Melbourne Football

Friday 31 August Lismore, NSW - Melbourne Heart vs Western Sydney Wanderers

Murfy1

Heart's pre-season heads North

Monday, 27 August 2012 4:34 PM

Melbourne Heart embarked on its pre-season camp to northern New South Wales on Sunday, arriving in Lismore as it gears up to meet newly-established A-League side Western Sydney Wanderers on Friday night.

Lismore, the birth-place of Socceroo legend Craig Foster, presents the perfect backdrop for John Aloisi's side to bond, engage with the city's passionate football community and prepare for its second hit-out against an A-League rival this pre-season.

On the back of its match against Adelaide United last Tuesday, Heart will contest the Craig Foster Cup against the Wanderers, which is the West Sydney club’s first taste A-League opposition as both clubs fine tune their preparations for the impending season.

Foster, 43, who earned 29 caps for Australia, and scored nine goals for his country, was born in Lismore in 1969 and has praised Heart’s initiative to engage with the football community in northern New South Wales.

The clash also acts as a match-up between former Socceroo teammates Tony Popovic, who is at the helm of the Wanderers, and Aloisi.

Aloisi has travelled with a squad of 19, minus midfielder Jonatan Germano who is recovering from injury, and four trialists.

Heart’s Football Operations General Manager John Didulica said the focus of the week was not solely on Friday night’s match, but would facilitate team bonding, allow players to mix with the football community and focus on off-season technical priorities.

“Of course we’re looking forward to a high-level game against Western Sydney on Friday, but it’s a chance to work with the players and to help them gel and concentrate away from the day-to-day distractions,” Didulica said.

“We haven’t spoken too much about the game yet; it’s more about spending time with each other and it’s always good to get away and bond.

“On a camp we’re able to pack more sessions in and allow players to get adequate rest and recovery.

“There are other key aspects of the tour, including community engagement in an area that has a high percentage of registered players.”

Didiluca said Friday’s match-up would be a historic moment as the A-League’s two expansion clubs meet for the first time and vie for the Craig Foster Cup.

“Its exciting; it’s a bit historic and the first game against an expansion side from Sydney,” Didiluca said.

“It’s important to recognise a legend of the game; he [Foster] is a great champion of football and especially football in the community.”

News video: http://soulstream1.s...eheart27aug.wmv

What: Melbourne Heart v Western Sydney Wanderers

Date: Friday, 31 August

Where: Oakes Oval, Lismore

Time: 7.00pm (Kick-off) 5pm (Gates Open)

Cost: $10 – Adults and above 12 years of age

$2 - Under 12 (Get your coupon from the local paper to receive free entry)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wswanderersfc/news-display/Wanderers-Begin-PreSeason-Camp/48730

Edited by Murfy1

Four triallsts, who are presumably all 20 years old or younger.

Ben Garuccio seems to be one. Two other trialists could be Scott Galloway and Stefan Mauk, who played the last 15-20 minutes against Adelaide. Other possibilities could be Sam Mitchinson, Riley Woodcock and Jose Guerrero del Solar.

I imagine these four trialists must have pretty good chances of landing contracts, as Heart should really have the squad finalised soon.

Also good to hear they'll be in Lismore for a few days before the match getting to know one another. A lot of new players, and given how disjointed the team looked against Adelaide 4 or 5 days in Lismore should help the team gel before the season kicks off.

I imagine these four trialists must have pretty good chances of landing contracts, as Heart should really have the squad finalised soon.

I hope not. We need to leave some squad positions vacant so we can sign the next Madaschi type who joins us halfway thru the season.

Being serious, for me it is;

Premiers Plate>

Theoritical FFA Cup>

Dunny Seat>

Craig Foster cup.

I think we've already won our first piece of useless silverware. Don't we play for a trophy against Sydney which is to raise awareness for some charity - which I can't remember. Zaidees? Something about kids. So win this one and we might start thinking about a cabinet!

But I have to disagree about the importance of different trophies. The premiers plate is one of the most irrellevant trophies in Australian sport. It's a pointless nod to European competitions. But in Australia, pretty much every sport, at every level, from kids all the way up to the elite level, has finals with the ultimate glory coming from winning the grand final. (State based competitions like shield cricket don't, but that's because there aren't enough teams to have a home and away and finals series.) People may not like it, but it's the way we do things, and the A League is the same.

It's a different system and mentality to European football. You have to get there, then you have to perform on the day. If we won the premiers plate, but didn't go on to win the GF, I'd consider it a failure and I couldn't see anything worth celebrating. Would anyone at Central Coast really be happy with a premiers plate and no GF? Basically, I just think it's wierd to give out a trophy for finishing on top of the ladder in a finals based competition. It's nice to finish on top, but your reward is pole position, a double chance, and home finals.

