Melbourne Football

The Football League (Championship, League One, League Two)

scouse_roar

Birmingham City are such as mess, a far cry from 09/10 when they were doing pretty well in the EPL.

We are in a horrible situation due to our current owners. The fact that we haven't gone down to League One is an absolute miracle considering we've sold anyone that gets bidded on. 

Since our owners got us into our financial mess we have had to sell off the entire future of the club (Jordan Mutch, Nathan Redmond, Jack Butland) and any player that actually looked half decent (Curtis Davies, Jean Beausejour). A far cry from the glory days of the Carling Cup or even our first year of the Championship when we had Hughton around. 

Sadly the situation doesn't look like changing any time soon and the only people who have come close to buying the club are nutcases for the most part. 

• Like 1

Birmingham City are such as mess, a far cry from 09/10 when they were doing pretty well in the EPL.

We are in a horrible situation due to our current owners. The fact that we haven't gone down to League One is an absolute miracle considering we've sold anyone that gets bidded on. 

Since our owners got us into our financial mess we have had to sell off the entire future of the club (Jordan Mutch, Nathan Redmond, Jack Butland) and any player that actually looked half decent (Curtis Davies, Jean Beausejour). A far cry from the glory days of the Carling Cup or even our first year of the Championship when we had Hughton around. 

Sadly the situation doesn't look like changing any time soon and the only people who have come close to buying the club are nutcases for the most part. 

Yeh mate totally agree with you there.

Roger Johnson and Scott Dann almost got an England cap with their form. I think Zigic is the only player left from that team. Bloody disgrace we couldn't hang on the young guns you mentioned above, but why would they stick around when the club is such a mess. Yeh the sale situation is a mess and I'm also surprised we haven't been relegated yet. Hopefully it's not long before we can play the villa again and regain some pride.

Atleast we've won more silverware than arsenal in the last 8 years. KRO

Yeh mate totally agree with you there.

Roger Johnson and Scott Dann almost got an England cap with their form. I think Zigic is the only player left from that team. Bloody disgrace we couldn't hang on the young guns you mentioned above, but why would they stick around when the club is such a mess. Yeh the sale situation is a mess and I'm also surprised we haven't been relegated yet. Hopefully it's not long before we can play the villa again and regain some pride.

Atleast we've won more silverware than arsenal in the last 8 years. KRO

Zigic, Doyle and David Murphy are the only players left from that era. Although David Murphy barely gets on the park and Doyles a second keeper so barely counts anyway. Living in hope that Villa get relegated as I reckon our young boys would be totally up for that match.

Second City Derby in the Championship would be almost worth travelling over for. 

It's true, Zigic is a costly lump of shite.

I was in Birmingham for 12 months over 2010 and saw them play a number of EPL games and they evern drew vs Liverpool . I  was also there for the 2010 Carling Cup game Vs the Villa, and that concreted me a bluenose for life, what a win that was, combined with a full scale pitch invasion, police helicopters and riot police.

Kind of hard to be mad about Yeovil being bottom of the championship. It's still our highest ever league position. Just hoping the club hasn't over extended itself trying to stay up and will be secure when they return to league one. Have seen plenty of clubs who've gone up who probably don't have the finances to compete at Championship level end up being relegated from league one the following season after relegation from the champ. COYG!

Do many of you lads have sentanta sports on foxtel so you can watch championship games? If so is it worth it?

Stream it or go imp. If you're lucky enough that you get to watch your team on MOTD, it's probably once a month... $40 for one game a month is a bit steep. Why not spend that on beer/wine/spirits instead?

And at least if the game is rubbish on a stream, you can have other "more interesting" tabs open...

Used to have setanta for FA Cup/eredevise/SPL etc but it's not that amazing really. A lot of games are on at stupid times and you can't IQ from setanta (I don't think?? I can't remember)

$40 PC? Used to cost me $17p/m

It was $40odd when I last checked (about 5 years ago)...

Would still rather 2 pints, but that's just me....

Used to have setanta for FA Cup/eredevise/SPL etc but it's not that amazing really. A lot of games are on at stupid times and you can't IQ from setanta (I don't think?? I can't remember)

$40 PC? Used to cost me $17p/m

It was $40odd when I last checked (about 5 years ago)...

Would still rather 2 pints, but that's just me....

with you there mate, hence cancelling it.

• 1 month later...

Well i guess we'll see.  These stories are ugly, but then again hardly surprising given the amount of money rumoured to be bet on trivia.

I never like to hear people named in connection with a crime when they are not charged.  The media reports confused me though- how can you be both bailed and not charged?  Its either both or just "free to go" surely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting developments in the Championship, Brighton scored a 93rd minute winning header with Reading only managing a draw so Brighton finish 6th at Reading's expense with Birmingham City narrowly escaping relegation with a comeback from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Bolton, sending Lucas Neill's adopted loan club Doncaster into League 1. 

Play-offs will be Derby vs Brighton and QPR vs Wigan.