Melbourne Football

Pick a lineup for round 1

Mentor

OK had a quick look for a similar thread but wasnt going to far back, I am probably going to get a fair bit wrong but have to put something up first i guess, will be far more interested to find out other peoples lineups...

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Colosimo - Behich

Germano - Fred - Thompson

Dugandzic - Tadic - Macalister

highlighted the players i favour when i listed 2, is a pretty strong A -league line up imo. Especially if Vrankovic can stand up and partner up with Colosimo,

I wouldnt mind playing Gerhardt as a DM in a 4/4/2 instead of Macilister but then again he has been doing ok against the magoo's and deserves his opportunity at he same time?

What are everyone else's thoughts? it is just a bit of fun in the off season as it is dragging on

• Like 1

Bolton

Marrone- Gray-Colisimo-Behich

Gerhardt

Germano Fred

Mate - Tadic - Gol Gol

Bench-

Redmayne, McCallister, Williams, Thompson

Unused-

Vrankovic, Kalmar, Hoffman

Need to sign another left winger ASAP. Williams is not suited and Gol Gol should be back up only. I only have Gol Gol there by default.

I also didnt put a recognised defender on the bench as would rather rely on Gerhardt to drop back in case of an injury at the back. Move Germano to DM then replace the injured defender with Thompson who will slot into midfield. Under no circumstances should Thompson be considered a CB replacement again, left back yes, CB no. I haven't seen Gerhardt play obviously though so it's just speculation on what has been said in the past about his capabilities. If he proves unable to play at CB then you have to put Vrankovic onto the bench in place of whichever of the three of Thompson, McCallister and Williams is the most out of form. I would just personally rather have three attacking possibilities from the bench who all offer different threats. Although on last seasons form i'm unsure what Williams threat would be.

Edited by perthheart

Macalister at LW? Serious?

I said i want to fit him in as he is scoring abit now, just wasnt sure where especially in the 4-3-3 when Tadic becomes the target, also said that i would like to see Gerhardt in there which would sacrifice Mac/Thompson, Players such as Williams and Gol Gol havnt impressed atm to play LW anyway, maybe just play 2 up front and have someone sitting behind Tadic? no need to be so intense and not even throw up your own team mate? aleast back it up

Edited by Mentor
  • Like 1

What formation have we been playing under Aloisi? I assume its the same 4-3-3 as under JVS. I honestly think our squad suits a 4-1-3-2 or 4-2-3-1 depending on opposition based on the players available to us at the moment (i.e. a comparative over supply of CM's and a lack of genuine wingers.) Which is a confusing situation based on the importance of having proficient wingers when playing our 4-3-3. In the 4-1-3-2 i'd have Mate playing in behind Tadic.

Bolton

Marrone-Gray-Colisimo-Behich

Gerhardt

Germano -Fred -Thompson

Mate - Tadic

Subs- Redmayne, McCallister, Williams, Kalmar

Unused- Hoffman, Vrankovic, Gol Gol

To swap to 4-2-3-1 I would just push Germano back alongside Gerhardt and Mate into Germano's RCM position and give him licence to push forward and support more with Thompson hanging back more.

• Like 1

Bolton

Marrone - Colosimo - Gray - Behich

Gerhardt

Thompson - Fred

Germano - Tadic - Dugandzic

subs: Redmayne, Macallister, Williams, Vrankovic

Germano was quality out wide when Dugandzic was on Olyroo duty and would give a bit more cover to Behich & Marrone, it would also allow Fred more of a free role behind Tadic.

• Like 2

IMO we have to wait and see what Aloisi and the coaching team come up with. We have at least two more players to sign.

I am no expert on formations, but I thought that one of our deficiencies last season is that we were far too narrow in attack. One of the things JV$ trumpeted when he arrived was that we were going to play with width, but as last season wore on we seemed to throw that idea away. Both Dugandzic and Williams like to cut in and go for goal - it's their natural instincts - so I don't think it will be a good line-up to have them both as nominal wingers.