Edited by Sash

Regardless of the competition we should be trying to set a winning mentality. Our season is short and the off season is too long. The few trial matches we have should be used to gain momentum going into the season.

After all we have already developed our style of play and and have had a seamless transition in our coaching staff havn`t we.

Thanks mate :)

How's ya GF's twin going?

Is this dude serious?

It would help if I knew who the fuck u actually are b4 u got personal... picard.gifpicard.gif

FFS u are more awkward than the virgin dewb of Big Brother. picard.gifpicard.gifpicard.gif

And she is going well ya kent. :D

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

[...]

The Heart will play an A-League trial game against the Western Sydney Wanderers at Oakes Oval on Friday night.

They will train at Oakes Oval today and tomorrow and have pool sessions at SCU Gym and Pool.

Aloisi believes this week will put them in good stead for the upcoming season.

"We'll have as close to our full-strength squad as possible on the pitch on Friday night," he said.

"We've picked up some handy new players and kept the base of players we've had for two years.

"It's good for the players to be together for a week and bond. A lot of them don't know each other off the pitch, so they will get the chance to here.

"I'm sure we'll have movie nights and stuff like that going on too."

Both teams will attend an autograph signing session in Keen Street, Lismore, at 4pm on Thursday.

The game on Friday will start at 7pm.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2012/08/28/youth-is-the-word/

Wanderers ready for Heart attack

31st August 2012 5:00 AM

A-LEAGUE football comes to the Far North Coast for the first time tonight when Melbourne Heart and the Western Sydney Wanderers meet in a pre-season trial at Oakes Oval, Lismore.

Dubbed the Craig Foster Cup, the game will be the culmination of a week-long training camp in Lismore for the Heart, under new coach and Socceroo legend John Aloisi.

"I played a lot with Craig for Australia and for Ports-mouth and even then he was telling me how good Lismore was, so I'm glad to finally get the chance to see he was right," Aloisi said.

"We've had a great time here - the people, the weather, the facilities - and it might even become an annual thing.

"The boys have worked hard at training and we've also used the trip to help bond the side off the paddock, as we have a lot of new faces.

"As far as the game goes, we're taking it very seriously and treating it as ifit were a full A-League match.

"We'll use a 4-3-3 shape and want to attack as much as possible; there'll be no holding back."

The Heart line-up includes new signing and part of the Socceroos' 2010 World Cup campaign Richard Garcia; midfield maestro Fred; Croatian international Josip Tadic; Matt Thompson, who holds the all-time A-League appearance record of 150 games; and one of their best players last season in defender Aziz Behich.

Aloisi's counterpart on the Wanderers bench is former Socceroo teammate Tony Popovic, who is also having his first stint coaching at the top level.

With the Wanderers making their debut in the A-League this year, there will be much interest in their first game against an A-League opponent.

"As a new club being built from scratch we're making history every day and I think there'll certainly be a sense of occasion for the players," Popovic said.

The talent at his disposal includes new signings Jerome Polenz and Dino Kresinger, along with Mark Bridge, Shannon Cole, Tahj Minniecon and Nikolai Topor-Stanley.

Craig Foster will be on hand to watch the game named in his honour, along with the region's most high profile female player Lisa Casagrande.

"I'm delighted local kids can see their A-League heroes up close and watch a game in town, something they'll never forget," Foster said.

"In such ways are kids inspired and my congratulations go to Lismore Mayor Jenny Dowell and Steve Mackney of Football FNC for making the visita reality."

Two local goalkeepers will also get a first-hand taste of the action tonight, with Workers' Simon Cleaver on the bench for the Heart and Goonellabah's Brad Robertson on the Wanderers bench.

Injuries to both sides' second-string 'keepers opened the door for the pair to rub shoulders with some of Australia's best players.

Gates open at 5pm and the match kicks off at 7pm.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2012/08/31/its-all-out-attack/

We've brought along 4 triallists, and I doubt we'd have brought them along if we didn't plan on playing them. But it's good to hear that most of our quality players will be fielded. No more Hoffman and Groenewald in midfield then, I assume.

My guess for the starting 11:

Garuccio------Tadic----------Dugandzic

-------Thompson------Fred----------------

-------------------Garcia----------------------

Behich---Colosimo---Gerhardt---Marrone

---------------------Bolton---------------------

And 2-3 triallists to get a run in the second half.

Western Sydney have a pretty new squad, and I think they'll have at least 3 triallists on the pitch at anyone time.

I'm tipping us to smash them. 4-1 to Melbourne, with Tadic scoring a brace and Dugandzic also finding the back of the net.

Edited by Murfy1

We really need to win this game for a bit of confidence for the boys it will do them a lot of good to travel and come home with a win all be it in a trail match.

