Melbourne Football

Us & The League Table

Shahanga

20 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

AFL season "postponed". So guarantee A-League will now follow. I'd guess no further games after today, Monday at the latest. 

Of course, we'll finish second, but the teams that qualified for the uncompleted ACL will be invited and we'll miss out again. Luckily, or unluckily, there are more important things to worry about, but the mens team is cursed

Looks like they are currently postponing not cancelling.

Been a decent year for the club and under normal circumstances one that we’d hope might be a harbinger of better times.

At least being owned by the richest people in the world means that if there is an A League in the future, we will be part of it.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Time to resurrect this thread.

Currently second with a game in hand and 11 to play. Big chance for the Premier’s Plate (AKA the real title)A41F41C8-CDE9-4EAA-ABD7-CA0AEF39478F.thumb.png.bff39cb34ef3d0397175ca8e9006c834.png

I'll own that I have been proven wrong. Paddy seems to have gotten it together. Goal difference is generally a decent proxy for the best side and we have looked it at times in the last 6 weeks. Touchwood it continues. I should note too that the kids are all right. 

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

With ten matches to go that's a bit premature.

I don't mean it that way. More or less, I just wanted to highlight that our destiny is in our own hands and for now, we needn't rely on other results going our way providing we keep that winning trajectory.

We've spent all season chasing closely behind in the pack but now we've got the others chasing us. I think that's a big mental shift honestly, especially if we can break away.

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

Would love to see their cap..   LeFondre, Bobo, Kosta, Ninkovic, Baumjohan, Brattan, McGowan etc 

Perth, Adelaide and Wellington have all added good players to their team mid season, appears they all had plenty of cap space. Juande, Goodwin, Chianese, Geria and Taylor to name a few.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

There’s some talent there. Surprising they could squeeze them under a reduced cap. Anyway whatever. 
Bring It.

Credit to one of our FB fan groups.

This old article outlines why Sydney has some much cap space year after year and why the salary exempt part keeps growing. 

Whilst reading this I can’t help to think perhaps how much we have or are missing out on with the benefits of our homegrown or players in their 4th season who left the club. I hope we can benefit from these rules in the near future.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how-sydney-fc-squeezed-marquee-barbarouses-inside-the-salary-cap-20190607-p51vky.html?fbclid=IwAR0gUaoyeG-vIt7xq4pDUzqJJqq1EGkmvFTirB14wiMGXXNDIsxe-Bkw_3U

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Credit to one of our FB fan groups.

This old article outlines why Sydney has some much cap space year after year and why the salary exempt part keeps growing. 

Whilst reading this I can’t help to think perhaps how much we have or are missing out on with the benefits of our homegrown or players in their 4th season who left the club. I hope we can benefit from these rules in the near future.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how-sydney-fc-squeezed-marquee-barbarouses-inside-the-salary-cap-20190607-p51vky.html?fbclid=IwAR0gUaoyeG-vIt7xq4pDUzqJJqq1EGkmvFTirB14wiMGXXNDIsxe-Bkw_3U

Well Jamo would be a loyalty player, Griffiths will be getting close, Metcalfe, cola, Atkinson homegrown player, 

According to Wikipedia, 12.5% of a player's salary is outside the cap in his fourth season with a club as a professional, and it is 25% in the fifth season, and rises 5% per season after that to a maximum of 50%.

Jamo is in his fourth season. Several other players are in their third - including Griff, Curtis, Florin. JMac signed in January 2019 so depending on the arithmetic used he's also in his third. So it looks as though next season we may be using the rule to our advantage.

However, this season puzzles me as I though that the cap had been reduced because of financial issues with FA/APL and COVID-19?

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

According to Wikipedia, 12.5% of a player's salary is outside the cap in his fourth season with a club as a professional, and it is 25% in the fifth season, and rises 5% per season after that to a maximum of 50%.

Jamo is in his fourth season. Several other players are in their third - including Griff, Curtis, Florin. JMac signed in January 2019 so depending on the arithmetic used he's also in his third. So it looks as though next season we may be using the rule to our advantage.

However, this season puzzles me as I though that the cap had been reduced because of financial issues with FA/APL and COVID-19?

The cap is certainly reduced hence I’m surprised that Adelaide, Perth and Sydney have managed to add several decent players to their squad.

The only issue I can potentially see with us is that irrespective of the exemptions and having no caps on marquee players that we seem to strictly adhere to a total spending budget. 

Edited by Mr MO

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The cap is certainly reduces hence I’m surprised that Adelaide, Perth and Sydney have managed to add several decent players to their squad.

The only issue I can potentially see with us is that irrespective of the exemptions and having no caps on marquee players that we seem to strictly adhere to a total spending budget. 

Yes, we do. It may be an unpopular view but I don't really disagree with that approach.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The cap is certainly reduced hence I’m surprised that Adelaide, Perth and Sydney have managed to add several decent players to their squad.

...because we aren't owned by CFG to maximise benefit to the franchise, it's to maximise benefit to the CFG network.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

You are assuming that only the A-League has a reduced salary budget. From what I have read, outside of the EPL, La Liga, Serie A all clubs have reduced their budgets. Hence players are no longer able to command the salaries that they used to and with many clubs reducing the squad size then you can see why some have taken whet ever comes their way.

55 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

You are assuming that only the A-League has a reduced salary budget. From what I have read, outside of the EPL, La Liga, Serie A all clubs have reduced their budgets. Hence players are no longer able to command the salaries that they used to and with many clubs reducing the squad size then you can see why some have taken whet ever comes their way.

Fair point regarding players being able to be less demanding. However the leagues you have mentioned do not have a salary cap of course.

I made the assumption that with the reduced cap this season every team would have hit the ceiling to start with so I’m surprised that players like Juande, Goodwin, Taylor, Chianese, Geria, Bobo and now Le Fondre are back. Unless this was all pre-agreed and allowed for at the start of the season. Not just one player but most squeezed 2 players in without releasing any. Good on them I guess.

Perhaps these teams known that the cap will be scrapped next year and have offered back loaded deals? Le Fondre is back for 2.5 years.

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

...because we aren't owned by CFG to maximise benefit to the franchise, it's to maximise benefit to the CFG network.

Haha....are you saying that our club budget is determined by the tax deductible thresholds of the CFG group? 

39 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Most of the clubs didnt carry 2 marquees going into the season, which will be in large part why they can jink their lists around. 

We were one of the few that did.

Who’s our second marquee, only rumours that it is Nabbout but never confirmed.

6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Haha....are you saying that our club budget is determined by the tax deductible thresholds of the CFG group? 

Partly, also by the anticipated rate of return and also the salary cap. CFG aren't going to turn us into a money pit without a return far greater than just the A League title.

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

After today's match between Wellington and Adelaide, irrespective of the result all the others in the top 6 will have played at least one match more than us. We will be still nicely placed in the leading pack.

Remarkably good weekend for us given we only drew. If anything with Adelaide losing its actually improved our situation. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

After today's match between Wellington and Adelaide, irrespective of the result all the others in the top 6 will have played at least one match more than us. We will be still nicely placed in the leading pack.

Brisbane can make some big gains if they win their catch up games.