I'd much prefer us to have at least one old-fashioned winger, someone who can jink past his defender and cross the ball into the box. Behich adds width when he goes forward, but his crossing isn't the best.

So for me I'd like us to sign an out-and-out left winger as one of the two remaining signings.

True best 11 atm:

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic -  Colosimo - Behich

Gerhardt

Kalmar - Thompson

Dugandzic - Macalister - Williams

Fred hadn't played yet, how do you know hi is fit? Gol Gol hasn't played yet how do you know he's fit? Germano hasn't played yet how do you know he's fit? Tadic hasn't played or trained or played yet how do you know he's fit or ready?

• Like 1

Bolton

Gerhardt

Thompson - Fred

Germano was quality out wide when Dugandzic was on Olyroo duty and would give a bit more cover to Behich & Marrone, it would also allow Fred more of a free role behind Tadic.

Finally, someone else agreeing with Germano on the right and Duga on the left (Y) I have been saying this all off season.

Agree with the starting 11 assuming we sign no one else too but would put Kalmar on the bench instead of Vrankovic. I think Kalmar will have a top season this year tbh.

Also, I hope we sign another starting CDM and switch to a 4231 with Thompson dropping to the bench instead of Kalmar.

• Like 1

Fred hadn't played yet, how do you know hi is fit? Gol Gol hasn't played yet how do you know he's fit? Germano hasn't played yet how do you know he's fit? Tadic hasn't played or trained or played yet how do you know he's fit or ready?

Game is two months away. I'm reckoning that's a fair amount of time to get fit in.

Bolton

Gerhardt

Thompson - Fred

i could see this happening!!!

Bolton

Gerhardt

Dugandzic - Thompson - Fred - Williams

Macalister/Tadic

Bench: Redmayne, Macalister/Tadic, Germano, Kalmar

Little more cautious than most but would select, however the Wingers can easily push into a 4-3-3 If a more attacking orientated formation is needed.

Hopefully we can see a bit of Tadic before the season starts, Otherwise if his current form continues against the likes of adelaide preseason Macalister will get the go from me.

True best 11 atm:

Bolton

Gerhardt

Kalmar - Thompson

Dugandzic - Macalister - Williams

So what do we know about these guys?

Dugandzic hasn't played yet either, and if he's not training yet then he's been sidelined for a pretty long time now. He's my biggest concern right now because we haven't really heard anything about his injury.

Unless there's been any new problems, Fred is making his way back from surgery (groin I think). So as long as they're being cautious about his recovery, there's time to make sure it heals properly. The one advantage I suppose of such long pre-seasons is the opportunity for players to overcome injury beore being rushed back.

They knew Golgol had an injury issue when they signed him, so I'd say it's similar to Fred in that they're trying to make sure it's dealt with properly before the season starts. Don't know what it is though.

I thought Germano's only problem was that he had his wisdom teeth taken out? If he doesn't play tonight, maybe there's something more? He was training ok before the first practice match.

And Tadic is waiting for his visa to come through. The quicker the better.

Edited by Sash

And Tadic is waiting for his visa to come through. The quicker the better.

SM has tweeted Tadic arrived in town on Monday but won't play tonight.

As for the others...

IIRC I read somewhere that Dugandzic has a hip problem?

The club said Golgol would play down at Geelong but he didn't.

Fred is a huge concern.

Edited by jw1739

SM has tweeted Tadic arrived in town on Monday but won't play tonight.

As for the others...

IIRC I read somewhere that Dugandzic has a hip problem?

The club said Golgol would play down at Geelong but he didn't.

Fred is a huge concern.

Glad about Tadic. A lot is riding on him I reckon.

I thought the club denied the hip story about Duga, but then didn't really say much. Can't really remember.

