Melbourne Football

Us & The League Table

Shahanga

Brisbane taking points off Perth is helpful. Now they’re only able to go three points ahead with their game in hand, but Brisbane are inching closer to us. 

Hard to see us overtaking Perth. Goal difference is a reliable indicator and they’re +15 compared to our +5. Wellington are in the exact same position.

The others are probably making up the numbers yet we need to keep winning to hold them off. 

• Like 1

Sydney have a tough run of fixtures until their next ACL match in a month, including one midweek match against Wellington. I’m just wondering if they might continue to drop points and if so, how many? 

Could a team like Sydney collapse? They just seem so resilient and seasoned, but stranger things have happened in football.

When their ACL campaign restarts and they play midweek matches, the weekend A-League fixtures following are going to test them, including one against us at AAMI Park in the final round. 

We will find out over the next month, starting with Victory tomorrow night. All we can do is keep winning. 

1 minute ago, Harrison said:

Sydney have a tough run of fixtures until their next ACL match in a month, including one midweek match against Wellington. I’m just wondering if they might continue to drop points and if so, how many? 

Could a team like Sydney collapse? They just seem so resilient and seasoned, but stranger things have happened in football.

When their ACL campaign restarts and they play midweek matches, the weekend A-League fixtures following are going to test them, including one against us at AAMI Park in the final round. 

We will find out over the next month, starting with Victory tomorrow night. All we can do is keep winning. 

Not even worth considering imo. They effectively have to lose 6 of their last 9, with us winning all of our last 7 to cough up the plate. Better chance of the league being cancelled due to Caronavirus....

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Not even worth considering imo. They effectively have to lose 6 of their last 9, with us winning all of our last 7 to cough up the plate. Better chance of the league being cancelled due to Caronavirus....

I wonder how close we end up being to them though. If it’s six points...

It’s not beyond us to win all of our remaining matches. The hardest one is on Sunday and the last match against Sydney. It should be our aim anyway but if they keep dropping points then the pressure will mount and it’s on us to just keep chipping away.  

22 hours ago, bt50 said:

Unfortunately IMO there is a real possibility that this could happen. Particularly the Finals.

It would be just our luck if Sydney drop points to Wellington and Perth. I was praying for a Victory win to make it interesting but they only raise their game against us (although they could do us a big favour by taking points off Wellington).

So it looks like we just need Sydney to keep winning to give us breathing room below. If they beat Perth then Wellington and we win our next two (very doable), we’re at least three points clear of Wellington and six clear of Perth with four matches left. 

Happy days. 

5 minutes ago, Dylan said:

The most city thing that could happen is we miss out on the GF and Welly get in. Leaving us as the only club who hassnt featured

I suspect that the Finals series might actually not take place and that the competition will finish after the 26 matches.

35 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yep wouldn't be surprised if games from now on are behind closed doors. Ie our usual attendance levels

"The natural Australian reaction to just about anything short of a full-blown chainsaw massacre in a sports stadium is black humour.

So we laughed that a stadium lock-out would give the Gold Coast Suns an unfair advantage, given their experience in the conditions; we suggested Manly fans should be exempted because they have been in self-imposed quarantine on Sydney's North Shore for decades and we ventured that Melbourne City's average attendance wouldn't change."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-12/coronavirus-provides-australian-sport-with-sense-of-dread/12050454

49 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

"The natural Australian reaction to just about anything short of a full-blown chainsaw massacre in a sports stadium is black humour.

So we laughed that a stadium lock-out would give the Gold Coast Suns an unfair advantage, given their experience in the conditions; we suggested Manly fans should be exempted because they have been in self-imposed quarantine on Sydney's North Shore for decades and we ventured that Melbourne City's average attendance wouldn't change."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-12/coronavirus-provides-australian-sport-with-sense-of-dread/12050454

Surprise, surprise Richard Hinds. Fuckwit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

You know he makes those comments ironically right? He is a Heart/City supporter

I'm aware of that but i dont think he 'supports' our club in any literal sense; he's someone that does far more harm than good as far as our club in concerned.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I suspect that the Finals series might actually not take place and that the competition will finish after the 26 matches.

I think that games will be played behind closed doors. That should happen now, but may not happen until after this Round. The problem will be when team selection is an issue, teams may not be able to field 11 fit players + bench, as, even after recovery, there will be an isolation period when that player is unavailable. Then, not having played for a month...

The problem is that the infectivity rate is double that of influenza, and others can be infected even before symptoms are present. Ongoing large gathering would ensure that the community spread would be exponential, and that's what we are trying to avoid. The s[read is inevitable, but if we can slow it down then it's likely that everyone will recieve the medical care that they need. 

