Melbourne Football

Matchday 15: v Newcastle - Saturday 18th January 7.30pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

The match day experience over the last 2 seasons is due to the failings and destruction of Joyce and Munn.

Last week was the first match where I consistantly heard some real optimism from the supporters around me for a very long time.

Maybe, just maybe we are on the up and supporters are starting to sense it which is changing the feel of the matchday experience.

Also, the sense of anticipation of Susaeta coming on was electric, which is exactly what a world class player does.

If this continues there is no doubt that the whole stadium will follow the lead of the actives as was the case in the Mooy Novillo Bruno era.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

But they still made a lot of noise and created atmosphere. These guys should get discounted membership. Keep it up.

Sure I get that. I’d still like to know why such an alarming drop off in numbers? This is not a dig at the people who run it now who ever they are, id just like to know if there are any reasons besides the general drop off in our crowds

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

The match day experience over the last 2 seasons is due to the failings and destruction of Joyce and Munn.

Last week was the first match where I consistantly heard some real optimism from the supporters around me for a very long time.

Maybe, just maybe we are on the up and supporters are starting to sense it which is changing the feel of the matchday experience.

Also, the sense of anticipation of Susaeta coming on was electric, which is exactly what a world class player does.

If this continues there is no doubt that the whole stadium will follow the lead of the actives as was the case in the Mooy Novillo Bruno era.

I agree with you that the sense of enjoyment has begun to come back, and I sense this has a lot to do with a new style of play, and that we are moving in the right direction. For me the best match in terms of atmosphere was the red and white anniversary against CCM, but it also looks as if the stands are that little bit fuller since then. Susaeta feels like a clear statement of intent that City are going for it, and capable of signing genuinely good players. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Sure I get that. I’d still like to know why such an alarming drop off in numbers? This is not a dig at the people who run it now who ever they are, id just like to know if there are any reasons besides the general drop off in our crowds

I suggest that this is quite simple really. The club does not resonate with the people of Melbourne as a Melbourne club. Whether or not CFG set out to destroy what identity we had or not, what they have done is just that, and the new identity doesn't attract the people of Melbourne. And neither do the people who remain see any prospect of CFG changing its decisions about that identity.

There are other factors too, but I contend that that remains the single biggest reason.

Even the supporters who attend are less passionate about the club than 2-3 seasons ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I suggest that this is quite simple really. The club does not resonate with the people of Melbourne as a Melbourne club. Whether or not CFG set out to destroy what identity we had or not, what they have done is just that, and the new identity doesn't attract the people of Melbourne. And neither do the people who remain see any prospect of CFG changing its decisions about that identity.

There are other factors too, but I contend that that remains the single biggest reason.

Even the supporters who attend are less passionate about the club than 2-3 seasons ago.

Petition to rename the club to 'The Melbourne Laneway Cafe and Smashed Avos'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Colours. When we played in red and white it felt like we had rolled back the years and we belonged again. One simple change would be a huge statement that we matter and that we are heard. Until then, it's never going to feel quite right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Colours. When we played in red and white it felt like we had rolled back the years and we belonged again. One simple change would be a huge statement that we matter and that we are heard. Until then, it's never going to feel quite right. 

If we make the Gf vs Sydney we should wear the red and white kit over the white one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

It was so noticeable at the anniversary game wasn’t it?

Felt like we had our club back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

What CFG/the club just doesn't "get" is that continuing on with shitty blue says the opposite - that we don't matter and that we're not being listened to.

My annoyance with it all is that I just cannot see that having Melbourne City in shitty blue does anything positive for CFG/"the brand" at all.

Still, this is all a bit like dreaming of an old love affair. Better realise it's over!

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

What CFG/the club just doesn't "get" is that continuing on with shitty blue says the opposite - that we don't matter and that we're not being listened to.

My annoyance with it all is that I just cannot see that having Melbourne City in shitty blue does anything positive for CFG/"the brand" at all.

Still, this is all a bit like dreaming of an old love affair. Better realise it's over!

CFG understand we don’t connect with blue but branding is a long term strategy. In 10 years kids will be in their teens and will have only known city as blue and make the connection to other CFG teams. Hell, Im plastic as fuck and follow NYCFC and Manchester City.