And with Fred, on what basis? He did a hamstring early last season, and then again from being rushed back too quickly. Was nursed through the rest of the year and had surgery on his groin after the season finished. He might do a hamstring again, or something else like any other player. But as long as his surgery was successful and he does his recovery properly, I don't see any real reason to believe he won't be able to play out the season. In terms of fitness, I thought he was in great shape last year and played exceptionally well, so age isn't an issue. I suppose we'll know more in the next couple of months.

Edited by Sash

I'd much prefer us to have at least one old-fashioned winger, someone who can jink past his defender and cross the ball into the box. Behich adds width when he goes forward, but his crossing isn't the best.

I think worm was meant to be that player. Only problem was he seemed to turn inside defenders five times without actually moving past them. The only other issue with having players who can play with width is that we usually only ever had one man in the box waiting for any crosses that came in. And no one who could do any damage with their head if it did miraculously pick out the solo player in the box. Babalj with all his height rarely threatened from aerial balls. Is why I think we saw us playing with less width as time wore on. That and the fact Worm was largely gash.

However, I feel Mcallister could help in this department. From my limited viewing of him in the past he does at the very least seem to throw himself about up front. How has he been aerially in ore-season albeit against kids it seems?

no need to be so intense and not even throw up your own team mate? aleast back it up

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Colosimo - Thompson

Gerhardt

Fred - Germano

Behich - Tadic -
Dugandžić

Bench: Redmayne, Kalmar, Macalister, Gray

Play this team and watch the good times roll.

There's me "backing it up" you muppet.

Scrap the 4-3-3!! Ive posted this in another thread before. I really think we should go with a 3-5-2 like how Italy did at the euros. It would really compliment the team we have at the moment.

------------------------Bolton--------------------------

--------Gray--------Colosimo-------Vrankovic------

------------------Gerhardt------------------------------

Marrone-------------------Germano----------Behich

-------------------Fred-----------------------------------

---------------------------------Dugandzic-------------

------------------Tadic----------------------------------

Bench:

Thompson

Williams

Kalmer

Dugandzic to support Tadic in the 2nd striker role.

I like being controversial, so I'll wait for the flame-thrower...

Why do people want Bolton? Redmayne has a quicker reaction time, better hands, more agile, better distribution, far better coming off his line...in short, he's a far better keeper all round.

• Like 1

@JW, who do you rate higher, Bolton or Covic?

apparently covic was very keen to come to heart after he was released from victory, and obviously wasn't signed because bolton re-signed.

Haven't seen Covic much in the flesh so to speak. Based on video I thought he did pretty well for MV last year. Wasn't he their player of the year or something? Others think he's just a 'pub goalkeeper.'

If you push me though...never been a fan of 'Calamity Clint'...so I would have been more than happy with Covic on our books.

Redmayne was too obsessed with short passes on Wednesday. Put our defenders under too much pressure IMO. Plus Bolton is boss

He's still getting used to the so-called Heart way. It was the Brisbane way to play out from the back by a short pass - usually a throw or roll - to their full-backs who had come back wide to receive same. Then away they would go with their pass-and-move game.

And Brisbane are the Champions. For the past two years. So their game plan can't be bad.

Better by far than that long pump forward which generally turns over the ball...

Bolton

Marrone - Vrankovic - Colosimo - Thompson

Gerhardt

Fred - Germano

Behich - Tadic -
Dugandžić

Bench: Redmayne, Kalmar, Macalister, Gray

Play this team and watch the good times roll.

There's me "backing it up" you muppet.

Seriously mate? are you 12?

Anyway, after listening to Aloisi in his Post match, he mentioned Gol gol a few times, must be planning on playing him as the other winger?

• Like 1

Anyway, after listening to Aloisi in his Post match, he mentioned Gol gol a few times, must be planning on playing him as the other winger?

Williams has featured heavily thus far, whilst Golgol played a few minutes on the right, in Mate's position, which is under no threat. (barring injury) Edited by LR9