Melbourne Football

Us & The League Table

Shahanga

20 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

See anything that looked like a weakness? Given it’s the A League they will have one.

Certainly they’re quality on paper and with a faultless play reader like Kilkenny screening the defence, it means they are tough to catch napping.

All I can think is that the constant travel grind for them must be a challenge and with 5 (or is it 6?) wins in row momentum might be slipping. 
Anyway if we can win we’ll be in front of them regardless of the game in hand.

Keep the ball on the floor going forward, just like with Noone’s goal this weekend.

Also let them dictate the play as they love to play on the counter but I’m not sure if that’s in our DNA.

Edited by Mr MO

• 2 weeks later...

I'm as pissed and frustrated as anyone on here with our loss. But seriously what I've been reading would suggest we were 8th and won 3 games for the season. 

We are currently 2nd, mind you only just, but we are second. We have lost 5 games so far, and yes I'd prefer 3 or less but fuck we are second on the ladder because of the 11 other games.

Away to Adelaide is always tough and rightly so they are a decent team, and to beat them you need to be on your game.

After most losses this season we have bounced back, yes the entire squad was shit but to go on in the way some have is a massive overreaction and lacking perspective. 

I've tried recently to remain balanced on here, but it's too depressing. 

I'm signing out. 

And FWIW this is the first time made this sort of statement. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm as pissed and frustrated as anyone on here with our loss. But seriously what I've been reading would suggest we were 8th and won 3 games for the season. 

We are currently 2nd, mind you only just, but we are second. We have lost 5 games so far, and yes I'd prefer 3 or less but fuck we are second on the ladder because of the 11 other games.

Away to Adelaide is always tough and rightly so they are a decent team, and to beat them you need to be on your game.

After most losses this season we have bounced back, yes the entire squad was shit but to go on in the way some have is a massive overreaction and lacking perspective. 

I've tried recently to remain balanced on here, but it's too depressing. 

I'm signing out. 

And FWIW this is the first time made this sort of statement. 

The reaction is not just to the most recent result. It's the culmination of season after season of disappointment. 

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The reaction is not just to the most recent result. It's the culmination of season after season of disappointment. 

Your response has merit and everyone has similar sentiments. It seems some dwell more on it than others. Everyone has a right to vent any frustration. Because we are second on the ladder still can make it hard for some, like Jovan, to accept that these frustrations are constantly brought up. 

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Your response has merit and everyone has similar sentiments. It seems some dwell more on it than others. Everyone has a right to vent any frustration. Because we are second on the ladder still can make it hard for some, like Jovan, to accept that these frustrations are constantly brought up. 

Of course @Jovan is entitled to his view and I respect it. I'm sure that I along with many others would accept second on the ladder as acceptable in many circumstances, except that we are 13 points adrift of the leader who has a game in hand in addition to the lead (as do the three teams immediately below us). IMO "second on the ladder" doesn't have much meaning in such circumstances.

• Like 1

For me, it's this. We're pretty much fourth or fifth once the byes unravel, and we're falling not climbing or holding our own. That's just as mediocre as every previous bloody season, when we are promised so much more. The faustian pact with the Abu Dhabi devil was to get success. We've paid with our identity and culture but got nothing back. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Of course @Jovan is entitled to his view and I respect it. I'm sure that I along with many others would accept second on the ladder as acceptable in many circumstances, except that we are 13 points adrift of the leader who has a game in hand in addition to the lead (as do the three teams immediately below us). IMO "second on the ladder" doesn't have much meaning in such circumstances.

Could very well be the case. Top position is pretty much gone. And ee have been holding onto that second position with our teeth. It seems that our easiest game the next 5 weeks, including a bye week, will be Brisbane home. Perth away, victory this week and Wellington away. 

After that we have an ok run, wsw and Adelaide at home, then ccm and Newcastle away. Very good teams to play away. 

A derby win, a win against Brisbane and a draw in Perth or Wellington should put us in a good position to try secure second position. 

10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The league has now broken into 4 groups:

1. Sydney 

2. Us & Perth

3. Adelaide Wellington Brisbane 

4. The also rans.

The top 6 is starting to look settled. Obviously we need to keep winning to hold off Perth.

