Melbourne Football

Matchday 13: v Western United - Friday 3rd January 7.30 pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Fair bit of overreacting here imo.

no way was delbridge a red and could even debate the penalty too

Isn't handball in the area a straight red and penalty - e.g. Genreau? The circumstances - accidental or deliberate don't matter?

44 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Fair bit of overreacting here imo.

no way was delbridge a red and could even debate the penalty too

I don't think either of the penalties were remotely debatable. Thought Wales definitely deserved one which could have sealed the game, but his wasn't as clear cut as the ones against Delbridge and Bouzanis. Those were the sort of penalties the ref has no choice.

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Isn't handball in the area a straight red and penalty - e.g. Genreau? The circumstances - accidental or deliberate don't matter?

Straight red for handball is incorrect - triple punishment stoppen some years back, good chance to appeal if proven it wasn’t deliberate 

Edited by Mr MO

The Delbridge Red was wrong - they eliminated the triple penalty years ago. 

According to the new amendment, when a goalkeeper or a player commits an offence within his own penalty area to deny an opponent an obvious goal scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, then "the offending player should be cautioned" instead of being sent off.

• Like 1

Speedy asked Mombearts at the end of the game whether we would contest the incorrect Red against Delbridge. Mombearts seemed like he didnt understand that it was firstly, incorrectly given, and secondly, that he could appeal. Trouble is that delbridge will be downgraded to a yellow and this will be his 5th, so he misses a game anyway. 

I think I went to a different game?

At my game we played the opponents off the park until Bouzanzis had a brain snap, the ref went stupid (maybe a pen but never a red) and then we played out the game. We were by far the best team for 87 minutes.

congratulations to Craig Noone on a fantastic game and deserved MoM award.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just watched the handball again and the new handball rule is supposed to protect against this kind of decision. It’s natural for a player to support himself as he goes down. However, it does look like he leaves his arm out and even makes a little motion toward the ball. The ref must think it’s deliberate and stopping a goal scoring opportunity. 

But putting all that aside, Delbridge just needs to stop doing that. Rarely should defenders go to ground or, when they do, go flying in like a freight train. It’s risky and stupid. He loves to make these last ditch tackles but this is what happens when it doesn’t work perfectly. There’s no margin for error. It’s poor defending. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, malloy said:

From watching replay over n over again I believe the red was for what looked like delbridge attempting to swipe the ball with his arm to ensure it didn't go past him.

I take that back, when watching on a screen bigger than phone you can see delbridges eyes are always looking at where his feet were going. Not intentional imo and not a red.

True but you don’t need to be looking at the ball to know where it’s roughly heading. I reckon he makes a play at the ball with his arm, knowing that he’s over-committed and is terribly positioned. A very small play with the arm, but the intent is there for me. 

Just finished watching the reply. The forum whipping boys Jamison, was serviceable and Noone was quite good and should be played on the right.  

Delbo was unlucky copping a red but he is nowhere near last years form and deserved to be benched for Windy.

Florin also showed what he can offer and if the rumours of him leaving are true we will need to replace him with another creative midfielder. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harrison said:

True but you don’t need to be looking at the ball to know where it’s roughly heading. I reckon he makes a play at the ball with his arm, knowing that he’s over-committed and is terribly positioned. A very small play with the arm, but the intent is there for me. 

What caught out Delbridge there was that Pierias was actually cutting the ball back and not shooting, which is why it hit his trailing arm on the ground. I'm pretty sure Delbridge thought he was taking a shot.

Regardless though, it's a penalty and yellow everyday of the week. Definitely shouldn't have been a red.

Edited by rass
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

At my game we played the opponents off the park until Bouzanzis had a brain snap, the ref went stupid (maybe a pen but never a red) and then we played out the game. We were by far the best team for 87 minutes.

Out of likes but spot on.

WU never in it and never looked like it apart from those 5 minutes. What was glaringly obvious to me was that with an extra man with 15 minutes to go, they still never a got a real shot away and we still looked dangerous counting. 

Definitely need to eradicate those dumb split second panic decisions though (especially in the back half) as they can be so costly.

23 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Yes! And singing "When the Heart go marching in" with scarves held up - my favourite part of every match! 💗

I wonder if we could turn the club around eventually if the terrace just went full red and white. I’m sure this has already been thought of. 

13 minutes ago, Hanz said:

I wonder if we could turn the club around eventually if the terrace just went full red and white. I’m sure this has already been thought of. 

Probably hasn't. I noted quite a lot of R&W when walking from Richmond station to the ground. I actually believe that fan pressure could turn it around if members wore R&W to every match - it would be a very obvious visual message on TV and there's nothing that the UAE hates more than adverse media coverage. Especially something subtle like that. The Yarra end in R&W could be something special to see.

There was some talk last night that banners prepared by City Terrace had been vetoed by the club. Can anyone verify this?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Can't recall tarneit-ballarat-geelong-tasmania Utd passing halfway in the first half. The penalty rattled us a bit but l still thought we had enough in us to win the game.

It was only a block by Good that stopped a cracker from Diamanti or whatever he is called. Bloody good shot. If only our midfielders could do the same.

First half very good and pretty much played WU out of the game with 3 nil being a good reflection of possession and chances on goal.

Somewhat flatter start to the second half but the Bouzanis howler was the start of 2 penalty goals against us and a red card. By that measure surely Bouzanis was the most influential player on the pitch!

Some notable moments:

Windbichler kept Berisha in check. He did a good job.

Wales making marauding runs down the wing were good to watch just his final finishing needs work (as usual).