WSW dont have the greatest side either - Due to time constraints getting their squad together...

WSW starting 11: Tyson, Elrich, Beauchamp, Topor-Stanley, D'apuzzo, Polenz, Mooy, Campos, Hersi, Bridge and Haliti - that's all i can find on fb.

People are too busy jizzing over Del Piero / Lismore is ages away from anything / Lismore residents too high to care = very little media coverage. Which is fair enough.

Edited by Che

Sorry I didn't post any updates lads I didn't get any kind of vodaphone reception in that god forsaken shithole Losermore. Probably the most boring football game I've ever seen. By halftime I was in the clubroom with my dad playing backgammon. All I can really say of interest is that Josip Tadic appeared to have done a hammy after pulling up awkwardly from his successful penalty attempt.

We looked to be playing a 8-2-1, with Garcia and Kalmar playing behind Hoffman, and with Tadic playing in an awkward striker position on the halfway line to the right. Our team set up looked like what you do in football manager when you can beat a team so you add a new manager and totally fuck up their formation so you end up winning 11-0 and progressing past the match.

Tldr; were shit and Aloisi has the managerial skills of a backwards Ossie Ardiles.

Sorry I didn't post any updates lads I didn't get any kind of vodaphone reception in that god forsaken shithole Losermore. Probably the most boring football game I've ever seen. By halftime I was in the clubroom with my dad playing backgammon. All I can really say of interest is that Josip Tadic appeared to have done a hammy after pulling up awkwardly from his successful penalty attempt.

We looked to be playing a 8-2-1, with Garcia and Kalmar playing behind Hoffman, and with Tadic playing in an awkward striker position on the halfway line to the right. Our team set up looked like what you do in football manager when you can beat a team so you add a new manager and totally fuck up their formation so you end up winning 11-0 and progressing past the match.

Tldr; were shit and Aloisi has the managerial skills of a backwards Ossie Ardiles.

i'm guessing we played like that to keep possession and learn to pass it around under pressure in our defensive third.

did we have much possession?

Some write ups of the match

Heart win in penalty shoot-out

Mitchell Craig | 1st September 2012 6:00 AM

MELBOURNE Heart defender Aziz Behich kicked the winning goal in a penalty shoot-out in the A-League soccer trial game against the Western Sydney Wanderers at Oakes Oval, Lismore, last night.

After it was nil-all at full-time, the Heart converted all five attempts from the penalty spot; the Wanderers missed their second.

Aziz, Brazilian midfielder Fred, striker David Williams and centre back Steven Gray were standouts for the Heart.

About 3300 people turned up to watch the first A-League game on the Far North Coast.

The win capped a big week for the Heart, with the team having been in Lismore since last Sunday.

They walk away with the inaugural Craig Foster Cup while Wanderers coach Tony Popovic will take plenty of positives out of his side's performance.

It was the first hit-out against another A-League side for the new franchise.

Earlier, Williams was denied a penalty when taken down inside the box early in the second half.

Neither side held back, with plenty of yellow cards going both ways.

The Wanderers had the first genuine scoring opportunity seven minutes in but striker Mark Bridge missed.

The Heart had most of the ball but the Sydney outfit was more adventurous when- ever they touched it in the first half.

It looked as though Williams had scored when he found the back of the net in the 25th minute but he was ruled off-side.

Western Sydney captain Nikolai Topor-Stanley and midfielder Shannon Cole were among the Wanderers' best.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2012/09/01/shooting-to-thrill/

Heart Take Home Craig Foster Cup After Victory via Penalty Shoot-Out

Friday, 31 August 2012 12:00 AM

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have tonight drawn 0-0 with the Melbourne Heart in their first hit-out against a fellow Hyundai A-League side. Playing for the Craig Foster Cup, the Heart claimed victory with a 5-3 scoreline on penalties.

Although going down in the shoot-out, Coach Tony Popovic was impressed with the squad’s display.

“It was a step up tonight and we handled it well, we’ve been looking forward to this and it was a great gauge for us,” he said. “We’re working towards season kick-off and this is a step in the right direction.

“The players are starting to get longer minutes in readiness for round one so we will continue to do what we have to.

“The Heart are in good shape, so it was good to see where we’re at,” he said.

Popovic added that the main objective for the week was the coming together as a squad.

“The week has been fantastic and the squad has come together beautifully and bonded, which was the aim to get out of the week,” he added.

The Wanderers first chance came in the 10th minute when Labinot Haliti carried the ball to the by-line and cut it back for Mark Bridge but he pushed it over the top of the bar.

Just two minutes later it was the Heart who created their first opportunity with a similar move down the left hand side. It was cut back and the outstretched arm of Jerrad Tyson got a much needed touch on the ball to send it out of the danger zone.