Both of the Westerns could quite easily knock Brisbane out of the 6 but otherwise, I agree.

The away game against Perth in 4 weeks time could be the season-defining game for us honestly.

On 11/02/2020 at 10:56 AM, mus-28 said:

Is there any betting company where i can wager on us finishing 3rd, the Tards scraping into 6th on the last day of the season and then arsing their way to a Grand Final win and us missing out on ACL qualification again?

Somebody on here mentioned that 3rd place is also an ACL spot now.

Right now, whilst being second, we are the third placed team based on number of games to be played. Perth with 2 games in hand are only 1 point behind. Wellington are equal points and games played. Adelaide, who are 5th, have played equal games as us.

Based on our season so far, third seems to be a fair position to be in. We've been very good for a lot of games. We've fallen short in some others. Still the games that have hurt us the most from memory was the loss to Sydney against 10 men and the 2 games against Brisbane whilst they were still struggling. Outside of that the other losses we simply weren't in it to begin with (eg. Perth 0-3, Adelaide 1-3, victory 1-2) perhaps with exception to the Wellington game last weekend. 

One thing is we can't afford to drop points like we have because teams like Brisbane are riding a wave of momentum. In saying that, we are coming up to an easier run of games than we've had the last 3 weeks. We can not only hold third position but perhaps cling onto second. Otherwise if we don't capitalise on it then we could drop down the ladder very quickly. 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Right now, whilst being second, we are the third placed team based on number of games to be played. Perth with 2 games in hand are only 1 point behind. Wellington are equal points and games played. Adelaide, who are 5th, have played equal games as us.

Based on our season so far, third seems to be a fair position to be in. We've been very good for a lot of games. We've fallen short in some others. Still the games that have hurt us the most from memory was the loss to Sydney against 10 men and the 2 games against Brisbane whilst they were still struggling. Outside of that the other losses we simply weren't in it to begin with (eg. Perth 0-3, Adelaide 1-3, victory 1-2) perhaps with exception to the Wellington game last weekend. 

One thing is we can't afford to drop points like we have because teams like Brisbane are riding a wave of momentum. In saying that, we are coming up to an easier run of games than we've had the last 3 weeks. We can not only hold third position but perhaps cling onto second. Otherwise if we don't capitalise on it then we could drop down the ladder very quickly. 

We're going down.... We're going down.... We're going down. We're going down. We're going down!

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I see the problem being that we never seem to develop a winning momentum in the second half of a season. 

3 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

I see it more as being completely inconsistent  we just cannot play two games the same .

That might look like that but in reality we’ve played most games exactly the same; some games we rode our luck, others we won comfortably and the ones we lost we refused to adapt our strategy but always played the same.

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

That might look like that but in reality we’ve played most games exactly the same; some games who rode our luck, others we won comfortably and the ones we lost we refused to adapt our strategy but always played the same.

Okay revise because both correct.

We cannot seem to consistently dominate. Probably more to do with how teams set up against us, and how much it impacts on our ability to play our game.

4 hours ago, johnno cpfc said:

I see it more as being completely inconsistent  we just cannot play two games the same .

This is true. Rounds 2-5 we won 4 in a row. Since then we haven't been able to back up 2 wins in a row. We certainly ride the rollercoaster of results. Safe to say we are inconsistent regarding results. 

Edited by n i k o

I noticed in the last few games that we have definitely changed our style of play.

Since Susaeta arrived we seem to be attacking more centrally, dominating the midfield, and look very dangerous in doing so.

Atm we just can't score but final ball opportunities are definitely being created.

If we keep our starting 11as it is and Mombaets just does a tweak or two,  I think that will give us our best chance for success going forward.

Who knows, second place may still be possible with a few other results going in our favour.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I noticed in the last few games that we have definitely changed our style of play.

Since Susaeta arrived we seem to be attacking more centrally, dominating the midfield, and look very dangerous in doing so.

Atm we just can't score but final ball opportunities are definitely being created.

If we keep our starting 11as it is and Mombaets just does a tweak or two,  I think that will give us our best chance for success going forward.

Who knows, second place may still be possible with a few other results going in our favour.

FB out and DG or CM in would fix it imo