19 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I think that games will be played behind closed doors. That should happen now, but may not happen until after this Round. The problem will be when team selection is an issue, teams may not be able to field 11 fit players + bench, as, even after recovery, there will be an isolation period when that player is unavailable. Then, not having played for a month...

The problem is that the infectivity rate is double that of influenza, and others can be infected even before symptoms are present. Ongoing large gathering would ensure that the community spread would be exponential, and that's what we are trying to avoid. The s[read is inevitable, but if we can slow it down then it's likely that everyone will recieve the medical care that they need. 

I agree.

There is a real chance the season will be truncated and the finals cancelled. I wonder how many more games we will actually play? One?

These are not normal times.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I agree.

There is a real chance the season will be truncated and the finals cancelled. I wonder how many more games we will actually play? One?

These are not normal times.

Enough games so that Sydney does not have a chance to lose. And perhaps enough games so that all teams play the same number of games.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/ffa-update-covid-19-impact-football

Rest of the season behind closed doors

will the club refund missed games for members?

Here is the statement:

Football Federation Australia (FFA) today confirmed that the remainder of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 regular season, and the Westfield W-League 2020 Grand Final scheduled for this weekend will go ahead, but with all matches to be played behind closed doors and with no fans permitted to attend. This policy will apply for the remaining six rounds of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 regular season and will be reviewed for the Hyundai A-League 2020 Finals Series.

The decision by the Federal Government that all travellers to Australia arriving from today will have to self-isolate for a period of 14 days means that matches involving Melbourne Victory and Wellington Phoenix will not proceed in Rounds 24 and 25 of the Hyundai A-League. These matches will be re-scheduled and Wellington Phoenix will play all their matches in Australia for the remainder of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season.

FFA also confirmed that grassroots football, including all levels of the National Premier Leagues and FFA Cup Preliminary Rounds, may continue to be played at this time in line with Government advice, but with additional measures implemented to further reduce the risk of COVID-19 infection or transmission through the football community, including recommended hygiene measures and appropriate social distancing at football matches.

FFA Chief Executive Officer James Johnson said that the decisions taken were designed to protect the 1.96 million members of Australia’s football community, as well as ensure that football’s vast community would be a positive force in helping Australians remain healthy and combat the spread of the virus.

“The scale of football means that we have a key role to play in maintaining the health and well-being of Australians, as well as their families and the wider community. We are doing so by allowing people to play, in line with the current Government position but with additional guidance to further improve social distancing at football fields around the country.”

“We have been working closely with our stakeholders, Government health officials and our own chief medical officer to develop our policies for the whole of the game following the COVID-19 outbreak. The situation is subject to constant change, and further measures may be necessary in the future.”

Johnson added: “The decision to play the remainder of the Hyundai A-League 2019/20 season, and the Westfield W-League 2020 Grand Final behind closed doors was made in consultation with the clubs and in accordance with the latest Federal Government advice.”

“The health and safety of all members of the football community, including players, coaches, referees, volunteers, administrators and fans continues to be of paramount importance. We will continue to work with the Government and seek advice as the situation changes.”

The National COVID-19 Working Committee will continue to meet and FFA will provide regular updates to the football community as the situation continues to develop.

Edited by Torn Asunder

I don't want clubs to be under pressure to refund fans. The survival of a viable A League is at stake. I can't see the win in getting a few dollars back but three or four clubs going under because their cash flow is buggered. This wasn't their fault. I want a world worth living in when all this shit is over. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I don't want clubs to be under pressure to refund fans. The survival of a viable A League is at stake. I can't see the win in getting a few dollars back but three or four clubs going under because their cash flow is buggered. This wasn't their fault. I want a world worth living in when all this shit is over. 

This is a fair point you make here. But people don't like paying for nothing too... 

23 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Absolutely.

9 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

This is a fair point you make here. But people don't like paying for nothing too... 

You might as well ask superannuation funds to compensate you for recent losses.

As a self-funded retiree I can tell you that I have copped it badly in the last two weeks - and I'm not over dramatising that - the market dropping like a bloody stone and no interest rates to turn to.

No-one could have anticipated the current situation, and it's unreasonable to expect refunds or compensation. We're all going to suffer losses of some form or other. The key thing is to contain the virus - if we can - and stop further pain and suffering across the whole community, not to worry about what has already happened.

• Like 3

On 13/03/2020 at 9:47 AM, bt50 said:

I'm aware of that but i dont think he 'supports' our club in any literal sense; he's someone that does far more harm than good as far as our club in concerned.

Agree.

Hinds is an absolute stain, and he's nowhere near as funny as he thinks he is.

• Like 3