Brillante good again - he is very consistent. Luna's goal from a dink from Noone was a highlight. Berenguer good. JMac did what JMac does - poaches.

Kurto's brain fade. Bouzanis replied in spades.

Diamanti's first half left foot shot was pure class. Kept the ball down and forced a save. Worthy of any football competition in the world.

11 hours ago, Tommykins said:

The Delbridge Red was wrong - they eliminated the triple penalty years ago. 

Only applies to a football challenge which means normal challenges for a ball but gone wrong. Using the hand to stop the ball or holding the opposition player by the shirt is not considered a football challenge and hence the “triple” penalty still applies. The Delbridge incident was deemed to be preventing a “goal scoring opportunity” by the use of hand. If Delbridge hadn’t stopped the ball with his hand there were two Western United players to the left of where the incident happened and the ball was heading in that direction. Those two players only had Bouzanis to beat. 
As per the still photo Delbridge has made himself much larger by extending out both his arms. It’s the second time he has done this so he hasn’t learnt his lesson....

89027C54-F954-4564-B244-81AB945C4657.png

Edited by TheGaffer
Add more text

3 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

Only applies to a football challenge which means normal challenges for a ball but gone wrong. Using the hand to stop the ball or holding the opposition player by the shirt is not considered a football challenge and hence the “triple” penalty still applies. The Delbridge incident was deemed to be preventing a “goal scoring opportunity” by the use of hand. If Delbridge hadn’t stopped the ball with his hand there were two Western United players to the left of where the incident happened and the ball was heading in that direction. Those two players only had Bouzanis to beat. 

89027C54-F954-4564-B244-81AB945C4657.png

I'd argue that Delbridge challenge is a football challenge that's gone wrong, if you want to use those words

And even if you want to say that it isn't, there is no way you can 100% say that Griffiths won't get there first. The pass looks behind Berisha so it has to get to the 2nd guy

If VAR want to use the words clear and obvious to change decisions. Then this definitely wasn't that. It's a penalty and a yellow but its definitely not a red card

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, neio said:

I'd argue that Delbridge challenge is a football challenge that's gone wrong, if you want to use those words

And even if you want to say that it isn't, there is no way you can 100% say that Griffiths won't get there first. The pass looks behind Berisha so it has to get to the 2nd guy

If VAR want to use the words clear and obvious to change decisions. Then this definitely wasn't that. It's a penalty and a yellow but its definitely not a red card

Imo the still frame looks like the ball is Berisha bound. Still think the penalty and yellow card was enough though. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

It appears to be an endless debate but the current rules:

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/rule-changes-2019-20-handball-penalties-sustitutions-wall-free-kick-4824

Handball

Many in the game believe greater clarity is needed for referees when it comes to handballs, therefore the IFAB has re-worded a number of rules.

It stresses that a deliberate handball remains an offence but that the following scenarios will result in a free-kick even if accidental:

• if the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand or arm
  • a player gains control/possession of the ball after it touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • a ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
  • the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

However, the following will not usually be a free-kick unless they are one of the above situations:

• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
  • the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not made their body unnaturally bigger
  • if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body bigger)
  • if the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate kick from a teammate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle the ball

Delbo was deemed to have used his arm to stop the ball even though he appears to be using his arm to cushion his fall (which is not an automatic free kick according to above). We see one thing the refs see something else. VAR solves nothing in cases like this. It just adds another layer of officiating and another set of eyes with their own interpretation of the same situation. And kills the momentum of the game.

Edited by HEARTinator

Some interesting/pointless similarities between our two games against WU:

• City have won both games by a goal
  • Maclaren has scored two goals in each of the two games
  • Besart Berisha has scored a goal in each of the games
  • Both of Berisha's goals were from penalties
  • WU have not scored a goal from open play in either game (all goals being penalties)
  • In all of WU's penalties Bouzanis went the wrong way
  • None of WU's goals have been scored whilst Windbichler has been on the pitch
  • All of WU's goals have been scored in the second half
  • City have finished both games with 10 men
  • Delbridge was the person sent off in both games
  • In both games the total card count was city 4 v WU 3 (Delbridge's second yellow and red being treated as a single card in the first game)
  • Delbridge gave away a penalty in both games
  • Both of which were for a slide tackle resulting in handball.
  • Both of Delbridge's penalties resulted from a sloppy pass to Curtis Good (Metcalfe to Good in the first game and Atkinson to Good in the second game)
  • As mentioned above the same referee was in charge of both games
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 04/01/2020 at 7:36 AM, Shahanga said:

Pretty much, I have been in Moe and have just watched the replay, they didn't get anywhere near us apart from the two pens. 

17 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Delbridge one match ban upheld on appeal. 

Strange bye hopefully this gives Windbichler 90 minutes under his belt as I feel he deserves based on our defensive record this season.

I thought he was excellent when on and had Berisha in his pocket, I particularly felt he was winning the mental battle over Berisha often leaving Besart frustrated.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Delbridge one match ban upheld on appeal. 

Does any body know if his current tally of 4 x yellow cards still stand? ie one more yellow and he misses another game in addition to this upheld Red card suuspension. 

That wll suck big time if it does.

Edited by citymad
spelling

45 minutes ago, citymad said:

Does any body know if his current tally of 4 x yellow cards still stand? ie one more yellow and he misses another game in addition to this upheld Red card suuspension. 

That wll suck big time if it does.

Yes it still stands. It used to be that the yellow card tally increased from 5 to 8 after R21. I don’t know what it is now but he’s probably got a long way to go before it increases.