Melbourne Football

Welcome Markel Susaeta

kingofhearts

8 minutes ago, haz said:

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/melbourne-city-fc-signs-forward-markel-susaeta

Media release reads like a loan. @Bob Latchford you know any more details?

Any bets on when he gets admitted to the Germano Treatment Centre?

Loan makes sense in terms of fitting him under the cap for the remainder of the season. Probably an option to buy i'd say if he's as good as we hope he will be.

I think a telling quote from Davutovic article

City tried to sign Susaeta six months ago, before his brief spell with Japanese side Gamba Osaka.

Given the context with Rojas etc.

To give the club credit. What is it? Over 500 LaLiga appearances? Under the cap? Fuck me

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

Just now, mjake1234 said:

Don't know him. Is this an improvement on Rojas?

On paper, 1000%. Over 500 appearances for Athletic Bilbao in La Liga, Europa, Copa Del Rey and Champo. The key factor is that he's not played here before and Rojas has, and Rojas has done well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Interesting that the clubs twitter account announced him as our “first” January signing. More to come?

me likey

4 minutes ago, bt50 said:

On paper, 1000%. Over 500 appearances for Athletic Bilbao in La Liga, Europa, Copa Del Rey and Champo. The key factor is that he's not played here before and Rojas has, and Rojas has done well.

Probaly equal chances of pissing off at the end of the season too 😂

Edited by haz

19 minutes ago, Dylan said:

To give the club credit. What is it? Over 500 LaLiga appearances? Under the cap? Fuck me

This. Just 32 as well. It might lack sophistication but I think “Fuck Me” is the only possible description of this signing. 

How many better credentialed players have been in the A League? You could count them on one hand.

Anyone still wondering if the club lacks ambition?

Happy Days!

• Like 2

Another bombshell in the Davutovic article.

Melbourne City believe they have unearthed the A-League’s new Diego Castro, signing Athletic Bilbao legend Markel Susaeta.

@Bob Latchford is Pertillo

1 minute ago, Shahanga said:

This. Just 32 as well. It might lack sophistication but I think “Fuck Me” is the only possible description of this signing. 

How many better credentialed players have been in the A League? You could count them on one hand.

Anyone still wondering if the club lacks ambition?

Happy Days!

Shaza you should well know by now the forum yard stick for ambition is sacking every player after a bad game and sacking the coach and even the entire club after a loss

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nate said:

wow, what a signing. 

can't fault the club for this one, very ambitious and won't even be that upset if he doesn't turn out to be a world beater - I'm just glad we've finally had a decent go at signing a visa player with a good pedigree.

Absolutely. Top signing. What we've been waiting for since the heady days of Bruno, Mooy and Harry N.  We're having a go at last!

12 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

If he can play well outside Bilbao  and Spain then he is a major improvement. 

You mean, if he can play well outside of the Basque region as well as Spain. Very good signing on paper. This is the type of Visa player than I was expecting. we still need a good playmaker though, as well as a fit Windbicher, then we'll match the smurfs

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Id be curious to know why it didnt work at Osaka. From the articles I found there was alot of 'could not work his way into first XI'

Asked a mate whose a J-League fan and said he was stuck behind two Japanese internationals - Ideguchi + Kurata, described it as Gamba's strongest position on the park. NFI how reliable that is or if it means anything.

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Id be curious to know why it didnt work at Osaka. From the articles I found there was alot of 'could not work his way into first XI'

New country, not given much time to settle, language?

The J-League is a step above the A-League so hopefully he can adapt better here.

The difference between him and say Koren is Susaeta has played the bulk of his football at the top level in Spain. Koren was mostly a Championship-level player, Berenguer a Ligue 2-level player. 

To say nothing of his ability to adapt to Australian football, at least he’s a proper La Liga player.