Melbourne Football

Thu Nux- The choicest team un New Zuland, eh bro?

KSK_47

• 3 weeks later...

So...at best four more years after this, which will give them the time to close down their affairs in an orderly fashion and for FFA to find a worthy and sustainable Australian replacement franchise to take their place. Or does FFA keep stringing them along on a short-term basis?

I would have thought if we're ever to become a 14+ team competition then Auckland and Wellington teams would need to be in the league. 

Maybe.  Which would explain why the FFA said they see the future as a ten team competition.

I would prefer to see them continue (they were friends when we needed them, we should return the favour), but I suspect the continued pressure from the AFC to not have them in our league is behind this.

Maybe.  Which would explain why the FFA said they see the future as a ten team competition.

I would prefer to see them continue (they were friends when we needed them, we should return the favour), but I suspect the continued pressure from the AFC to not have them in our league is behind this.

If that is the case, then why don't FFA be open about it and say straight to the Nix's face that AFC would prefer them out of A League? Don't they deserve that ? To muck around and give some bullshit excuse that it is not in FFA plans is not a good approach to the situation. If FFA wants the Nix to be in the league then they should have worked together with them and pressure AFC to consider their stance.

If that is the case, then why don't FFA be open about it and say straight to the Nix's face that AFC would prefer them out of A League? Don't they deserve that ? To muck around and give some bullshit excuse that it is not in FFA plans is not a good approach to the situation. If FFA wants the Nix to be in the league then they should have worked together with them and pressure AFC to consider their stance.

I agree with you 100%, but sadly in this world there seems to be many many people who think the best way to treat an issue is to hide from it. Just call me cynical.

Good article here on the world game site:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2015/10/27/what-does-throwing-phoenix-away-yesterdays-trash-achieve

On the one hand the FFA want to throw a well run Nix under the bus whilst on the other hand propping up Newy and the Sauce Bottle brigade.  Go figure.

I would have thought if we're ever to become a 14+ team competition then Auckland and Wellington teams would need to be in the league. 

I don't think a team in Auckland would be a good solution. We're already one of the teams with the lowest general attendance in the league.
On top of that, Auckland had a team a few years ago and their attendance was even lower (obviously not helped by the team being piss poor).

Wellington is more of a football city, compared to Auckland. Bigger interest for the game in Welly.
Unbearable to think about not having my team in the A-League next season. I guess that's part of the package with modern football...

I still don't understand why we can't have 12 teams in the league. 10 teams just isn't enough.

Edited by danepak
  • Like 1

Maybe not Auckland. But IMO we shouldn't discard teams on attendance. Wellington may have low attendances, but as yet they haven't called on FFA or anyone else for assistance. The issue is whether they are sustainable, not how many people attend matches.

I see this whole thing as a pissing contest by FFA. Try to give the impression that football is "bigger" than its rivals. We could do that by allowing all clubs unlimited overseas stars, pay them excessive wages to come here for a season, draw huge crowds and win the pissing contest, and then go out of business at the end of the season. What use is that?

Unbearable to think about not having my team in the A-League next season. I guess that's part of the package with modern football...

Thats rough man.

Is it me, or was this whole thing pretty out of the blue? It may be because I am not a Nix supporter, so I dont keep up to speed with other clubs that much, but it seems to have just exploded out of nowhere. Or has it been simmering for a while and I have just not noticed?

Thats rough man.

Is it me, or was this whole thing pretty out of the blue? It may be because I am not a Nix supporter, so I dont keep up to speed with other clubs that much, but it seems to have just exploded out of nowhere. Or has it been simmering for a while and I have just not noticed?

It's been simmering for a fair while. Gallop put them on notice publicly at the start of last season and the welnix group and sky sports have often been criticized for not bringing enough to the table. Sources also tell me that there's been negotiations with potential sponsors of a third Sydney team for something like a year, can't remember exactly. 

I heard on a podcast the other day that Wellington cost the league $3millionAUD a year in travel, accommodation and other expenses but their TV deal with sky is only bringing in $180k. You can see clearly that a third Sydney side would be much better for the bottom line.

I honestly think the FFA is doing the right thing for the A-League. If the long term plan doesn't involve New Zealand it is best to cut ties now before they're too ingrained in the fabric of the competition. NZ out and three teams in Sydney makes a lot of sense long term imo. 

Also, this #savethenix stuff is pretty laughable. I respect the want to fight for your club but the dye has been cast. The Phoenix died in a board room long before their ten year license was rejected. 

Thats rough man.

The license is expiring this season, so we knew that it was a matter of the length of the new license. Been discussed often on Yellow Fever.

Could make it very interesting, if we beat the unwashed ones on Monday at Etihad and perhaps turn into serious title contenders 

• Like 1

Could make it very interesting, if we beat the unwashed ones on Monday at Etihad and perhaps turn into serious title contenders 

I'd love nothing more than the awkward position the FFA would find themselves in if the Phoenix won hosting rights of the Grand Final in the season they intended to cut them. 

Imagine watching Gallop squirm handing the Toilet seat over in Wellington. Would be brilliant. 

• Like 1

The appealing thing about Tasmania is there's really no direct competition in the market since the AFL's still too reluctant to put a permanently-based team there.

Because AFL has the brains to know that they'll endlessly have to subsidise or give special concessions to a team based there. And, like so many others, you're making the mistake that a team called "Tasmania" is a team that everyone who lives in the state will support, let alone care a fig about. They won't. It's a very parochial place. I know - I lived there for quite some time. On top of that football has no traction whatsoever.

People are getting delusional. Yes, teams need to be located in major population centres to get attendances - and indeed to attract quality players - but (and perhaps regrettably) modern football is about having owners/partners/sponsors wealthy enough to keep a club sustainable. Which generally means running at a manageable loss that's not too big to be offset somewhere else in the owners' finances.

Forget Tasmania.

• Like 1

Because AFL has the brains to know that they'll endlessly have to subsidise or give special concessions to a team based there. And, like so many others, you're making the mistake that a team called "Tasmania" is a team that everyone who lives in the state will support, let alone care a fig about. They won't. It's a very parochial place. I know - I lived there for quite some time. On top of that football has no traction whatsoever.

People are getting delusional. Yes, teams need to be located in major population centres to get attendances - and indeed to attract quality players - but (and perhaps regrettably) modern football is about having owners/partners/sponsors wealthy enough to keep a club sustainable. Which generally means running at a manageable loss that's not too big to be offset somewhere else in the owners' finances.

Forget Tasmania.

but what would be better than a team with this mascot: 

tasmanian_devil.jpg

Not technically gone now but in reality who's going to invest sponsorship or become a member of a club that's not going to be around in another 4 years?

All A-league licences were short term like this until recently. But yeah it's retarded, if you want them to grow you need to give them the security of a longer licence.