass bags the players because we all do even me, I think Wales is a joke. But I point was the thing I made was a joke. Maybe it's because most people are older here but my uni mates and other mates found it funny. Let's just drop it.

Nah but what a signing though

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx

Don't think the Facebook users quite understand the significance of acquiring this player.

Bilbao is a pretty legit club and he has earned cult status for his commitment to that club his entire career. I'd say he is too good for the A-League from the pedigree he delivers on paper and we should embrace his presence at every game he appears in. He didn't have to come here and could be playing elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Presumably, this is his audition for a marquee contract next season. He's here with his family so it's not just a temporary gaunt for a few months

Yep i got the impression he was very interested in staying long term if the shoe fits so to speak.

27 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Presumably, this is his audition for a marquee contract next season. He's here with his family so it's not just a temporary gaunt for a few months

Yeah I thought that was interesting. Whereas some players that were here for the season didn’t bring their families. Anyway, I think you’re right, it’s a smart thing to do for player and Club. Let’s see if he lives up to the hype. 

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Presumably, this is his audition for a marquee contract next season. He's here with his family so it's not just a temporary jaunt for a few months

Given his pedigree I’d say we (the club, the supporters, the city) are the ones doing the auditioning.

Lets make him welcome.

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

Why wasn't he given 15 to 20 minutes? One opportunity to show something and he laid it on a plate for JMac, who should have had a second. I would probably play him behind Jmac to begin with in the next game. We need someone who can create in the midfield.

Judging by his movement he's about 50% fit at this stage. If he had 15-20 minutes he would have gassed about 10 minutes in and potentially injured himself. 

Interestingly overseas players usually comment how players just run run run here often without thinking. Markel already showed an brief example of how a player knows when to run and when not to run. Compared to our players who look like dogs chasing their own tails sometimes. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, silva10 said:

Why wasn't he given 15 to 20 minutes? One opportunity to show something and he laid it on a plate for JMac, who should have had a second. I would probably play him behind Jmac to begin with in the next game. We need someone who can create in the midfield.

Looked unfit to me, not only as a footballer but as a person generally. "Pale and wan" is the expression I would use.

• Like 1