It was in the 22nd minute where the Wanderers had their greatest opportunity. A mistake from the Heart put Haliti into the open and again heading for the by-line. He was able to get a rushed shot away that was pushed away by Heart Goal Keeper Andrew Redmayne and it was then Jerome Polenz who couldn’t get a clean strike on the ball before Bridge had his chance and pushed it wide of the right upright.

The Heart thought they had claimed their opening goal in the 28th minute. Off the back of a great save from Tyson the Heart put the ball into the back of the net but the linesman had raised his flag and the official had no choice but to call it back.

A great strike from Aaron Mooy occurred in the 35th minute after Bridge was brought down on the edge of the penalty area. Mooy struck the ball with a fair amount of force and it hit the under-side of the cross-bar before being cleared by the Heart.

On the stroke of half-time Nikolai Topor-Stanley was given the first yellow card of the match for going in too hard in defence. From the free-kick, the Heart pushed the ball wide. Moments later the referee signalled half-time and the score remained nil-all with both side’s heading to the rooms.

Both side’s started the second stanza with the same 11 that started the match and as the match hit the 55th minute mark the Heart Captain, Fred, was given his first booking of the match, receiving a yellow card for a tackle on Polenz. From 30m out, Mooy pushed the ball wide of the uprights without troubling Heart Goal Keeper, Redmayne.

In the 60th minute, Coach Popovic began to make changes with Shannon Cole and Jason Trifiro coming on to replace Youssef Hersi and Polenz.

The match continued to be played from end to end and with a number of changes being made the match was there for the taking but no one could take their chance. As the match hit the 90 minute mark the scores were level at 0-0.

With the Craig Foster Cup on the line, the match went to a penalty shoot-out and it was the Heart who were able to net every shot and claim the cup, 5-3 on penalties.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/wswanderersfc/news-display/Heart-Take-Home-Craig-Foster-Cup-After-Victory-via-Penalty-ShootOut/48833

That Williams goal sounds like it could of been incorrectly ruled offside, with even the Wanderers official twitter account calling it a 'lucky break' for them: '28th min: Heart claim a goal but it's called back by the official's for offside. Lucky break for the @wswanderersfc. #GoWanderers'.

We apparently had the majority of possession, so a positive is that we were able to hold onto the ball. Last season we were ordinary with possession, but in our first season we were pretty good with it (maybe Aloisi will emulate the first season more than the second, given that he played that season).

Redmayne must have been solid in goal, or our defence was strong and we starved them of chances (or option 3, the Wanderers were awful at finishing).

I wonder how much game time Tadic got. I saw him against Adelaide, and it looked like he needed time to gel with the team. Also, Macallister isn't appearing to be threatening against A-League opposition. Perhaps he'll be could as an impact sub late in the game, where A-League teams will be worn out and nearer to the state league teams Macallister has been scoring freely against.

Some or all of Heart's 4 triallists must have gotten a run during the second half. I'm still curious who they were, as we'll probably sign 2 of them. Also, I reckon the Wanderers would have subbed on a lot of triallists during the second half as well, and all the substitions probably disrupted the rhythm of the game helping to keep it scoreless.

As long as the team showed signs of starting to gel I reckon it was a positive preseason game. Keeping a clean sheet is very useful as well (we conceded a pretty high average amount of goals over the last 2 seasons. Get that average down by 0.5 or 1 goals a game and we'll get a lot more wins). We just need Tadic to adapt to playing for Heart and the goals will come. Then we'll be ready for a solid season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

A pity that we can't get, as a minimum, a decent report from the club naming the substitutes and who scored the penalties (other than Aziz and Tadic, which we've gleaned from other sources). This is the sort of thing that keeps supporters interested and gives a bit of a buzz leading up to the season proper.

a positive was that we kept a clean sheet with our new CB pairing of Gerhardt and Gray, and was good to get gametime into all those players. Also good to hear williams had a decent game, hopefully he finds some form.

Only thing that concerns me is this

The Heart had most of the ball but the Sydney outfit was more adventurous when- ever they touched it in the first half.

it's good that we're able to hold posession, i think it's very important, but we NEED to do more with the ball when we have it

a positive was that we kept a clean sheet with our new CB pairing of Gerhardt and Gray, and was good to get gametime into all those players. Also good to hear williams had a decent game, hopefully he finds some form.

Only thing that concerns me is this

it's good that we're able to hold posession, i think it's very important, but we NEED to do more with the ball when we have it

Could have been one of those Pre-season games where the whole focus is on holding the ball - If so I applaud for JA choosing an interstate fixture to do this in rather than in front of me as last years match against Newy in Morwell was very very boring.